Do they make a bullet seater with a built-in taper crimper?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do they make a bullet seater with a built-in taper crimper??

re223
09-20-2011, 12:38
Rather than to buy a separate taper crimp die and add another step into the reloading process on my SS press.

DoctaGlockta
09-20-2011, 12:45
Rather than to buy a separate taper crimp die and add another step into the reloading process on my SS press.

Some don't crimp at all. Depends on what you are reloading and shooting it in.

fredj338
09-20-2011, 13:09
I have yet to see a die manuf that does NOT have the ctimp ring built into the seating die. If you don't want to use it, back the die body out & just seat. If you want crimp; put a sized case in the press, run it up & screw the die body down until it touches, that is where the crimp starts. Screw it down another 1/4-1/2 tuirn & that is about all the tc you need.

Colorado4Wheel
09-20-2011, 14:05
Just use the existing seating die with the crimper built into it. Don't worry about what kind/what they like to call it. Remove the flare on pistol. Roll it in some on revolver.

GIockGuy24
09-20-2011, 15:04
What caliber? Auto pistol cartridge seating dies should have a taper crimp.(RCBS 357 Sig has a roll crimp though) Revolver cartridge dies should have a roll crimp. Redding started a revolver crimp that is claimed to be half way between a taper crimp and a roll crimp called a profile crimp in certain calibers. I think RCBS has more recently copied this for some newer dies in some calibers. Some offer a separate taper crimp die for revolver bullets that don't have cannelures for rolls crimps. I have heard that some Lee seating dies that are included in some die sets that include a Lee Factory Crimp Die may not have a crimp at all, but that's not the norm.

Colorado4Wheel
09-20-2011, 15:14
Most seating dies have a roll crimp built into them. Not a taper crimp. Exceptions do existt of course.

fredj338
09-20-2011, 15:50
Most seating dies have a roll crimp built into them. Not a taper crimp. Exceptions do existt of course.

Only in revolver carts IME. Every die I have for any semiauto round has a taper crimp; RCBS, Lee, Dillon, Hornady.

Colorado4Wheel
09-20-2011, 15:58
Only in revolver carts IME. Every die I have for any semiauto round has a taper crimp; RCBS, Lee, Dillon, Hornady.

Not talking about the crimp die. The seating dies have a roll crimp most the time.

HAMMERHEAD
09-20-2011, 15:58
Most revolver seating dies have a roll or profile crimp built in, most auto pistol seating dies have a taper crimp built in.
It would help to give the caliber you're concerned about.

Boxerglocker
09-20-2011, 16:02

The Horandy New Dimension dies I have for .380 ACP's are roll crimp. I called today and they don't offer a taper crimp for .380 ACP, nor will the 9mm/38cal taper die work for .380 ACP.

Actually, the tech I spoke to told me that all Horandy seater/crimp dies are roll crimp. They offer taper crimp dies for 8 calibers which do not seat, they are 38cal/9mm; 40SW/10mm; 400 Corbon; 45 ACP; 454 Casull; 460 SW; 475 Linebaugh; 500SW Mag.

Colorado4Wheel
09-20-2011, 16:24
Most revolver seating dies have a roll or profile crimp built in, most auto pistol seating dies have a taper crimp built in.
It would help to give the caliber you're concerned about.

Do you know this or are you just assuming. Because I have talked to Lee and Hornady and BOTH are roll crimp.

HAMMERHEAD
09-20-2011, 16:42
My RCBS 10mm/.40 dies have taper crimp. All my Redding revolver dies have profile crimp, in .38/.357 RCBS has both, RCBS Cowboy has roll, Hornady has roll, Lyman has roll, from Hornady's description for their 9mm dies-'The Seater Die features a roll crimp for most standard calibers, and a taper crimp for popular auto-loading pistol calibers.' not exactly worded clearly, evidently standard calibers = revolver calibers.
I guess we could go on and on, but I think most revolver dies have roll, and most auto pistol calibers have tapered is accurate.

Colorado4Wheel
09-20-2011, 16:43
RCBS makes the common Pistol calibers in a Taper/Seater and Roll/Seater. So you can get them either way.

HAMMERHEAD
09-20-2011, 16:45
Do you know this or are you just assuming. Because I have talked to Lee and Hornady and BOTH are roll crimp.
BTW, what caliber(s) are you talking about?

HAMMERHEAD
09-20-2011, 16:53
What I think is funny is that the OP starts with a rather lazy question and we manage to turn that into a FCD vs no FCD and taper/roll crimp argument amongst ourselves.

IIRC, we have hashed these issues out a time or two.

thorn137
09-20-2011, 17:03
I prefer to crimp directly in the chamber of the firearm... that way, you can be sure that the brass is EXACTLY the size it needs to be. Occasionally, it can be a bit difficult to get the slide to completely close, but that's why I keep a nice rubber mallet in my range bag.

;)

thorn

fredj338
09-20-2011, 17:58
The Horandy New Dimension dies I have for .380 ACP's are roll crimp. I called today and they don't offer a taper crimp for .380 ACP, nor will the 9mm/38cal taper die work for .380 ACP.

