Any of you going to the shot show Jan 12? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any of you going to the shot show Jan 12?

BlackPaladin
09-22-2011, 02:25
Last year I met up with a few good GTers in the LE area. As the tickets are posted up for sale, I hope that many of you try to attend a show. They had a few good instructional seminars last year that were free to LE. There were also more than a few free handouts worth having if you have any purchasing clout with your agency. If any of you are thinking of attending, or are on the fence and maybe I can swing your vote, it would be a good time.

Worth mentioning is that this is a somewhat exclusive event. The doors are not open to anyone who want to get in. LE creds are sort of a VIP ticket once you are inside.

BlackPaladin
09-22-2011, 22:22
I am feeling kind of bad that I posted this and have no responses except my own :). Seriously, I figured that at least Cochese would jump at this.

DaBigBR
09-22-2011, 22:32
I would like to go, but I'm barely thinking past this pay period right now, much less this year.

BlackPaladin
09-22-2011, 22:58
I would like to go, but I'm barely thinking past this pay period right now, much less this year.

Is your dept. downsizing?

DaBigBR
09-23-2011, 01:02
Is your dept. downsizing?

Nope, just awash in overtime. 42 hours last pay period, 23 this pay period, and looking like 50-55 next pay period. Probably at least 20 the two after that, then it will slow down.

Narc1911
09-23-2011, 03:19
Hopefully I will be going. I am waiting on the department to approve the training request then I will know.

Deployment Solu
09-23-2011, 04:15
Hopefully, I will be there!!

Patchman
09-23-2011, 07:18
Just saw it in my email yesterday or the day before. Am considering. I still remember how tired my feet were after two days.

Ajon412
09-23-2011, 10:08

Yea, I know what you mean....I'd like to attend this and/or the ILEETA Conference in April. We've got cut backs in the training budget as well...but I keep trying regardless.....:whistling:

Narc1911
09-23-2011, 10:26
Isn't the Shot Show Jan 17th-20th though? Not the 12th?

BlackPaladin
09-24-2011, 03:27
Isn't the Shot Show Jan 17th-20th though? Not the 12th?

Correct, I was referring to Jan 2012 in the title :embarassed:

Sharkey
09-24-2011, 17:34
We are talking of going again if I can find decent travel prices. Checked SWA already. We'd probably do a Sun-Thurs deal since they are the cheapest and the state doesn't pay me much.

Still waiting on the release of the KSG. :whistling:

If we go, we ought to try to plan hitting dinner and/or a show one of the nights.

Narc1911
09-24-2011, 18:29
Correct, I was referring to Jan 2012 in the title :embarassed:

Duh. That's what I get when I post at 2am after an 18 hour day.

Aries4570
09-25-2011, 16:37
I really want to go but probably not going to happen until 2013

mixflip
09-25-2011, 17:20
I'll be there as a media broadcaster. Cant wait!!!!

rookie1
09-25-2011, 18:16
I was talking to my uncle yesterday about it. He has been there a few times and says its awesome. He knows some lady that was high up at Kimber and was mailed 4 guns before the show, transfered in his name by a FFL. After 4 years she has yet to ask for them back. I would like to go but will be going to Vegas in March for my friends end of probation and again in August 2012 for a bachelor party. Love to go but not sure I SHOULD pull it off.

rookie1
09-25-2011, 18:23
I also read the following things on the website:

"Admission to the show requires government issued photo identification plus documentation demonstrating trade affiliation. Show exhibitors and media subject to different credentialing requirements."

What is "Trade affiliation"? Does being a cop not count for admission?

"NO personal firearms or ammunition allowed. Only firearms on display by exhibitors whose firing pins have been removed (and have been inspected by SHOT Show Safety Advisors) will be permitted on the show floor."

Seriously?

Facejackets
09-25-2011, 18:27
I also read the following things on the website:

"Admission to the show requires government issued photo identification plus documentation demonstrating trade affiliation. Show exhibitors and media subject to different credentialing requirements."

What is "Trade affiliation"? Does being a cop not count for admission?

"NO personal firearms or ammunition allowed. Only firearms on display by exhibitors whose firing pins have been removed (and have been inspected by SHOT Show Safety Advisors) will be permitted on the show floor."

Seriously?

Call and ask if a pay stub or letterhead from your dept. will suffice. Also, concealed means concealed. Pocket carry or something!

rookie1
09-25-2011, 19:13
Also, concealed means concealed. Pocket carry or something!

I went to the same place last year for a car show and wasn't sure if they patted you down for this type of event. I went to a packers game and they patted folks down to enforce their no guns policy. I can ignore a sign, and do.

mixflip
09-25-2011, 22:28
Guys, please dont screw up our free admittance deal with shot show. If they say no firearms then respect the Shows rules. If it gets out all the cops going to the show are secertly bringing in off duty weapons they might take away our free entry perks. (since they probably wont have any other recourse but to set up metal detectors and pat downs. They would just hit us in the wallet 1st.)

When I worked for an oil company years ago, we used to get free gas. Word got out that employees were abusing that perk and re-selling the free gas to their neighbors. No more free gas thanks to a few.

Please dont screw up Shot Show for cops. (and for everyone in general)

BlackPaladin
09-26-2011, 15:17
Guys, please dont screw up our free admittance deal with shot show. If they say no firearms then respect the Shows rules. If it gets out all the cops going to the show are secertly bringing in off duty weapons they might take away our free entry perks. (since they probably wont have any other recourse but to set up metal detectors and pat downs. They would just hit us in the wallet 1st.)

When I worked for an oil company years ago, we used to get free gas. Word got out that employees were abusing that perk and re-selling the free gas to their neighbors. No more free gas thanks to a few.

Please dont screw up Shot Show for cops. (and for everyone in general)

WHAT! free admittance? This will be my 4th SS and I have paid to get tickets the same as anyone else the whole time.

Regarding the firearms carry, this is don't ask don't tell, but I have heard from others that LE has no problems.

mixflip
09-26-2011, 18:59
Ooops my bad. I got in free. Well they might set up metal detectors then? That would suck for everyone. Their show, thier rules.

Patchman
09-27-2011, 15:52
WHAT! free admittance? This will be my 4th SS and I have paid to get tickets the same as anyone else the whole time.

IIRC, if you have the authority to purchase stuff on behalf of your agency, it's free to get in. All other LEOs pay for the tickets.

As for verification, if you give an agency email (Joethecop@localPD.gov) and they are able to contact you at that address, I think that's sufficient verification for their purposes. At least it was in my case last year.

Sharkey
10-13-2011, 08:42
Well I booked our trip last night for 2012. Smoking deal from SW and the Flamingo. $310/person for 4 nights. We are getting in Mon. afternoon.

As it gets closer, holler if you want to meet up one night. I went to the 511 event after the show one night and it was ok but doubt I'll go again if they host one.

Saw Carrot Top last year but he just might be worth seeing again. He was that funny. I'm taking my PnS camera too. Photography is prohibited but I saw a ton of folks snapping stuff last year with no press credentials.

BlackPaladin
10-14-2011, 02:45
Sharkey, will definetely go to a show while in town, glad to hear that you are going again!

For the sake of saying this, 08 was the best of the shows I had previously attended. With the vendor correspondance I have been receiving, I think this next one will top that. Remember, the political atmosphere directly influences what is presented at the show. Obviously a lot is expected to happen in 12 politically. I don't think I would go out of my way to miss this.

Chico Bill
10-15-2011, 20:45
I'll be there...First one. Our whole staff goes.