Weird 7.62x54r issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Weird 7.62x54r issue

LSUAdman
09-26-2011, 20:34
Had something weird happen on Saturday. I picked up a new to me 1944 Mosin 91/30 to keep my M44 company. Since we were heading directly to the range after the gunshow, I stopped by some random booth and picked up two packs of 20 round light ball in little wrapped paper packages. I later found out that it was of Chinese manufacture.

Well out for the first five rounds, three rounds fired perfectly, two didnt. I thought it was the rifle and I reinserted the rounds. Still no fire. Popped them out, could see the primer was dempled but the rounds did not go off. Tossed them onto the field and loaded 5 more rounds.

Same thing happened, this time only 2 good rounds out of 5. Same issue.

I looked up Chinese x54r reliability and people had generally good things to say about it. Was there something wrong with the ammo, or should I look at the rifle? Anyone have any experience with this?

DWARREN123
09-27-2011, 01:27
With good primer hit I would say it is the ammo.

Aquanewt
09-30-2011, 21:44
There is a possibility that the firing pin and spring are 'gunked up' with cosmoline and that was causing your problem.

kf4zra
09-30-2011, 23:21
shot the chinese brass cased stuff in my svt-40 and many mosins and have never had a prob with it.
did you try putting it back in and giving it a second hit?

if the firing pin and spring arent full of nastiness, then it has to be the ammo.

LSUAdman
10-01-2011, 09:25
shot the chinese brass cased stuff in my svt-40 and many mosins and have never had a prob with it.
did you try putting it back in and giving it a second hit?

if the firing pin and spring arent full of nastiness, then it has to be the ammo.

I did try to reshoot a few of the rounds with no success. The pin did impact the primer, and primer was very dempled, just no ignition.

It was right off the shelf. I wiped as much cosmo off in the car on the way, but I did not strip the bolt, so that could be the issue. I have, since, totally stripped it and removed all the damn cosmo.

You wouldnt believe how much they put on the bayonet.

Anyway, I think I like shooting this one more than my M44. Great rifle - definately one of my favorites in my safe right now.

E-2-E
10-01-2011, 18:54
I've never taken any milsurp straight to the range without first giving it a good cleaning, and inspection. Although I have 3 tins of Chinese ammo, I haven't shot any of it. I also like shooting the 91/30 over the M44.

never enough
10-02-2011, 10:12
same here

sharpshooter
10-14-2011, 21:44
I can't imagine taking ANY gun straight to the range without first cleaning it and inspecting it... Let alone an old cosmoline covered relic. Safety first.