Field Stripping a P290 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Field Stripping a P290

alexcapone
09-23-2011, 17:13
I can't figure out how to field strip this thing to save my life. I tried looking at the manual but its not very good. I can't find a single video on the internet showing a field strip. Every video review that actually shows a stripped p290 has cut out the part where they actually take it down probably because it took forever. I'd be grateful if a 290 owner could post a video of a field strip. Thanks.

alexcapone
09-27-2011, 22:56
Apparently no one else owns a P290 lol. Well here it is in case anyone is interested. Also, the web cam on my computer is a piece of crap so forgive me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPgxHu0VPyY

G36_Me
10-03-2011, 09:45
I watched your video. You seem like a nice kid. Keep learning.
A couple words of advice:
- safety is something to keep in mind always. regardless of if bullets are present in mag/gun or not; never point the gun at yourself or anyone else. You did a lot of rotating and movement that make an old timer scared. [note: you want to be an old timer some day, so need to be safer.]
- think about the kids watching your video; you want them to learn and be safe

Keep us posted and keep learning. Shooting is a life long sport.

alexcapone
10-03-2011, 15:07
I watched your video. You seem like a nice kid. Keep learning.
A couple words of advice:
- safety is something to keep in mind always. regardless of if bullets are present in mag/gun or not; never point the gun at yourself or anyone else. You did a lot of rotating and movement that make an old timer scared. [note: you want to be an old timer some day, so need to be safer.]
- think about the kids watching your video; you want them to learn and be safe

Keep us posted and keep learning. Shooting is a life long sport.

Thanks...I'll keep that in mind. The problem is that the gun is not easy to strip/reassemble so I have to point it in what might be considered vulnerable position. Like when I point the gun down parallel to my body to punch out the slide lock. I don't know if you consider that to be unsafe or not but I don't know of a better way to do it. I'm open for suggestions though. I'll probably redo the video anyway. Camera quality was horrible.

G36_Me
10-04-2011, 10:08
You have the right attitude. Since I am not familiar with your gun, I cannot offer a better breakdown suggestion.

don't accept the thought for one moment: this is the only way. safety first.

remember, every accident can and should have been avoided.

GT is a great place to get and see information. This Sig forum is a bit light on activity, so keep looking for information. I'll spend some time researching this question and see if I can come up with any suggestions.

alexcapone
10-04-2011, 12:38
You have the right attitude. Since I am not familiar with your gun, I cannot offer a better breakdown suggestion.

GT is a great place to get and see information. This Sig forum is a bit light on activity, so keep looking for information. I'll spend some time researching this question and see if I can come up with any suggestions.

Thanks man. Just PMed you.

Cobra64
10-04-2011, 19:52

The "other" SigForum would certainly be more attentive and helpful.

G36_Me
10-04-2011, 20:32
downloaded the manual for this gun and looked it over good.
not that much different than a glock or my Sig P238
just cut a video and sent it to Alex via email to see if the technique will work for him that I demonstrated

Let us know if the video was useful

alexcapone
10-05-2011, 09:16
downloaded the manual for this gun and looked it over good.
not that much different than a glock or my Sig P238
just cut a video and sent it to Alex via email to see if the technique will work for him that I demonstrated

Let us know if the video was useful

Yes that video was useful...I appreciate it. I'll make another video once I get my hands on a better camera.

The only difference with stripping it is that I still have to use a tool to punch out the slide lock whereas you were able to do it by hand. I'm pressing down as hard as I can with my thumb but it won't budge. Does that break in over time or was it easy for you the first time?

G36_Me
10-05-2011, 21:33
On my Sig P238, the slide lock has always been easy to remove (once the slide notch is aligned). I suspect your gun, a 9mm, may be more difficult.

My thought is that your gun may be stiffer and heavier requiring the assist you are having to supply with your pen to push out the slide lock/release.

Good luck. At least I have an updated webcam now; my old one was probably 10 years old.

Maybe someone with a P290 will actually come along and give some information specific to your gun.

One more thought. The Sig people are pretty cool. Give their customer service a call and ask them for some advice.

outback45
10-09-2011, 16:37
I have a question for you guys. Aside from the field stripping aggravation, how do you like your new pocket pistols?

orion814me
10-12-2011, 11:01
I put the top front of the slide on the edge of a table or chair to push down and hold it back with the pressure off of the slide stop/release pin. Then it is very easy to push it out. When trying the way in the video i find that the hand i am holding the slide back with covers the release and makes it hard to pull out. On a side note, i love this little gun and it is very accurate. We'll see how it holds up over time. The biggrst problem is VERY little holster choice for them, high noon holsters makes them though if you like any of their designs.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

alexcapone
10-15-2011, 01:29
I put the top front of the slide on the edge of a table or chair to push down and hold it back with the pressure off of the slide stop/release pin. Then it is very easy to push it out. When trying the way in the video i find that the hand i am holding the slide back with covers the release and makes it hard to pull out. On a side note, i love this little gun and it is very accurate. We'll see how it holds up over time. The biggrst problem is VERY little holster choice for them, high noon holsters makes them though if you like any of their designs.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Here is a better quality and updated video of the field strip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6fijg2SXtM

I will say that with practice it gets a lot easier over time. This seems to be the safest, most efficient way to do it...no need for furniture or anything else besides a punch tool. Thanks to G36 for his advice and help.

About the P290 holsters, Holsterpro.com makes them and he even features his P290 holsters in a youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_BbTzwgsEI

He's making a pocket and inside the waistband holster for me with the integrated laser. He does good work based on reviews I've seen on youtube.

G36_Me
10-18-2011, 18:04
Just looked at your new video on YouTube. It is outstanding!!