how to carry rifle mags [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : how to carry rifle mags

imaguy3
09-25-2011, 09:55
So I'm finally going through the rifle class and need to figure out how I'm going to carry my extra rifle mags. Speaking with the other guys going through with me, it seems most are picking up an external Molle carrier, throwing old vest panels in it, a couple mag pouches on the outside and calling it a day... The other "popular" option is using a drop down leg rig to carry a couple mags. In either case, it would be something that has to lay in the trunk and can be easily put on when deploying the rifle...

The place in town with the gear I'm looking at is a Mil Surplus store and they have a 24 hour return policy... so I'd hate to get one thing, figure out it doesn't work for me, and not be able to return it... I'm just trying to get a good idea first of what might work best for me...

I'm leaning more towards the thigh rig for several reasons. First is cost, $30 bucks vs. $150. Secondly, how much "extra" protection will the old panels provide against a rifle round if they're just IIIA anyway, so it seems to me you're adding a lot of weight/bulk (remember I'm wearing my regular vest already) for really not much extra protection... Also it seems like the vest could get in the way of a lot on the belt?

For those of you who carry a rifle, how do you do it and what are the pros/cons?

RVER
09-25-2011, 10:05
How many 30 round mags are you planning on burning thru? The left back trouser pocket easily holds two... Not "tacticool" but it's pretty quick to put into the pocket as your grabbing your rifle and very quick on the reload.

ClydeG19
09-25-2011, 10:16
If the S ever HTF, I have an outer vest with both an extra rifle and pistol mag in it. I figure I'll toss an extra rifle mag in my cargo pocket and head into the fray. Barring a Beslan style event, I should be able to take care of business with 84 rounds of 5.56x45 and 61 rounds of .40. Hell, I get bored at the range after that much.

Cochese
09-25-2011, 10:49
So I'm finally going through the rifle class and need to figure out how I'm going to carry my extra rifle mags. Speaking with the other guys going through with me, it seems most are picking up an external Molle carrier, throwing old vest panels in it, a couple mag pouches on the outside and calling it a day... The other "popular" option is using a drop down leg rig to carry a couple mags. In either case, it would be something that has to lay in the trunk and can be easily put on when deploying the rifle...

The place in town with the gear I'm looking at is a Mil Surplus store and they have a 24 hour return policy... so I'd hate to get one thing, figure out it doesn't work for me, and not be able to return it... I'm just trying to get a good idea first of what might work best for me...

I'm leaning more towards the thigh rig for several reasons. First is cost, $30 bucks vs. $150. Secondly, how much "extra" protection will the old panels provide against a rifle round if they're just IIIA anyway, so it seems to me you're adding a lot of weight/bulk (remember I'm wearing my regular vest already) for really not much extra protection... Also it seems like the vest could get in the way of a lot on the belt?

For those of you who carry a rifle, how do you do it and what are the pros/cons?

I would put cost lower on the list. $150 is nothing if it saves your ass on a crappy day.

Also, you may or may not be facing a rifle. It may be a MWAG call where its some Banger with a .380 and in that instance, that extra vest may save your bacon for any number of reasons.

That said, I have a 30 round may in my gun and 20 rounder on top of my patrol bag in a pouch. I grab that along with my rifle. It goes in my cargo pocket.

Done.

DaBigBR
09-25-2011, 10:53
I've got a 20 rounder on my belt and a three magazine Safariland subload that I assembled from parts. There are other mags in the bag. I'll try to snap a picture later...it cost me about $100 to put it together, but it beats the hell out of the cheaper nylon one it replaced.

