Cheyenne proverb. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cheyenne proverb.

frank4570
09-25-2011, 18:09
When you lose the rhythm of the drumbeat of god, you are lost from the peace and rhythm of life.

Roering
09-26-2011, 00:08
When you lose the rhythm of the drumbeat of god, you are lost from the peace and rhythm of life.

My favorite on the subject-

"Rythm is a dancer
Its a choice companion
You can feel it in the air"

-Snap!

snowbird
09-29-2011, 09:27

Is that what happens when a kestrel grabs a sparrow in its talons (from the sparrow's point of view)? How about when Theo van Gogh was peacefully riding his bicycle along the quiet back streets of Amsterdam a few years ago, until that hate-crazed (i.e. a Koran-believing Mohammed-imitating) Muslim jumped out with his (illegally-owned) pistol blazing?

In Sunday school years ago, we sang, "God sees the little sparrow fall".

Jesus said, "...the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service". But He also said He will reprove the world of sin, and provide a place in heaven for those who trust in Him. I'm sure there are good Cheyenne Christians who also pray for Christ's speedy return.

steveksux
09-29-2011, 18:37
Deep in the rain forest, the client asks about the steady rhythm of the drums. "No worry, drums good. Drums stop..... VERY BAD..."

On they go, drums keep playing. What do the drums mean? "No worry, drums good. Drums stop..... VERY BAD!!!!!"

After an hour or so, suddenly the drums stop.... Panicked, the client asks the guide... "OMG!!!! What's going on the drums stopped!!!!"

"DRUMS STOP!!!! VEEEERRRRY BAD!!!!! NOW COME BASS SOLO!!!!"

Randy

Japle
09-29-2011, 19:34
How does a professional trumpet player increase his gas milage?

He takes the Dominoes delivery sign off the roof!

frank4570
09-30-2011, 04:48
Is that what happens when a kestrel grabs a sparrow in its talons (from the sparrow's point of view)? How about when Theo van Gogh was peacefully riding his bicycle along the quiet back streets of Amsterdam a few years ago, until that hate-crazed (i.e. a Koran-believing Mohammed-imitating) Muslim jumped out with his (illegally-owned) pistol blazing?

In Sunday school years ago, we sang, "God sees the little sparrow fall".

Jesus said, "...the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service". But He also said He will reprove the world of sin, and provide a place in heaven for those who trust in Him. I'm sure there are good Cheyenne Christians who also pray for Christ's speedy return.

I can't make any sense out of what you're trying to say.

snowbird
09-30-2011, 07:33
I can't make any sense out of what you're trying to say.

1 Corinthians 1:21

For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

It is God's intention that worldly wisdom should not be the means of knowing Him. This world views Christian preaching, about Christ's crucifixion for our sins, as foolish. Some years ago, in a Russian novel (translated into English) I noticed a character labelled "a fool in Christ". It turns out that that is in the Bible.

Texas357
09-30-2011, 11:38
Deep in the rain forest, the client asks about the steady rhythm of the drums. "No worry, drums good. Drums stop..... VERY BAD..."

On they go, drums keep playing. What do the drums mean? "No worry, drums good. Drums stop..... VERY BAD!!!!!"

After an hour or so, suddenly the drums stop.... Panicked, the client asks the guide... "OMG!!!! What's going on the drums stopped!!!!"

"DRUMS STOP!!!! VEEEERRRRY BAD!!!!! NOW COME BASS SOLO!!!!"

Randy
:rofl::rofl:

I laughed.

frank4570
09-30-2011, 21:11
Uh, huh. Johnny is the only one marching in time.:upeyes:

No reasoning with zealots.

1 Corinthians 1:21

For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

It is God's intention that worldly wisdom should not be the means of knowing Him. This world views Christian preaching, about Christ's crucifixion for our sins, as foolish. Some years ago, in a Russian novel (translated into English) I noticed a character labelled "a fool in Christ". It turns out that that is in the Bible.

NMG26
09-30-2011, 21:15

Frank,

Christains believe that only Christains can be inspired by God.

It is in the Bible.

NMG26
09-30-2011, 21:23

I say the same God that speaks through the Bible, speaks throught the Cheyenne.

Romans 8:6
"For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace."

I've always used Romans 8:6 as a test, to see if I am on my correct spiritual path. Am I experiencing life and peace? Spirituality has a lot to do with how we feel.

Do I feel at peace? Do I feel the life in me? The Cheyenne was tapped into the same spirit.

frank4570
09-30-2011, 21:25
Frank,

It is in the Bible.

Goofy freakin people.
The jews say that god told them all good people have a chance to be close to god. I don't see any good reason to reverse gods ideas on that.

frank4570
09-30-2011, 21:26
One body of water with many wells.

I say the same God that speaks through the Bible speaks throught the Cheyenne.

Romans 8:6
"For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace."

I've always used Romans 8:6 as a test to see if I am on my correct spiritual path. Am I experiencing life and peace. Spirituality has a lot to do with how we feel.

Do I feel at peace? Do I feel the life in me? The Cheyenne was tapped into the same spirit.

steveksux
10-02-2011, 07:39
God said let there be a supermarket. And so it was. They sell all sorts of green beans. Fresh. Frozen. Birds Eye. Green Giant. And it was good.

Over time, the Fresh bean eaters decided the people getting the frozen ones were going to Hell. The Birds Eye folks decided the Green Giant guys were unworthy and needed to be converted to Birds Eye or be killed.

God just said green beans are good for you. He's getting more than a little pissed.

Randy

juggy4711
10-03-2011, 14:04
Goofy freakin people.
The Jews say that god told them all good people have a chance to be close to god. I don't see any good reason to reverse gods ideas on that.

I agree completely.

