View Full Version : Your Wackiest Pursuit

Hack
09-21-2011, 09:08
I will start off with:
http://youtu.be/kNwR9f0o1NM

OLY-M4gery
09-21-2011, 14:14
1 hour 15 minutes +

40 miles, u-turn, back to almost where it started, then another direction.

Spiked after the U-turn, they also got my partner.

Partner changed a tire and got back into it and caught up to it by the end.

Spiked multiple times, that also got 2 Troopers, beside my co-worker.

Driver was in a prior pursuit with me a few years prior, that lasted 45 minutes, and wasn't a good day for me.

larry_minn
09-21-2011, 14:39
Decade plus ago. 1:30 am. Drunk who would NOT stop. Two blocks down main street, right turn on highway, then a quick right into alley (maybe 120') then two blocks in alley, right turn then right on main street. Top speed 20mph. Around and around. One other car parked on main street. (bar owner)
It took a number of laps till a Officer from neighboring town could get woke up to drive over. Then the city gets upset because he is son of a big wig from out of area who owns a business in town. "Why did you have to arrest him?"

That Officer no longer is with Law Enforcement. He couldn't take the crap. He said. "I get chewed out if I do ticket, arrest anyone and I get chewed out if I don't"

DaBigBR
09-21-2011, 15:03
Officer from another PD tries to stop a car, guy takes off with two of their units in pursuit. Lead unit loses control (dip in the road + high speeds), hits a pole and bring electrical wires over the roadway. Second car terminates to avoid crossing the wires (maybe he thought that if he was going exactly 88 MPH and hit electricity that he would be sent back to 1955). Officer from the crashed car got out, but the car burned pretty much to the ground. That was something to see. The only things that really survived were the camera vault and all the forms in his clipboard.

Everybody and their cousin with a badge start looking for the car and a deputy finds it rolling about a mile or two from where it was shut down. Guy takes off again, heads south on a four-lane divided highway, and then inexplicably, does a U-turn within maybe two hundred yards of an interstate on-ramp and heads back the other direction, causing him to pick up about a half dozen additional pursuing units. I was coming off said off-ramp and joined in. As we went back up the highway he kept trying to take joining units head-on, rammed at least three marked cars, and was eventually pushed off the road by one of the deputies. Such maneuvers are not in their manual, but the deputy said that he figured that his car was already ****ed and the guy needed to be stopped.

Car stops, suspect bails and runs. Ends up cornered in a trailer park and puts up a mammoth fight. Five cartridges fired by four tasers, a few baton strikes, and a lot of wrasslin' later, he's in custody...and passed out. PBT up the nose was over .200 on a very soft exhale. The list of charges ended up being beyond substantial. To this day I'm somewhat amazed that he didn't end up getting shot. I actually posted about it when it happened...there was a (fatal) OIS in our county and a couple of troopers from the post that covers our county watched a guy blow his brains out (like three feet from them) earlier that day.

The ***** of it is that they actually let the guy out of jail after he pled guilty pending sentencing to attend his dad's funeral out of state. Guess who's in the wind now?

I also had a guy in a stolen intentionally back in to me last year, but other than that that wasn't very "interesting."

Cochese
09-21-2011, 15:14
Wackiest..

Stolen truck and trailer with golfcarts (plural) in back. Three counties, 6 agencies, we eventually caught them. But not before a deputy from a neighboring county supermanned his patrol car off the road, down an embankment, across a field, up the other side of the embankment, corkscrewed through the air before taking down an interstate freeway rated lightpole and landing on his roof.

They s-canned him later on after a few other incidents.

We caught the BGs in the truck.

The one that most impacted me?

DUI called in by a citizen, caught up to it, short failure to yield, and he cornered himself in a parking lot. Waited for me to get out of the patrol car and backed into it at 20+ miles per hour. I had got back in half assed to avoid getting run down and was twisted up in my seat trying to evade him.

He hit me just right (wrong) and destroyed my right collar bone, shoulder and mid upper back. I am now 24% permanently disabled. Need to schedule my second surgery soon. A total shoulder reconstruction as a follow up to my AC plasty.

*sigh*

Trigger Finger
09-21-2011, 15:22
For a time in LA it was common for black gang members , once you were pursuing them and before additional units could respond, of increasing speed to get further away from you then make a quick right or left turn.

The driver usually was the only person in the vehicle and he would bail out and rapidly run to the first house he was in front of a jump into the bushes, leaving the car running and traveling along at a medium speed. You come around the corner to see the vehicle about 50 feet down the road kind of slowing and go off the road and crash into a house. the suspect who is now 40 or 50 feet behind you begins running the opposite direction. the first few times this worked pretty good.