David Armstrong
09-25-2011, 11:07
How many 30 round mags are you planning on burning thru? The left back trouser pocket easily holds two... Not "tacticool" but it's pretty quick to put into the pocket as your grabbing your rifle and very quick on the reload.
That has been my option. A go-bag in the trunk is nice, but for grab and use a spare mag in the back pocket is a pretty good combination.

imaguy3
09-25-2011, 11:15
Cochese, sorry the list wasn't in any particular order, just how I typed it... I understand it won't always be up against a rifle, but my current vest stops most handgun rounds, I'm just concerned about the extra bulk, does it hinder more than the extra panels help?
The cost is more of a "do I really want to spend the extra money to be cool like the other guys if it doesn't really help me?"

They are issuing us 3-30rd magazines, so I figured one in the gun and two backups.

Rver, I played with putting the mag in my back left pocket and didn't mind it, but you mentioned "trousers". Assuming you don't mean uniform pants, the one is a tight fit...

and I wish we had cargo pockets. We've been lobying to try to get them but the Chief hates the look...

razdog76
09-25-2011, 11:22
I used a saw gunner bag (holds 6 AR mags), and attached a molle shotgun shell holder on the opposite side. You could something similar very inexpensively.

I have extra ammo, medical stuff, and a snack in there instead of AR mags. I hang it on the weapon lock behind it so it is easily accessible, but out of the way.

For a little more, a molle vest to attach whatever you want. My agency would frown on me being too tacti-cool since I am not part of the team, and I might scare someone.

Gangrel
09-25-2011, 11:42
I have a satchel/gobag with one shoulder strap for big stuff. However, any time we use our rifle we have to take an extra nag. That (for most deployments) just goes in my back pocket.

jokon
09-25-2011, 12:33
a 'tactical man-purse' from a reputable manufacturer works well, the ones with the external mag pouch or the molle type. It's easily thrown over the opposite shoulder of your sling and can double as a dump pouch. Holds lots of nachos and dip too.

nikerret
09-25-2011, 13:12
I have a bailout bag by my AR. We are given six 30 round mags. I also keep two bottles of water and some granola bar type snacks inside.

If I grab my rifle, I rarely grab an extra mag. It's a habit I need to change. It isn't that hard ot grab a mag out of the bag and throw it in a cargo pocket.

Cochese
09-25-2011, 13:14
a 'tactical man-purse' from a reputable manufacturer works well, the ones with the external mag pouch or the molle type. It's easily thrown over the opposite shoulder of your sling and can double as a dump pouch. Holds lots of nachos and dip too.

http://www.uspeacekeeper.com/products/bags-packs/rapid-deployment-pack.html

My wife has used one as a purse for three years. Tough as nails.

Cochese
09-25-2011, 13:23
Cochese, sorry the list wasn't in any particular order, just how I typed it... I understand it won't always be up against a rifle, but my current vest stops most handgun rounds, I'm just concerned about the extra bulk, does it hinder more than the extra panels help?
The cost is more of a "do I really want to spend the extra money to be cool like the other guys if it doesn't really help me?"

They are issuing us 3-30rd magazines, so I figured one in the gun and two backups..

You're obviously thinking. That's what I do. I'm not trying to suggest you don't. I like the way you do things. Best thing to do is give someone else's a try before you buy. I don't like any extra bulk either. I've toyed with putting together a shooter bag, but I got distracted assembling a training vest. I'll probably buy that peacekeeper bag, put some 1911/AR mags in there with Quik Clot, an Israeli bandage, etc.

imaguy3
09-25-2011, 13:30
You're obviously thinking. That's what I do. I'm not trying to suggest you don't. I like the way you do things. Best thing to do is give someone else's a try before you buy. I don't like any extra bulk either. I've toyed with putting together a shooter bag, but I got distracted assembling a training vest. I'll probably buy that peacekeeper bag, put some 1911/AR mags in there with Quik Clot, an Israeli bandage, etc.

Unfortunately only one guy has his setup ready to go (and he's way bigger than me) so it doesn't give a good representation as the vest is way to big... The other guys have their stuff on order, and since we're the first group going through for our department there's no one else on the department I can get "real world" info. from...

