Opening for 2 Coppers in Alaska [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Opening for 2 Coppers in Alaska

smokeross
09-23-2011, 11:40
That's right future coppers. The city of Soldotna is looking to hire 2 police officers. Bring your boat. The Kenai River runs through town. www.ci.soldotna.ak.us/jobs.html. Better practice up with that shotgun. Shooting bears in town has become common sport for local cops.

danielspdx
09-23-2011, 12:43
Tempting, but it won't happen. I married into a Ketchikan family and we go there every summer. Our family plan is to move there when we can, and my wife jokingly mentioned Soldotna because her employer is present all over Alaska, including Soldotna and she thinks she could transfer pretty easily, however there is no point moving to AK if we wont be with family.

Morris
09-24-2011, 13:26
They don't list the pay or benefits.

CanIhaveGasCash
09-24-2011, 15:53
They don't list the pay or benefits.

They probably also don't mention the $10 a gallon milk.

Morris
09-24-2011, 17:47
No kidding.

danielspdx
09-24-2011, 21:08
It said pay grade 14, which is available on another link on the site.

Top step is $58,427.20 (looks like at year 6), then there are some incremental longevity steps. The highest pay I saw on the schedule is $68,182.40. Even if I come in a top pay step (I have 12+ years now and a fair amount of extra training certs), I couldn't take a $1000+/month pay cut. Add the higher cost of living and it gets worse. The plus would be quality of life, which for me would be better in AK.

smokeross
09-24-2011, 23:04
Milk the same here as everywhere. What are you, a calf?

Hack
09-25-2011, 03:56
Milk the same here as everywhere. What are you, a calf?

Perhaps there are some questions left best unanswered.:whistling:

However, that if I was in better shape and not close to retirement that would be tempting for me. My better half wouldn't be good during the winter. SAD I think it is called.

Ak.Hiker
09-26-2011, 00:25

The grocery prices are similar to Anchorage. They have a Safeway and Freds right in Soldotna and a Super WalMart just down the road. If you can live with out a big mall and love the outdoors Soldotna is a great place to be. The Kenai river runs right through town. And 3 huge lakes are in close driving range. CooK Inlet is close as well if you like to fish the salt water. And Homer is only 78 miles south for more salt water fishing. The last brown bear killed by a Soldotna police officer was killed with one shot. I think the guys know how to shoot.

A6Gator
09-26-2011, 07:34

That's why the state gives them those big $1174 checks...:supergrin:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2016265657_alaskacheck21.html