Factor Crimp Die or Standard Taper Crimp Die?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Factor Crimp Die or Standard Taper Crimp Die??

re223
09-20-2011, 12:29
What's the difference between the factory crimp dies and the regular taper crimp dies? Will one outperform the other? Thanks

fredj338
09-20-2011, 13:13
Depends, rifle or handgun? There will be mixed reviews, but I have no need for the LFCD in any handgun caliber, or rifle for that matter. At least in handgun ammo, it has been proven that they can negatively affect accuracy w/ some bullet types (plated mostly). Yes they catch the occasional round that is out of spec, but so does a case gage & w/ no negative accuracy affect.

PCJim
09-20-2011, 13:14
What's the difference between the factory crimp dies and the regular taper crimp dies? Will one outperform the other? Thanks

Well, yes, the Lee FCD will definitely generate more forum controversy than any regular taper crimp die.

The Lee FCD has a carbide sizing ring inside the die to insure the round will chamber. Some people swear by them to insure a fully functional round, others avoid them (when using lead projectiles) due to the deformation of the bullet which ultimately effects accuracy.

A regular taper crimp die does not resize the round, only removes the flare that you created for seating the bullet. Both dies will seat the bullet.

Colorado4Wheel
09-20-2011, 13:48
I fall into the camp of I don't need it, I don't want it altering my rounds with out me knowing it. I say get regular Crimp dies to start with and learn how to load with out it.

tjpet
09-20-2011, 15:11
If you know how to reload properly there's no need for a Lee FCD. It's a niche die for beginners and the sloppy, unattentive types.

IndyGunFreak
09-20-2011, 15:28
If you know how to reload properly there's no need for a Lee FCD. It's a niche die for beginners and the sloppy, unattentive types.

or for people who just buy the Lee 4 Die set, and see no reason to buy an additional die.

The FCD will work just as well as a taper crimp die. If it's doing all the post sizing, etc.. then there's a problem in your setup that needs to be corrected.

I don't really think the FCD makes ammo any more or less accurate, but YMMV.

IGF

fredj338
09-20-2011, 15:48
or for people who just buy the Lee 4 Die set, and see no reason to buy an additional die.

The FCD will work just as well as a taper crimp die. If it's doing all the post sizing, etc.. then there's a problem in your setup that needs to be corrected.

I don't really think the FCD makes ammo any more or less accurate, but YMMV.

IGF

Don't make me post test targets again Indy.:tongueout:

GioaJack
09-20-2011, 15:56
Don't make me post test targets again Indy.:tongueout:

Oh God... he's starting to get as bad as Wisky with his fake targets. :whistling:

Jack

HAMMERHEAD
09-20-2011, 16:00
Again, it would really help if you gave the caliber and type of gun.

RustyFN
09-20-2011, 16:06

Thanks, now I know what category I fit into. :rofl:

fredj338
09-20-2011, 17:56
Oh God... he's starting to get as bad as Wisky with his fake targets. :whistling:

Jack
My fake targets have all the holes touching & are certified at 100yds by your butler Jack.:wavey:

GioaJack
09-20-2011, 19:12
My fake targets have all the holes touching & are certified at 100yds by your butler Jack.:wavey:

Yeah, like I'd trust that lying bastard. :whistling:

Jack

WiskyT
09-20-2011, 20:09

Jack

Aren't you supposed to be in post-production by now?

GioaJack
09-20-2011, 20:18
Based on all the female companionship that is on the line I am immune by that which would temp you lessor men. I am now eating a peach. A week from this Friday I will be in Ft. Worth basking in southern female hospitality.

Production is in the editing stage and should be completed prior to my trip. Anyone know how to spell, NORTON?

Jack

WiskyT
09-20-2011, 20:23
Based on all the female companionship that is on the line I am immune by that which would temp you lessor men. I am now eating a peach. A week from this Friday I will be in Ft. Worth basking in southern female hospitality.

Production is in the editing stage and should be completed prior to my trip. Anyone know how to spell, NORTON?

Jack

He says as he pays of the old investors with money from the new investors. Ponzi was an Italian too, right?