Then we would look to see if after the turn the vehicle had a driver or not. If it didn't we would stop and look for the driver there. After we found the driver it would be some time before he could drive again!!

Cochese
09-21-2011, 15:23
After we found the driver it would be some time before he could drive again!!

:dancingbanana:

DaBigBR
09-21-2011, 15:24
Cochese: you should have shot the mother****er. Your first one reminded me of another one.

When I was brand new I stopped a car for speeding. He pulled around the corner on to a street that ends in a ravine. Stopped right next to the "dead end" sign. He's drunk, driving on a work permit (about an hour from home, but i was "okay" because he was "down here with work people). Try to start field sobriety and he shoves me, jumps in the car, and tries to take off. I'm trying to pull him out by one arm (had the presence of mind not to get in to the car and off balance). He's got it floored, but can't get it in to drive. His lone passenger jumps out the passenger side just as he gets it in gear.

I jump back in my car, chase him the (maybe) two tenths of a mile up the street, but lose sight of him due to the head start he got and a small rise in the road. Come over the rise to find what I recall to be only about 35 feet of skid marks that just disappear. Start fire and EMS as I'm getting out of the car. I shine my light down in to the ravine and see the car. It struck, while airborne, and fell, a tree with a nearly two foot trunk. The tree turned the car 180 degrees and landed it ass first in the bottom of the ravine. Our guess is that he was at close to 65 before he realized he was screwed, so he was really moving when he jumped it. The bottom of the ravine is probably close to forty feet below the road and the embankment is pretty steep.

I figure I'm going to shine my light down there and see a body. He took off with both doors open, so they probably didn't latch all the way, was really flying, he crashed hard, had all of the windows down (sunroof included), wasn't belted, etc. Imagine my shock when his dumb, drunk, dazed ass is crawling out the passenger window. I yell out "stop" and he looks right back at me, stops what he's doing, and yells "no!". Short foot chase and we had him in custody. He claimed that we beat him with our flashlights, which is absolutely not true.

It was my first pursuit and I was sure I was somehow going to be in trouble for it, but was not.

Cochese
09-21-2011, 15:35
Cochese: you should have shot the mother****er. Your first one reminded me of another one.

I have MMQB'd myself to no end over this.

Given the location and situation, I had absolutely no cover, other than my car. I had a large sedan, in reverse at WOT, heading straight toward me. My backdrop also consisted of an office building with unknown occupancy.

Training kicked in and I was reminded that I am much safer INSIDE a vehicle when facing an oncoming car then I am out of it. I did what I thought was right at the moment.

If I had taken the time to draw my pistol and fire, his car would have most likely continued toward me/my patrol car, and struck it in the same location (push bumpers) and taken me (in the door frame) off my feet and under some cars. The BG pushed my patrol car back over a dozen feet. I don't believe it would have been in my abilities to backpeddle, or even run dead out, at 20-25 miles per hour.

Also, if I wasn't in the car to stop it (he broke my transmission lock) it would have rolled into a large metropolitan hospital parking lot (1000's of cars).

I am the first guy here to advocate shooting a MFer when he/she needs shot, but I feel I made the correct decision in this instance. Even if it did cost me my health.

*shrug*

(he got time served (90 days +/-) and probation FWIW. :faint: )

larry_minn
09-21-2011, 21:41
Its really sad how little punishment offenders get for serious attacks. But major punishment for non violent issues.

If you attack a Police Officer with a deadly weapon (car does qualify) you should be charged with attempted murder of Police Officer. (and hopefully get the "PREMEDITATED" put on it) "I didn't want to get arrested so I put car in R for (run Officer over) and smashed into his squad"

DaBigBR
09-21-2011, 21:53

Given the location and situation, I had absolutely no cover, other than my car. I had a large sedan, in reverse at WOT, heading straight toward me. My backdrop also consisted of an office building with unknown occupancy.

Training kicked in and I was reminded that I am much safer INSIDE a vehicle when facing an oncoming car then I am out of it. I did what I thought was right at the moment.

If I had taken the time to draw my pistol and fire, his car would have most likely continued toward me/my patrol car, and struck it in the same location (push bumpers) and taken me (in the door frame) off my feet and under some cars. The BG pushed my patrol car back over a dozen feet. I don't believe it would have been in my abilities to backpeddle, or even run dead out, at 20-25 miles per hour.

Also, if I wasn't in the car to stop it (he broke my transmission lock) it would have rolled into a large metropolitan hospital parking lot (1000's of cars).

I am the first guy here to advocate shooting a MFer when he/she needs shot, but I feel I made the correct decision in this instance. Even if it did cost me my health.

*shrug*

FYI definitely not second guessing you, just voicing my thoughts on a more desirable outcome.

Hack
09-21-2011, 22:02
Keep bringing them on. I don't have anything but foot pursuits for what I do. One of the weirder ones is that I was threatened with, "CO you touch me I am going to hit you." My response: Looks like you need to turn around and cuff up." He turned around and cuffed up, and proceeded to make a show of things on his way to the seg unit.

SAR
09-21-2011, 22:19
This is my wackiest pursuit. The pursuit almost took out a news van. They filmed the crash. They let me take a video of their monitor. I wish I had a better copy. It was crazy....

http://youtu.be/Y3VQy1y1J-w

Trigger Finger
09-22-2011, 00:23
Talk about a less than desirable outcome!!!

This happened in the early 80's in SoCal area. A CHP officer had someone stopped and as writing a citation when some nut drives by and shoots at the officer. Officer not hit but his black and white was hit. I think it happened on the Antelope Valley freeway (14). Pursuit and suspect and weapon are taken into custody.

At the trial for attempted murder on an officer, the suspect claims (true story) That it was his birthday and they were playing his favorite song on the radio and he used the gun he carries for protection to celebrate and fires a few shots into the air. He was not shooting at anyone and does not know how the CHP vehicle was hit. Perhaps it happened days earlier!

The retarded LIBERAL jury found him not guilty. I get livid just telling this story!!!:steamed:

DaBigBR
09-22-2011, 08:15
This is my wackiest pursuit. The pursuit almost took out a news van. They filmed the crash. They let me take a video of their monitor. I wish I had a better copy. It was crazy....

http://youtu.be/Y3VQy1y1J-w

The camera man in that video is Paul Anderegg, and the blue Crown Vic with the trunk open is his car. He used to be a a regular on the Crown Vic forums, but went off the deep end a few years ago. I stopped posting over there quite a while back, so I don't know what became of him. He actually was an LAPD officer in the early-mid '90s and last I knew was working as a stringer.

Somewhere I have a really high quality copy of that video that he posted.

deadcalm4u
09-23-2011, 18:12

*shrug*

If you can sleep at night with the decision you made, then you made the right one. Too bad you couldn't have stood up after the dust settled and sent him where he should go.

90 days? Are ******* kidding me? What a joke:upeyes: You got a lifetime and he gets 3 months, get the F outta here.

Broke Hoss
09-23-2011, 22:18
Funniest chase? I'm on a traffic stop & can hear a motor revving a couple of blocks away. After I finish my stop, I go hunting. I find a 2ton dump truck loaded with concrete in the middle of a residential area (0330 hrs) lurching down the road. Obviously the driver has no clue about driving a standard transmission. But he got better when I turned on the red/blues & off we went at the blazing speed of maybe 20mph. He never got it out of granny gear; I guess he felt he was finally moving so why mess with success.

After about 5 minutes we still haven't got out of the neighborhood, but had made a couple of corners. He stalled it on an incline......and now he's rolling back towards me. I reversed & we did this for about 100ft.

Truck stops & I can see he ain't getting it started; he's trying to start it in gear with his foot off the clutch. I exit & give verbal commands, but I can tell he's drunk & cannot make out what he's yelling back. I go ahead & approach as I pull my asp to break the door window. When I climb up & jerk the door open, he lunges for something on the passenger side. I used several forehand & backhand strikes to any part I could reach.

Sgt shows up & goes at him from passenger door. This allows me to crawl in on top of the BG a little better. About this time is when said SGT fills the cab with OC spray. So I just grab what I can & jump down to the ground; bringing BG with me.

We hit the ground, me on my feet & him on his head, about the time all the cavalry is getting there. Which was good because I couldn't see anything.

Guy was indeed DWI, & had stolen the truck from a construction site about 5 blocks away. He was just trying to make it home on a cold night. But the video, with my in car commentary made the rounds of the department.

Vigilant
09-23-2011, 22:36
The camera man in that video is Paul Anderegg, and the blue Crown Vic with the trunk open is his car. He used to be a a regular on the Crown Vic forums, but went off the deep end a few years ago. I stopped posting over there quite a while back, so I don't know what became of him. He actually was an LAPD officer in the early-mid '90s and last I knew was working as a stringer.

Somewhere I have a really high quality copy of that video that he posted.

I remember him from CVN. Had a '98 Vic with ported/polished PI heads.

DaBigBR
09-23-2011, 22:38
I remember him from CVN. Had a '98 Vic with ported/polished PI heads.

Yep. Car was nicknamed "Turbo Vic", even though it was definitely not turboed. Were you around there when he went totally off the deep end? That really was a weird place at times. Between Paul flipping **** and Owen Ward becoming Erin Ward...

