Effectiveness of Federal Classic .45 ACP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Effectiveness of Federal Classic .45 ACP

Cream Soda Kid
09-22-2011, 10:18
Hello Mr. Ayoob,

I recently found Federal Classic JHP.45 ACP 230 grain ammo for sale at a decent price for 50 round boxes. Iíve heard good things about this ammunition. I tried it out in my Taurus 1911 with 5 inch barrel, and my Taurus Millennium Pro PT145, with 3.25 inch barrel. The ammunition functions well and is pretty accurate in both guns.

Iím thinking about using it as my everyday carry ammo. What is your opinion on the effectiveness of that round for self defense?
Thanks,

Lee Martinez

Mas Ayoob
09-22-2011, 15:53
Federal's 185 grain classic, out of 5" service guns, earned a very good reputation on the street back in the '80s. Oddly enough, I never ran across a shooting with the 230 grain version.

I wouldn't be counting on either out of your short barrel Millennium. You really need a high-tech bullet like Federal's own HST to get expansion out of short .45 barrels.

best,
Mas

Cream Soda Kid
10-09-2011, 22:46
Federal's 185 grain classic, out of 5" service guns, earned a very good reputation on the street back in the '80s. Oddly enough, I never ran across a shooting with the 230 grain version.

I wouldn't be counting on either out of your short barrel Millennium. You really need a high-tech bullet like Federal's own HST to get expansion out of short .45 barrels.

best,
Mas

Mr. Ayoob,

just one last question, and then Iíll put this one to bed I promise

I havenít tried Federal HSTís yet. But I have some Remington Golden Saber 185 grain +P on hand. I put some through the Millennium and they worked well. (Accuracy and cycling) Do you think the Golden Sabers will expand coming out of the short barrel? They do have a some recoil being +P and all, but they are manageable.

Iím not trying to be cheap, just trying to be frugal in todayís economy. :embarassed:

Thanks again,

Lee

Mas Ayoob
10-10-2011, 06:07
It's a very promising load, but I haven't shot anything with that round out of 3" barrel, and don't know of any shootings with it. Might want to check out brassfetcher or do an Internet search.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,

Mas