I'm not a fan of the bag thing only b/c that's another strap around my torso and something else flopping around... I'm only looking for a way to carry an extra mag or two... if I were to go with the vest I may throw some extra cuffs or something...

The most important things to me are ease/quickness of deployment and working without causing problems with other equipment (ie: vest or bag getting in way of other batman belt items) I may just go through the training with the mag in the back pocket and see if that learns me anything as to what's working and not working...

Cav
09-25-2011, 13:34
In the Infantry if I did not have 7+ 30 round mags on me I felt like I did not have enough ammo.

As a police officer, my agency issues two 30 round magazines, loaded with 20 rounds each. One magazine is locked, but not loaded, the other magazine gets stored in the car near the weapon.

What I have done that works for me on the LEO side;

A single mag case that mounts on the weapon, near the buttstock.

Two magazines that are attached.

A magazine in my cargo pocket.

On my SHTF vest I have one magazine, two pistol mags, and some shotgun shells as we have three weapon systems and you never know what you might need more ammo for.

A Go Bag that has a few extra mags.

Now a few officers I work with have a belt set up that holds a 20 round magazine close to them and the two pistiol mags are mounted to the front of the mag holder (looks like you just have two pistol mags to the average person. There are two makers I know of for this set up.

IMHO if I have to use my M4 as a police officer, I would hope that I would not need more than 40 rounds (that would be a lot of shots for a long range weapon with well placed shots). I would hope that other officers would have more ammo and it could be divided up. I would think that pistols, shotguns, and rifles would all come into play, and that SWAT would take over at a set point.

Granted anything can happen, but I only have so much room on me and in my car. I do keep some things in my office just in case things go really bad.

CanIhaveGasCash
09-25-2011, 13:56
I use a drop leg magazine pouch. I forget the brand but it attaches via a buckle that you put on your inner belt so that if you have to use it you can quickly attach it. I also have a heavy vest that I can use for more storage if needed.

imaguy3
09-25-2011, 14:06
Now a few officers I work with have a belt set up that holds a 20 round magazine close to them and the two pistiol mags are mounted to the front of the mag holder (looks like you just have two pistol mags to the average person. There are two makers I know of for this set up.

I've looked at that, back when we were writing our proposal the Sgt. wanted to see it, so I had started a post earlier this summer about it. From what I gather though it sucks to carry 30's in it the whole time... so I probably wouldn't keep a mag in it all the time, it would just serve the same purpose as the backpocket. Grab a mag and stick it in the pouch, or grab a mag and stick it in back pocket...

On Safariland's site they have a "Model 74" which is an ar mag integrated with pistol mag pouch, yet I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere to look at (not even online, even though their site says "available 4/11")... http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=74

I use a drop leg magazine pouch. I forget the brand but it attaches via a buckle that you put on your inner belt so that if you have to use it you can quickly attach it. I also have a heavy vest that I can use for more storage if needed.

Yeah, the one I'm looking at is the same way it definately would be quick to put on and not get in the way. Unfortunately I don't know anyone that uses that setup to tell me if it's easier to use than pulling a mag out of the back pocket? What do you think of it? Does it move around on your leg, or give you any other problems/annoyances?

Denikes
09-25-2011, 16:09
I've used Center Mass Inc.'s P.I.M.P for almost two years. Works great for me but some don't like how far it sticks out.

I like how you can choose a variety of mounting methods.

http://www.centermassinc.com/Integrated_mag_pouch.html

jokon
09-25-2011, 17:21

that's what I'm talkin' bout!

jnc36rcpd
09-25-2011, 18:15
It might be my Homer Simpson-like figure, but I found accessing a rifle magazine in the pocket easier done on a square range than in the field or even when qualifying.

I have used a thigh rig such as are made by SOTech or Specter when we first started the rifle program. If you go that route, you may want to go with just two magazines rather than four.

Never say never, but a second vest over your SBA is unlikely to stop anything your concealed armor won't stop. We do have people carrying their old armor and magazines this way, but I doubt they do a lot of training in the set-up.

