Anybody have the new Caprice's yet? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have the new Caprice's yet?

Hollywood D
09-21-2011, 21:09
We're supposed to get ours in November, 30 of them. SUPPOSED to, I say. Hopefully we do because our crown vics are literally falling apart. We don't have any in my district with under 95k miles. 120k+ is the norm.

So, anybody have one yet and have anything to say about them?

Mattz
09-21-2011, 21:56
They look awesome... I'm jealous. We're getting another round of Crown Vics... ugh

DaBigBR
09-21-2011, 21:59
I believe NoGlamour229's part time cop job just got one...I haven't seen it yet myself.

toddmog
09-21-2011, 22:05
We ordered three in June...so we thought. Called last month to get an update and the dealership never placed the order. Sheriff wasn't happy. We are going with chargers now. Since it's so late in the year now we might get 6. The dealer is supposed to be giving 2011 pricing on the ones we would be ordering for 2012. We shall see what happens. All I know is we have 3 stripped down CVPI's sitting in the lot waiting to be replaced.

HotRoderX
09-21-2011, 22:15
Not a police officer but I have seen some around town. I don't know what agency they where with but they looked slick. We have several different agency that come around my area Including some Government agency.

dano1427
09-21-2011, 22:42
My dept is looking at them, but are concerned about the unibody and reliability. The Tahoes we have are in for service more than they're in the field.

rookie1
09-21-2011, 23:52
We have 3 CV's sitting in stand by until 3 cars reach the end of their life, then we managed to wrangle up another 3 or 4 more CV's somewhere and are awaiting their arrival. After that, I don't think anyone has a clue what were doing. We have 2 tahoes, one supervisor and one patrol. A select few like them but a majority of folks don't like it. I wont drive it. I guess someone behind a desk will just buy something when the CV's are all used up and go with it without any officer input. Happens most the time and everyone is disappointed.

BlackPaladin
09-22-2011, 02:16
I have one as of last Friday afternoon. I was able to get a B&W as requested but denied on a slicktop. It has a factory navigation system and in dash DVD.....not sure why, but not complaining either. I am griping because I really was hoping for a 4x4 SUV as MN winters take their tolls on 2wd cars. I will post pictures when it gets back from outfitting.

Roadkill_751
09-22-2011, 06:23
Our command staff has the detective package cars. The Sheriff's has already been in the shop twice. One for the radiator hose falling off and something else.
The cars are made in the land down under, so it is hard to get parts for them.

Our fifteen marked cars are allegedly in and being painted.

Good luck if you ever get them as we were suppose to take delivery back in June or July.

Mayhem like Me
09-22-2011, 07:44
YUP we have 6 admin cars for about 3 months and now the black and whites are rolling in...

scottydl
09-22-2011, 15:28
We'll be sticking with Chevy, so Impala's are coming eventually. I thought we were getting them now, but the 6 new squads that just arrived are 2011 Impala's. Rumor is 6 more replacements soon, so I'm assuming those will be Caprice's.

siblueg
09-22-2011, 15:44
We got 2 about a month ago, but have yet to be equipped or marked. They are alot better than the new interceptors coming out. I have had the chance to drive both the caprice and the new interceptor on closed courses and the caprice is definetly the winner in all categories

Hollywood D
09-22-2011, 21:01
Supposed to get them in June and still waiting? That doesn't make me happy. Seriously, our cars barely run anymore. One has a wicked exhaust leak and sounds like a tractor from the '70s going down the road.

BlackPaladin
09-22-2011, 22:20
So the race is on then for the first CT member issued Caprice picture. If its not "yours" it does not count.

msu_grad_121
09-22-2011, 22:40
So the race is on then for the first CT member issued Caprice picture. If its not "yours" it does not count.

Take home, assigned, or pool car?

Milltown
09-24-2011, 07:50
Take home, assigned, or pool car?

As long as you patrol with it on a regular basis.

BlackPaladin
09-26-2011, 14:40
As long as you patrol with it on a regular basis.

That seems fair

collim1
09-26-2011, 15:49
We have one that we are T&E'ing right now. I haven't tried it out personally, but it looks sharp.

My CVPI is on its last leg, I have been in her over three years now.

PuroMexicano
09-26-2011, 16:38
I lost 35 seconds of my life and haven't seen any pics yet :supergrin:

tercel89
09-27-2011, 07:20
I just wish our Dept. would WISE up and get some RELIABLE cars like a Toyota or Honda . These American cars just dont cut it. They over heat , break down and burn oil like a 2-stroke.
We dont carry American guns , so why should we drive American cars ?
I am a part-time mechanic and tell my other officers this and they laugh , but at the same time , we have had 4 brand new Impalas that overheated and ruptured their head gaskets .
The Crown Vics suck . Ford has made them well over 20 yrs and they still cant get it right .
I say buy Japanese .

DaBigBR
09-27-2011, 09:07
I just wish our Dept. would WISE up and get some RELIABLE cars like a Toyota or Honda . These American cars just dont cut it. They over heat , break down and burn oil like a 2-stroke.
We dont carry American guns , so why should we drive American cars ?
I am a part-time mechanic and tell my other officers this and they laugh , but at the same time , we have had 4 brand new Impalas that overheated and ruptured their head gaskets .
The Crown Vics suck . Ford has made them well over 20 yrs and they still cant get it right .
I say buy Japanese .

Have you ever tried to sit in a Japanese car with a duty belt on? I've got an eighth generation Accord and a 32" waist and don't fit in the seat with the belt on. Until and unless one of the Japanese manufacturers sees fit to build a proper police car, you're not going to see it.

Vigilant
09-27-2011, 17:20
I lost 35 seconds of my life and haven't seen any pics yet :supergrin:

Pervert. :rofl:

tercel89
09-27-2011, 20:27
Have you ever tried to sit in a Japanese car with a duty belt on? I've got an eighth generation Accord and a 32" waist and don't fit in the seat with the belt on. Until and unless one of the Japanese manufacturers sees fit to build a proper police car, you're not going to see it.

Yeah I have . Before we had take home cars , I drove my 1989 Toyota Tercel to work and back everyday with my full uniform on . And for your information , the Tercel was the smallest Toyota made at that time in America. I had no problem with it . I was 5-11 and 189lbs.

Goldendog Redux
09-27-2011, 20:34
If my dept got enough brand new bichen rides to outfit everyone, the car ****** would figure out a way to assign me a rig with at least 80k miles and enough boogers under the seat to chink a log cabin.

MF

blueberry1177
09-27-2011, 20:56
My buddy was testing those at the MSP track and said that he didn't like the way that the car would prevent him from braking in a steep turn or something like that because the computer would override it. maybe they fixed it though. sharp lookin cars needless to say

WarCry
09-27-2011, 21:15
I don't know if they're on the street yet (probably still be outfitted, if I had to guess), but our city council approved two of these for the new cars going into rotation. Moving from the Impalas, I'm not sure how many they do each year, but it's a start.

Markasaurus
09-27-2011, 21:22
I have worked it for 30 years. They'll all be CEL defects. Give them 3 years no 4, to sort it out. This is what always happens.

siblueg
09-27-2011, 21:42
It's a Pontiac g8 it's been out for a while

M1Garand
09-27-2011, 21:49
For the current stock vehicles for LE agencies, the best one I have seen was a black Camaro. Fast, slick, and impressive.

S&WM&PAR15T&G34
09-28-2011, 09:49
http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/09/27/1521427/tech-junkie-police-cars-092711.html

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/caprice/2012/2012-chevrolet-caprice-police-patrol-vehicle-claims-bragging-rights-in-testing.html

http://www.chevroletcapriceppv.com/?seo=goo_|_2010_Police_|_Fleet_Caprice_PPV_|_New_Launch_|_caprice#home

silverado_mick
09-29-2011, 11:18
Our first marked Caprice is in, but hasn't hit the street yet. It'll be the Lt's car first, so it's gonna be a loooooong time till I get behind the wheel, but I'll still try to post a pic when it finally hits the road.

