Do you guys use Chronographs? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys use Chronographs?

crsuribe
09-25-2011, 21:33
If so, what model/brand would you recommend?

I'm thinking about a Chrony Beta, which WalMart sells for $99, or the ProChrono which is $110 shipped from Midway.

Which one would you get?

I want something that gives me highs, lows, averages and SD and I'm not sure the F1 does that..

Wash-ar15
09-25-2011, 21:38
Had the shooting chrony. no good. get the pro chrono. i think midway has them on sale now

crsuribe
09-25-2011, 21:45
Yeah they're on sale for $99 + $10 shipping 'til 09/30

_The_Shadow
09-25-2011, 21:54
I use a CHRONY F1 Master with the remote display that stay near the bench that I got from MidwayUSA for $79 and built a micro momentary switch on a 1/8"/3.5mm stereo jack (center tip not used with the momentary switch making connection to the other pins), to obtain all the other info of a string...No complaints here!

This retrieves the Velocities, Hi, Lo, Adv, ES, SD info

BTW I mount it on an Old ironing board (FREEBY) which is higth adjustible and folds flat,

Meathead9
09-25-2011, 23:18
I use the same one The_Shadow uses (Shooting Chrony F1 Master), and it's been absolutely perfect. I'm glad I didn't spend an *****load of money for features I don't need. It has been accurate, and trouble free for me.

Boxerglocker
09-25-2011, 23:54
Had the shooting chrony. no good. get the pro chrono. i think midway has them on sale now

:agree:

ron59
09-26-2011, 07:13
IMO a chrony is a must have. "Feel" is way too subjective for me. I've also found if I change projectile, powder, or oal.. targeting the same velocity gets me the same poi and groups. (all same bullet weights). I load 147grainers, and my target velocity is around 915fps out of my G17.

Edited: I have the pro chrono also, got it when it was on sale for $99 from Midway. The only thing about it.... if you ever mess up and shoot it, you're out the whole thing. If I ever do that, I'll replace with the version where the sensors are separate from the brain.

I have shot the support bars for the diffusers several times, but they've just bent... easy to bend back into shape and continue to use.

Zombie Steve
09-26-2011, 08:06
I have a pro chrono. Inexpensive and very few issues. You'll learn a lot about your loads.

Keep in mind if you shoot at a range with a bunch of people, it will be really nice to have a remote so you don't have to run out and hit a button every 10 shots.

crsuribe
09-26-2011, 08:32
The F1 Master is the same price as the ProChrono. But the regular F1 is much cheaper..

Decisions decisions :(

fredj338
09-26-2011, 09:22
I have been using a chronograph since they had paper screens. I find it a must in load developement & while loading w/o is easily done, you never really now what you have w/o one. I use one a lot, so the Chrony line doesn't cut it. Far too many missed shots do to poor screen qaulity. If you only need the occasional PF number, they are fine. If you want to collect vel data while shooting for groups, you need a better machine. The CED is about the best one going for the money right now & I have used one alongside my Oehler & a Chrony BM. No comparison, the CED is a far better machine.

Ceapea
09-26-2011, 09:34
I have been using a chronograph since they had paper screens. I find it a must in load developement & while loading w/o is easily done, you never really now what you have w/o one. I use one a lot, so the Chrony line doesn't cut it. Far too many missed shots do to poor screen qaulity. If you only need the occasional PF number, they are fine. If you want to collect vel data while shooting for groups, you need a better machine. The CED is about the best one going for the money right now & I have used one alongside my Oehler & a Chrony BM. No comparison, the CED is a far better machine.

Yep! I recently UP-graded to a CED M2 from a Beta Chrony. I too had way too many missed shots with the Chrony, and various other "errors". Probably all misses of some sort. It did however, work great with pellets, back in the days of my European airgun collecting faze.
The CED is miles ahead of the Chrony stuff. I think that it is on sale right now for $179 at one of the major online supply houses.

jeffreybehr
09-26-2011, 12:36
I too have and love a Competitive Edge Dynamics M2 chrono. It's reliable, easy to set up, and most of all, I can easily use the computer/display head at my computer desk or reloading bench.

fredj338
09-26-2011, 13:39
Yep! I recently UP-graded to a CED M2 from a Beta Chrony. I too had way too many missed shots with the Chrony, and various other "errors". Probably all misses of some sort. It did however, work great with pellets, back in the days of my European airgun collecting faze.
The CED is miles ahead of the Chrony stuff. I think that it is on sale right now for $179 at one of the major online supply houses.

All of the Chrony models use the same cheap screens, gotta be the cheapest in the industry. You have to place the shot perfectly over the center of the screen no more than 8" high to get good readings. That is tough to do when you are shooting groups @ say 300yds down range or even 50ft down range. If you get the shots perfectly centered, the readings are as accurate as an Oehler. It's just getting the shots. Ever wonder why so many Chrony's get shot?:dunno: They are functrional if all you want is the occasional PF reading or if you do NOT care to shoot for groups while taking vel readings. Just tape a piece of cardboard beyond the last screen, put an aiming point 6" up & dead center & shoot for that. That will get you reliable readings from a Chrony nearly 100% of the time.

crsuribe
09-26-2011, 20:39
Some great advice here, thanks guys. The CED is a bit out of my price range atm but will definitely add it to my wishlist.

PCJim
09-26-2011, 22:25
Here we go again..... I use the Chrony Beta Master and have not had the problems a lot of others have had with missed shots and error readings. I suppose living in the GunShine state has its benefits - while the sun might cook you if you stay outdoors enough, at least we have enough good light to reliably operate my BM. Also, if you cannot keep your shots at 7 yards in a 1" circle, you may experience problems with any unit.

Granted, the screens could definitely be better built, but they do serve the purpose. If the plastic sections ever break at the joints, they can be replaced.

I will say that whatever unit you decide upon, get one with a remote display that you can keep on the bench with you.