Sharky7
09-23-2011, 23:05
Saw what i thought was a hand to hand in a bar parking lot well after closing time, so ended up going after one of the guys as he was pulling out. Chase was on, lost sight of him after he took the sidewalk for a bit and I got called off. Started checking the area, hoping he darker out and pulled off into a driveway or parking lot.

See what I think is the car backed into a private drive, I zoom in and box him in and foot pursuit on driver. Female passenger stays put...I stay with her and the car and call out the description as he is running. Turns out car was NOT the car who ran on me, just totally crazy odds it matched description. Male driver was kicking the crap out of his girlfriend and she was bloody from the face and mouth - she was thankful I showed up when I did because he had threatened to kill her with a knife because he thought he was flirting with her boss. K-9 caught him a few hours later....

Original car got stopped pulling into his driveway by a neighboring town who the plate registered out of. Moron still had an 8 ball and 3,000 on him. We seized the car as well.

Not the craziest when it comes to driving, but what are the odds of catching a violent domestic in progress when looking for a car from a chase...it was pretty fun and all, but very overwhelming to deal with both cases at once. Lots of coffee and sugar, and a ton of paperwork.

Cochese
09-24-2011, 02:21
FYI definitely not second guessing you, just voicing my thoughts on a more desirable outcome.

:cheers:

I feel the same way everytime it gets cold.

If you can sleep at night with the decision you made, then you made the right one. Too bad you couldn't have stood up after the dust settled and sent him where he should go.

90 days? Are ******* kidding me? What a joke:upeyes: You got a lifetime and he gets 3 months, get the F outta here.

Crazy isn't it.

4949shooter
09-24-2011, 05:38
Wackiest..

The one that most impacted me?

DUI called in by a citizen, caught up to it, short failure to yield, and he cornered himself in a parking lot. Waited for me to get out of the patrol car and backed into it at 20+ miles per hour. I had got back in half assed to avoid getting run down and was twisted up in my seat trying to evade him.

He hit me just right (wrong) and destroyed my right collar bone, shoulder and mid upper back. I am now 24% permanently disabled. Need to schedule my second surgery soon. A total shoulder reconstruction as a follow up to my AC plasty.

*sigh*

That is a tough situation to be in, Brother.

The most important thing is that you reacted. It could have been much worse.

4949shooter
09-24-2011, 06:11
Hmm...my wackiest pursuit..

I guess it would be while working a midnight shift on the NJ Turnpike. By policy, we ride double patrols on midnights, and my partner and I were stopping a vehicle on the northern end. The car isn't stopping, so my partner who is driving pulls along side it and the driver motions to us, like he doesn't understand or something. We get behind him again and he still isn't stopping. Back then the old radios had a tough time reaching the top end of the turnpike, depending on the conditions. I was able to call the pursuit in, but what I didn't know was that the remainder of my radio transmissions could scarcely be heard by our personnel at Newark Station. We got to the top end of the turnpike and the vehicle flees through the toll for the George Washington bridge and now we are crossing over into New York City. I am telling our station over the radio but apparently they can no longer hear me.

So...we cross over into New York. The driver gets off one of the exits, I don't remember if it was 6th street or 16th street. I am advising our station but they are not receiving. Now we are in New York City, and the vehicle we are pursuing is bouncing off parked cars and still continuing. We are passing pedestrains walking, prostitutes on corners you name it. I am trying to advise of our location as best I could, but the station couldn't hear me so it didn't matter anyway. Finally, the vehicle slows down and lets out it's passenger. My partner slows and lets me out. I chase this dude into a dark alley. I saw a railing and I jumped it. The problem was it was the railing to a stairwell and I fell straight to the bottom. I landed on my back on the concrete stairs, but my vest partially saved me. Somehow I had sprained my ankle badly, but didn't find out until the next day.

So I run up the stairs and back into the alley. There is a fence at the end and I can see the suspect struggling to get over it. I make it to the fence and he is gone, so I climb the fence and I rip my forearms open on the chain link fence points as I am going over. I fall to the ground and continue down the alley but the suspect is gone. I have no portable radio, no flashlight, and I have no idea where I am. I start yelling profanities at the suspect just in case he is in hearing range. Finally, I hear sirens off in the distance and think to myself, "The cavalry is coming." A couple of plain clothes NY cops find me first. We start looking for the suspect and one of them sees him climbing up a drain pipe. We get him down, and there is a struggle as we take him into custody. The problem is, he had cut himself on the same fence points that I had cut myself on, and his blood is all over me.

