Would you want to Choice? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Would you want to Choice?

HotRoderX
09-23-2011, 10:58
I am not a police officer so hope its ok for me to ask. My question is simple and Stems from another topic about Police officers having to buy there own AR rifles.

My question is simple would you like to have the choice to buy and choose your own firearm? I am sure there is a reason why yall cant but I don't understand it. Wouldn't it be better all around if each officer was given X amount of dollars ever so many years to buy a firearm of there choosing. Obviously there would have to be limitations like approved caliber and all but wouldn't that make yalls job easier?

DaBigBR
09-23-2011, 11:18
I am allowed to select and purchase my own guns. Personally owned duty gun, backup guns, rifle, and shotgun.

ashtxsniper
09-23-2011, 11:20
I am allowed to select and purchase my own guns. Personally owned duty gun, backup guns, rifle, and shotgun.
same here

nitesite10mm
09-23-2011, 11:30
I'm not given any money by my department to buy them, but I did purchase my own duty sidearm, BUGs, AR-15 and Shotgun.

Didn't have to. Was issued a perfectly decent pistol and pump shotgun.

I just wanted better. I figure I'm worth it.

Hoser423
09-23-2011, 11:35
We have dept. issued, stock, off the shelf M4s in each squad. We select and buy our own handguns, not quite anything goes, but close. Personally owned rifles are not allowed.

There's logical arguments on each side of the "personally owned" fence and I guess my place is going straight down the middle. Agency size will factor into this... buying rifles for 3 or 5 guys is a whole lot different than 100 or 1000.

Morris
09-23-2011, 11:36
In a term:

LOP - Liability Oriented Policing.

Some agencies drink this like punch at a religious commune. Drive much of the policies and procedures, especially firearms.

mj9mm
09-23-2011, 11:47
not being a smart alec here, do you get to deduct firearms on your income tax, i could deduct tools on my job. they are tools right?

Patchman
09-23-2011, 12:07
not being a smart alec here, do you get to deduct firearms on your income tax, i could deduct tools on my job. they are tools right?

If they're for work, they should be deductable. Along with gunzine subscriptions, the FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin subscription, external trainings, ammo, attending work related conventions (SHOT show, anyone?), etc... But for the past couple of tax years, the employee deductions on a tax return must meet that 2-percent floor. Only any $$$ above that floor is deductable.

I also deduct haircuts and drycleaning for uniforms.

I believe the IRS has ruled that gym club memberships are NOT deductable as employee expenses.

Patchman
09-23-2011, 12:11
We're also not allowed to use personally owned long guns at work.

Ajon412
09-23-2011, 12:18

Similar....Duty weapon is issued, but can do the P.O.W thing for the BUG, patrol rifle and shotgun....

Ajon412
09-23-2011, 12:20
In a term:

LOP - Liability Oriented Policing.

Some agencies drink this like punch at a religious commune. Drive much of the policies and procedures, especially firearms.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Panzergrenadier1979
09-23-2011, 14:02
The only private weapons that we are allowed to use on duty are BUGs and these must be approved and qualified with.

collim1
09-23-2011, 14:14
I am issued and required to carry a P226 as a primary sidearm. I can purchase and carry my own BUG and off-duty carry gun.

I am issued a Rem870 and carry it. I could carry my own shotgun if I wanted to, but I was approved to install my own Surefire forend on the issued gun so I wasn't gonna spend the money for my own gun.

I am not allowed a rifle, but can purchase my own pistol caliber carbine. I bought a Ruger PC4 carbine and carry it on patrol. It was significantly cheaper than a Colt 9mm AR style carbine, but IMO is just as effective.

boomhower
09-23-2011, 14:53
I would like to be able to. I can shoot better with other handguns than what I am issued. We are allowed to carry our own rifles but are issued shotguns and must carry those. BUG's are kind of a gray area but if you carry one you had best qualify with it.

isp2605
09-23-2011, 20:26
The downside of using a personally owned weapon is when it's used in a shooting situation your gun can be held in evidence for a very long time before it's returned. It won't be cleaned before being held, just stored the way it was at the time of the shooting. I've seen some guys' weapons returned to them in really rough shape after sitting in an evidence vault for several years while the cases dragged on in court, both criminal and civil cases. Your gun, your money, you're out of luck.

COLOSHOOTR
09-24-2011, 03:24
The downside of using a personally owned weapon is when it's used in a shooting situation your gun can be held in evidence for a very long time before it's returned. It won't be cleaned before being held, just stored the way it was at the time of the shooting. I've seen some guys' weapons returned to them in really rough shape after sitting in an evidence vault for several years while the cases dragged on in court, both criminal and civil cases. Your gun, your money, you're out of luck.

All of our handguns in my Dept. are personally owned and I've never seen that happen here. In fact everyone I know has had their weapon back within two weeks.

On the other hand I could see some stupid Defense attorney pulling something that would get your gun locked up for awhile...

4949shooter
09-24-2011, 05:20
Yes, I wouldn't mind having a choice in what firearms I (we) carry. For the reasons isp mentioned, I would rather have it on the department's dime than on my own. We are are authorized to purchase back up / off duty guns from an approved list though, which I think is a good thing.

Years ago, prior to us being issued patrol rifles, I submitted a report through command requesting us to be able to qualify with and carry personally owned rifles. I figure being able to carry our own is better than not being able to carry a rifle at all. My request was shot down, and I was told by the gun guy in charge not to send him anything else. So be it.

isp2605
09-24-2011, 06:08
All of our handguns in my Dept. are personally owned and I've never seen that happen here. In fact everyone I know has had their weapon back within two weeks.

On the other hand I could see some stupid Defense attorney pulling something that would get your gun locked up for awhile...
I did shooting investigations all over the state for 10+ yrs. Saw it happen several times. Many prosecutors want everything held until the case is completely adjudicated. I never saw a gun returned within 2 weeks. Can't get the investigation completely done and paper work to the prosecutor within 2 weeks and I've never seen a grand jury sit within 2 weeks. Just takes too long to get everything done and a declination to release evidence.
In addition, a few years ago IL, and other states have similar, passed a law that all evidence in a homicide must be held forever and cannot never be destoyed. Even a justified shooting is a homicide. A LEO's gun used in a shooting is evidence.
Guns used in a shooting aren't cleaned and oiled before going into evidence. I've seen a couple of guns which had blood on them that were in pretty rough shape by the time the case was finished. Blood and metal isn't a good thing.