rookie scum! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : rookie scum!

evilwill
09-23-2011, 07:49
Ive always read and heard stories about these guys, but always thought it was just a guy being dramatic. I finally pulled over "That Guy."

Car passes me on the highway (GCP) at well over 80 mph. I go to pull him over and he stops, not on the shoulder, but on lane 3 of a 3 lane highway. My partner directs him to drive to the nearest exit (utopia pkwy) which he does but as soon as he stops, the driver angrily sticks his ID card out the window.
I make contact with him and in a friendly manner advise him to try not to pass the marked vehicle at 80+ mph. His reply was the sound of teeth being sucked and " you gots a radar? Then how you know how fast I be going" It just went down hill from there.
He hooked me in a little bit, so i got into it with him. As I was about to fling his ID card back at him, i look on the back where his tax number is (949XXX). It turns out he just got out of the academy about 2 months ago. Oh man did i light into him then. I flung his ID at him and walked away.
I was disgusted at his behavior. so to the rookie scumbag i say : I've got more time on the crapper than you have on this job. Learn how to act and talk to people, don't you dare act like that in another jurisdiction or state, you're proof that we've lowered hiring standards and you're the reason that other departments see the NYPD as a sick joke.

p.d.
09-23-2011, 07:55
Well, you might get angry with me, but you could have just written the cite.

Agent6-3/8
09-23-2011, 08:07
Did you contact his unit/commander/FTO? A boot, or anyone fro that matter, acting like that needs to be reeled real quick and given a reality check.

evilwill
09-23-2011, 08:51
Well, you might get angry with me, but you could have just written the cite.

I usually don't write cops, so out of habit I just let him go. I was kicking myself afterwards. My partner wanted to bang him for any and all vtl violations he could think of.

Did you contact his unit/commander/FTO? A boot, or anyone fro that matter, acting like that needs to be reeled real quick and given a reality check.

didn't want it getting to a boss. wanted to take care of it at the cop level. so i spoke to one of the guys at the desk there and he told me that yes he is an A-hole and he's been spoken to several times about it, but he's one of those guys that bring in an insane amount of activity so his bosses tend to protect him.

reading between the lines, I get the sense that he's not going to change and nothing is going to come of it so I figured i would rant here and get it off my chest.

IGotIt
09-23-2011, 08:55
He'll run into someone who's had a bad day and that ID card and tin aren't going to mean a hill of beans. It will take time, but he will get his due.

CW Mock
09-23-2011, 09:04
Somebody or something will eventually derail that ego-train he's on.

I still think *********gery of that level from someone with that little time on should have been sent up to his FTO/Sgt for attitude adjustment. If he think's its okay to treat another cop like that, I shudder to think how he treats the public. Sounds like an future IA case study at in-service training.

Look at it this way ...

A sense of entitlement is kind of like Enzyte ...

Given time, and enough of it, a little prick will turn into a big prick.

Unless you cut it off early. Just sayin' ... mileage may vary. We might handle things differently out west here too. I get the sense police culture varies a lot from coast to coast.

Dragoon44
09-23-2011, 09:15
I would have written him a ticket AND contacted his Dept.

Ajon412
09-23-2011, 09:25

They copper doing the stop and the violator (off duty rookie) are from the same department. The knucklehead rookie will eventually pull the same crap in an adjoining jurisdiction and will be dealing with a copper from a different agency who might not be so "tolerant". The rookie more than likely will be given an "attitude adjustment", may be cited and a phone call to his command.....:whistling: Or better yet, the rookie will get pulled over by a patrol supervisor and if he has the same "demeanor", they'll be a fast track call to his command.....

DaBigBR
09-23-2011, 09:26
I probably would have written him. "Professional courtesy" requires:

A) Professionalism
B) Courtesy

Both seemed to be absent here. **** him.

AZLawDawg
09-23-2011, 10:12
I woulda papered him. Screw that.

GunFighter45ACP
09-23-2011, 10:24

A) Professionalism
B) Courtesy

Both seemed to be abset here. **** him.

'Nuff said!