AngryBassets
09-29-2011, 14:26
We're supposed to get ours in November, 30 of them. SUPPOSED to, I say. Hopefully we do because our crown vics are literally falling apart. We don't have any in my district with under 95k miles. 120k+ is the norm.

So, anybody have one yet and have anything to say about them?

We have about 20 cars in our primary fleet: some 2003 CVPI's at ~150k, 2005's at ~110k and some 08 Chargers pushing 60k. We *need* cars.

We had a loaner Caprice here to check out last week. OMFG; that thing is F A S T. The dealer had 6, but, typical bureaucracy, the dealer isn't on the state contract...so we couldn't buy them, and the ETA for the next batch is 6 months.

On to the Chargers, which have served us well. They are 10-16 weeks out. As much as we like the new changes that Dodge has done, that was too long to wait.

Soooo...I went to the only dealer in this area of state who has Crown Vics last week and picked out 6 CVPI's, already equipped with cages and nice light packages. Waiting for the paperwork to go through so I can go get them. We're screwed if they're sold before the bank and admin gets the money to them.

I *really* wanted the Caprice. They look like the Impala (which are turds), but I was shocked at how much room they had and how fast they were.

scottydl
09-29-2011, 15:49
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/images/smilies/this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

Somebody had to say it.

Hollywood D
10-02-2011, 18:22
Were now supposed to start getting them next week. They sent out pics in the dept email. They look pretty good. It has 2 cup holders, a rifle rack and the V8. I heard the city maintenance shop already has a poll going on how long it is before some cop totals one. I guess they're pretty fast.

COLOSHOOTR
10-03-2011, 04:00
Some of you guys are lucky even if you're having to wait for them to roll out of the shop. We have still have no ETA on new cars even though most of our fleet has over 100k of hard inner city driving.
Not to mention the missing paint spots. I guess it's kind of nice nice because the bangers will never notice me with my ghettoflage paint sceme. I might even get really lucky and they might even stop to help push my dead car off the road thinking it's just one of the homies stalled out again.

Rumor is we won't be getting cars for atleast another two years unless they are insurance replacements for accidents where Officers were not at fault. I don't see how thats going to work because by mid next year 75% of us will be on bike/foot patrol since there will be nothing left to drive.

Pepper45
10-03-2011, 15:29
We ordered two. They canceled the order because of some arbitration issues soaking up the money allocated for new cars, but I got to see them parked at the dealership.

UrbanOps
10-03-2011, 15:47
We're supposed to get a couple. Who knows when though. Still got some 02-05 Vics running around. We've got a bunch of cars with WELL over 150k. Our first batch of 06-07 Charges have a bit over 100k. Our admin moved their Chargers over to patrol and the majority got used ex-HP CVPI's with 30k-ish miles on them. Perfect for their needs in my eyes. We've got 4 new Tahoes only 2 on the patrol side, however.

NoGlamour229
10-03-2011, 18:37
I believe NoGlamour229's part time cop job just got one...I haven't seen it yet myself.

The agency I work at part time just got one. Although I have yet to drive it...those that have, said it will do 160mph easy. Not sure why I would ever need to go that fast. The officers who drove it said the handling is quite awesome as well.

A side note, the seats fit a duty belt nicely...and seemed comfortable when I sat down (however, I will let you know after an entire shift of sitting). Essentially the car is a Charger killer...6.0L V8.

scottydl
10-03-2011, 18:44
Do all the new Caprice's (police package) have the V8? If not, I can see my agency opting for the V6's if they are cheaper. At the moment we have several "brand new" cars (12 I think), but they are all 2011 Impala's.

Mayhem like Me
10-03-2011, 19:11
this year all v8 6.0 liter cop motors.... Next year the direct injection 330 HP v6 will be available

Hollywood D
10-04-2011, 13:37
I believe a turbo V6 is supposed to be available at some point. I don't see many agencies going to those though, mostly because of maintenance issues. And I don't know that Chevy uses a turbo in anything right now except diesel engines.

actionshooter10
10-04-2011, 15:26
Ya'll make me laugh. Our cars average 225k at retirement.