By now there are a dozen NY cops on scene. I am reunited with my partner, who could not locate the driver of the vehicle after he dropped me off. This was pre HR 218, and one of the NY guys tells us (jokingly) that they are going to have to arrest us for being in NY with our duty weapons. Lol..

I had to undergo HIV testing due to this incident. This was in the early nineties, and due to suspects' rights we could not have him tested. It also turned out that due to the poor radios we had back then, my squad had no idea where we were.

I also got into a lot of trouble with the admins for chasing a car over state lines. Too bad I say..

Vigilant
09-24-2011, 08:37
Yep. Car was nicknamed "Turbo Vic", even though it was definitely not turboed. Were you around there when he went totally off the deep end? That really was a weird place at times. Between Paul flipping **** and Owen Ward becoming Erin Ward...

My handle on CVN was Virginiamountainman. I remember bits and pieces of Paul's demise. Owen becoming Erin? I don't recall that one. Sounds like Owen might have become a beaver with a lever? :rofl: I do recall the handle Owen Ward tho.

Remember a snot-nosed kid named Corey with a '92 Vic ex-K9 car that still smelled like a kennel inside? He was such a stupid litle nerd, he had Ronman about ready to blow a gasket. It was almost as though someone.... another member..... signed on as a make-believe poster, and made every possible effort to get under Ron's skin, without making it like like he was trying to......

I can't imagine anyone being that cruel to poor Ron, and I would NEVER...... uh...... let's change the subject... :supergrin:

golden_eagle
09-24-2011, 10:50
Definitely my wackiest

It was night shift and we had just finished giving a cite for something. I finished the log for the stop and as I close the screen on the computer my partner is looking in the rear view and says “WTF are they doing?” About a quarter mile back there was a car stopped in the median ( four lane divided county road) and he could see someone walking back and forth in front of the head lights. There was no traffic that night so my partner backs his car down the shoulder and crosses and parks us in front of the van. We get out and see a POS van with the hood up and driver so busy under the hood he doesn't even know we pulled up.

We make contact with the idea of getting an assist, but its immediately obvious he is drunk and maybe high. When he realizes we aren't there just to help him with his van anymore he bolts across the road into a cotton field. He was 5'7” and looked like he weighed 110 and seemed like he was “the fastest kid alive”. He got tripped up and we were on top of him. While trying to get the cuffs on him my partner yells to get off him cause he saw him trying to get something out of his waist band. I didnt hear him and was still trying to cuff the hand I had, but he slips away and takes off again. Partner deploys taser and he drops like a rock, but when he falls he rolls and both probes come out. He lands face up on the ground and puts both hands down the front of his pants trying to get something with a look on his face I will never forget. We are both screaming commands and getting ready to shoot this dbag when his hands come out empty and he immediately bolts back the other direction towards out vehicles. He has a 15 or 20 yard lead and all I can think is that he is about to get in our car and leave us standing here with his POS van. I breathe a sigh of relief when he locks himself into his broken van instead. I run up to the drivers side and have him at gunpoint trying to open the door when the damn thing starts and he takes off with the hood still up.

We catch back up and see he is trying to drive like Ace Ventura with his head out the window, but isn't having much luck. He realizes that isn't going to work so he gets out of the window and sits on the door and tries to close the hood while doing about 40mph. When that doesn't work he gets back in the van and starts throwing tools and a toolbox out the window trying to hit our car. He blows through a red light and weaves his van between two cars pretty well considering the hood is up. He turns into a neighborhood and is going too fast for the next turn and slams into a big oak tree. He hit hard enough the back of the van came up off the ground at least a couple of feet.

I gave our position and requested an ambulance expecting him to be in bad shape. As that is leaving my mouth he climbs out the passenger window and is off again. I radio that he is on foot again and take off (didn't have a portable at the time). He runs behind a trailer with my partner about ten yards behind. I run around the other side of the trailer to cut him off, and as I am about to turn the corner I hear him being tackled to the ground. I make the corner and see some guy (turned out to be the home owner) had tackled him. We got him into cuffs after a little struggle and I start walking him to the car while he is saying that he cant breath cause I had broken his nose :whistling:. My partner thanks the homeowner for his help and the guy says “You aren't going to believe this, but I was in my house watching COPS!” :rofl: He was enjoying his COPS episode when he hears the sirens and the crash and runs on his back porch right as dbag and my partner turn the corner. He bailed off the porch like superman and brought the guy to the ground.

The van had several of the components needed to make meth and we found a large ziplock full of stuff that field tested positive for meth that he had thrown during the chase. While explaining to him what an idiot he was I asked him what he had in his pants that was important enough to get shot over. He claimed he was just trying to pull his underwear up. :upeyes: Searched the entire area and never found anything but the large bag he threw during the chase.

