Belt Conundrum [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Belt Conundrum

ncglock19
09-22-2011, 20:48
I've got a great Kydex holster from a local maker of holsters. Because I am a bigger guy in the waist, I've worn sturdy belts, but nothing like a Beltman or Wild Bill gun belt.

My holster has a sturdy place to allow the belt to go through, as well as having a slot to hook the pants' belt loop in the mix. With my standard sturdy belt, when I loop the holster on, there's no problem with me looping through one side then the belt loop, and the the other side of the holster.

I've now purchased a sturdier gun belt that has to be at least 0.25 of an inch thick. I had no problem getting the belt into the holster, but had a devil of a time getting the loop through the belt before hooking to the next side of the holster.

Has anyone got a good system for making this an easy process?

ncdude

CodyBoy
09-23-2011, 01:17
My Beltman belt is pretty tight through most of the jeans I wear. Wranglers from walmart or academy relax fit.

I do the same with my Bianchi holster.

I loop it through holster

then through a pants loop

then back through the holster.

But yea its tight through the belt loops of my jeans.

A couple pairs of jeans the belt is loose in the loops.

But whadya expect, they're made in mexico from US cotton, imported by a company in Greensboro,NC

ArtCrafter
09-23-2011, 02:30
It sounds like you are using an OWB holster along the lines of a pancake, an Askins Avenger-style, or something similar. It also sounds like there isn't much space behind the holster for the pants belt loop.

In cases like these, the 'easiest' thing to do is put the rig together (minus the gun, of course) before you don your pants. However, that can be kind of 'tricky,' too. It also doesn't address the problem of removing or replacing your holster when fully dressed.

Another method that does, but is a little awkard to explain, is to 'take a seat' as if you were using the john. Of course, you don't have to use an actual toilet for this (a sturdy chair or bench will do), but I think the analogy paints a pretty clear picture.

In that posture, you have a 'top view' of everything, easier access to 3:00 and beyond, and there is no strain (or at least very little strain) on the system. You also have two more or less natural 'rest points' from which you can 'go to work': Pants around the ankles or at the knees (more or less).

Note that the 'knee position' can also be used in places like public restrooms to keep things together and suspended above ground level: If you buckle your belt in the last notch, assume a 'wide stance,' and spread your knees slightly when seated, you can hold you 'gear' at knee-height instead of having the whole works sitting on the floor. You can also more easily hold onto the belt itself (or holster/gun, if you prefer) to assist in the effort.

Lastly, as you probably already know, it's better to avoid severely bending your belt, and it should 'never' be rolled or tightly curled. The 'only' exception is buckling up which normally involves bending the tongue of the belt to an angle greater than 90 but doesn't really harm anything because that section doesn't bear any load.

HTH :wavey:

PS: All your puns are belong to us. :supergrin:

jwhite75
09-23-2011, 07:18
I just ordered a Beltman 1.25 wide. I know 1.5 is the typical but I wear suits to work everyday and the loops on most suits wont take a 1.5. I cant affor to have two different belts for jeans and suits. Plus I carry IWB most times. Youwill just have to try different way til you get it. I do liek the other guy says and put through a loop then pant then loop. Very sturdy that way.

ncglock19
09-23-2011, 08:48
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I may have constructed something that will allow the holster to go on easily. Will have to check with my company's patent attorney. I might have something here.

nc19

samuse
10-15-2011, 19:52
Paddle holster.

RussP
10-16-2011, 03:07
Folks, if you want to discuss the merits of a specific belt maker, please start a new thread.

RussP
10-16-2011, 03:13
A long time ago this came up and someone suggested taking the pants/slacks/jeans to a tailor and have them enlarge that belt loop just enough to accommodate the belt when aligned with the holster belt loops.

happyguy
10-16-2011, 09:45
Some of my pants have closely placed belt loops and I often just skip one of them.

Other than that it just takes a little practice and finagling.

Regards,
Happyguy :)