Powder power? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Powder power?

Mopaw
09-22-2011, 19:59
I've been reading Zombie Steve's stickies at the top of the forum. Lots of good stuff there. One line refers to faster burning powders and slower burning powders. I got into reloading with the instruction of an experienced reloading friend ( former Air Force range master ), but we didn't touch on this. I have a bottle of IMR Hi-Skor 700-X. Where does this stand in the spectrum of slow to fast burning powders? Please name some slower powders for reloading 9mm and .45 cal. Thanks

WiskyT
09-22-2011, 20:17
http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

Colorado4Wheel
09-22-2011, 20:32
Basically smaller cartridges like faster powders and larger cartridges like slower powders. So a fast powder for 44MAG will be a slow powder for 40 S&W. Using 9mm as a example you will have powders from the top of that burn rate chart all the way down to around AA#7. Look in a good load book while looking at these charts will tell you a lot. Faster powders for a given caliber will feel softer shooting at the same FPS but the faster powder will get dangerous faster as you push the speed higher.

Mopaw
09-22-2011, 20:35
Thanks!

Another question that came up recently was clean burning-vs-dirty powders. is this a legitimate concern? Any correlation here to speed of burn? Thanks

_The_Shadow
09-22-2011, 20:45
Powders work best in the pressure range they are design to work in, by that using a light load may not produce enough pressure and heat to fully burn the chemical composition. Primers can also be somewhat problematic with certain charges like those which are dense and compressed as they may require a magnum type primer with a brisance to ignite the charge fully.

ColoCG
09-22-2011, 22:24
Thanks!

Another question that came up recently was clean burning-vs-dirty powders. is this a legitimate concern? Any correlation here to speed of burn? Thanks

Clean vs. dirty is way overblown, all powders leave some residue some are just cleaner than others, I always clean my guns after I shoot them no matter what. That would be my last consideration when choosing a powder.
jmo.
Some slower powders for 9mm and .45acp are WSF, Unique, Univeral,and WST is good but not a lot of data for a newbie and better in the .45

Zombie Steve
09-23-2011, 07:14
If you have to pick one for 9mm and .45 auto, Unique is your answer. Yes, it will be more dirty on the low end of the data, but I've found it really accurate and safe up full power loads.

As you start flipping through manuals, you'll start to see some real world applications of a given powder. Hope this helps.

Oh, I like WSF as well.

fredj338
09-23-2011, 09:02
If you have to pick one for 9mm and .45 auto, Unique is your answer. Yes, it will be more dirty on the low end of the data, but I've found it really accurate and safe up full power loads.

As you start flipping through manuals, you'll start to see some real world applications of a given powder. Hope this helps.

Oh, I like WSF as well.
Jack would be so proud Steve.:grouphug: Yep, tought to beat Unique for any full power application in all of the service pistol rounds. SOme complain about metering, so give WSF a try. Very, very close in burn rate & meters much better, but not quite as much loft. Other good med bunrers for 9-40&45 are Universal & PowerPistol. PP offers a huge bang & flash though, not my fav.