Another option might be a chest rig such as made by Shellback, Eagle, Tactical Tailor, and numerous other manufacturers.

A go-bag is certainly a good thing to have, but you're correct you'll have something swinging around. If you change your mind and go that route, you'll want a smaller one such as the ITOA bag or the Peacekeeper. You may want a second larger bag for disasters, riots, and so forth, but you'll want something small if you're going to take it out routinely.

collim1
09-25-2011, 18:33

For normal patrol use I do this. I only carry a pistol caliber carbine, but on a hot call I grab the carbine out of the rack and stuff my back pockets with spare mags.

imaguy3
09-25-2011, 18:52
I have used a thigh rig such as are made by SOTech or Specter when we first started the rifle program. If you go that route, you may want to go with just two magazines rather than four.

Never say never, but a second vest over your SBA is unlikely to stop anything your concealed armor won't stop. We do have people carrying their old armor and magazines this way, but I doubt they do a lot of training in the set-up.

I'm thinking of either that PIMP holder plus one in the back pocket... or the thigh rig...

Unfortunately I disagree about the 2nd vest stopping rounds one wouldn't. If it's not rated for rifle two won't be. A co-worker/firearms instructor took 4 old level III vests out at a range session. Put it against a medium (to resemble the body, so it would work properly). An AK-47 punched clean through all 4.

Pepper45
09-25-2011, 19:03
I have a 20 in the rifle, a 20 and 2-30's in the map pocket of the door, with the 2-30's in some .mil mag bags. They issued us a molle outer carrier for our new vests, in addition to the concealed carrier. I don't like wearing the outer carrier all the time, so I just put two double mag pouches on it with 4-30's, and three extra magazines for my G21. My old armor went into it, and that sits in my trunk for an active shooter rig. The way I look at it, the 2-20's up front should be enough to handle a felony car stop, if not, that's why I have to 2-30's as well. If I have to grab the rifle and move quickly, the four magazines *should* be more than enough. If there is a real active shooter issue, on goes the vest, and the extras go in my back pocket, cargo pocket(s). Not elegant, but better than most, and it works for me.

CJStudent
09-25-2011, 19:23

I bought one of those not too long ago, just to toy with the idea if I ever decide to get out of the fence. Thing is freakin' bombproof, and well organized. 4 rifle mags, 2 pistol mags, radio, and whatever else you want to throw in there works great. Also an easily attached and detached velcro strap to hook it to your belt to keep it from flopping around.

CAcop
09-25-2011, 21:35
I have used a Maxpedition Thermite bag for awhile now. If I load if up with mags I can get five in the main compartment and maybe another one or two in other pockets. I usually just have two AR mags in the main compartment with a small bottle of water. On the outside of the bag there are a couple of pouches for one duble stack mag or two single column mags each. I also have a small monocular, spare batteries, an extra handcuff, and when I remember some food.

If I were starting over again I would take a look at BCM's chest rig that 03designgroup did. Or Olongapo Outfitters shoulder or chest rigs.

Mcoupe
09-25-2011, 21:41
A Maxpedition Versipack would be a good choice.

Hack
09-25-2011, 22:03
Vest is good, thigh holster might be good but I never tried one. If you have room in your pockets for an extra mag or two then utilize those as well. I know it sounds rather old school but taping magazines together to use, (if allowed), gives you more room for extra ammo, and that is with using 30 rounders. That man purse looks like it could be good, but I never tried it, nor had a need to. I used to carry my small amount of stuff for a training mission in a butt pack and be done with it, as to snacks, and carry a canteen, but that could get in the way of your equipment belt.

puckhead
09-25-2011, 22:10
I use a mag coupler thing so I just flip and go, and it is always there when I grab the rifle. Also have two in my go bag. So 60 rounds with just the rifle, 120 for active shooter if that should happen

GackMan
09-26-2011, 00:16
A lot of guys I know have "layers" to their mag plan.

