What your biggest fears as a cop? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What your biggest fears as a cop?

mixflip
09-27-2011, 20:35
There are lots of things that can go wrong on the job.

Lately, the thought of responding to a MWAG/active shooter and shooting someone who actually is not the suspect (i.e CCW citizen, off duty officer who is also responding) has been weighing heavy on my mind for some reason.

Probably has something to do with pulling over undercover officers who were tailing biker gangs. (it happened more than once)

What are some of your fears?

FM12
09-27-2011, 20:36
Heart attack

packsaddle
09-27-2011, 20:37
ambush.

Wil Ufgood
09-27-2011, 20:38
Since getting promoted, splinters in my ass :crying:

Agent6-3/8
09-27-2011, 20:53
With good tactics and training one can minimize the risks of many situations, but there is only so much you can do. The rest boils down to luck, incompetence of the BG and the grace of God.

#1 in my mind is being ambushed. I used to work a mountainous, rural area where avenues of approach were typically very limited. The danger of ambush was always present in my mind, especially on domestics.

The split second when you make initial contact on a traffic stop or passing through the funnel of death while serving a warrant, etc also come to mind as places where things can go bad even if you do everything right.

mixflip
09-27-2011, 21:11
Ambush is high on my list also.

With the recent ihop massacre in Carson City and the 4 officers killed in that coffee shop in Washington not too long ago... ambush is definately something that keeps my head on a swivel.

It still bothers me that not one person in that Nevada ihop had a concealed weapon? I mean c'mon its Nevada not california or NYC!!!

Agent6-3/8
09-27-2011, 21:20
It still bothers me that not one person in that Nevada ihop had a concealed weapon? I mean c'mon its Nevada not california or NYC!!!

Kinda OT, but I'm sure someone did, but they weren't carrying. JMO, but I'd hazard a guess that less than 25% of CCW holders actual have a weapon on their person when out and about. I'd say no more than 10% carry all the time.

Same numbers could be said for off-duty cops as well in my experience...:upeyes:

CAcop
09-27-2011, 21:22
Being second guessed on a regular basis by people with less time on the street than my underwear. Oh, wait...

BigLaw
09-27-2011, 21:24
Ambush is way up there. The incident in Buchanan Co VA woke me up big time. I am 15 minutes from Buchanan, and it really makes you think. About 6 yrs ago a snitch told me some punks up a remote hollow were planning to call in a fight in progress or something similar and have trees cut ready to drop in front and behind me. Their buddies were going to be ready with rifles and take me out. I had recently busted several guys that were tied to a pretty big name in the area so all the turds were freaking out. I eventually got the names of the guys out of the informant and we paid them all a visit. Luckily nothing ever happened but I wear my spotlight out looking in the hills if I get a complaint on that road.

I also have weird dreams that I have to use my gun but either I can't hit them or the rounds don't affect them. Sometimes its like in slow motion and I can see the bullets go around them like in the Matrix or something.

Sam Spade
09-27-2011, 21:28
Putting one of my guys too deep into the suck. Or not having trained them for something.

Wil Ufgood
09-27-2011, 21:30
I also have weird dreams that I have to use my gun but either I can't hit them or the rounds don't affect them. Sometimes its like in slow motion and I can see the bullets go around them like in the Matrix or something.

That's funny I had similar dreams for years, i wonder if that's a common thing with gun toters.

collim1
09-27-2011, 21:37

razdog76
09-27-2011, 21:51
Management.

blueiron
09-27-2011, 21:52
Administrators that won't retire or die in office.

M1Garand
09-27-2011, 21:53
Pull the trigger and nothing happened.....

razdog76
09-27-2011, 21:56

You cannot out-train them, cannot anticipate who they are going to back stab or why, just wait your turn to get jammed up for no good reason.