Actually, the tech I spoke to told me that all Horandy seater/crimp dies are roll crimp. They offer taper crimp dies for 8 calibers which do not seat, they are 38cal/9mm; 40SW/10mm; 400 Corbon; 45 ACP; 454 Casull; 460 SW; 475 Linebaugh; 500SW Mag.
That is stupid! The 380 does NOT roll crimp, why offer a die that doesn't work? Same for ANY of the semiauto rounds. I am glad I only have one set of Hornady & Lee dies then.

thorn137
09-20-2011, 18:29
The integrated crimp in the standard 9mm Hornady seating die - roll, taper, bilaterally compressed. or whatever the heck it is - works just fine. There's no need to get a separate taper die UNLESS you specifically want to crimp in a separate station. I've made a lot of rounds using the single die, and they shot just as well as the ones made with separate dies.

thorn

Boxerglocker
09-20-2011, 18:51
That is stupid! The 380 does NOT roll crimp, why offer a die that doesn't work? Same for ANY of the semiauto rounds. I am glad I only have one set of Hornady & Lee dies then.

Don't kill the messenger, I was :faint: myself.... Really regretful getting that dies set... I should have just used the bday credit I had and gotten RCBS ones.

The integrated crimp in the standard 9mm Hornady seating die - roll, taper, bilaterally compressed. or whatever the heck it is - works just fine. There's no need to get a separate taper die UNLESS you specifically want to crimp in a separate station. I've made a lot of rounds using the single die, and they shot just as well as the ones made with separate dies.

thorn

I'm having issues with moly coated .380 ACP bullets that I'm evaluating. The Horandy set/crimp die I have is shaving lead/moly prior to final seating depth.

GioaJack
09-20-2011, 19:08
In actuality every roll crimp die taper crimps as the first, or beginning stage of the crimp. It is simply a matter of adjusting the die properly. It makes no difference if the die manufacturer says the die has a taper crimp or a roll crimp... you can taper crimp either way.

Conversely you can not apply a proper roll crimp with a taper crimp die.

Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go eat my Lean Cuisine and protein shake.

Jack

Boxerglocker
09-20-2011, 19:17
In actuality every roll crimp die taper crimps as the first, or beginning stage of the crimp. It is simply a matter of adjusting the die properly. It makes no difference if the die manufacturer says the die has a taper crimp or a roll crimp... you can taper crimp either way.

Jack

Hmmm was actually thinking that myself..... good point Jack.

PCJim
09-20-2011, 19:39

Jack

:rofl: someone (probably that laughable butler) convinced him the Metamucil was a protein shake! :rofl:

GioaJack
09-20-2011, 19:44
Wise ass. :notlistening:

Jack

BTW... My new eating regimen is turning my egg with feet shaped body into a Greek God-like work of art. I even had to go out and buy a ten foot pole just to keep all the ladies at bay.

Eat your hearts out you married guys.

WiskyT
09-20-2011, 19:59
Wise ass. :notlistening:

Jack

BTW... My new eating regimen is turning my egg with feet shaped body into a Greek God-like work of art. I even had to go out and buy a ten foot pole just to keep all the ladies at bay.

Eat your hearts out you married guys.

That's a shame about your eating habbits 'cause I made a nice pot of "gravy" from scratch with all the tomatos that got ripe on the same day and some meatballs made with veal, pork and beef. I even peeled the tomatos so as not to offend your deilicate taste. I was going to overnight it out to you but I'll just take it for lunch tomorrow.

Colorado4Wheel
09-21-2011, 13:45
Don't kill the messenger, I was :faint: myself.... Really regretful getting that dies set... I should have just used the bday credit I had and gotten RCBS ones.

I'm having issues with moly coated .380 ACP bullets that I'm evaluating. The Horandy set/crimp die I have is shaving lead/moly prior to final seating depth.

You may never get the moly to work with a process of Seating and Crimping at the same time. Here is why. When you bend metal (which is the process of flaring and crimping) you have to bend the metal past the actual point that you want it to take it's final set at. So if you want "zero inward bend and also zero flare" you have to bend the metal inward towards the bullet. Then it will spring back a small amount and be at your "zero inward bend and also zero flare". This is not a issue when your just crimping. But if your seating and flaring then as your removing the flare you also moving the bullet. So the inward movement of the case will drag on the bullet as your at the final step of seating the bullet. Then the case spring back and has zero inward direction but it still was slightly inward while the bullet was being seated. Moly will tear easy.

njl
09-21-2011, 15:54
I have yet to see a die manuf that does NOT have the ctimp ring built into the seating die.

never used dillon dies?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Boxerglocker
09-21-2011, 16:03
You may never get the moly to work with a process of Seating and Crimping at the same time. Here is why. When you bend metal (which is the process of flaring and crimping) you have to bend the metal past the actual point that you want it to take it's final set at. So if you want "zero inward bend and also zero flare" you have to bend the metal inward towards the bullet. Then it will spring back a small amount and be at your "zero inward bend and also zero flare". This is not a issue when your just crimping. But if your seating and flaring then as your removing the flare you also moving the bullet. So the inward movement of the case will drag on the bullet as your at the final step of seating the bullet. Then the case spring back and has zero inward direction but it still was slightly inward while the bullet was being seated. Moly will tear easy.

I understand why, hence my reluctance to even try. I already ordered a Dillon taper crimp die.

GioaJack
09-21-2011, 16:19
never used dillon dies?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

I think Fred is referring to a 3 die set... that's the only way they used to come, seat/crimp in one die.

Jack