Mounting a backup gun holster to my vest [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a backup gun holster to my vest

Fadedsun
09-24-2011, 00:06
I am qualified to carry a backup gun but need a way to mount it to my vest (Where else can I carry it?!?!?!?) and in a holster that won't let the weapon fall out.

My belt is not an option. Too much stuff there already. I am issued a Sig 226, Taser, RCB baton, Radio, 2 handcuff cases, pepper spray, magazine pouch, holster, etc...on a 34 inch waist.

Oh, the gun is a glock 26.

collim1
09-24-2011, 00:47
Several companies make a vest holster that you run through/under your vest straps. I tried a few and couldn't make it work for me. I carry my BUG on my ankle.

Alot of guys use the Uncle Mikes for vest carry:

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2495.php

I have seen some guys use a belly band holster, or a 5.11 compression shirt with a built in pocket underneath the armpit also.

OmniscientX
09-24-2011, 01:48
I think I could get used to having something on my ankle, but if its time that a BUG is needed, going to a kneel doesn't seem to be in my best interest. Just something that's always made me stay away. Then unless you have a shirt that velcros behind the buttons, its hard to get to it from the vest. So you get a pocket holster and realize its tough draw out of your pocket with your duty belt in the way...I guess I can find a problem with anything. :crying:

Edit: Seems like someone on here said they carried a G26 behind their magazines.

COLOSHOOTR
09-24-2011, 03:18
Several companies make a vest holster that you run through/under your vest straps. I tried a few and couldn't make it work for me. I carry my BUG on my ankle.

I have seen some guys use a belly band holster, or a 5.11 compression shirt with a built in pocket underneath the armpit also.

I use that vest holster though the straps. Works great for me, does not show and stays put. Also, some guys put BUG's inside plate pockets or actually sew a pouch or holster to the front of their vests.

The only other options are ankle, pocket or belt carry depending on the weapon and your preference. I'm one of those people who just can't do the ankle holsters because they drive me crazy! Some guys love them though and can't stand vest holsters. Try stuff on, ask other guys what they carry and see what will work best for you!

Chowser
09-24-2011, 05:29
I have my Glock 33 on my vest using the holster that collim1 linked that. I actually have it set up for access with my right hand (I'm right handed), but in a pinch I can get it out with my left hand. Which is now moot, because I am also carrying my new Kahr CM9 in my left front pocket when working.

merlynusn
09-24-2011, 08:42
I tried a vest holster but the gun printed something fierce. But then again, I have a 32 inch waist. It was horrible. The backup gun kept knocking my taser or hitting my radio. It was pretty uncomfortable.

Lt Scott 14
09-24-2011, 11:51
Our dept issued the outer carriers w/pockets and velcro side adjustments. My bug was in a holster on the left side behind the vest pocket and above my shirt pocket. We used a Uncle Mikes in waistband cloth holster one size bigger so it is like a pocket, out of view, sewn to the carrier. I carried a S&W 442, and later CW40 Kahr, no problem.
Inside carrier, strapped under straps but a pain to remove in a pinch. Our shirts had the zipper fronts w/ the add on buttons. Sometimes carried the 442 in the left pocket of my jacket, or front trouser pocket. No change, knife, keys, nothing except my bug. Good luck try a few different ideas.

Kadetklapp
09-24-2011, 13:45
Easy and cheap way is to put an Uncle Mike's IWB holster inside the straps of your vest "shoulder rig style" under your shirt.

glockurai
09-24-2011, 16:10
I tried a vest holster but the gun printed something fierce. But then again, I have a 32 inch waist. It was horrible. The backup gun kept knocking my taser or hitting my radio. It was pretty uncomfortable.

Same here. Except for the 32 inch waist.:supergrin:
The BUG would bulge to the point that it looked stupid. IMO ankle carry is the way to go.

Arvinator
09-24-2011, 18:44
I wear a J frame 38 snubbie strapped to my vest with a Uncle Mike's Body Armor Holster.
I ALSO carry a J frame in my rear pocket stuffed in a Uncle Mike's Pocket Holster.
The rear pocket carry has the skinny grips with a Tyler Grip Adapter. I could carry a Keltec P-32 in there a little easier, and I do wear it on court days.
Glock 22, spare mags, flashlight ring, radio, OC, cuffs, and ASP on my 38 inch waist.
Was a 34 waist 21 years ago...

jkm
09-24-2011, 19:42
I hid a Det Special in my vest pocket for years. It rested behind an extra layer of kevlar. Dead center, easy to get at with either hand. Our uniform requires a tie, so that helped too. Doesn't matter if your shirt buttons or velcros. If you really need it, you won't worry about popping buttons.

9mmdude
09-24-2011, 20:06
I used this about 12 years ago for a couple of years. I carried a full size 5906 and later a SigP225 in the holster. Never a problem and it worked.

http://bugpocket.com/

DaBigBR
09-25-2011, 02:26
642 on my ankle (Galco Ankle Glove) and LCP in left pocket (Desantis Nemesis) for me. Vest carry does not interest me in the least. Ankle carry allows surprisingly fast access while sitting in a vehicle, which is often overlooked.