Hack
09-23-2011, 10:51

A) Professionalism
B) Courtesy

Quoted for the truth.

2-8 Marine
09-23-2011, 11:10

A) Professionalism
B) Courtesy

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

smokeross
09-23-2011, 11:18
I would have Tazed him and gave him a dose of OC as a bonus.

Officer X
09-23-2011, 11:22
I had a situation similar to this a couple years ago only it was an older officer who should've known better.

I'm not one to write another cop for a minor violation and kick off a potential rift between departments just because somebody was maybe having a bad day and decided to act like a D-bag.

I think he got the point when I took his ID wallet he handed me and tossed it into the woods at the side of the road and then drove off on him leaving him to go look for it in the dark. At least I never heard anything about it, not even from other officers in his PD that I know.

DaBigBR
09-23-2011, 11:27
I had a situation similar to this a couple years ago only it was an older officer who should've known better.

I'm not one to write another cop for a minor violation and kick off a potential rift between departments just because somebody was maybe having a bad day and decided to act like a D-bag.

I think he got the point when I took his ID wallet he handed me and tossed it into the woods at the side of the road and then drove off on him leaving him to go look for it in the dark. At least I never heard anything about it, not even from other officers in his PD that I know.

I tip my hat to you, sir.

CAcop
09-23-2011, 11:29
I usually don't write cops, so out of habit I just let him go. I was kicking myself afterwards. My partner wanted to bang him for any and all vtl violations he could think of.

didn't want it getting to a boss. wanted to take care of it at the cop level. so i spoke to one of the guys at the desk there and he told me that yes he is an A-hole and he's been spoken to several times about it, but he's one of those guys that bring in an insane amount of activity so his bosses tend to protect him.

reading between the lines, I get the sense that he's not going to change and nothing is going to come of it so I figured i would rant here and get it off my chest.

The bolded part is what worries me. A rookie with a few months on the street with a lot of activity? Is it drug related? Does it involved a lot of consensual encounters? Does it involve a lot of consent searches? I don't know if you guys have cameras in your cars but I hope you do so that records good searches. I am just worried that he is dirty searching people. Rafael Perez and company had big numbers too in Rampart. Lower standards and attitude were present for those clowns too.

Morris
09-23-2011, 11:39

He's steps away from a lawsuit, or worse. I had to do that once. Didn't feel good but it had to be done. Good thing too. Turns out he was a dangerous ahole who got canned from probation.

evilwill
09-23-2011, 12:01
The bolded part is what worries me. A rookie with a few months on the street with a lot of activity? Is it drug related? Does it involved a lot of consensual encounters? Does it involve a lot of consent searches? I don't know if you guys have cameras in your cars but I hope you do so that records good searches. I am just worried that he is dirty searching people. Rafael Perez and company had big numbers too in Rampart. Lower standards and attitude were present for those clowns too.

sorry, I didn't clarify that for rookies, its mostly summons activity - parkers, movers and criminal court summonses. They're, at this point, just getting their feet wet. They're not going to be the officer of record on anything that matters yet.

If were to write him, I would only have written him for a tail light infraction. we're currently on a citywide slow down in regards to movers. This in response to a new rule at traffic court which is (Verbatim from IAB sgt assigned to court to oversee our testimony) "you come back with 4 not guiltys and were taking 12 days" Most guys now only write for tail lights, headlights and insurance cards now.

msu_grad_121
09-23-2011, 12:13

A) Professionalism
B) Courtesy

A-friggin-men. If I acted like that, I'd expect a skid.

Enjoy your buttermilk biscuit! Try not to choke on it.

Ajon412
09-23-2011, 12:24

didn't want it getting to a boss. wanted to take care of it at the cop level. so i spoke to one of the guys at the desk there and he told me that yes he is an A-hole and he's been spoken to several times about it, but he's one of those guys that bring in an insane amount of activity so his bosses tend to protect him.reading between the lines, I get the sense that he's not going to change and nothing is going to come of it so I figured i would rant here and get it off my chest.