Panzergrenadier1979
09-24-2011, 13:48
Definitely my wackiest

It was night shift and we had just finished giving a cite for something. I finished the log for the stop and as I close the screen on the computer my partner is looking in the rear view and says “WTF are they doing?” About a quarter mile back there was a car stopped in the median ( four lane divided county road) and he could see someone walking back and forth in front of the head lights. There was no traffic that night so my partner backs his car down the shoulder and crosses and parks us in front of the van. We get out and see a POS van with the hood up and driver so busy under the hood he doesn't even know we pulled up.

We make contact with the idea of getting an assist, but its immediately obvious he is drunk and maybe high. When he realizes we aren't there just to help him with his van anymore he bolts across the road into a cotton field. He was 5'7” and looked like he weighed 110 and seemed like he was “the fastest kid alive”. He got tripped up and we were on top of him. While trying to get the cuffs on him my partner yells to get off him cause he saw him trying to get something out of his waist band. I didnt hear him and was still trying to cuff the hand I had, but he slips away and takes off again. Partner deploys taser and he drops like a rock, but when he falls he rolls and both probes come out. He lands face up on the ground and puts both hands down the front of his pants trying to get something with a look on his face I will never forget. We are both screaming commands and getting ready to shoot this dbag when his hands come out empty and he immediately bolts back the other direction towards out vehicles. He has a 15 or 20 yard lead and all I can think is that he is about to get in our car and leave us standing here with his POS van. I breathe a sigh of relief when he locks himself into his broken van instead. I run up to the drivers side and have him at gunpoint trying to open the door when the damn thing starts and he takes off with the hood still up.

We catch back up and see he is trying to drive like Ace Ventura with his head out the window, but isn't having much luck. He realizes that isn't going to work so he gets out of the window and sits on the door and tries to close the hood while doing about 40mph. When that doesn't work he gets back in the van and starts throwing tools and a toolbox out the window trying to hit our car. He blows through a red light and weaves his van between two cars pretty well considering the hood is up. He turns into a neighborhood and is going too fast for the next turn and slams into a big oak tree. He hit hard enough the back of the van came up off the ground at least a couple of feet.

I gave our position and requested an ambulance expecting him to be in bad shape. As that is leaving my mouth he climbs out the passenger window and is off again. I radio that he is on foot again and take off (didn't have a portable at the time). He runs behind a trailer with my partner about ten yards behind. I run around the other side of the trailer to cut him off, and as I am about to turn the corner I hear him being tackled to the ground. I make the corner and see some guy (turned out to be the home owner) had tackled him. We got him into cuffs after a little struggle and I start walking him to the car while he is saying that he cant breath cause I had broken his nose :whistling:. My partner thanks the homeowner for his help and the guy says “You aren't going to believe this, but I was in my house watching COPS!” :rofl: He was enjoying his COPS episode when he hears the sirens and the crash and runs on his back porch right as dbag and my partner turn the corner. He bailed off the porch like superman and brought the guy to the ground.

The van had several of the components needed to make meth and we found a large ziplock full of stuff that field tested positive for meth that he had thrown during the chase. While explaining to him what an idiot he was I asked him what he had in his pants that was important enough to get shot over. He claimed he was just trying to pull his underwear up. :upeyes: Searched the entire area and never found anything but the large bag he threw during the chase.

There is so much win in this story that I've got goosebumps. :rofl:
10 extra points for the COPS reference. :supergrin:

Hack
09-24-2011, 16:10
All interesting stuff. I think it is good to tell about our interesting highlights.

Another memory I have goes with where I am working currently. I was not even employed yet and was there for a physical. The day I am there for the physical shots are fired on the yard, and a thug is brought in to the prison hospital for assessment. The thug was beaten so badly he expired some time later due to the nature of his injuries. They were doing mass checks of thugs coming off of the yard as I was exiting. Fun times!

slama683
09-24-2011, 23:08
Got into chasing a crotch rocket as a second unit. Became the primary after the lead car spun out (Note to others: Spinning headlights in your roadway during a pursuit is bad okay).

Anyway, followed the bike outta town to a bridge. Now, there are two bridges side by side, the modern highway bridge and a scenic route bridge that connects to the highway on both sides of the river.

The bike crosses on the modern bridge, then cuts back on the loop over the scenic bridge. Naturally I follow. Unbeknownst to us, there is a group of high-schoolers on the scenic loop.

On the dash cam, you can see a bunch of kids lining the sides of the road as I go past. The overhead lights reflect beautifully off of the cans of beer they're holding.

slama683
09-24-2011, 23:15
Again, second unit in a chase. Driving a ten year old Impala front wheel drive with a trashy rear end. Going around a corner, the back end slips out and pulls the car into the ditch sideways, driver's side in the lead. The car hits an embankment and flips over onto its top.