I believe somebody is/was making a vest holster that actually replaced the velcro straps...can't remember who, though.

lawman800
09-25-2011, 12:41
Find 10mm Nite Site and his awesome pics on his vest mounted holster setup.

I consider his to be the ultimate. I can't carry like that because my shirts are tailored tight but it works for him.

Personally, I just carry a j-frame in my pants pocket. (i have a 31" waist)

Ajon412
09-25-2011, 12:58
Find 10mm Nite Site and his awesome pics on his vest mounted holster setup.I consider his to be the ultimate. I can't carry like that because my shirts are tailored tight but it works for him.

Personally, I just carry a j-frame in my pants pocket. (i have a 31" waist)

Took me a while to locate this on the "Inter web"......:rofl:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1260880&page=2

Post #30.....:thumbsup: There are a ton of great ideas here....

lawman800
09-25-2011, 21:30
Man, that thread is full of win. Mostly my win, but still, win!

Yankee2718
09-25-2011, 23:23
I carry my 27 in an aker leather vest holster. It fits snug, holds tight, and has no need for a retention strap.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

msu_grad_121
09-25-2011, 23:59
Man, that thread is full of win. Mostly my win, but still, win!

SO humble! :rofl: Even if you are right... :supergrin:

merlynusn
09-26-2011, 09:07
Took me a while to locate this on the "Inter web"......:rofl:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1260880&page=2

Post #30.....:thumbsup: There are a ton of great ideas here....

I wouldn't be able to carry it like that because of how my vest carrier is. It doesn't have velcro along the whole front like that. But that is a great idea on where to carry it.

rangers305
09-26-2011, 09:20
i use this http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Pouches/Holster-Pouch.html it does have some printing but not a big deal for me, got the idea from the thread posted above works great so far

SCSU74
09-26-2011, 10:11

+1 love this holster, may want to check out getting an airweight, love love love the little gun for a BUG

Cochese
09-26-2011, 10:18
i use this http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Pouches/Holster-Pouch.html it does have some printing but not a big deal for me, got the idea from the thread posted above works great so far

This.

cowboywannabe
09-26-2011, 10:25
my shirts dont fit loose enough for vest carry of a gun like a g26 or J frame, makes me look like i have a tumor or something growing on me.

I carry a g26 on my ankle. maybe something slong the lines of a LWS in a vest holster could work for me as a third gun but anything bigger i would need a shirt that fits a bit on the sloppy side.

nitesite10mm
09-26-2011, 11:01
Thanks for some of the positive comments!

My 5.11 velcro holster method isn't perfect. You guys with tightly tailored shirts have a point. And my dept color (dark midnight navy) works way better in concealing a gun there than does tan or grey or light blue or white. But it's all I could come up with that allows easy access with either hand. That ambidexterous carry option is important to me. Pockets and vest straps and other ideas just didn't work. So to help hide the bump I keep a notepad in one breast pocket and a cell phone or digital recorder in the other. The thickness is blended over a wider area. A Scorpion cam clipped to one of the pocket pen slots further helps hide the bump.

If I ever decide to move the BUG off to one side I'll wear this over top of my vest.

http://www.511tactical.com/images511/thumb/40011_019_Alternate1.jpg

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Shirts/Undergear-Shirts/Holster-Shirt.html

Ajon412
09-26-2011, 13:35

My 5.11 velcro holster method isn't perfect. You guys with tightly tailored shirts have a point. And my dept color (dark midnight navy) works way better in concealing a gun there than does tan or grey or light blue or white. But it's all I could come up with that allows easy access with either hand. That ambidexterous carry option is important to me. Pockets and vest straps and other ideas just didn't work. So to help hide the bump I keep a notepad in one breast pocket and a cell phone or digital recorder in the other. The thickness is blended over a wider area. A Scorpion cam clipped to one of the pocket pen slots further helps hide the bump.

If I ever decide to move the BUG off to one side I'll wear this over top of my vest.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Shirts/Undergear-Shirts/Holster-Shirt.html

Not a bad idea......I might give this a try....Thanks...:wavey:

CJStudent
09-26-2011, 14:27

I've used it too, with the same results; a little printing, but actually not that noticable.

msu_grad_121
09-26-2011, 15:10

Just to get it clear in my own mind, you're going to wear an undershirt of some kind, then your vest, then this shirt, and then your uniform shirt? Seems like it's gonna be really hot, only because I know how thick parts of that holster shirt are, but definitely keep us posted if that's the route you're going to go.

I used to carry a LCP in some cheap IWB holster on my vest straps on my left side, accessible to my right (strong) hand. Probably not the ideal setup, but... :dunno:

nitesite10mm
09-26-2011, 20:38
Just to get it clear in my own mind, you're going to wear an undershirt of some kind, then your vest, then this shirt, and then your uniform shirt? Seems like it's gonna be really hot, only because I know how thick parts of that holster shirt are, but definitely keep us posted if that's the route you're going to go.

It's just an idea I'm tossing around. Yes, I'd try it with some type of CoolMax undershirt such as what I already wear, then my vest, and this shirt over top. I think the vest is already trapping in tons of heat and the areas where the shirt are contacting the vest aren't going to trap any more measureable heat to what I'm already experiencing.

I could take this 5.11 shirt to a seamstress and have the sleeves and tails removed and re-hemmed so I don't think it'd add more insulation than what 3/8" of vest thickness does. The only area that might trap more heat would maybe be the shoulders.

Alabama is hot, but I don't see why trying it in spring and fall and winter aren't possibilities.

lawman800
09-26-2011, 20:43
Those shirts generally suck. It won't really work for anything bigger or heavier than a LCP.

msu_grad_121
09-26-2011, 21:13
It's just an idea I'm tossing around. Yes, I'd try it with some type of CoolMax undershirt such as what I already wear, then my vest, and this shirt over top. I think the vest is already trapping in tons of heat and the areas where the shirt are contacting the vest aren't going to trap any more measureable heat to what I'm already experiencing.

I could take this 5.11 shirt to a seamstress and have the sleeves and tails removed and re-hemmed so I don't think it'd add more insulation than what 3/8" of vest thickness does. The only area that might trap more heat would maybe be the shoulders.

Alabama is hot, but I don't see why trying it in spring and fall and winter aren't possibilities.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to start anything, I just really didn't understand it at first. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work, and you're right, if you're already wearing armor in Alabama, how much worse is this gonna make it?

Keep me posted, this sounds like something interesting. :wavey:

nitesite10mm
09-26-2011, 21:13
Good to know, LM800. So it wouldn't work with a 709 or 442, both of which I already lean toward?

nitesite10mm
09-26-2011, 21:20
Sorry, I wasn't trying to start anything, I just really didn't understand it at first. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work, and you're right, if you're already wearing armor in Alabama, how much worse is this gonna make it?

Keep me posted, this sounds like something interesting. :wavey:

I took no offense. Don't apologize for asking logical and reasonable questions.

Whata do you think of my idea of cutting off sleeves and tails and re-hemming so it's basically the length and width of just my vest?

msu_grad_121
09-26-2011, 22:27
I took no offense. Don't apologize for asking logical and reasonable questions.

Whata do you think of my idea of cutting off sleeves and tails and re-hemming so it's basically the length and width of just my vest?

Sorry, I keep reverting to my former relationships, where logical and reasonable questions always ended with my nose bleeding... :supergrin:

I think you'd be well served with that modification, assuming it'd offer enough of an "anchor" to allow you to draw the weapon quickly and efficiently. On the whole, I like the idea, especially if it would hold a larger weapon securely, which apparently is in question.

I'm almost wondering if you could go with a shoulder holster setup under your U shirt, but over your vest. I could have sworn 5.11 or somebody made a real "pared down" shoulder rig that even had a strap across the front to keep the weapon in the same place during twisting and such. I'll do some google-fu and see if I can come up with it. Otherwise, I'd say give the shirt a try. If you don't like it, it's by no means the end of the world, right? :wavey:

Ajon412
09-26-2011, 22:38
:whistling:Sorry, I keep reverting to my former relationships, where logical and reasonable questions always ended with my nose bleeding... :supergrin:

I think you'd be well served with that modification, assuming it'd offer enough of an "anchor" to allow you to draw the weapon quickly and efficiently. On the whole, I like the idea, especially if it would hold a larger weapon securely, which apparently is in question.

I'm almost wondering if you could go with a shoulder holster setup under your U shirt, but over your vest. I could have sworn 5.11 or somebody made a real "pared down" shoulder rig that even had a strap across the front to keep the weapon in the same place during twisting and such. I'll do some google-fu and see if I can come up with it. Otherwise, I'd say give the shirt a try. If you don't like it, it's by no means the end of the world, right? :wavey:

Is this what you were referring to?....:wavey:

http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

Sorry, I keep reverting to my former relationships, where logical and reasonable questions always ended with my nose bleeding... :supergrin:

Gee, sounds like you were married once....:whistling:

msu_grad_121
09-26-2011, 22:40
Ah, found what I was looking for, but of course, it's discontinued. You might be able to find a place that still has some in stock, but who knows?

http://www.tacticalpantsusa.com/5tacomeve.html

For reference, it's a 5.11 Tactical Concealment Mesh Vest, and supports their Backup Belt System (basically it's covered with velcro), so as far as where to put the weapon, you're more or less only limited by your imagination.

msu_grad_121
09-26-2011, 22:42
Is this what you were referring to?....:wavey:

http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

Not what I had in mind, but I don't see why something like that wouldn't work? Then again, what do I know? :supergrin:

lawman800
09-27-2011, 05:13
I like the survival sheath optimist rig. Almost bought one years ago. Then thought it probably wouldn't work anyway.

As for the shirt, I have one from another maker and it sagged noticeably that it became uncomfortable for me when wearing the 709, which weighed about the same as my 642, so I only used it for the lcp, which worked perfect in it.

Ymmv.

jokon
09-27-2011, 12:06
the pants we wear are 5.11 TDU, I wear a uncle mike's ankle holster size 12 for my G26 and access is fine, doensn't get hung up on the grip cuz I don't use the pinky extension. It's also easy to access when driving as mentioned earlier. works for me.