One body of water with many wells.

I've never heard that before but I really like it. Simple and poetic.

Schabesbert
10-03-2011, 15:16
Frank,

It is in the Bible.
Where?

That would be a surprise to Christians from at least Justin Martyr (actually, St. Paul) to Pope Benedict XVI, and many in between.

Actually, even St. Joh (see John 11:51 and thereabouts).

frank4570
10-03-2011, 16:01
Where?

That would be a surprise to Christians from at least Justin Martyr (actually, St. Paul) to Pope Benedict XVI, and many in between.

Dude, I don't think you know OTHER Christians as well as you think you do. You are a lot more optimistic than I am based on my own experience. I am not a christian but I go to church with my wife because the christians at her church are just such a great bunch of people.
But seriously, some people at other churches are just batty. A guy in the bank the other day was telling the bank employees that people who sunbathe won't go to heaven because of vanity. This was in a freakin bank.

Roering
10-05-2011, 18:02
"Rythm is going to get you"

-Gloria Estefan (and the Miami Sound Machine)

Schabesbert
10-06-2011, 06:37
Dude, I don't think you know OTHER Christians as well as you think you do. You are a lot more optimistic than I am based on my own experience. I am not a christian but I go to church with my wife because the christians at her church are just such a great bunch of people.
But seriously, some people at other churches are just batty. A guy in the bank the other day was telling the bank employees that people who sunbathe won't go to heaven because of vanity. This was in a freakin bank.
OK, but that doesn't mean that you (in the rhetorical sense, not you, personally) can extrapolate from "some people at other churches" to "Christains believe that only Christains can be inspired by God."

Vic Hays
10-06-2011, 08:17

That was pretty judgmental wasn't it? God sees the thoughts and intentions.

frank4570
10-06-2011, 08:37
OK, but that doesn't mean that you (in the rhetorical sense, not you, personally) can extrapolate from "some people at other churches" to "Christains believe that only Christains can be inspired by God."

Fair enough. Some christians, many christians, turn-or-burn christians, how ever you want to put it.

True story. We have a friend who comes over, he is a minister at a small local church. He is a young guy, at an old church. I'm sure he is going to leave.
Since his church is small and getting smaller, he suggested they start doing some stuff with other local small churches. The elders at his church considered this. A church he suggested was rejected. He was told that since that church does not have christ, or christian in the name, the members are hell-bound.
I'm not making this up.
Christians.

Vic Hays
10-06-2011, 11:32
Fair enough. Some christians, many christians, turn-or-burn christians, how ever you want to put it.

True story. We have a friend who comes over, he is a minister at a small local church. He is a young guy, at an old church. I'm sure he is going to leave.
Since his church is small and getting smaller, he suggested they start doing some stuff with other local small churches. The elders at his church considered this. A church he suggested was rejected. He was told that since that church does not have christ, or christian in the name, the members are hell-bound.
I'm not making this up.
Christians.

frank4570

Unfortunately some Christians do not understand salvation very well. They think that professing the name of Christ is what saves them.

This is similar to the JW's and other groups called sacred namers that believe God requires a certain pronunciation of His name in order for God to hear their prayers. The Church of God also teaches that the name of the church must be Church of God to be authentic. Some also teach that no musical instrument may be used in the sanctuary. They conscientiously believe these things.

It all boils down to a lack of understanding of what God requires of them.

Peter had this to say about who God accepts:

Acts 10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
10:35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

frank4570
10-06-2011, 12:00
You say they are bad christians, they say you are a bad christian.

frank4570

Unfortunately some Christians do not understand salvation very well. They think that professing the name of Christ is what saves them.

This is similar to the JW's and other groups called sacred namers that believe God requires a certain pronunciation of His name in order for God to hear their prayers. The Church of God also teaches that the name of the church must be Church of God to be authentic. Some also teach that no musical instrument may be used in the sanctuary. They conscientiously believe these things.

It all boils down to a lack of understanding of what God requires of them.

Peter had this to say about who God accepts:

Acts 10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
10:35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

Vic Hays
10-06-2011, 14:24
You say they are bad christians, they say you are a bad christian.

Criticism is a good thing if we look at ourselves and ask if it might be true. You might notice that I didn't say they were bad Christians. I just pointed out where I think they are in error in their understanding. I let God do the judging.

I look at the Word of God and ask, "What would Jesus do?"

Matthew 5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
5:12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

I would rather please God than men.

NMG26
10-06-2011, 19:08
Where?

The Bible is the "inspired word of God", according to the doctrine of the sectarian Chrisianity.

There is no other authority that gets this title.

I have been told many times that my inspiration does not come from God, because it does not line up with some sects way of thinking.

That is what I meant.

Now if the Cheyenne that wrote that Proverb, was inspired by the same God that inspired the Bible writers, then I would have to say, that Bible is not the "only inspired word of God".

Is this not common thinking among Christians?
If it is, then of course, we have the proof of scripture to back it up. It is in there........we just have to pull it out.

frank4570
10-06-2011, 19:41
The Bible is the "inspired word of God", according to the doctrine of the sectarian Chrisianity.

There is no other authority that gets this title.

I have been told many times that my inspiration does not come from God, because it does not line up with some sects way of thinking.

That is what I meant.

Now if the Cheyenne that wrote that Proverb, was inspired by the same God that inspired the Bible writers, then I would have to say, that Bible is not the "only inspired word of God".

Is this not common thinking among Christians?
If it is, then of course, we have the proof of scripture to back it up. It is in there........we just have to pull it out.

We just had somebody here recently say they thought the Koran was written by somebody possessed by demons, for the purpose of leading people away from jesus. Pretty common kind christian attitude in my experience. Even christians claiming other christians are agents of satan or whatever.