The rumor is that we're going to all Tahoes post CVPI.

We just got a new shipment of about 16 CVPIs. Here's hoping they will be the last of them.

BlackPaladin
10-25-2011, 03:52
Here it is, sort of a terrible cell phone pic, I am suprised I posted up here first.

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/51/1019111723paintedit.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/1019111723paintedit.jpg/)

MeefZah
10-25-2011, 07:13
Looks good!

Yeah, I have an '07 Civic coupe and there is no way I can get in with duty gear on. For court days I put my belt on in the parking lot...

Yeah I have . Before we had take home cars , I drove my 1989 Toyota Tercel to work and back everyday with my full uniform on . And for your information , the Tercel was the smallest Toyota made at that time in America. I had no problem with it . I was 5-11 and 189lbs.

A 1989 model would have been sans console, non-sculpted seats, no armrest; yeah I could fit in that with gear on.

scottydl
10-25-2011, 07:49
Here it is, sort of a terrible cell phone pic, I am suprised I posted up here first.

We have a winner!! Well done.

Now is that car actually "in service" yet? It looks like it's kinda sitting in a fleet garage waiting to hit the streets. ;)

nikerret
10-25-2011, 09:23

Now is that car actually "in service" yet? It looks like it's kinda sitting in a fleet garage waiting to hit the streets. ;)

What makes you think that? I can spot a proper tactical deployment vehicle; and that orange tank of justice is awesome.

Rabbi
10-25-2011, 09:30
We have them. They are getting loaded up and we should have them on the streets in a few weeks.

Morris
10-25-2011, 11:00
I ain't impressed until I see (car) junk in the trunk photos. With as much crap as we have stuffed in our vics now, I hope whatever coming on line has enough room for the radio equipment, spare tire, jack, cones, flares, stop sticks, water, PPE kits, haz mat kits, blood vials, tape, spit masks and so on.

EODLRD
10-25-2011, 11:21
We aren't getting but I have to say they look interesting.

Hearing the mileage you guys retire rigs at ( 225k :wow: ) for once I like one of GSA 's rules. Ours go away around 60k.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Cochese
10-25-2011, 11:43
We're testing these and the Charger.

I don't like the Charger at all. Looking forward to some seat time in the Caprice.

fran m
10-25-2011, 14:41
Had one at our fleet garage for the fleet manager and mechanics to check out. Had the 6.0 liter engine.

I sat in it. The seat didn't go back far enough and the door sill was high, making egress difficult. Didn't get to drive it.

I'm 6'2" 235, I would rather have a Tahoe type vehicle, easier to get in and out of. I'm having back problems now, a herniated disc. I wonder how much the CV seats which are sunken low, have to do with it.

Oh, and the rumor was that we couldn't get them anyway since they are not american made. Anyone know about this?

BlackPaladin
10-25-2011, 14:46

It is in service, that is just a general equipment garage.

BlackPaladin
10-25-2011, 14:48
we couldn't get them anyway since they are not american made. Anyone know about this?

That has to be true, because as we ordered ours, it was delivered to San Diego by a cargo ship, then loaded by train and taken east.

fran m
10-25-2011, 15:12
I don't know what the deal was with prohibiting non-american made vehicles. I heard it was a Pennsylvania law. I have not been able to verify if this really true or not.:dunno:

ryanm
10-25-2011, 15:21
I don't know what the deal was with prohibiting non-american made vehicles. I heard it was a law. I have not been able to verify if this really true or not.:dunno:

I'm told that LA state has such a law. Not sure who else might.

WarCry
10-25-2011, 18:01
Oh, and the rumor was that we couldn't get them anyway since they are not american made. Anyone know about this?

The new Caprice is a "Captive Import", meaning it's made overseas (in this case, Australia) with the purpose of being rebadged and sold in another country. In this case, it's a Holden Caprice that WAS going to be imported as a Pontiac G8, but since Pontiac has gone away now....