As I hang there suspended upside down by my seatbelt, I am planning on how to get down without landing on my head. I form a plan and release the seatbelt. I needed a better plan because I still landed on my head.

I bust out the passenger's side window with my SL-20 and crawl out of the car. As I'm standing next to the car, which still has grill lights flashing away, the primary unit reports that the suspect doubled back, and asks if I saw where he went. I report that my car is upside down in the ditch.

Shortly thereafter, a State Trooper who is also trying to catch the pursuit pulls up. I jumped in his passenger seat and tell him "Drive". He looks at me, looks at my car with the flashing lights, and looks at me again. I repeat "Drive", and we are off.

Long story short, we caught the guy, it took me two days to find all my stuff that had been displaced inside the car, and our part-time dispatcher hated me because when she called the Chief to notify him of the pursuit she repeatedly told him to "Make them stop".

Cochese
09-25-2011, 01:50
That is a tough situation to be in, Brother.

The most important thing is that you reacted. It could have been much worse.

Agreed.

I'm glad I can still work for a living.

Pepper45
09-25-2011, 05:58
Mine pales in comparison, but here it is anyway. Bored out of my skull, but sitting on a problem intersection, and I see what looks like a dual sport motorcycle blow the stop sign at about 10mph. He looks over, sees me, and he's off. I thought it strange, and tried to get with it to catch up quickly, and it was good that I did, as he's passing cars in the median. Traffic is thin, it's about 0100, so I decide to go for it. He doubles back, hits a highway, then off on a back road. Pulls a wheelie several times, and while I can't tell what it is, I can tell he's got something strapped to his back. He gets his bike wound tight, and can't shake me, he's topped out at 85. He runs a few miles down this straight road, and I hear my chief jump in as secondary, but she's a ways back. Everyone else is way out of position.

Anyway, guy makes a couple turns, and is too late deciding which way he's going to go, and loses it into a ditch, and goes head first into some boulders on the other side. That's when I see what he's got, it's a disassembled mountain bike, strapped to his backpack, which is fastened around his waist with his bike lock cable. The motorcycle is a Honda dirtbike, with only a weak little headlight, and off road tires. Guy is high as hell on meth, has a bit on him still, and is on felony probation. He goobered up his knee in the crash, and refused stitches when we went to the hospital. He told me he was gonna foot bail, but couldn't get off the ground with his pack and his bicycle strapped to him, and he couldn't remember the combination to the bike lock to get it off before I ran up.

Cochese
09-25-2011, 10:33
My shortest pursuit...

I was doored up with a buddy and we were on the side of a highway after clearing a call. Two young guys on their sport bikes decided to do stand-up wheelies right past our marked cars. I was facing the wrong way, so I had to turn around and ended up as number two.

Primary guy gets on the air and says that he has "two motorcycles failing to yield heading south... OH CRAP, WE NEED FIRE, MEDICAL, EVERYTHING."

I then noticed the fireball in the sky. The two bikes were entering an overpass at 125 mph-140 MPH and a girl in a sedan couldn't see or hear them. They hit her broadside as she pulled out. Guy number one hits the trunk, airborne and lands about 40 feet away. Compound bilateral tibfib and femur destruction. He STILL gets up and tries to walk over to the other guy to check on him.

Other guy hit the front fender but the windscreen snagged his torso and kept him on for the sudden stop. Tank explodes and sends a fireball in the sky. Guy passes out from the trauma but Burns to death on dash camera while we are hitting him with extinguishers.

I will never forget that one. The sedan driver was a college girl. She was in shock and couldn't speak at the scene. I had to send her to the hospital as she was catatonic.

Stupid squids.

DaBigBR
09-25-2011, 10:48
...and he couldn't remember the combination to the bike lock to get it off before I ran up.

I have this mental image of your meth head lying in the ditch trying different combinations as fast as he can... :rofl:

Fernman
09-25-2011, 11:16
Pretty tame here compared to you all --

Bored, working midnights on a street coming off a housing project. Car goes by, 2 over, nothing hinky. Second car close behind it, same speed. Wait a tick... same license plate.

Get behind, verify same tag on both cars, and light it up. Front car continues at speed limit or slightly over, pulls off into convenience store, backup units snatch her and get a distribution charge. He continues up, pulls into a dead end behind some apartments, and punches it. Jumps a sidewalk at about 60, narrowly avoiding some drunks on the sidewalk and continues, makes a turn into a very nice neighborhood that I know well (my folks live there) and continues about 70 up the hill. I know from many years this hill has an abrupt crest and I back off, and he jumps it, tries to bail, and smacks the front porch of a house, bounces off of it, and head on into an oak tree where car stops. He foot bails and I lose him in the woods. No K-9's avail and he skates for the night.