One mag in the gun and one more on the gun or with them in something like
- a stock pouchhttp://www.tacticaltailor.com/stockmagpouch-1.aspx or
- mag clamped
- a redimag http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5)
- on their belt in something like a blade-tech mag pouch

So they can grab the gun and have at least 2 mags with them.

Then they can supplement that with something like a
- a leg sub load of 2 or 4 mags
- a "bail out" bag
- a vest with mag pouches

for planned or extended deployments on a perimeter, active shooter, or whatever.

On the cheap, a guy I know took one of these:http://www.countycomm.com/minebag.html and put a 3 mag shingle on the outside of it so he has 2 mags with him, 3 on the bag, and a bag full of tools, snacks, a water bottle, etc.

Other guys have full plate carriers and helmets.

I think a lot of it has to do with your agency - policy on equipment, how rifles are deployed, the environment you patrol, what have you.

Agent6-3/8
09-26-2011, 07:44
Once I get settled with another department I'll probably pick up a molle carrier like this one from Tactical Tailor:

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/leloadbearingvest.aspx

Based on past experiences, I want something I can get on quickly that will securely carry my gear. I've tried bailout bags and don't like them at all. Too hard to get mags out of when needing to quickly reload and flop around when you run.

I'm also not opposed to dropping the cash for a molle hard armor carrier. Sure it would add weight and restrict mobility, but it would be a worth while investment if you ever end up in a active shooter situation or SHTF situation where rounds are flying like North Hollywood where the BG's are toting rifles. One with detachable hard armor would be optimal, but I'm not sure how may of those carries are out there to choose from.

rookie1
09-27-2011, 13:19
My rifle bag has spots on the front for 4 mags and we keep one in the gun unchambered. When I deploy the rifle I take the first 2 (which have duty ammo) and place them in my right gargo pocket. The other two bags have just regular practice ammo and depending I might throw them in my left cargo pocket. When I train I always use the two in my right pocket so I hope ill go for them first when it counts. I would rather have the two mags without duty ammo rather than two empty mags and worry about it later than be out of ammo.

imaguy3
09-27-2011, 13:27
The other two bags have just regular practice ammo and depending I might throw them in my left cargo pocket. When I train I always use the two in my right pocket so I hope ill go for them first when it counts. I would rather have the two mags without duty ammo rather than two empty mags and worry about it later than be out of ammo.

I would hate to accidentally grab a non-duty ammo mag though when you meant to grab a duty mag... If we ever used anything other than department issued ammo... we would be in heeps of trouble, administratively at least... (assuming it's not a super duper exigent circumstance were I ran out of all my ammo, like the North Hollywood shootout)

Our policy says the only ammo we can carry is department approved/issued. Yeah we're still alive, but I wonder then if the department would leave us out to hang if we broke policy?

series1811
09-27-2011, 13:37
Maybe, I was just never really ready for the Apocalypse, or a zombie invasion, but I never carried but two 30 round magazines in the pouches attached to my ballistic vest. And, one of these would be the one I loaded into my AR whenever I took it out.

I had several more in my vehicle, but how much weight are you going to carry every time you go out on an op? It ain't Afghanistan.

The only times I carried more was when I was qualifying.

ray9898
09-27-2011, 15:17
Back pockets hold 2 each. Not very 'tactical' but it gives me 150 rounds if I need them and takes away that 'out gunned' feeling.

rookie1
09-27-2011, 23:25
I would hate to accidentally grab a non-duty ammo mag though when you meant to grab a duty mag... If we ever used anything other than department issued ammo... we would be in heeps of trouble, administratively at least... (assuming it's not a super duper exigent circumstance were I ran out of all my ammo, like the North Hollywood shootout)

Our policy says the only ammo we can carry is department approved/issued. Yeah we're still alive, but I wonder then if the department would leave us out to hang if we broke policy?