Holden is still a GM company, but the manufacturing is done in Australia.

Goldstar225
10-25-2011, 18:01

Don't know about the rule but heck, the chargers, Crown Vics and Impallas I've seen were assembled in Canada.

We my get the Caprice next year. Anything's better than the charger. Our's have less than 60,000 miles and seem to spend more time in the shop than on the road. (brakes, fuel pumps, front ends etc....)

pgg00
10-26-2011, 05:00
We just ordered a bunch of new chargers. We have one we just got a month ago (less then 3k miles now). Got issued to a Sgt who babies it (Dodge is his favorite). It already ended up in the shop for tranny and motor problems.

When I was asked what I wanted when my car is rotated out I asked for an Expedition or Tahoe. We shall see :whistling:

Morris
10-26-2011, 10:20
It already ended up in the shop for tranny and motor problems.

Consistent complaint from what I hear in the lower part of our area.

vanilla_gorilla
10-26-2011, 10:50
I'm awaiting what happens when our next one dies. It's an 04 CVPI that is literally on it's last legs.

Problem is, Ford has a dealership in our town, where the other two dealers are 20+ miles away. Hence, the boss has decreed the replacement shall be a Ford somethingorother. I dunno what they have that's suitable, though.

Hollywood D
10-26-2011, 16:54
Wells our are being outfitted with MDCs this week. I saw them sitting at the shops the other day. Should be ready pretty soon. It will be nice to have something new to drive.

silverado_mick
11-18-2011, 17:17
Not striped yet, but I guarantee you that I am the first kid on my block to have driven one of these babies! It's AMAZINGLY big inside. I'm 6'0" with long legs and I couldn't reach the pedals with the seat all the way back. The seats are very comfortable, the cabin is surprisingly roomy for how small the car looks from the outside, and there is an exorbitant amount of room in the back seat as well. Handles great, drives very small, and I must say that it's very nice to be sitting behind a big Chevy powerplant again. All kinds of power on tap, and smooth as butter in it's delivery. All in all, my initial impression of it is VERY pleasing. Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics, but I took these after I parked it and turned over the keys to my Sgt, who of course would not give them back after seeing the ear to ear grin on my face!

The only negative things that I noticed in my short time driving it were that the "A" pillars are fairly wide and create a decent sized but managable blind spot and the controls for the power windows and locks require you to mimic t-rex with your left arm to manipulate. Small complaints considering what this baby brings to the table otherwise.

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww155/spd1719/CIMG0039.jpg

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww155/spd1719/CIMG0037.jpg

matt86
11-20-2011, 18:29
Not striped yet, but I guarantee you that I am the first kid on my block to have driven one of these babies! It's AMAZINGLY big inside. I'm 6'0" with long legs and I couldn't reach the pedals with the seat all the way back. The seats are very comfortable, the cabin is surprisingly roomy for how small the car looks from the outside, and there is an exorbitant amount of room in the back seat as well. Handles great, drives very small, and I must say that it's very nice to be sitting behind a big Chevy powerplant again. All kinds of power on tap, and smooth as butter in it's delivery. All in all, my initial impression of it is VERY pleasing. Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics, but I took these after I parked it and turned over the keys to my Sgt, who of course would not give them back after seeing the ear to ear grin on my face!

The only negative things that I noticed in my short time driving it were that the "A" pillars are fairly wide and create a decent sized but managable blind spot and the controls for the power windows and locks require you to mimic t-rex with your left arm to manipulate. Small complaints considering what this baby brings to the table otherwise.

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww155/spd1719/CIMG0039.jpg

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww155/spd1719/CIMG0037.jpg

I really like that... Rumor around here is that our last batch of CVPI's are already in and the next couple batches will be the caprice.. but we'll see. My dept tested a charger but doesn't like it.