This WILL catch up to him in due time. I've seen it before....

jwhite75
09-23-2011, 13:55
Toss up on how to handle it...I probably wold have done what you did, but made a quiet phone call to somebody in his station to give him a cop to cop come to Jesus.

dano1427
09-23-2011, 15:42
sorry, I didn't clarify that for rookies, its mostly summons activity - parkers, movers and criminal court summonses. They're, at this point, just getting their feet wet. They're not going to be the officer of record on anything that matters yet.

If were to write him, I would only have written him for a tail light infraction. we're currently on a citywide slow down in regards to movers. This in response to a new rule at traffic court which is (Verbatim from IAB sgt assigned to court to oversee our testimony) "you come back with 4 not guiltys and were taking 12 days" Most guys now only write for tail lights, headlights and insurance cards now.

What kind of B.S. is that? Disciplinary action based on what, exactly?

x_out86
09-23-2011, 17:19
+100. I 100% agree.

CAcop
09-23-2011, 17:36

You break them in gently. After the first week if a good cluster comes in they take it. Rape, robbery, murder. The FTO will help them out a lot but they better get their fingers losened up because they are going to be typing a lot.

Mayhem like Me
09-23-2011, 18:56
my foot would would have been up his *** sideways so far they would still be doing a surgical consult on how to remove it.....

Mayhem like Me
09-23-2011, 18:58

so this AZhat is a do as I say kind of guy that cuts no breaks .. this is just the kind of guy that gives us all a bad name..

rhikdavis
09-23-2011, 19:02

I'd like to see the dash cam footage on that. :thumbsup:

Patchman
09-23-2011, 19:11
This WILL catch up to him in due time. I've seen it before....

Yeah but when it does, it could very well involve an incident that'll disgrace their agency.

My humble opinion is that if you got a LEO that acts like that when he/she is still on probation, to cut your losses and fire them.

AngryBassets
09-23-2011, 19:44

This.

Recently dealt with an officer who belongs to large urban (warzone) department, which recently laid off almost half of it's 300+ officers. :shocked:

One of our officers runs a plate; comes back not on file AND is listed as a stolen plate out of this particular 3rd world city a few miles to our north. Now, the plate is on a newer Impala, obviously an unmarked car. Our officer stops the car, and orders the driver out, who, lo and behold, is in full uniform.

The driver is immediately confrontational, since he's in uniform, and our officer just merely said, "hey, keep your hands up a bit for me".

A confrontation ensued, and I walked over (I was standing in our lot when the stop was made, across the street).

A call to the agency showed him to still be employed, and he is supposed to be driving the car (the front tag had been stolen). We send him on his way, and I write it up. My chief is in agreement with me that our guy showed the appropriate amount of caution AND respect (full video and audio).

Some jackwagon D/Sgt (this guy's boss) from his department calls me two days later and questions if we do "all of our stops like that...I mean, it was 'just' a stolen plate", clearly insinuating we are a bunch of paranoid hicks.

I hung up on him, and then hung up on his Lt. I was looking forward to hanging up on a captain, but none ever called. :dunno:

I had about 6 months on the road when I actually watched a salty 20 year patrolman launch a trooper's wallet onto the roof of a 7-11 after he acted like a total DH. Never would've believed it if I didn't see it myself.

This in response to a new rule at traffic court which is (Verbatim from IAB sgt assigned to court to oversee our testimony) "you come back with 4 not guiltys and were taking 12 days"

OMFG.

South Fla
09-23-2011, 20:08
The bolded part is what worries me.... Rafael Perez and company had big numbers too in Rampart. Lower standards and attitude were present for those clowns too.

I bet that d-bag in NE Ohio who was all over the internet a few weeks ago had insane number also.

That is where this guy is headed.

PinkoCommie
09-23-2011, 20:42

And to that I say ****in-a, my friend, ****in'a! I wish I had as much on-the-spot chutzpah to come up with stuff like this. I would have thought about this plan an hour after the stop. I like that solution. No real harm done, and it gives him some time to ponder deep thoughts about his behavior while he is scouring the underbrush for his stuff.