I guess its "approved" for practice. In the times where I deployed the rifle I have only taken the 2 spare duty mags. If those run out, we have a issue much greater than using only duty ammo. I also have peice of mind knowing that I have 2 more mags that may save lives. Sometime here soon ill buy 60 more rounds of duty .223.

TheDog21
09-28-2011, 05:39
http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Outerwear/Vests/Chest-Rig.html?

I run this with 4 rifle mags and 2 extra handgun mags loaded onto it. It sits right next to the rifle in the trunk if I need it I just throw it over my head and buckle it up.

SCSU74
09-28-2011, 12:54
we all carry a blackhawk thigh rig, holds 4 PMAGS and has an adaptor that snaps onto your belt, it works really well...

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Omega-Elite-M16-Mag-Pouch-Holds-4,122,111.htm

GackMan
09-28-2011, 15:15
we all carry a blackhawk thigh rig, holds 4 PMAGS and has an adaptor that snaps onto your belt, it works really well...

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Omega-Elite-M16-Mag-Pouch-Holds-4,122,111.htm

One guy had a set-up like that where he put the two rifle mags in the front at x26 in the rear mag pouch.

Saved him quite a bit of realestate on the belt.

bccop
09-28-2011, 22:01
I carry one mag on my duty belt in a 5.11 single mag pouch with the flap removed.

One day I might get issued a tac vest with plates and mag pouches. They are on order. I still like having one mag on my belt in case I don't have time to get my vest.

Chowser
09-28-2011, 22:23
we have ours setup in the car with a dual-mag clamp. so the rifle has two mags with it when we pull it out. after 60 rounds, we still have 46 rounds of .357. that should be enough to get back to the car where we still have a shotgun.

in my car, i keep another mag for the rifle and glock 31 in driver door pocket. slugs and extra buckshot are in the glove box.

SCSU74
09-29-2011, 09:19
One guy had a set-up like that where he put the two rifle mags in the front at x26 in the rear mag pouch.

Saved him quite a bit of realestate on the belt.

ya ive also seen guys carry only 2 mags and use the extra space for medical supplies i.e. tourniquet, gauze, quikclot etc. I like the set-up a lot because i just grab it out of my patrol bag and insert the tab into the adaptor on my belt and i'm good to go.

LilCop2002
09-29-2011, 12:24
As a short term solution (call outs) I think that the thigh rig will be fine. If you have to wear it long term (normal duty belt) it will become a huge pain in the butt and thigh.

Somehow, my old USAF Security Police unit got it in their heads that this was a great item to have. Needless to say, after under a year of having, we went back to a full vest.

KCNUKE
09-29-2011, 19:15
A fellow GT member built this for me, it wasn't that cheap but works great.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-zHot0wpT5js/TkH17_cw8xI/AAAAAAAAAK0/qQF_sHxp_6s/s720/IMG00092-20110809-1245.jpg

COLOSHOOTR
09-30-2011, 03:13
I've used Center Mass Inc.'s P.I.M.P for almost two years. Works great for me but some don't like how far it sticks out.

I like how you can choose a variety of mounting methods.

http://www.centermassinc.com/Integrated_mag_pouch.html

I use one of these too and highly recommend the product to anyone else like me who has limited real estate on their duty belt. I have not had enough doughnuts in my career to allow extra room for a mag pouch along with the other stuff I have to carry. Due to that problem I have the IMP behind my handgun mag pouch up front and have a 20rd Pmag in it at all times. The whole thing sticks out about as far as a double cuff pouch and does not restrict any motion as long as you don't have a gut to get in the way. It's perfect for your typical rifle deployments where you don't need all the extra gear.