Bodyarmorguy
11-20-2011, 18:40
We just took delivery this past week on 7 new Caprices. They still need to have the decals placed on them, radios and other electronics installed, etc. According the head-wrench at maintenance we should see the first one on the road in the second week on December and all fielded by the first of the year.

blueiron
11-20-2011, 19:50
Check the VIN for vehicles since 1981.

If the car is made in Australia, it will have 6A-6W as the first characters of the VIN. If the car is made in NZ, it will have 7A-7E.

P.S. The car looks okay, but fender vents? Really... they are pointless and fugly.

msu_grad_121
11-20-2011, 19:57
P.S. The car looks okay, but fender vents? Really... they are pointless and fugly.

I dunno, I don't particularly mind them, one way or another. I'm geeked to see these on the road. I think properly striped they'd look awesome, and from what I've heard from a guy that tested them with MSP, they're amazing all the way around! Woo hoo!

faceplant
11-20-2011, 21:26
Wells our are being outfitted with MDCs this week. I saw them sitting at the shops the other day. Should be ready pretty soon. It will be nice to have something new to drive.

They looked small when I saw them sitting there. If you guys drive a little slower the paint may stay on these. :tongueout: Give an update.

The City is going to buy me somthing new to drive next year. A little slower, a lot bigger and way more expensive.

blueiron
11-20-2011, 23:22
I dunno, I don't particularly mind them, one way or another. I'm geeked to see these on the road. I think properly striped they'd look awesome, and from what I've heard from a guy that tested them with MSP, they're amazing all the way around! Woo hoo!

People were all frenzied about the Charger a few years back, all agog about the Hemi. Now, it's real and perceived faults are known and complained about.

The Caprice will be no different. Looks and initial impressions are often deceiving - ask any divorced man. :wavey:

msu_grad_121
11-20-2011, 23:40
People were all frenzied about the Charger a few years back, all agog about the Hemi. Now, it's real and perceived faults are known and complained about.

The Caprice will be no different. Looks and initial impressions are often deceiving - ask any divorced man. :wavey:

:rofl: I don't think that's exclusive to divorced guys, but I see your point! Seriously tho, this guy is some guru in the state of MI and goes to all of MSPs tests on behalf of MCOLES, so someone trusts his opinion. He said he liked the Charger in straight line acceleration, and (ironically) the Impala from a few years back for the tight stuff, but he wouldn't stop ranting and raving about the Caprice. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, huh? :dunno:

scottydl
11-21-2011, 07:34
I guess we'll just have to wait and see, huh? :dunno:

Yep, just like anything new. First year or two may have its issues, that aren't known until they arise under regular fleet use around the country. A few laps around a racetrack and cone course probably won't really test the vehicle endurance all that much.

Still seems like we don't have a winner here yet! Only counts if the vehicle is in full service and being driven by YOU for daily patrol duty. ;)

DoogieHowser
11-21-2011, 12:27
We have a mix of cars that are all WELL over retired but scuttlebutt is the Chief screwed up and purchased the GPS tracking software (15k) to enable our radio tracking without getting approval first. Because of that they canceled our vehicle orders... We were supposed to get SUV's of some sort but now we get nada. The chargers we have are falling apart at less than 60k and the other cars we have are well over 150-200k...

Mayhem like Me
11-21-2011, 13:22
The new Caprice is a "Captive Import", meaning it's made overseas (in this case, Australia) with the purpose of being rebadged and sold in another country. In this case, it's a Holden Caprice that WAS going to be imported as a Pontiac G8, but since Pontiac has gone away now....

Holden is still a GM company, but the manufacturing is done in Australia.

Incorrect, the Caprice sits on a Longer Chassis than the G8 , these were never going to be Pontiacs..FYI

Roadkill_751
11-21-2011, 13:48
Here is a photo of one of our 14.

dano1427
11-21-2011, 14:04
Interior photos? How is all the radios/computers installed with the floor mounted shifter?

My agency won't even look at these because they are unibody construction.

Rabbi
11-21-2011, 14:06
Here is a photo of one of our 14.

That looks pretty sharp. I like B&W cars. We are going to leave ours white...blah.