Morris
09-24-2011, 07:21
Show me a usually arrogant cop and I'll show you someone who will not make two years without being booted or being promoted.

As a rookie, my first chief made it clear that if he got ANY calls from other agencies about me being arrogant, rude, flippant or pissy, I could clean out my locker. He was long serving LASD and saw enough in his day. Not in my nature to be and even though six months in, I had some beast of a motor guy get nasty with me, I kept it polite and let my chief know, just in case. He smiled and said, "He's an ass. I know him."

Point is, you may be the hottest thing since sliced bread and be the most proactive but if you have the attitude with your brothers and sisters, you may find yourself on the short term list. I have ZERO tolerance for arrogant rookies and I will do field corrections when appropriate including calls up the chain if needed.

Speaking of which, I used to deal with this jerk of a now former deputy when he routinely blasted through town (same sort of thing, badge flipped out before the cars stopped, etc):

http://o.seattlepi.com/conductunbecoming/zana/

Funny how his arrogance led ultimately to this:

http://o.seattlepi.com/local/312790_guilty14.html

Ajon412
09-24-2011, 13:02
Yeah but when it does, it could very well involve an incident that'll disgrace their agency.

My humble opinion is that if you got a LEO that acts like that when he/she is still on probation, to cut your losses and fire them.

Agreed, especially after several incidents of the rookie acting like a knucklehead after being stopped for a MV violation....:dunno:

OLY-M4gery
09-24-2011, 13:12
This.

A call to the agency showed him to still be employed, and he is supposed to be driving the car (the front tag had been stolen). We send him on his way, and I write it up. My chief is in agreement with me that our guy showed the appropriate amount of caution AND respect (full video and audio).

OMFG.

And my question back would have been if they didn't understand that listing 1 plate of 2 as stolen, means that the un-stolen plate should be immediately removed and replaced?

evilwill
09-24-2011, 21:10
What kind of B.S. is that? Disciplinary action based on what, exactly?

that's the jobs hypocritical, knee jerk reaction to a "ticket fixing scandal"
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bronx/tix_fix_cops_indicted_C43zNOXzYbI5RPzyF15Y0O
when that IAB sgt told me about the 12 day hit for 4 not guiltys, I told her it wasn't going to happen again because I wont be writing any more movers - problem solved. equipment violations and insurance cards are dismissed upon proof of insurance and repair..no court room appearance needed.

slama683
09-24-2011, 23:01

Now that is some inspired leadership. You sir are fortunate to work for such a progressive agency.:steamed:

ateamer
09-26-2011, 01:00
I make contact with him and in a friendly manner advise him to try not to pass the marked vehicle at 80+ mph. His reply was the sound of teeth being sucked and " you gots a radar? Then how you know how fast I be going" It just went down hill from there.
Suck teeth at me and you are getting a ticket; I don't care who it is, or what department he works for. That is seriously disrespectful. If someone sucks teeth at an officer he better be ready to pay the judge.

tercel89
09-27-2011, 07:14

A) Professionalism
B) Courtesy

EXACTLY . And the guys English or is that English , seems to suck ! I normally dont write other police officers , but this guy would have made me put some ink on him .

CW Mock
09-27-2011, 10:15
EXACTLY . And the guys English or is that English , seems to suck ! I normally dont write other police officers , but this guy would have made me put some ink on him .

No kidding.

What is up with some people being hired lately? I thought speaking the national language was a must, as well as being able to read and write in it as well. I have seen some people hired in the surrounding agencies to me that can barely speak or write in English it seems. An accent with some regional slang is one thing, but not being able to form cohesive sentences or thoughts is another. As a tax paying citizen of the country, I really don't want some thugged out looking cops that can't/won't shave, covered in tats, wearing sloppy un-ironed uniforms barely speaking any semblance of English responding to my calls for service.

Sorry for the rant - it just grinds at me.

Cochese
09-27-2011, 10:41
I had to look up "sucking teeth."

If someone did that to me I would have no idea they intended to be disrespectful. Must be generational and or regional.