Secure room door [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Secure room door

longrangedog
09-27-2011, 19:32
Building a secure room under a detached garage. Poured concrete walls, floor, and ceiling. What type door do I use and where do I get it?

PBCounty
09-27-2011, 20:39
Master Security Door (locations in FL and GA) build the best on the market. A base model will run you about $1,500 for an interior application. That will get you a 4" thick door mounted in a steel frame with six live bolts on opening side and five dead bolts on hinge side. Home Depot is now also selling an Israeli built security door for about $700.00. It's got a three point lock and PVC frame....supposed to be a serious door but I have not seen one in person. They are new to the market here.

PBCounty
09-27-2011, 22:05
I guess I should add that the Master Security Doors (Porte Blindate) are available in wood, steel or fiberglass while the Home Depot option is a fiberglass door.

TangoFoxtrot
09-28-2011, 04:24
Building a secure room under a detached garage. Poured concrete walls, floor, and ceiling. What type door do I use and where do I get it?

Can you explain a little further? Is it a pit under the garage for storage or a safe room for people?

longrangedog
09-28-2011, 15:41
It will be a 12X20 area with 4 reinforced concrete walls and a reinforced concrete ceiling with a concrete floor located under a 32X50 garage. I will equip it to function as a storm shelter and provision it to last several months in case the situation is more serious than a storm. The entire underground area is 20X32. I will use the non secure area as storage.

98LS-WON
09-29-2011, 03:54
Be sure to get hydraulic jack that can lift that door after a lot of debris falls on it or you might get trapped in there.

Dexters
09-29-2011, 06:14
It will be a 12X20 area with 4 reinforced concrete walls and a reinforced concrete ceiling with a concrete floor located under a 32X50 garage. I will equip it to function as a storm shelter and provision it to last several months in case the situation is more serious than a storm. The entire underground area is 20X32. I will use the non secure area as storage.

Will a cell phone work out of that or are you putting in a land line?

Dexters
09-29-2011, 06:16
Be sure to get hydraulic jack that can lift that door after a lot of debris falls on it or you might get trapped in there.

Wouldn't you set it up so the door opens inside?

walkin man
09-29-2011, 11:28
Wouldn't you set it up so the door opens inside?

Sure, go ahead and dump all the debris on your head and in your secure area. You can just get your tactical shovel and dig out.
I'm with the poster that said to put a jack in to raise the door and debris.

walkin man

sebecman
09-29-2011, 11:53
Wait.....Is the door in the floor of the garage above or in an outside wall of the room below?

mj9mm
09-29-2011, 12:12
build your own sliding pocket door.

JDSTG58
09-29-2011, 13:11

2@low8
09-29-2011, 13:13
Friend of mine here in Georgia builds these www.safeathomeusa.com (http://www.safeathomeusa.com)

tell him Eric sent you.

cyrsequipment
09-29-2011, 14:03
Friend of mine here in Georgia builds these www.safeathomeusa.com (http://www.safeathomeusa.com)

tell him Eric sent you.

To heck with the secure room, I want that Gun Room!!!:shocked:

Although, the owner needs a few more guns.

longrangedog
09-29-2011, 14:18
Wait.....Is the door in the floor of the garage above or in an outside wall of the room below?

The door will be in an outside wall of the room below. Thanks for the leads on the door manufacturers. They both look promising.

walkin man
09-29-2011, 14:58
The door will be in an outside wall of the room below. Thanks for the leads on the door manufacturers. They both look promising.

I may be misunderstanding your plans. But if it is to be under the garage won't you have to go down a flight of stairs to reach the door to your underground storage? If that is the case couldn't the stairwell be blocked by debris from the above ground structure. I am thinking in case of tornado damage or fire. If that is the case maybe a flat door through the floor of the garage leading down into the safe area and a secure door into the safe area through the wall.

walkin man

longrangedog
09-29-2011, 17:56
I may be misunderstanding your plans. But if it is to be under the garage won't you have to go down a flight of stairs to reach the door to your underground storage? If that is the case couldn't the stairwell be blocked by debris from the above ground structure. I am thinking in case of tornado damage or fire. If that is the case maybe a flat door through the floor of the garage leading down into the safe area and a secure door into the safe area through the wall.

walkin man
Walk out the front of the garage turn left or right. Go to the back of the building where the basement door is located. The building is built on a slope so that the back is above ground.

walkin man
09-29-2011, 18:33
Walk out the front of the garage turn left or right. Go to the back of the building where the basement door is located. The building is built on a slope so that the back is above ground.

OK: I thought that may be the case but I was still thinkiing about a flat slab and a stairwell. The slope and outside wall takes care of the blocked exit. Good luck with your build.

BTW, I have a steep slope on my land as well and have considered putting in a secure bunker in it as well.

walkin man

longrangedog
09-30-2011, 05:18
OK: I thought that may be the case but I was still thinkiing about a flat slab and a stairwell. The slope and outside wall takes care of the blocked exit. Good luck with your build.

BTW, I have a steep slope on my land as well and have considered putting in a secure bunker in it as well.

walkin man
I've got one quote along with specs this week and will get another today. The specs on the basement are impressive but so is the price. Hopefully the next quote will be lower. Private message me in 3 months if you want some info on what I did.

carbonblack
10-11-2011, 14:34
Read this book http://nukepills.com/docs/nuclear_war_survival_skills.pdf
There is a wealth of knowledge and practical how to regarding just what you have in mind.

Metro566
10-11-2011, 15:29
I saw someones secure room that had a "Fort Knox" safedoor. I don't know if that's the company or just branded on for comedy but it looked like a gunsafe door, just bigger.

Kadetklapp
10-11-2011, 19:19
I guess I should add that the Master Security Doors (Porte Blindate) are available in wood, steel or fiberglass while the Home Depot option is a fiberglass door.

I'd be interested in this if it wasn't a fiberglass deal...

M1A Shooter
10-11-2011, 19:31
interesting idea. i could do the same in my garage as it sounds similar with the slope in the rear. my exit would be about half underground though.

longrangedog
10-28-2011, 18:05
Poured footer and walls so far. Will pour floors Monday. Door being fabricated next week also. So far I'm pleased. I'll post pics as the prolect progresses.

BMH
10-29-2011, 07:33
Way out of my price range. But Liberty Safes make a vault door for $6200.

http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-vault-doors-safes-ps-13.html

longrangedog
11-24-2011, 06:31
50 X 32 ft garage framed, sheathed, roofed. Siding half way done. Wiring done and lights installed. Paint and overhead doors next. 20 X 32 secure room (located under the garage) wired with lights installed. Door being fabricated. Paint for walls and stain for floors ordered. Hole for dehumidifier drain to be drilled. Some concrete work around exterior remains to be done (driveway, walkway, door pads). I'm thinking it will be finished in two weeks.

emt1581
11-24-2011, 18:45
Sturdy Safe door blows EVERYTHING else out of the frickin water!!...less expensive to!

Seriously amazing!

I speak from personal experience. And I was at the same place you are now for the last couple of years. Just compare the design and specs of one against whatever anyone else suggests.

-Emt1581

longrangedog
12-29-2011, 07:22

tell him Eric sent you.

Update: The garage with the 20X32 basement/secure room is finished with the exception of landscaping, final inspection, and vault door. I took Erics advice and contacted Clark Ellard at Safe at Home. Clark has made three visits and taken my 900.00 deposit. I'm having issues with getting a firm timeline on when I can expect delivery/installation but suspect they are holiday related and that I won't be disappointed. I'll post pics after the door is in.

2@low8
12-29-2011, 08:22
Update: The garage with the 20X32 basement/secure room is finished with the exception of landscaping, final inspection, and vault door. I took Erics advice and contacted Clark Ellard at Safe at Home. Clark has made three visits and taken my 900.00 deposit. I'm having issues with getting a firm timeline on when I can expect delivery/installation but suspect they are holiday related and that I won't be disappointed. I'll post pics after the door is in.

let me know if I need to "hurry" him along. I'll give him a call.

leadcounsel
01-17-2012, 01:23
The problem with investing too much in your house to make it a castle, is that ancient civilizations learned how to defeat castles...

Fire.
Disease.
Cannons.

One malatov cocktail could turn your $30,000 safe room into a coffin.

pugman
01-17-2012, 06:56
The problem with investing too much in your house to make it a castle, is that ancient civilizations learned how to defeat castles...

Fire.
Disease.
Cannons.

Not that this would be a problem for a castle, but if 3 of the last 4 summers have been any indication flooding sure would be a concern for me..

racerford
01-17-2012, 09:27

Fire.
Disease.
Cannons.

The purpose is not to make you home inpenetrable to a seige. It is to make your home a less desirable target than you neighbors'. In normal times to give you time to prepare a defense, or the police to come. In less stable times to make the cost of taking your home too great to not move on to an easier target.

You do not have to outrun the bear, you have to outrun the other prey near you.

leadcounsel
01-22-2012, 21:28
The purpose is not to make you home inpenetrable to a seige. It is to make your home a less desirable target than you neighbors'. In normal times to give you time to prepare a defense, or the police to come. In less stable times to make the cost of taking your home too great to not move on to an easier target.

You do not have to outrun the bear, you have to outrun the other prey near you.

Aahh, but if you can't easily be "seiged" out, you can be smoked out or just burned alive with all your goodies inside...

RWBlue
01-22-2012, 22:57
Aahh, but if you can't easily be "seiged" out, you can be smoked out or just burned alive with all your goodies inside...

It depends on if others know you have something they want.
Then it depends on your setup.

Hopefully you can withstand the first attack, then eliminate them so there is no prepared second attack.

Powermwt
01-22-2012, 23:11
http://images.builderhouseplans.com/common/plans/images/DTA0/DTA042/DTA042-FR-RE-CO-MD.JPG

How about a norman home 4 stories high with an inner courtyard. :cool:

longrangedog is way ahead of the game with a place somewhat safe. Very few places are truly free from some sort of attack, be that bullets, bombs or a simple can of gas poured on your hiding place... but if you cannot outrun the problem then it is better protection against theft than stacking your stuff in a garage, and a little bit better than most body armor against bullets.

racerford
01-23-2012, 09:17

What would the purpose of burning you ouot, when it would destroy the supplies they want?
We do not live in medieval times. Rates of fire of a modern weapon far exceed the long bow. All my weapons have a range that exceeds a molatov cocktail. I suppose they could bring a catapult. Is that where you think things will go? A modern home can easily have an exterior that is essentially fire proof to normal fire attacks.

Would you rather be in an open field with no cover for 500 yards and no concealment for 150 yards, or in a home with concrete walls that will stop a 50 BMG AP?

Do you really think that there will be armies laying seige to homes? Why would a group expend many lives against a single home when there would be hundreds of softer targets with supplies? What would they gain? It would be different if it were the home of a rival warlord who was encroaching on their turf. If that is who you are, I am sure you would have defenders is any nearby homes that would cause a great deal of grief before they get to you.

The purpose is not to make a home army proof, but home invasion resistant, and storm safe.

RWBlue
01-23-2012, 13:15
http://images.builderhouseplans.com/common/plans/images/DTA0/DTA042/DTA042-FR-RE-CO-MD.JPG

How about a norman home 4 stories high with an inner courtyard. :cool:

Funny, I read that as "normal" and was thinking "normal" I would like to have that.

It does remind me of the homes in old MX. That are designed to withstand robbers and provide an inner courtyard that is cooler in summer and warmer in winter. I like the design.

FAS1
01-23-2012, 13:40
Funny, I read that as "normal" and was thinking "normal" I would like to have that.

It does remind me of the homes in old MX. That are designed to withstand robbers and provide an inner courtyard that is cooler in summer and warmer in winter. I like the design.

Pretty much like the homes in Mexico and they seem to be relatively secure with a concrete wall perimeter and broken glass on the top edge of the walls of the courtyards.