Roadkill_751
11-21-2011, 14:18
dano1427;18188500]Interior photos? How is all the radios/computers installed with the floor mounted shifter?

It isn't worth a photo. The powers to be told us that they had only one choice of the equipment console. They did not ask for any input from the troops before deploying these cars. The BIG downer is no cupholders. The computer mount is where that a passenger can't ride.

Now the Fleet Captain told us that he had ordered a Jotto Desk just made for the Caprice. We will just have to see what that looks like.

I will just keep my Charger.....

My agency won't even look at these because they are unibody construction.

Unfortunately most of the newer cars are unibody, even the Chargers. Thanks Swat for the correction..

Mayhem like Me
11-21-2011, 14:20
Chargers are Unibody.. the CV is the sole Body on frame ....

Mayhem like Me
11-21-2011, 14:21
BTW the safest cars in crashes are Unibody...have been for quite sometime

silverado_mick
11-21-2011, 16:14
The floor shifter is small, unobtrusive, and far less in the way than I thought it would be. We have the jotto deck mount for the computer and console, and it's definitely roomier for both driver and passenger than the CVPI. I'll try to get a pic next time I'm at the office. I don't do much time there anymore since I've been reassigned.

WarCry
11-24-2011, 19:08
Saw one of our two new Caprice's on the street on my way to Turkey Day Dinner today. Looks damn sharp, in my opinion. Didn't get a close look since he went past me, then I was behind him for a few blocks, but at least one is "in the wild" here now.

BLACK Z
11-24-2011, 19:28
I like our Chargers, We have the Hemis The jail got the Sixes, We have put around 200,000 Miles before we retire them and that is in 2 to 3 years. We have blown a couple Motors and had tons of tranny trouble with the early ones but that isnt a problem anymore.

They still feel tight after all those miles as well. I would like to see these and Tahoe as our only vehicles, I hate the impalas.

DaBigBR
11-26-2011, 00:12
Happened to read the PFM review of the 9C3 (unmarked) version tonight. The 9C3 was delivered first and I'm guessing was what they had to test. It was easily the most positive review I have ever seen from PFM. They praised the performance, the size, and most importantly the seat. They flat out called the seat the best seat in any squad car ever.

BLACK Z
11-26-2011, 15:18
Do You have a Link to that review? For some reason I am not finding it.

DaBigBR
11-26-2011, 15:57
Do You have a Link to that review? For some reason I am not finding it.

We get the magazine at work. Can't even say it was the current issue that I was looking at...just the first time that I had seen it. I'll see if I can get a hold of it next week, scan it, and send it to you as a PDF or something.

WarCry
11-26-2011, 16:07
We get the magazine at work. Can't even say it was the current issue that I was looking at...just the first time that I had seen it. I'll see if I can get a hold of it next week, scan it, and send it to you as a PDF or something.

Not sure if it's the same one, but I found this, because I'm a bit of a gear-junky, and like reading stuff like this (even though I'll likely never see one other than driving past me):
http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/articlearchive/details.aspx?ID=207662

eta: NM, after reading it, that was a "preview", not a "review".

BLACK Z
11-26-2011, 16:11
If you could that would be great, I d Like to pass it on to the powers that be.

silverado_mick
12-02-2011, 16:29
Our new one got striped up today and I managed to get some decent pics.

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww155/spd1719/caprice5.jpg
http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww155/spd1719/caprice4.jpg
http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww155/spd1719/caprice2.jpg
http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww155/spd1719/caprice7.jpg
http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww155/spd1719/caprice6.jpg
http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww155/spd1719/Caprice1.jpg

silverado_mick
12-02-2011, 16:30
One more of the interior, since someone wanted to see the jotto desk mount (I think).

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww155/spd1719/caprice3.jpg

BLACK Z
12-02-2011, 16:46
Looks Mean from the front but like a Impala from the rear. Inside looks nice.

scottydl
12-02-2011, 17:12
^^ Of course the Supervisor gets the first one... :upeyes:

WarCry
12-02-2011, 19:03
Looks Mean from the front but like a Impala from the rear. Inside looks nice.