Other driver ID'ed him and I end up pulling DNA off of his gin and juice still in cupholder. On parole for robbery transporting stolen car. His homeboys said he had a gun on him but never recovered it.

Yankee2718
09-25-2011, 23:37
And we just got our stop sticks taken away. Supervisors only. I think we need some anti tank missiles in their place. :supergrin:

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Pepper45
09-26-2011, 00:09
What exactly would make them take stop sticks away from patrolmen? You know, the guys who're actually going to be in the chase, instead of responding to the chase from the office?

Defender77
09-26-2011, 01:30
My boring story:

My partner and I are on patrol when a call comes in that a stolen car has been spotted parked nearby in a parking lot.

By the time we arrive at the lot, the car has already left.

Few minutes later, as I'm checking some side streets....my buddy calls over the radio that the car is right in front of him and he's gonna initiate a ts.

I quickly pull a u-turn and head straight for his location....only to see the stolen car now driving right toward me on the two lane road.

Honestly, I thought he was gonna try to ram me head-on....but instead he just whizzed on by.

Turned my boat of a car (Crown Vic) around, as my buddy in his patrol car zoomed past me to pursue the stolen vehicle.

I then floored it and the chase was on.

It was interesting/scary to see how the dynamics of my car changed during the pursuit....the tires began heating up and felt like they were sliding on the road when I changed lanes.

Almost like I was on ice.

The stolen car had two guys inside and of course they didn't give a rip if they crashed into something or someone....so they kept on going full throttle onto a busy freeway.

The Sgt came on the radio seconds later and ordered us to stop chasing.

larry_minn
09-26-2011, 14:45
My boring story:

It was interesting/scary to see how the dynamics of my car changed during the pursuit....the tires began heating up and felt like they were sliding on the road when I changed lanes.

Almost like I was on ice.

.... The Sgt came on the radio seconds later and ordered us to stop chasing.

Were those (IIRC Z rated tires?) High speed rated? I have found when I am driving HARD its better when the tires warm up. (traction wise)

I would guess if overinflated/when it gets warm it MIGHT reduce footprint?

Or was it just the speed/you need to reduce sharpness or turns/think longer/more gentle...

Lt Scott 14
09-26-2011, 15:14
My partner was driving 1985 Caprice(V8-350) squad and we had a "request for assistance" from the county dispatch. "Vehicle southbound to your town, multiple units in pursuit, can you deploy stop sticks and advise?" No sticks, will stand by.
Whoosh, 5 vehicles, lights,sirens the works. Jumped on the end and joined parade.
All of a sudden: SHTF, now pursuit down to us, all others have 10-50d each other.(wrecked 4 squads) We are it.
Guy 360d then attempt to evade by crashing into drivers door of our car. Well BS pal. My partner floored the Chevie and shoved the perp into a ditch filled with about 2' of water. While he was screaming to not let him drown, I jumped on the hood of his car, and drew my Sig 220, 45Acp and announced he would be shot or drowned if he resisted. Threw his hands up. The End.
Convicted of 5 felonys, 8 misdemeanors, 11 infractions. Think he got 12yrs in jail.
My mailbox in the station had a picture of "Dirty Harry" taped on it and note of" Thanks" from the county guys. No one was injured, lot of cars banged up though.
"Made My Day"

series1811
09-27-2011, 13:49
I was working undercover, with my radio gear and blue light locked in the toolbox of my vehicle. It was a buy bust and when the arrest team tried to box in the two dealers I had bought from, one of them got his car through a gap and the chase was on. After going about five miles north on a four lane street through the city, he made a u-turn and came back south. I got my stuff out and joined in the chase as he went by, with the snitch in the car yelling for me to let him out.

I told him if he wanted out, he could jump out the next time I slowed down for a turn.
Uh, oh! He did! :wow: :dunno:

Defender77
09-28-2011, 16:26
Were those (IIRC Z rated tires?) High speed rated? I have found when I am driving HARD its better when the tires warm up. (traction wise)

I would guess if overinflated/when it gets warm it MIGHT reduce footprint?

Or was it just the speed/you need to reduce sharpness or turns/think longer/more gentle...

Not sure if they were z-rated....probably just the standard-issue, Crown Vic tires.

Our dept doesn't go all out for tires, though they probably should.

I do remember when we were chasing the guy, he was driving so erratically, I had trouble keeping the vehicle in my sights.

He was just going anywhere and everywhere and didn't care if he crashed or not...u-turns here.....lane change there....etc. :steamed: