Best State to Move to in the West [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best State to Move to in the West

UneasyRider
09-23-2011, 19:03
Ok we want to head west. We love being close to the mountains or in the foothills but not perpetual winter. We are thinking something like Utah. Here are our main concerns:

1 Gun friendly
2 Small city or large town (Super Walmart and Hospital)
3 Low tax rates
4 Good real estate prices
5 Not a ground zero location
6 Decent employment market
7 More stuff that we pobably are not thinking of

Any ideas?

Aceman
09-23-2011, 19:33
Ok we want to head west. We love being close to the mountains or in the foothills but not perpetual winter. We are thinking something like Utah. Here are our main concerns:

1 Gun friendly
3 Low tax rates

Any ideas?

Does this have to be in the US?

G29Reload
09-23-2011, 20:04
Wyoming.

gimmejr
09-23-2011, 20:08
My hope is to one day move to Oregon, Idaho or Montana.

No sales tax in Oregon and you dont pump your own gas. :)

Lone Kimono
09-23-2011, 20:30
Utah drivers are the worst in the world...other than that it's a great place to live. If you have respiratory problems you may want to avoid Salt Lake country.

Low crime, nice people, very pro gun, lots of prepared people.

Cali-Glock
09-23-2011, 20:38
Wyoming.

This is my choice also.

M1A Shooter
09-23-2011, 22:38
im liking TN the longer i'm here even if its not west enough.

3.slow
09-23-2011, 23:14

what candidate outside the us can you think of with these requirements

cowboy1964
09-24-2011, 01:49
1 Gun friendly
3 Low tax rates

Pretty close to my wish list. I'd want enough private land to have a nice shooting range. Ideally at least 100 acres.... that's almost half a mile by half a mile square. I'd like a lot more than that but land ain't THAT cheap, at least in the areas I would like.

I'd like temperate weather. Not too hot, not too cold or snowy. Much easier to exist if fuel or power is a problem. I'm more of a forest/mountain person than I am a desert person.

Getting older so don't want to be too far from a major hospital. Don't want to have to drive 15 minutes or more just to get groceries or take out.

Leaning toward Tennessee or maybe Utah or Oregon or even Washington (state obviously). I hear the Dakotas are doing pretty well economically.

kirgi08
09-24-2011, 01:56
I got 50ac in Madison county NC for $500 per in the early 90s.Bought and paid fer.I'll be buried there.'08.

TangoFoxtrot
09-24-2011, 03:20

1 Gun friendly
3 Low tax rates

Any ideas?

OZ!...Just kidding!...Montana or Idaho has my vote.

bdcochran
09-24-2011, 07:20
My dad was fortunate that he was always moving to the newest suburb at the end of the highway. Those days are gone.
1. If you have airconditioning, you can live anywhere.
2. If you have a car and can drive in non rushhour traffic to a doctor's appointment, you are golden.
3. If you can walk a mile, count your blessings and forget about plowing the back 40 with a mule.
4. There are valid reasons why older people move into apartments.
I had a client who had a wonderful personality and could make friends where ever she went. She went to retirement communities outside Las Vegas and rented cheap from savy investors who bought retirement second homes. She loved to gamble and airconditioning was always available.

I belong to the YMCA. The City has vans for disabled people to bring them every day. The local bus service is still available to seniors for a quarter. Dunno about Wyoming. My 92 year old step mother still drives - because I renewed her license on line!

My older brother retired. The promised $150 an hour consulting jobs have still not come through. Another brother was laid off from his 9-5 job about 10 years ago. I know that they voted for Obama. They will still be waiting for the promised jobs at the time of the next Presidential election too.

UneasyRider
09-24-2011, 09:28

The U.S. is a must.

UneasyRider
09-24-2011, 09:44
We have been to all of the states except WA and NE. We really love the the CO, MT, WY, UT, ID?, areas to look at but how about the winters?

What do you think about southern parts of CO or UT? Is it warmer? Is it a good place to live? Would we be better off going north with more snow and cold?

Also my wife does not want to live in the heart of mormon country so somewhere with a Christian population is going to be important to her. So across the street from BYU would be a problem for her, but having lots of mormons around would not.

nevnut
09-24-2011, 09:45
Elko, Nevada fits your list almost perfectly. I grew up there and live twenty miles away in Carlin. We have gold mining here so there are plenty of jobs. Most people who pass thru think this area is ugly, I tell those people to please stay on I80 and keep going. We have some of the most beautiful ares in the country, you just have to explore a little.

Aceman
09-24-2011, 10:24
what candidate outside the us can you think of with these requirements

I don't know....Just thinking in the US there are few/no candidates.

Good job market - Wyoming? Be real.

I have to ask...in this day and age, why is "ground Zero" a requirement and whta do you define as that? And what kind of job market? Farm hand, stock broker, MD, retail clerk, movie star?

callihan_44
09-24-2011, 11:42
Utah drivers are the worst in the world...other than that it's a great place to live. If you have respiratory problems you may want to avoid Salt Lake country.

If I chose to go west I would def check out utah, I've also heard alot about the people there prepared for the worse and PRO guns

cowboy1964
09-24-2011, 12:59
deleted

Cavalry Doc
09-24-2011, 14:10
Several cities and towns in Central Texas would fit your requirements.

joeface
09-24-2011, 14:54

Alchohol laws are screwy thouugh. If you like to drink you may want to think twice.

pugman
09-24-2011, 19:02
While not really "west" Fargo, ND.

This is IF you can put up with the winters.

Between oil, taxes, IIRC one of few states in the country with a surplus on the books, low unemployment, etc they were voted possibly the best area in the country to live

IF you can put up with the winters.

My sister used to live in Moorhead, MN which is right across the river from Fargo. Have had a house on the market for nearly 18 months at an honest steal price (she is basically giving away all her equity); her third listing agent has told her so many people are sick of MN taxes and the way the state is run houses simply can't be sold. They realize they can avoid all the headaches by moving two miles west into ND

She seriously can't even rent it. Her husband is a college football coach and had to go where his job took him....about 600 miles south. They will probably never buy a house ever again.

Now the winters: two years ago they had a stretch of weather in December at 70 below zero. Live more than 5 miles away from the river and flooding really isn't an issue unless the second coming happens.

UneasyRider
09-24-2011, 19:43
Alchohol laws are screwy thouugh. If you like to drink you may want to think twice.

None of us drink alcohol so no worries there, I don't mind mormons either, never new they bothered my wife either, until now.

UneasyRider
09-24-2011, 19:45
She seriously can't even rent it. Her husband is a college football coach and had to go where his job took him....about 600 miles south. They will probably never buy a house ever again.

What college is he coaching at? I love college football.

TangoFoxtrot
09-25-2011, 07:01
Several cities and towns in Central Texas would fit your requirements.

Too far south and too close to Mexico :upeyes:

Aceman
09-25-2011, 09:07
While not really "west" Fargo, ND.

This is IF you can put up with the winters.

While Fargo may meet the criteria, if SHTF, the winter is a no-go to me.

If it all goes wrong, that's a lot of food/fuel to make it through that winter alone. Then the next and the next...

I'm a big fan of avoiding winter. It kills.

pugman
09-25-2011, 09:50
While Fargo may meet the criteria, if SHTF, the winter is a no-go to me.

If it all goes wrong, that's a lot of food/fuel to make it through that winter alone. Then the next and the next...

I'm a big fan of avoiding winter. It kills.

True story: My sister was a Radiology technician at one of the two hosptials up there. The hosptial has a full size municipal snow plow with its back converted from a dump truck to a passenger cabin to pick up staff during bad winter storms

She gets a call from the driver..."hey can you walk about 4 blocks to X street I can't get through?"

The temp was 50 below zero. They had received 40" of snow over 36 hours.

Her husband was like there is no way you are walking that if the plow can't get to you.

Needless to say she missed work that day

Glocktastic
09-25-2011, 09:56
I got 50ac in Madison county NC for $500 per in the early 90s.Bought and paid fer.I'll be buried there.'08.

Western NC is one of the most amazing places I've been. Absolutely stunning.

Visited this summer for the first time and didn't want to leave.

I wouldn't move out west, as cool as that would be, if I could move there instead.

09-25-2011, 16:52
New Mexico

Cavalry Doc
09-25-2011, 18:11
Too far south and too close to Mexico :upeyes:

Texas is larger than most appreciate. Central Texas is probably about 5 states away from Mexico, by northern standards.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/CavDoc-3.gif

sebecman
09-26-2011, 10:30
Texas is larger than most appreciate. Central Texas is probably about 5 states away from Mexico, by northern standards.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/CavDoc-3.gif

Look at a map sometime, central Texas is maybe one Rhode Island and one Connecticut away from Mexico.....and those are the 2 smallest northern states.

Thanks though, I always get a chuckle out of Texans and their fixation on size....

Openroadracer
09-26-2011, 10:35

1 Gun friendly
3 Low tax rates

Any ideas?

I just moved from Utah after being there 11 years. Get 30-40 minutes away from SLC and things are pretty good. I was in Saratoga Springs, which is on the west side of Utah Lake in Utah County. Best thing about it was BLM/State land where I could shoot out past 1000yds within 10 minutes of my house. I'm not even LDS and it wasn't a problem.

St. George/Cedar City would be good also if you wanted land. It's very expensive to get more than an acre within 60 miles of SLC.

fourdeuce2
09-27-2011, 12:28
I never thought of the Ozarks as "western" until I moved here(about 20 years ago). We seem to be a crossroads area, with some wildlife and terrain you'd expect from "southern" states and other stuff generally associated with "western" areas. Got roadrunners, tarantulas, scorpions, coyotes(yeah, I know they're spreading everywhere), and other stuff like that. We also have armadillos and even some kudzu(which are also both spreading everywhere).

Cavalry Doc
09-27-2011, 17:59
Look at a map sometime, central Texas is maybe one Rhode Island and one Connecticut away from Mexico.....and those are the 2 smallest northern states.

Thanks though, I always get a chuckle out of Texans and their fixation on size....

Are you sure there aren't about 5 states that could be placed in the distance between central Texas and Mexico?

Consult a map.

I'll grant you the smaller ones are included.

SDDL-UP
09-27-2011, 22:31
Montana or Idaho

Unfortunately the job market is poor in both states. Oddly enough Montana politics is currently dominated by big mouth democrats, while Idaho is mostly republican. I'm new to Idaho myself and need to reasearch their politics because I'm sure there are many RINO's around.

sebecman
09-28-2011, 07:22
Are you sure there aren't about 5 states that could be placed in the distance between central Texas and Mexico?

Consult a map.

I'll grant you the smaller ones are included.

Sure but only if you pick the furthest points and use all the smallest states and maybe the District of Columbia. Of course it might help to know what you are calling "central Texas".

BonoVox
09-29-2011, 23:34
We have been to all of the states except WA and NE. We really love the the CO, MT, WY, UT, ID?, areas to look at but how about the winters?

What do you think about southern parts of CO or UT? Is it warmer? Is it a good place to live? Would we be better off going north with more snow and cold?

Also my wife does not want to live in the heart of mormon country so somewhere with a Christian population is going to be important to her. So across the street from BYU would be a problem for her, but having lots of mormons around would not.

Colorado Springs?

UneasyRider
09-30-2011, 09:21
Colorado Springs?

I have been there several times and really like it. Took Jeannette on the motorcycle a few times using that as our launching point for trips out west too. We both agree that CO is the most best looking state in the country as well.

Right now we are thinking UT or CO, maybe southern Idaho or MT depending on the amount of snowfall that they get there, with UT leading the way.

NMPOPS
10-02-2011, 21:09
New Mexico fits the bill perfectly. If you are concerned about illegals they are everywhere not just border states. Northern Arizona is also ptretty nice.

Sent from my Ally

DaScotsman
10-02-2011, 22:57

1 Gun friendly
3 Low tax rates

Any ideas?

Anywhere 10 miles north or south of I-80 between Cheyenne and Reno, excepting the SLC area.... Pick a decent sized town along that Interstate, and then look for something outside the main "city" limits.

Other than SLC, that is probably the least populated region of the US that has an Interstate nearby. I saw it last year, and Rock Springs, Winnemucca, and Elko were nice, clean, and relatively modern. It's far enough out there that any golden horde will not present a problem. And the landscape is gorgeous.

BTW... Look at your list again. If you include "not in perpetual winter" as one of your #d requirements, then which one does not belong with the others? I realize it's an ideal list, but small cities/large towns are usually so BECAUSE they don't have an awesome job market...

5150ffpm
10-03-2011, 00:17
I have been living in the Los Angeles area all my life. I retire from the Fire Department in six years andI have nailed my diggs down to Montana. Wyoming would be my second.

RMD
10-04-2011, 14:49
Colorado Springs?

I was thinking that too, but it fails OP's list on "not a ground zero" and may be too big as it's around 1/2 a million in population.

mac66
10-07-2011, 19:51
I am glad you all want to move west. That leaves northern Michigan all for me. Got 52 acres and can go south antytime I get sick of winter which so far has n't happened.

cowboy1964
10-10-2011, 05:05

Yeah man, Texas is TINY. It's almost as far north as Kentucky and almost further south than Florida. Of course Alaska dwarfs all. It's also mostly uninhabitable.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ad/Texas_in_United_States.svg/1000px-Texas_in_United_States.svg.png

sebecman
10-10-2011, 06:16
Yeah man, Texas is TINY. It's almost as far north as Kentucky and almost further south than Florida.

Yeah man, Texas is TINY.

And you, as well, miss the point - Go back and read the posts. He claimed you could fit 5 of the northern states in the distance between Mexico and CENTRAL Texas. I asked him to define CENTRAL Texas and he did not. Instead, you chimed in. Therefore, I will explain,

The exact center of Texas has been Geographically proven to be (and this is funny) CENTER CITY. Imagine that.

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc35

http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-the-exact-center-of-texas

And the nearest spot on the Mexican border to Center City is at Del Rio/Ciudad Acuna. It is ONLY 300 driving miles between the two...consult a map here,

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=30.582855&lon=-99.6623&zoom=8&q1=del%20rio%2C%20texas&q2=center%20city%2C%20texas

Now, for the arguement's sake, the claim must be that 5 Northern states are less than 300 miles wide/long, right?

WRONG. Massachusetts alone is over 200 miles long and I didn't even count the Cape.

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=41.661221&lon=-71.55587&zoom=8&q1=stamford%2C%20conn&q2=berlin%2C%20nh

Add half of Connecticut and your already there -

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=41.661221&lon=-71.55587&zoom=8&q1=stamford%2C%20conn&q2=berlin%2C%20nh

THATS NOT EVEN 2 of the Northern states. And I didn't even use Rhode Island.

Now please take your time in crafting your reply. I don't want you to make any mathematical errors.

Cavalry Doc
10-10-2011, 13:01
And you, as well, miss the point - Go back and read the posts. He claimed you could fit 5 of the northern states in the distance between Mexico and CENTRAL Texas. I asked him to define CENTRAL Texas and he did not. Instead, you chimed in. Therefore, I will explain,

The exact center of Texas has been Geographically proven to be (and this is funny) CENTER CITY. Imagine that.

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc35

http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-the-exact-center-of-texas

And the nearest spot on the Mexican border to Center City is at Del Rio/Ciudad Acuna. It is ONLY 300 driving miles between the two...consult a map here,

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=30.582855&lon=-99.6623&zoom=8&q1=del%20rio%2C%20texas&q2=center%20city%2C%20texas

Now, for the arguement's sake, the claim must be that 5 Northern states are less than 300 miles wide/long, right?

WRONG. Massachusetts alone is over 200 miles long and I didn't even count the Cape.

Add half of Connecticut and your already there -

THATS NOT EVEN 2 of the Northern states. And I didn't even use Rhode Island.

Now please take your time in crafting your reply. I don't want you to make any mathematical errors.

And if you correctly apply the distance (width or breadth of 5 states)

Can you fit 5 in 300 miles?

Rhode Island 21.25 mi east to west.
Delaware 33.95 , mi east to west at it's greatest width.
Connecticut 48.95 mi north to south.
Hawaii 73 miles at it's widest point.
Massachusetts 47miles north to south.

22+34+49+73+47 = 225.

:wavey:

sebecman
10-11-2011, 05:53
And if you correctly apply the distance (width or breadth of 5 states)

Can you fit 5 in 300 miles?

Rhode Island 21.25 mi east to west.
Delaware 33.95 , mi east to west at it's greatest width.
Connecticut 48.95 mi north to south.
Hawaii 73 miles at it's widest point.
Massachusetts 47miles north to south.

22+34+49+73+47 = 225.

:wavey:

Oh .....See I used DRIVING miles from the Mexican border to Center City to come up with the 300 miles. If I apply your logic, which appears to be a straight line at the States narrowest or widest point when it best suits your arguement, the distance from the border to Center City is actually just under 200 miles. :tongueout:

PLease refresh my memory, when exactly did Hawaii become a Northern State??:rofl::upeyes:

UneasyRider
10-11-2011, 07:43
What do you guys think of the area around Cortez or Durango CO?

RMD
10-11-2011, 09:29

Not sure about the employment market there, but it should fit your other requirements.

Glocken-spiel
10-11-2011, 15:33

the western slope usually gets the snow first. cortez is south right at the four corners, but kind of remote, in my opinion. durango is very nice, but can get land locked when it snows hard. they have a nice airport, of course, but it's a long way to drive (to central colorado). don't know about jobs. jobs are tough to find anywhere. i'm sure it partly depends and what you hope to do.

i'm in canon city (sw of colorado springs). NOT good job enviornment, but we are in a "banana belt" and thus a favorite destination for retirees. it can be snowing 2 feet just 1/2 hour from here, and we'll be dry. snow in colorado (front range) melts with a day or two. lots of sunny days here (over 300 per year).

Pueblo is smaller than C. Springs and still convenient to mountains. a i/2 hour drive will get you there. it's much more affordable then Denver area.

now Ft. Collins is very nice -- college town (Colo. State Univ.) probably better job prospects. it's also close to wyoming. you should look it up. fyi from a colorado native.