what should I be doing to prep over the next 24 months [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : what should I be doing to prep over the next 24 months

bdcochran
09-23-2011, 15:45
Aceman is correct.

It is more valuable to address preping over the next 24 months than doing a political analysis.

1. set a skills acquisition goal.
2. set a physical exercise activities goal. Since January 9, 2008, I have been going to the YMCA every day except when sick or out of town. My daily workout is 25 minutes of stretching and 1 hour of weight lifting.
3. set a physical health (medical and dental) goal. My teeth work is done for now. I have to return to the Doctor next month to have stitches removed. Yep, I have health problems - and make sure that I see the Doctor regularly.
4. set equipment goals. I rotated the gasoline in the last month, containerized the canned food in stackable snap-on plastic containers, bought new communications gear and another flashlight.
5. downsize and sophisticate. I have been selling, donating, giving to relatives a lot of equipment that does not meet my revised needs. Don't end up an old man/packrat with a mound of junk that doesn't work or needs repair. It is tough to get rid of shoes and clothes that don't fit, but do it.

M1A Shooter
09-23-2011, 16:36
my next 24 months arent going to be much different than now. i keep prepping as best i can all around.

i'd like to quit smoking eventually but go back and forth too much to make an attempt usefull.

i need to learn how to not only plant a garden, but keep it alive :)

i have been working on hunting skills, trying to fill up the freezer.

also alot more serious networking with other like minded individuals. a close friend of mine has had several conversations about the desire to be more self sufficient but its always been talk. this year, he has put in a garden, starting to get a water storage system together and is stocking up on ammo.

Aceman
09-23-2011, 19:35
I think self-sufficient food is really going to be my goal:

Fishing, Plants, and a much larger backup of stored food.

(contagion really got me thinking)

Dexters
09-23-2011, 19:48
Aceman is correct.

It is more valuable to address preping over the next 24 months than doing a political analysis.

What are your:

Financial preps?

Employment preps?

Security preps?

Dexters
09-23-2011, 20:00
Aceman is correct.

My daily workout is 25 minutes of stretching and 1 hour of weight lifting.

Read up on the latest thoughts on stretching. Most are doing less of it. You might better spend your time doing cardio instead of the stretching.

Linh40
09-23-2011, 22:10
2. set a physical exercise activities goal. Since January 9, 2008, I have been going to the YMCA every day except when sick or out of town. My daily workout is 25 minutes of stretching and 1 hour of weight lifting.

Don't know how often you leave town (hopefully you don't get sick often) but from what I understand your muscle need time to relax to grow.

kirgi08
09-24-2011, 02:02
Buy all the food you can.We consider our preps as a steadfast,until our seeds/garden comes ta fruition.'08.

TangoFoxtrot
09-24-2011, 03:29
I have the foundation set for my preps, I just need to keep building and expanding. I think another important aspect is to keep your head on a swivel with national and local news. Information about current events nationally and locally will prevent you from being caught off guard. I say this because a lot of folks are just in their little bubbles and don't know whats going on around them.

Restless28
09-24-2011, 06:57
I have the foundation set for my preps, I just need to keep building and expanding. I think another important aspect is to keep your head on a swivel with national and local news. Information about current events nationally and locally will prevent you from being caught off guard. I say this because a lot of folks are just in their little bubbles and don't know whats going on around them.

This. I tell people this all the time, but no one listens.

Aceman
09-24-2011, 10:29
This. I tell people this all the time, but no one listens.

To be fair, the media can at times be less than palatable (or accurate/sensible).

That said - newsweek and time tend to do ok at putting a reasonable cap on the meaningful events of the past week, or US news etc...I just need anything with a little more than 1 minute of perspective regardless of bias. Bias I can adjust for, complete absense of substance is tough to fix.

Aceman
09-24-2011, 10:33
Aceman is correct.

That thread finally hit home? I guess I finally found away to to say what I wanted that made sense.

It would be like arguing about the nature of DNA replication in the Zombie virus as a way of prepping. Irrelevant, unknown, speculative and useless. Let's go with "There will be 70% of the population turned Zed" Now what?

Like arguing about turning left or right to avoid the iceberg. Doesn't matter - If the ship hits the iceberg, whare do I need to be and what do I need to do. Doesn't matter who crashed the boat or why!

Bottom line: Warm clothes, radio, water food, be near the lifeboats!

