Base Layers... Good Brands, Bad Brands, etc. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Base Layers... Good Brands, Bad Brands, etc.

skippz
09-27-2011, 20:23
I was needing some input on base layer clothing... I had always wore regular long johns but recently I've been taking up more bowhunting and stand hunting in general and this year I'd like to get something a little (well a lot) better. I've tried the cold gear fabric... and although it does seem to wick moisture and do a good job of keeping you warm, it itches me and chafes me to death. So I need some professional opinions on here of what you guys use...
Thanks for any input as it will keep my butt warmer this season.

Zombie Steve
09-27-2011, 21:11
I only have experience with Duofold... mostly with snowboarding. Not the most expensive, not the cheapest. I've had two pairs of mid-weights and one pair of expedition weight. I have no complaints.

You'll probably want expedition weight if you're sitting still.

Hopefully some other folks will chime in soon.

ruffhunter
09-28-2011, 06:25
I've always wore Duofolds, same weights as Zombie Steve. The mid weight is a two layer with I think 45% wool blend. I wear that under the expeditionweight of my uniform and therfore dont need a coat. I also stand hunt all day and it works. Thermostat used to be good stuff. Check cabelas for best varieties. I wouldn't own any Cold gear crap. everyone I know that has it, has froze their butts off at work.

quinnt
09-28-2011, 13:52
Cant go wrong with underarmor

308endurdebate
09-28-2011, 16:34
Cabelas brand is pretty good.

skippz
09-28-2011, 20:14
That ECWCS stuff any good??? It seems reasonably priced for the polar weight...