No more "dot in the box" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : No more "dot in the box"

canav844
09-25-2011, 00:44
So two months ago I still had the "dot in the box" stock ploymer sights on my G27. Then I added Mepro night sights (only brand the LGS stocks, and I gotta say I've been pretty happy with them) and now today added a laser grip. Got a lot of practice in with just the night sights before getting the laser grip, will be interesting to see how it affects my accuracy when I make another range trip this week. I've been quite pleased with the night sights, and for some reason it's much easier to pick out the front sight than with the standard Glock sights, even when they white over in the daytime. Batteries die on the laser and I've still got robust night sights ready to go.

Some shameless photos.....
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-VloIMTdqyaA/Tn7FqDgBvUI/AAAAAAAAEwQ/JLlJkM3Ycqk/s576/022.JPG
(Serpa fits with room to spare, and more importantly keeps me from having to photoshop out the SN:embarassed:, the G23 mag is the spare, I carry with the G27 9 rounder as my primary)
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-O206635L2qQ/Tn7FsQHa1XI/AAAAAAAAEwY/k3cposz7Tsk/s640/024.JPG
The extra width does rule out the use of some of my CC holsters.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Bla4V25UQ-4/Tn67wS7W9bI/AAAAAAAAEvo/dJhzBE_tqBU/s640/037.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Net5yA5KNow/Tn67qANg1HI/AAAAAAAAEvg/DfZ_aRyi74c/s640/043.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-agLgk75wl8A/Tn67m9RebMI/AAAAAAAAEvc/Ji7cTEkeyDA/s640/032.JPG

I'll add an update after I go to the range later in the week but if the dry fire was any indication I think the laser will help be a good training aid, and I'll take any edge in a self defense situation that I can get. And fwiw, I do carry a Blackhawk Gladius Flashlight anytime I'm up and about, so despite as the pictures may show I'm NOT using the laser for ID or in place of a flashlight, just sight picture enhancement and as a tell for any flinch or bouncing I have during the course of shooting at the range.

TxGlock9
09-25-2011, 01:31
It's probably hard to focus on the front night sight because the rears glow just as bright. Which is exactly why I went with the ameriglo operators. Rear night sights are dimmer, smaller, and contrasting in color.

Turbo810
09-25-2011, 02:02
Nice. How does it it feel when bringing it up on Target? The grip now looks bulky. I thought about getting one myself. Just not sure how I would like the feel.

canav844
09-25-2011, 11:31
It's probably hard to focus on the front night sight because the rears glow just as bright. Which is exactly why I went with the ameriglo operators. Rear night sights are dimmer, smaller, and contrasting in color.
I think my message was missed, with the Night sights, finding the front is much easier than with the polymer painted on stock Glock sights. I did look into varying the colors but it would have added much cost and time, so for this time I elected to just go standard green.
Nice. How does it it feel when bringing it up on Target? The grip now looks bulky. I thought about getting one myself. Just not sure how I would like the feel.
The battery on the side of the grip falls in my palm of my right hand when shooting right handed; in dry fire it feels fine (and I had it loosely fit over another 27 in store before I bought it). I think the real test will come on Wed. when I can pencil in a trip to the range.:cool:

JBP55
09-25-2011, 11:52

I concur.

hawgrider
09-25-2011, 12:58
I am looking forward to your thoughts after you shoot it some. I am looking at the same for mine.

TxGlock9
09-25-2011, 14:40
Make sure you take pics and do a report

canav844
09-28-2011, 23:50
Put the review in another thread responding to a question about the grips, so I'll just copy and paste that here...

I put one on this weekend, did some dry fire practice with it, took it to the range today. Dry fire did do a good job of showing those telltale movements in my trigger pull when the trigger bar slips just low enough to release the firing pin, and I got to really narrow down the amount of movement in the critical moment; so I can see it's potential as a handy training aid before you ever send a round down range.

I did night sights first, batteries can and do die over time, and if I don't stop for the special batteries I still want sighting ability in the dark. Dot shows up well in my 120 Blackhawk Gladius's beam, it's definitely there during the daylight, it's just smaller only the center focus of the beam is really visible.

I've found that with a good purchase but light pressure it's not illuminated, so I can tighten and loosen the web between my thumb and index finger for some on and off control, as well when you have a proper grip and are not on target your finger is not on the trigger and is indexed on the frame, in front of the laser beam, it lights your finger up but you're not telegraphing your movements with the dot. If the dot is on my target and they want to use it as a point of reference, they're likely stuck looking through the muzzle flash of the 27 when I see they're looking to shoot me.

The grip has some more girth, I made the purchase at a local store and had them fit it on a 27 they had in the case so I could feel what it would add before I bought it. The batteries sit where my hand creates a natural gap against the otherwise flat side of the Glock.

It's not much of a difference when I've got a good sight picture, as the dot sits on the other side of the front sight, when on the move, firing rapidly, or in situations where there is a less than ideal sight picture it did help me know when I was on target sooner. The biggest result of this during my range time was when I had two paper plates next to each other, 2 rounds in the first two in the second reload, the two rounds going to the second target were consistently better grouped when I let one eye track the laser as the gun moved between targets.

So in an ideal world it'll make little to no difference...we don't live in an ideal world, and it is my opinion that the $160 investment I made in it may provide some advantage should I need to use the firearm in self defense. Night sights have made a bigger difference for me and for about 2/3s the cost ($100 installed in my little corner of the world, I've seen them as low as 70 installed though depending on brand). For the 3 G27 compatible holsters I have, the laser grips will work with two.

I did grab a few photos, it's a lot harder to see the laser in the photos than it was in person, but I'll upload them and post them here later in the week for those that are interested.