Aimpointers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Aimpointers

njl
09-24-2011, 18:41
I just removed an Eotech XPS 2-0 from one of my ARs and put on an Aimpoint PRO. It's my first Aimpoint, and I'm a little disappointed that the documentation that came with the PRO appears to all be Aimpoint generic rather than specific to the PRO.

One of the things I'm curious about is, why does it come with a transparent rear cap, but an opaque front cap? Do you bother opening the rear, or just the front when using the rifle?

I've got an LMT BUIS mounted behind the PRO. I assume I can use the dot either while looking through the LMT or while looking over it (in which case the dot will appear in the upper 1/3 of the tube).

TunaFisherman
09-24-2011, 18:48
I have a comp and I think all there manuals come that way. They sell to the army and probly reduces amount of manuals sent out and no need to look around for one when you can grab your buddys and it will have the info you need.
I leave my rear cover down.

WoodenPlank
09-24-2011, 18:49
I just removed an Eotech XPS 2-0 from one of my ARs and put on an Aimpoint PRO. It's my first Aimpoint, and I'm a little disappointed that the documentation that came with the PRO appears to all be Aimpoint generic rather than specific to the PRO.

One of the things I'm curious about is, why does it come with a transparent rear cap, but an opaque front cap? Do you bother opening the rear, or just the front when using the rifle?

I've got an LMT BUIS mounted behind the PRO. I assume I can use the dot either while looking through the LMT or while looking over it (in which case the dot will appear in the upper 1/3 of the tube).

So long as you are shooting with both eyes open, the PRO can actually be used with the front cap closed. Using both eyes results in seeing the dot with your dominant hand eye, and the target with the other eye - the dot ends up superimposed on the target by your brain. Not an ideal way to shoot, but it works in a pinch. The optic was designed for LEO use, so the clear cap meant the optic was already to go, and could save a couple seconds fiddling with the front cover. I just removed both flip up covers on my M2 and use a killflash.

As for your BUIS, if the dot is not centered, you will see a slight shift in POA/POI inside 50 yards. With the standard mount, the dot is at a true cowitness, meaning you look through the sights to see the dot in it's correct position. If you switch to folding sights, you want to try to keep the dot centered in the tube, but you'll still hit reasonably close to POA if it isn't.

samuse
09-24-2011, 19:51
So long as you are shooting with both eyes open, the PRO can actually be used with the front cap closed.

Yup.

Now that you have a real optic you can ditch that big rear sight.:supergrin:

njl
09-24-2011, 21:41
So long as you are shooting with both eyes open, the PRO can actually be used with the front cap closed. Using both eyes results in seeing the dot with your dominant hand eye, and the target with the other eye - the dot ends up superimposed on the target by your brain. Not an ideal way to shoot, but it works in a pinch.

I just tried this, and it kind of works. I can see the dot with the front cover down, but I see the dot shifted over quite a bit, like a foot off in windage at just 10yds.

WoodenPlank
09-24-2011, 21:45
I just tried this, and it kind of works. I can see the dot with the front cover down, but I see the dot shifted over quite a bit, like a foot off in windage at just 10yds.

Yeah, it takes some getting used to to make your eyes focus the right way. Not something you want to do all the time, but it can make a difference in an emergency. Or just do what I do and ditch the lens covers. :rofl:

FatBoy
09-24-2011, 23:04
Pretty much works like an old Armson OEG w/ the front cap down. OK in a pinch.

FB

MrMurphy
09-25-2011, 12:22
I don't bother using caps on mine except in storage.

Considering my issued M2 was hailed, snowed, frozen, roasted, rained, and sandstormed on and it came out fine?

Not really necessary.

Yes, the M-series (which the Pro is part of) excepting the M4 (different battery locations) all work identically. They don't change things randomly about like half the Eotech series, so there is no reason to have multiple manuals except the T/H-1 series and a few others.

boomhower
09-25-2011, 14:14
Yup.

I disagree. Aimpoints are dead nuts reliable but anything electronic can and will fail, usually at the worst possible time. I have a Pro as well but still run fixed front and rear sights. I changed the mount to a lower 1/3 ADM QD mount and love the set-up.

samuse
09-25-2011, 14:59
I disagree. Aimpoints are dead nuts reliable but anything electronic can and will fail, usually at the worst possible time. I have a Pro as well but still run fixed front and rear sights. I changed the mount to a lower 1/3 ADM QD mount and love the set-up.

I was mostly kidding.

Does anyone find the lower 1/3 co-witness to make the cheek-weld a little awkward? I have a PRO in a LaRue M68 mount and I think I like it better at absolute height.

surf
09-25-2011, 17:56
If you like it better at standard cowitness height leave it. Many like the lower 1/3 as it removes more of the rear sight from your vision as you are looking over the rear sight when using the red dot. Also when wearing a helmet a more head upright position is often desirable as the helmet doesn't flop over sideways into your view. Heck a more heads up aligned orientation is a better shooting position overall IMO.

MrMurphy
09-25-2011, 17:58
Agreed. 3 years running an absolute cowitness sucked with a K-Pot on, though the MICH/ACH did solve most of that problem.

The lower third is preferable for room to room work (better peripheral) with or without helmets.

I currently use a fixed rear simply because I had it and it works, but a folding rear is better. In the very low odds that the Aimpoint dies, you can use the tube and front sight as a backup sight till you have a few seconds to flip the rear up.

Airborne Infantryman
09-25-2011, 18:06
Yup.

I'd imagine myself, numerous other Infantrymen, and the vast majority of SOCOM would strongly disagree with you. Let's not turn this into an EOTech bashing thread....:wavey:

samuse
09-25-2011, 19:28
I'd imagine myself, numerous other Infantrymen, and the vast majority of SOCOM would strongly disagree with you. Let's not turn this into an EOTech bashing thread....:wavey:

I said I was kidding.:wavey:

Airborne Infantryman
09-25-2011, 19:43
I said I was kidding.:wavey:

Ah, gotcha. I recant my statement. :embarassed:

samuse
09-25-2011, 19:45
Ah, gotcha. I recant my statement. :embarassed:

No worries.

Thanks for bein' an Airborne Infantryman.

Airborne Infantryman
09-25-2011, 20:00
No worries.

Thanks for bein' an Airborne Infantryman.

Thanks for the kind words. :wavey: