TLR-1s question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : TLR-1s question

toddmog
09-23-2011, 13:24
I just picked one up and noticed that it warned against using any other batteries except what they recommend. Obviously, they aren't going to suggest a battery from their competitor. So, will it be okay to run Surefire batteries when the Streamlight batteries die?

imaguy3
09-23-2011, 13:26
yes..

DaBigBR
09-23-2011, 13:26
Yep.

Just stick with quality CR123 batteries and you'll be fine.

toddmog
09-23-2011, 13:32
Thanks guys. I figured as much, but wanted to be sure. I've heard of guys frying lights using wrong batteries. Generally those cases have been with rechargeable batteries that spike too high. As of now, I have no intentions of running rechargeables.

collim1
09-23-2011, 14:16
I buy the Surefire brand in bulk. Its the only battery I have ever run in my TLR-1 and has been fine.

boomhower
09-23-2011, 14:47
Just use a quality battery and you'll be fine. Visit the candlepower forums for more info on batteries than you thought existed.

BIGGUNS911
09-23-2011, 14:59
I just picked up some from batteryjunction.com for a great price.

Now a little off topic, I have shot a few hundred rounds with my Glock 22 using my TLR 1S. I have found the lens on the light is getting covered with gun powder residue and will not come off. Any one have any suggesting to get the crud off this out screwing up my lens?

DaBigBR
09-23-2011, 15:56
Thanks guys. I figured as much, but wanted to be sure. I've heard of guys frying lights using wrong batteries. Generally those cases have been with rechargeable batteries that spike too high. As of now, I have no intentions of running rechargeables.

Problems like that come from two things:

1) Mixing old and new cells or even cells of different brands.

2) Cells with manufacturing defects.

ANY CR123 type battery can be defective and fail. The biggest difference between a "good" brand and a "bad" brand is quality control.

kc8ykd
09-23-2011, 17:23

Now a little off topic, I have shot a few hundred rounds with my Glock 22 using my TLR 1S. I have found the lens on the light is getting covered with gun powder residue and will not come off. Any one have any suggesting to get the crud off this out screwing up my lens?

i don't have any suggestions as to how to get that crud off there other than trying a lens pen.

i put a piece of painter's tape on the lens when i take mine to the range. granted, i'm not an officer so i don't shoot 1/3rd as much as you guys do with them on, but if you aren't going to be actually using it while at the range, you might give the tape trick a try.

oh, and +1 for batteryjunction. i've had good performance from sanyo cr123's in my tlr-1 and surefire x200a

DaBigBR
09-23-2011, 17:42
I always just use solvent and a Q-tip to clean the lens...

AngryBassets
09-23-2011, 19:48

Swirl a lil Hoppes 9 on it, it'll come right off.

I still run a M3 light on my 23 (my duty gun). The TLR-1 causes malfs. I should have a brand new gen 4 23 within a month.

I have the TLR1 on my personally owned nightstand 22 which runs with no issues.

scottydl
09-24-2011, 07:18

Mind sharing the price? I was wondering what the best going rate is for those batteries. My rifle light has a battery in it rated until 2016 I believe, but it wouldn't hurt for me to pick up a couple extra CR123's.

Morris
09-24-2011, 07:31
I buy them in 100 lots. Yeah, I use a few in the various lights like the TLR-1S. :)

BIGGUNS911
09-24-2011, 19:20
Mind sharing the price? I was wondering what the best going rate is for those batteries. My rifle light has a battery in it rated until 2016 I believe, but it wouldn't hurt for me to pick up a couple extra CR123's.

Just off the top of my head I got 10 Duracell 3 volt's for $21.00ish with shipping. It came out to be something like $1.95 per battery and I goggled coupons and got 5% off my order with a code I found on the web.

Go to their page and search the battery you want and a list of prices will come up. They got to me pretty fast and the company sent me a coupon for some money off on my next order.