These are junk, right? Well, all but one... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : These are junk, right? Well, all but one...

Beanie-Bean
09-26-2011, 22:49
Just want to make sure that the two versions of Federal cases are not usable for reloads. According to many in the 10-page sticky, AMERC and FC are junk. However, "FEDERAL" is supposed to be good. Same company, right?

There was a special guest in the shell sorter, too. I think it was a sign that my next caliber pistol will fire some rounds just like this sample at the top:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Reloading/IMG_8306.jpg

I'm asking about the FC 10 and the FEDERAL NT brass, specifically. I picked up everything around me when I left, and there were a lot of the Federal-stamped brass that made it into my collection bucket.

I'm keeping the Starline 10mm, for when I finally stop buying reloading stuff and get another pistol.

freakshow10mm
09-26-2011, 22:54
Never saw the FC 10 before. The NT is "non-tox" and should have a crimped primer. You'll need to swage it or ream it before reloading.

fredj338
09-27-2011, 09:14
I am not even on board w/ Federal brass, seen afar to many fail sooner than later. It's too soft in the critical head area. I load it, but not for high end max stuff.

Beanie-Bean
09-27-2011, 13:32
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Looks like I've got a good collection for the recycle bucket and plan on using the proceeds from that for new components.

_The_Shadow
09-27-2011, 14:27
I have seen many FC cases split on the initial firing...especially when fired from the MP-5 10mm...Although I have reconditioned many of them to reload.

Now the NT brass has a small pistol primer pocket, I am still playing with some of the few I have to work various loads with. I need more if you want to send them to me!
What do you get for them as scrap?

Beanie-Bean
09-27-2011, 17:53
Now the NT brass has a small pistol primer pocket, I am still playing with some of the few I have to work various loads with. I need more if you want to send them to me!
What do you get for them as scrap?

You got it, Shadow--I'll sort the brass and will hold on to those for you. Send me a PM with your info so I know where to mail them.

You did see that those are .40 S&W rounds, not 10mm. The 10mm was the "bonus" round that ended up in my bucket.

I haven't done any sales of the scrap brass yet, but I'll let you know what they're offering when I do finally sell it.

njl
09-27-2011, 20:11
I don't load hot pistol ammo...but I haven't had any complaints with FC 9mm brass.

I just bought several thousand small primer .45acp, which is a mix of Win NT, Speer, and Federal headstamps. All I've done with it so far is tumble some of it. I'm not real good at reading primer pockets for crimp unless it's obvious like several staking marks. Am I going to have to setup the Super Swage for .45acp?

PCJim
09-27-2011, 21:45
I reload FC brass in both 9mm and 40S&W, mid level charges. FWIW, I haven't experienced any problems with them.

Hoser
09-29-2011, 07:38
Federal did a few batches of 40 ammo for Uncle Sam. As long as the primer isn't crimped in, you should be good to go.