What about LRRP's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What about LRRP's

walkin man
09-25-2011, 15:34
Any old guys besides me remember the old vietnam era freeze dried rations called LRRP's or long rats? Short for long range ration patrol. Those were good chow with a little hot sauce. Or mayby I was just hungry all the time then. I would like to find something comparable now to supplement my food stores.
walkin man

kirgi08
09-25-2011, 16:10
:popcorn:

cowboy1964
09-25-2011, 16:19
Never heard of them. How are they better than MREs?

M1A Shooter
09-25-2011, 16:25
you can sometimes find them on sites like beprepared.com but anymore mountain house is much easier to get and stock.

they arent obsolete as i know i had several in a-stan a few years ago.

walkin man
09-25-2011, 16:35
Never heard of them. How are they better than MREs?

They were freeze/dehydrated so they were real light. You could eat them dry in a pinch but you had to drink a lot of water if you did. Half a canteen cup of hot water, a shake of hot sauce and 10 minutes later you had a good meal. That is the chicken and rice, beef stew were my favorites. Chile con carne, man those beens never did rehydrate and the gas attacks later, whew.

walkin man

medicguy94
09-25-2011, 22:07
I have heard of them and even ate one years ago. I thought it was pretty good.

Von Hayes
09-26-2011, 11:04
I heard you could tell if Charlie's morale was low by looking for drag marks from his rifles...is that true?

spencer1860
09-27-2011, 16:36
There was one with coconut in it that was incredibly good. I think the original production ones are well past their "eat by" dates....

Sam Spade
09-27-2011, 17:16
Guess I'm old, too. The cornflake bars were great.

Today's equivalent? Mountain House.

leadbutt
09-27-2011, 17:25
Ham & MOTHERS!!!!! and John Wayne Bars !!!!!!!!!!

walkin man
09-27-2011, 18:05
Guess I'm old, too. The cornflake bars were great.

Today's equivalent? Mountain House.

Yeah, I have a good bit of Mtn House stored away. I just miss the old long rats and wish someone still made them.

Not the ham and mothers though :cool:

walkin man

Chindo18Z
09-27-2011, 19:40
I sorta grew up on LRRPs back in the day. As near as I could ever tell, some of the main meals were Mountain House.

There is no difference between some of the old ration entrees and today's Mountain House Beef Stroganoff, Spaghetti, and Chicken and Rice meals.

Add some canteen water, rubber band the top of the bag, place into your jungle fatigue cargo pocket, keep moving for a half hour or so until you established a patrol base, and the meal was hydrated and semi-warm from body heat...ready to eat with a splash of Tobasco. :pirates:

walkin man
09-28-2011, 09:11
I sorta grew up on LRRPs back in the day. As near as I could ever tell, some of the main meals were Mountain House.

There is no difference between some of the old ration entrees and today's Mountain House Beef Stroganoff, Spaghetti, and Chicken and Rice meals.

Add some canteen water, rubber band the top of the bag, place into your jungle fatigue cargo pocket, keep moving for a half hour or so until you established a patrol base, and the meal was hydrated and semi-warm from body heat...ready to eat with a splash of Tobasco. :pirates:

Yeah, that was a growing up experience for an 18 year old kid. Thats the way we fixed supper to, couldn't do with out that little bottle of Tobasco.

walkin man

Chindo18Z
09-28-2011, 17:25
Here's an archived link to info about LRPs (dated 2002):

http://www.mreinfo.com/us/older/lrp-dscp-archive-page.html