I thing it looks wider at the wheels from the rear, with a sharper taper to the bumper. My main reason for thinking this is that our cars have a car number on the rear...is still the quarter-panel, the section just behind the back wheel, at the bottom of the body. On the Impalas, you can't see that from behind, but the Caprice has it tapered back to see.

If I think about it, I may ask someone I know there to get some pics of it.

silverado_mick
12-02-2011, 22:59
^^ Of course the Supervisor gets the first one... :upeyes:

Hahahaha! It's the same with all our new cars, then by the time they get rotated down to regular patrol and things start breaking it gets blamed on the patrol guys. Just the way things are here, not worth trying too hard to change.

Oh, and that's actually the Sgt's car, the Lt's have an Excursion thats ugly as sin, huge, and an absolute pig to drive.

Mattz
12-03-2011, 13:17
The computer looks a little far away... or nay? I'm assuming it can be pulled in?

silverado_mick
12-03-2011, 16:10
The computer looks a little far away... or nay? I'm assuming it can be pulled in?

Yeah it moves and can be adjusted to wherever you want it pretty much.

WarCry
12-03-2011, 16:45
Yeah it moves and can be adjusted to wherever you want it pretty much.

Back seat? Have the customers key in their own info while you're driving, make life easier on ya?

:cool:

Morris
12-03-2011, 16:58
Yay! Seatbelts on the outside of the seat.

siblueg
12-06-2011, 15:22
Drove it today

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm313/RSXmoneypit/059e54b3.jpg

scottydl
12-06-2011, 16:46
I think siblueg is our winner!!!! :cool:

Mayhem like Me
12-06-2011, 16:50
No I like our black and white sheriffs cars best...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

scottydl
12-06-2011, 17:01
I don't mean siblueg is the winner for looks necessarily, but the winner for the first officer here to drive a new Caprice on a patrol shift. Several others posted photos of new Caprices, but they were not in service yet, supervisor cars, just drove from the dealership, etc. The unofficial "contest" was mentioned some pages back.

FWIW I also like the black & whites. That's what our Caprice's will be when we get them. Probably next year sometime as all our recent new squads are 2011 Impala's.

Mayhem like Me
12-06-2011, 17:26
I don't mean siblueg is the winner for looks necessarily, but the winner for the first officer here to drive a new Caprice on a patrol shift. Several others posted photos of new Caprices, but they were not in service yet, supervisor cars, just drove from the dealership, etc. The unofficial "contest" was mentioned some pages back.

FWIW I also like the black & whites. That's what our Caprice's will be when we get them. Probably next year sometime as all our recent new squads are 2011 Impala's.

Yeah I figured.I drove one of our Admin packages for a day in August but I figured non patrol did not count... great acceleration great seat lots of interior room looks small on the outside ...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Hollywood D
12-06-2011, 18:21
I drove one a few weeks ago on duty, then went on vacation so i've been gone for a while. It wasn't bad but our mdc mounts are really tall and can't be lowered because of something that's in the way.

I still think the crown vic is a better all around platform but this isn't bad either.

silverado_mick
12-06-2011, 18:33
I rode shotty with the sgt when he went to pick up the chief's lunch the other day. Does that count?

trdvet
02-13-2012, 15:59
Silly fast...roomy too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/trdvet/Mobile%20Uploads/100MEDIA_IMAG0784.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/trdvet/Mobile%20Uploads/100MEDIA_IMAG0786.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/trdvet/Mobile%20Uploads/100MEDIA_IMAG0785.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/trdvet/Mobile%20Uploads/100MEDIA_IMAG0783.jpg

Bodyarmorguy
02-13-2012, 16:05
We put seven of them on the road a couple of weeks ago. I drove one from the garage back to the PD and let me tell you.....I am glad that they are not issuing them to the Sergeants, that thing would get me in a whole bunch of trouble. The 0-60 is nothing short of amazing.