Arvinator
09-24-2011, 15:28
I plan on getting a rifle set up for 200 yards with about 1,000 rounds of ammo. I also want to keep buying canned goods, and I have started a "10 bucks a week rule". I buy a handful of items each week, under 10 bucks. Last nigth it was ten cans of tuna, next week it will be about 6 cans of Chili at $1.25 each, the next heat&eat soup at $1.50 each. In a few months, my stash of food will be MUCH bigger.
I also plan on keep walking on the treadmill to keep my health, and scrounge hand tools, fishing gear, game traps, and any MRE's I can mooch/beg from any of my buddies in the service. I also gather up all the medical supplies and books on field cooking, medical attention, and other basic skills. I hope to one day get EMT training.

I figure we need to plan on living like it was 150 years ago one day.

cowboy1964
09-24-2011, 15:33
Don't know how often you leave town (hopefully you don't get sick often) but from what I understand your muscle need time to relax to grow.

That's why you rotate routines. You don't exercise the same muscles every day.

cowboy1964
09-24-2011, 15:34
I figure we need to plan on living like it was 150 years ago one day.

If it ever happens what are the odds of surviving? This country won't be able to support 1/4 of the population it has now.

Arvinator
09-24-2011, 18:31
I know it would literally kill most of the population. I think a person with skills in living off the land in areas where you CAN has a much better chance for survival. I do not own a spot suitable for a garden, but I am planning on small flowerbed size gardens, and hopefully get a few chickens, and maybe even a rabbit gage going. I can do much more in my location than say, NY or LA inner city areas.
I plan on stocking up on as much as possible, and flour/meal/salt and other basic cooking ingredients will be the hardest for me to scrounge up I am sure.
We can cook over a open fire pit or even a wood cook stove once the other sources are used up. Clothes, other goods will have to be "Acquired". I will not loot, but will scrounge after the bad fighting is over. Looting/robbers will be a concern, so one had better be prepared to win, or prepared to be defeated.

Dexters
09-24-2011, 19:48
I know it would literally kill most of the population. I think a person with skills in living off the land in areas where you CAN has a much better chance for survival. I do not own a spot suitable for a garden, but I am planning on small flowerbed size gardens, and hopefully get a few chickens, and maybe even a rabbit gage going. I can do much more in my location than say, NY or LA inner city areas.
I plan on stocking up on as much as possible, and flour/meal/salt and other basic cooking ingredients will be the hardest for me to scrounge up I am sure.
We can cook over a open fire pit or even a wood cook stove once the other sources are used up. Clothes, other goods will have to be "Acquired". I will not loot, but will scrounge after the bad fighting is over. Looting/robbers will be a concern, so one had better be prepared to win, or prepared to be defeated.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=17959859

I don't think that you will be thrown back to an 1800s lifestyle.

1. people will be in a fight for survival mode.
2. the infrastructure does not exist to support a 1800s life style for virtually anyone. Take horses. Nineteenth-century cities depended on thousands of horses for their daily functioning. All transport, whether of goods or people, was drawn by horses. London in 1900 had 11,000 cabs, all horse-powered. There were also several thousand buses, each of which required 12 horses per day, a total of more than 50,000 horses. In addition, there were countless carts, drays, and wains, all working constantly to deliver the goods needed by the rapidly growing population of what was then the largest city in the world. In New York in 1900, the horse population was 100,000. I think the last stable closed last year. OP- yo- where are you supposed to obtain 100,000 horses and stables overnight? You don't.
3. All of these "what if" scenarios draw the same unbelievable responses like a. I am rural so I don't have to worry; b. I have a gun and food and no one will bother me; c. I will make my own gun powder; d. I will hunt. Garbage.

I own farmland and woodland. I worry all the time about people stealing when shtf has NOT occurred.

I have 27 people living in single family dwellings no more than 100 feet from where this is typed. If I have to be concerned about daytime burglaries committed by truant teenagers, imagine the concerns when shtf.

There are only 1 deer for every three people in the US. If every deer were shot or captured or killed on the first day of shtf, (properly butchered - ha!), how long would the food last? I trapped three squirrels this last week. Not much for a couple of people to live on when shtf -and the other people in my neighborhood don't have traps, never were in the Scouts, and never served in the military.

TangoFoxtrot
09-25-2011, 06:42
If it ever happens what are the odds of surviving? This country won't be able to support 1/4 of the population it has now.

Thats exactly why we need to be ready. There will be sheeple roaming the streets in a panic trying to take from others. This is because the sheeple never believed it was going to happen to them. I have to plan that people will be at their absolute worse. If we are prepared, thats less the government can screw over. :whistling: