Texas State Law Inforcement [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Texas State Law Inforcement

dogchild
09-20-2011, 21:42
Driving from Ft Worth to Odessa Sunday afternoon, out west of Sweetwater
I was driving 75 mph when a large white Suburban passed me, On the side it said (Texas State Law Enforcement) and that was all it said, any ideas what Department this is?

Kuroineko
09-20-2011, 23:08
Do you remember what type of license plates it was bearing?

Cochese
09-21-2011, 02:01
I've never heard or seen such a thing. I call whacker.

acpd541
09-21-2011, 02:28
My google-fu and wiki search of TX law enforcement agencies didn't turn up anything either.

Gangrel
09-21-2011, 04:18
Since we have about a billion different law enforcement agencies it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

packsaddle
09-21-2011, 06:42
the fact it read "Texas State" instead of "State of Texas" is noteworthy.

could be Texas State University, but I doubt it.

indigent
09-21-2011, 08:44
You are not cleared to know about that agency. That's a double secret probation level answer. Do not ask anymore questions.

TheGreatGonzo
09-21-2011, 09:26
Well, I would be suspicious of any vehicle that has "Law Inforcement" written on the side. :rofl:

DaBigBR
09-21-2011, 15:15
I've seen some marked "bail recovery" vehicles with ambiguous graphics, but never anything that overtly whackerish...or maybe moreso because of the ambiguity.

SCSU74
09-21-2011, 18:34
Driving from Ft Worth to Odessa Sunday afternoon, out west of Sweetwater
I was driving 75 mph when a large white Suburban passed me, On the side it said (Texas State Law Enforcement) and that was all it said, any ideas what Department this is?

probably the cartel

dogchild
09-21-2011, 19:36
Do you remember what type of license plates it was bearing?

Texas plates, I'm guessing it had something to do with being so close to the border, but dont really know

Hack
09-21-2011, 20:11
Texas plates, I'm guessing it had something to do with being so close to the border, but dont really know

Official Texas plates, or POV Texas plates?

Straight Pipe
09-21-2011, 20:30
The words "Law Enforcement" does not establish it as an official police vehicle. For it to be considered a police vehicle it MUST have the words: Police, Sheriff, Constable, Department of Public Safety, Railroad Commission, Alcohol Beverage Commission, and there are some more that slip my mind at the moment.

Fallout
09-21-2011, 21:14
The words "Law Enforcement" does not establish it as an official police vehicle. For it to be considered a police vehicle it MUST have the words: Police, Sheriff, Constable, Department of Public Safety, Railroad Commission, Alcohol Beverage Commission, and there are some more that slip my mind at the moment.

Actually it does not have to bear any insignia to be considered an "Official Police Vehicle".

The marking requirement comes into play with case law regarding certain Penal Code offenses requiring Official Police Vehicles to be marked for it to be considered an offense such as Evading Arrest Using a Motor Vehicle Etc. Licensing also comes into play such as when you apply for Exempt plates on a Vehicle. You are only allowed to place Exempt license plates on "Officially marked vehicles which can apply to Any government entity whether it be the Sewer department or Fire department.

That being said it is most likely a "Demo Vehicle" for lighting or other equipment which is lent to law enforcement agencies to test out equipment.

When the Dodge Chargers first came out Whelen was pimping all of their Dodge specific lighting packages and loaning out a Charger only inscribed with "Whelen Law Enforcement" on the sides in the DFW area. I dont know how many times I saw that thing running the roads around the DFW area. I remember receiving several calls about a police impersonator and it turned out to be the demo car. (We had several real imposters running around pulling folks over that had received quite a bit of media attention at the time.)

The transportation code allows for an Agency head to allow the use of privately owned and non-governmental owned vehicles for official purposes which includes running Emergency Lighting Sirens etc in your POV if your Chief/Sheriff authorizes it. Several guys at my agency have old crown vics decked out with lights and Generic Police or Sheriff lettering as they work off duty jobs shutting down traffic on interstates or for other road construction projects and TXDOT requires the Emergency Lighting as apart of the contracts they issue to the Construction Firms.

I used to make fun of them until I realized the money these gigs payed. Now I pay to rent a car from one of them when I get one of the shifts since I dont do it enough to justify the expense of getting my own.

steveksux
09-21-2011, 21:50
He might be a wacker. Don't talk to him just in case.... :whistling:

Randy

ArsonCop
09-22-2011, 20:55
It maybe an off-duty police officer that works a side job of traffic control on highway construction jobs like they do in the Fort Worth area. Some of these officers either use their personal vehicles decked out with lights and magnetic POLICE markings or private barricade company vehicles that appear to be previous patrol units.

I pulled up on one while on duty one day and thought he was a Fort Worth PD officer until I noticed that all the lights on his car did not correspond with a Fort Worth unit. Turns out he was off-duty from another agency in the next county wearing their uniform, etc but in a traffic barricade company vehicle.

Hell I was jealous of all the LED's he had in his car, put my dept unit to shame big time.

Rabbi
09-22-2011, 22:14
could be Texas State University, but I doubt it.

That would be my guess.

CodyBoy
09-23-2011, 01:27
Did it have "EXEMPT" plates or not?

One sure fire way at least in TX if its legit.

I have taught my daughters that they are not to stop if attempted to be pulled over by anything that does not have "EXEMPT" plates.

Kuroineko
09-23-2011, 03:09
That would be my guess.

My first thought given the area the OP saw the vehicle is was some sort of republic of TX whackjob.

dogchild
09-23-2011, 07:28

I have taught my daughters that they are not to stop if attempted to be pulled over by anything that does not have "EXEMPT" plates.

Not sure didnt notice, it passed at a pretty high rate of speed, i was just trying to make since of what it said on the door.
I've been working in Odessa for the last 5 weeks and make that drive twice a week,
I'm going back out Sunday afternoon, If i see it again I'll take more notice, and post more info.

Cav
09-23-2011, 08:07

Exempt plates will be on an 'offical marked' vehicle from a government agency, not just law enforcement. A school janitor can have exempt plates displayed. Many DPS supervisors will have unmarked cars, that have a registration sticker and regular LP.

When the laws changes about 4-6 years ago (not the two year ago chase law for marked vehicles), there was a lot of changes as the State wanted the registration fee's.

I have seen many vehicles that were marked rather strange, they came back to the Austin area (AG's Office, DPS, TABC, Etc...).

Hack
09-24-2011, 19:06
There are federal agencies that do not always have vehicles with government plates. All of ours used to have Kansas state plates, not exempt; until we changed to go with federal government plates instead, with a one or two exceptions. This may have happened in Texas as well.

US Marshals may have state plates on some of their vehicles. All emergency lighting on ours is kept subdued, and we only use the minimum required by law on some of our vehicles, and that includes some other federal agencies, yet again. And, on top of that we can if necessary, and where approved use our own vehicles for official purposes. I am sure that applies with some other federal agencies as well. Although we don't stop people, we just move on through to our next destination, except for allowable stops; unless we are on an escape hunt, then we may with help from the locals, other agencies.

trdvet
09-24-2011, 23:50

A lot of Constables have regular plates.