Avast anti virus, free version a 30 day trial only? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Avast anti virus, free version a 30 day trial only?

Dragline
09-24-2011, 18:05
I recently downloaded and added Avast AV free version to my wife's laptop and she just started getting a pop up from them which indicates that her free trial is about to end.
Checking their site at the bottom it does indeed say the free AV is a 30 trial.
But I have had it (the free version) on my desktop for quite a while and never got a notice telling me a free trial was about to end.
Did something change recently?
I don't remember where I downloaded mine from, is there another site to DL a forever free version?

IndyGunFreak
09-24-2011, 22:40
You didn't download the Free Version most likely, you downloaded/Installed the "Normal Version"...

I put it on my Pastor's PC about 4-5 weeks ago, no such problem.

GIockGuy24
09-25-2011, 20:52
The free version has an email activation registration that has to be done in 30 days. It used to send a number by email but the latest version may be automatic when you enter an email address but I'm not certain of that. Either way a free registration is required.

You can download the free version here.

http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/

To uninstall the current version it's recommended to use the Avast uninstaller in safe mode. You can download to the desktop where you can find it. If you have the free version that only requires registration you can click the registration box on the interface and don't have to uninstall. You may have the trial version instead. Oh I think the latest free version may offer the trial version as an installer option so it may just be how you installed it.

Avast uninstaller (if required)

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

boomhower
09-26-2011, 00:33
If it still gives you issues after the suggestions above give Microsoft's Security Essentials a spin. I've tried every free virus software over the years, most of them multiple times, and this one is by far and away my favorite.

GIockGuy24
09-26-2011, 08:59
Reading this again I think you do have the free version. It only requires a free registration after 30 days. The registration requires only an email address. If it emails you a long number copy and paste it in the registration box in the programs interface. The newest version may not even require that. Make sure you have the newest version of the program and not just the latest updates for an older version. It's best to uninstall and do a clean install when updating the base program. Look at the version number and check the first link I posted.

cgwahl
09-26-2011, 09:39
Yeah, you probably just need to register it. Used to be you were emailed a code, but I think now it's done within the program. Lot easier and less annoying.

Registration I think is good for a year, although it might be different now.

Dragline
09-26-2011, 10:10
Thanks folks!
Yeah that was it, I needed to register it with an email address.
Must have missed that on the initial install.
Good for a year now!