For the dreaded active shooter situation I do have a blackhawk vest with IIIA panels and soon to have level III plates in it with 3-30rds mags, pistol mags, a med kit, casualty extraction gear and all the other tools I may need while on the hunt for a shooter. I don't deply the vest in most situations because it's not usually worth the extra weight and thats why I have the mag on my belt. I generally feel okay with a 30rd mag in the gun and the extra 20rd one on my belt. On a typical deployment where I feel an extra may be needed I just toss one on my back pocket.

DaBigBR
09-30-2011, 08:37
A fellow GT member built this for me, it wasn't that cheap but works great.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-zHot0wpT5js/TkH17_cw8xI/AAAAAAAAAK0/qQF_sHxp_6s/s720/IMG00092-20110809-1245.jpg

That would be me. I have the same rig. LOVE IT.

Thanks for posting it!

Kahr_Glockman
09-30-2011, 09:06
How much does that set up cost. It looks really good.

DaBigBR
09-30-2011, 10:22
How much does that set up cost. It looks really good.

There are two ways to do it:

EASY WAY:

3x Safariland 774 Magazine Pouch @ $25.60 each
http://www.copquest.com/23-8155.htm

1x Safariland 6005 Base Shroud @ $89.25
http://www.copquest.com/23-6100.htm

Total: $166.05

You can save about thirty bucks doing the 6005-10 one strap, low profile shroud, but I think that three thirty rounders would be heavy enough to make that not work as well.

CHEAP WAY:

3x Safariland 774 Magazine Pouch @ $25.60 each
http://www.copquest.com/23-8155.htm

Safariland 6005-11 Vertical Strap w/Buckle @ $32.00
http://www.copquest.com/23-6375.htm (4th item down)

2x Safariland Thigh Strap for Drop Leg Holster @ $14.00
http://www.copquest.com/23-6375.htm (6th item down)

Safariland 6004-4 Double Leg Strap Shroud @ $12.00
http://www.copquest.com/23-6375.htm (7th item down)

TOTAL: $148.80

The difference? The pieced together one is missing two "t-nuts" that I bought for $0.08 each at a local hardware store. It looks like prices have gone up some, too. I think that I put mine together for more like $120, which was comparable enough to some of the $80-$100 subloads out there. The Safariland rig has excellent magazine retention, it feels more compact, and you can substitute any two or three hole Safariland accessory in any position on the shroud.

kpuscg04
10-01-2011, 09:12
I just got back from a rifle class. The majority of our class had or purchased fastmag (http://www.itwmilitaryproducts.com/content/fastmag™). I did not have it at the beginning of class, but purchased one while I was down there.

They sped up my reloads significantly. It securely holds the mag in any position (some guys had them upside down), but easily allows you to rip mag from the pouch.

Three of these will easily attach to a molle thigh rig. If you decide to go the vest route, they work there as well. You may not be able to get as many on, depending on what you already have on your vest.

DVeng
10-03-2011, 14:45
I just got back from a rifle class. The majority of our class had or purchased fastmag (http://www.itwmilitaryproducts.com/content/fastmag™). I did not have it at the beginning of class, but purchased one while I was down there.

They sped up my reloads significantly. It securely holds the mag in any position (some guys had them upside down), but easily allows you to rip mag from the pouch.

Three of these will easily attach to a molle thigh rig. If you decide to go the vest route, they work there as well. You may not be able to get as many on, depending on what you already have on your vest.

How many "rows and columns" of MOLLE does each one take? I currently have a MOLLE thigh rig with a nylon 4 mag pouch on it, but I am not very happy with it. The nylon isn't big enough so pulling 1 PMAG without the one next to it coming out can be an issue.

kpuscg04
10-03-2011, 20:52
How many "rows and columns" of MOLLE does each one take? I currently have a MOLLE thigh rig with a nylon 4 mag pouch on it, but I am not very happy with it. The nylon isn't big enough so pulling 1 PMAG without the one next to it coming out can be an issue.

Just checked it. It is 2 columns wide and 3 rows tall. I'm not sure if how big your thigh rig is, but if you can't put a column between each mag, you might have issues.