Detectorist
09-27-2011, 21:58
Since getting promoted, splinters in my ass :crying:

:rofl:

You should file for disability. :cool:

Detectorist
09-27-2011, 21:59
Ambush is way up there. The incident in Buchanan Co VA woke me up big time. I am 15 minutes from Buchanan, and it really makes you think. About 6 yrs ago a snitch told me some punks up a remote hollow were planning to call in a fight in progress or something similar and have trees cut ready to drop in front and behind me. Their buddies were going to be ready with rifles and take me out. I had recently busted several guys that were tied to a pretty big name in the area so all the turds were freaking out. I eventually got the names of the guys out of the informant and we paid them all a visit. Luckily nothing ever happened but I wear my spotlight out looking in the hills if I get a complaint on that road.

I'm glad you're ok. How does it work, do you compensate the snitch somehow?

Tilley
09-27-2011, 22:42
3. Getting sucked into the politics.

2. Being complacent.

1. Having to walk away from it all someday.

Ajon412
09-27-2011, 23:04
Internally...This

Management.

..and this

Administrators that won't retire or die in office......specifically, inept ones.....:steamed:

An ambush or active shooter incident, either on or off duty.......

wprebeck
09-28-2011, 00:12
Liability oriented admin types who just know you're dirty, and will do their best to **** up your life if you're involved in a use of force..., orworse, a critical incident

I'm working off duty right now, and the the thought that I may be required to shoot someone scares the crap outta me. I mean, I'm confident in my abilities and training to handle the threat successfully, but scared to death that I'll be fired and/or prosecuted. Already been one politically motivated prosecution of a good shoot here.....who's next, ya know?

Trigger Finger
09-28-2011, 00:52
Sounds funny but my biggest fear working 77th Division for the first several years was being taken prisoner by a group of ex-cons.
My training officers (both of them ex-military and served in Viet Nam) would drill it into recruits heads that if you were taken prisoner the ex-cons would make you their sex toy for a couple days before they would cut your testicles off and slit your throat!! :wow:

This was just after the Onion Field incident happened on my department and a detective was found with his throat cut in Watts.

Talk about waking up squealing like a pig!!

Sharky7
09-28-2011, 01:37
Biggest worry is about the d-bag boss I have. He likes to "spin" stories and is very emotionally charged.

When dealing with bad guys, I worry about making sure to react in time. A few seconds too late can cost you your life, but of course you don't want to shoot someone as they are quickly drawing a cell phone from their pocket and ignoring you just because they are pompous/idiotic a-holes..

Had a panic residential alarm call at a home one time. I arrived within seconds of getting dispatched and see a male in his 40's literally throwing kids in a car and trying to leave quickly. I call to him to stop and step over to me and he basically ignores me. I got between him and the car and told him to take a seat on the ground and informed him I had an alarm call here. He tries to side step me and I end up pushing him back by the chest. I again tell him to stop and take a seat. He then gets really angry and starts reaching into his inside jacket pocket, I draw down on him and start taking cover behind the car and yelling at him to stop. He then flings his wallet at me in the air and tells me to look at his license and he lives here. We had been to that house a bunch in the last few years for domestics, never saw this guy before, he must have been a new boyfriend. He never knew how close he got to having a few new holes that he didn't have at birth.

It's tough - you want to do the right thing. I don't think any of us have a problem shooting someone who needs to be shot. We have way too many idiots who push the limits in society trying to provoke and antagonize....even up to the point of deadly force. Kwikrnu is one of them.

lloydchristmas
09-28-2011, 03:16
Retaliation against my family.

p.d.
09-28-2011, 05:13
Attending another funeral for one of ours. We can pretty much work around everything else.

WFBont7
09-28-2011, 05:23
Chris Christie taking more of my pension.

The escalating attitude of "I don't give a crap" against the police. Seems like everybody wants to fight, shoot at or argue anymore. Seeing more and more guns in the hands of the bad guys. Just waiting for them to start shooting at us instead of other gang bangers.

Panzergrenadier1979
09-28-2011, 05:51
Getting rear-ended in my Crown Vic, while on a traffic stop, and it explodes while I'm stuck inside.

DaBigBR
09-28-2011, 08:38
Admin. Period.

msu_grad_121
09-28-2011, 11:53

This. I used to have God awful dreams about either 1) the hammer not dropping as I squeeze the living crap outta the trigger on a good shoot, or 2) the rounds having zero effect. Used to freak out my ex girlfriend, cuz I would wake up in a sweat.

My biggest has to be getting a phone call that one of my close friends was killed. Strangely, the active shooter thing doesn't cause me much fear, at least, not yet. When it breaks off, that's a different story, obviously.

Morris
09-28-2011, 11:59
Seeing a nekkid three legged midget.

Hmm . . . scratch that. He said it was a third leg and brudda, I wasn't about to pull it to find out.

Vigilant
09-28-2011, 12:42
An angry woman with a gun.

razdog76
09-28-2011, 12:52
An angry woman with a gun.

Don't you work in a male correctional facility?:supergrin:

Morris
09-28-2011, 14:46
An angry woman with a gun

Ahhhhh! My sister-in-law, then?

Lt Scott 14
09-28-2011, 15:48
How about an angry woman with a frying pan behind you while you cuff n stuff her old man for Domestic Battery? Or drunk grandma with one of grandpa's old WW2 grenades threatening to do in the trailer park? Running signal 10(lights and sirens) to a 'shots fired" and after clearing the intersection, due regard for traffic, woman steps off the curb w/ baby in arms and strolls between the parked cars?
Lady with baby has her Ipod cranked up on high.

Vigilant
09-28-2011, 23:43
How about an angry woman with a frying pan behind you while you cuff n stuff her old man for Domestic Battery? Or drunk grandma with one of grandpa's old WW2 grenades threatening to do in the trailer park? Running signal 10(lights and sirens) to a 'shots fired" and after clearing the intersection, due regard for traffic, woman steps off the curb w/ baby in arms and strolls between the parked cars?
Lady with baby has her Ipod cranked up on high.

Translation: "I'll see your angry woman with a gun, and raise you....." :supergrin:

Vigilant
09-28-2011, 23:46
Don't you work in a male correctional facility?:supergrin:

As you know, we have to transport 'em now and then for various reasons. Stuff happens.

Also, inside the fence, it's a well-known fact that one of the most potentially dangerous inmates is one who has just been separated from his punk. That could be right on up there with my original thought. Or worse.

Kahr_Glockman
09-29-2011, 01:08
Carnies, circus folk, small hands, smell of cabbage.

blueiron
09-29-2011, 02:00
1. Having to walk away from it all someday.

That was the best thing that ever happened to me.

If you don't have a plan now, you are going to be a psychological wreck if you go out normally, much less a medical. Get yourself sorted out because unless you are killed on the job or drop dead, it will happen.

razdog76
09-29-2011, 07:51
As you know, we have to transport 'em now and then for various reasons. Stuff happens.

Also, inside the fence, it's a well-known fact that one of the most potentially dangerous inmates is one who has just been separated from his punk. That could be right on up there with my original thought. Or worse.

Good answer, I did transports for a while too.:supergrin:

AngryBassets
09-29-2011, 08:45

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn192/TacticalFats/Forum/jump.gif

Amen....amen. :crying: At least I made the 20 year cut off.

glockurai
09-29-2011, 09:12
I'd say ambush and exposure to blood.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

John Rambo
09-29-2011, 11:47
That's funny I had similar dreams for years, i wonder if that's a common thing with gun toters.

Yes, but not because they're gun toters. It signifies feelings of inadequacy, inferority complex, or performance anxiety. When you're feeling sure of yourself your bullets will take out giants in your dream. They're nothing more than a projection of yourself.

Good info, by the way, guys.

Vigilant
09-29-2011, 13:11
Ahhhhh! My sister-in-law, then?

I'm trying SO hard NOT to make a smart remark about somebody's momma..... :rofl:

But I won't. I won't.... :supergrin:

Morris
09-29-2011, 13:37
Sister-in-law is fair game.

Trust me.

msu_grad_121
09-29-2011, 13:46
...performance anxiety.

I'm REALLY trying not to take that into the gutter. :supergrin:

It's funny that you bring tha up, since it occurred to me that I only had those dreams when I was carrying a weapon I wasn't comfortable or confident with (H&K USP 45 in downright stupid trim). As soon as I started carrying th Glock, the dreams disappeared.

Yay for edu-ma-cation, huh? :rofl:

nikerret
09-29-2011, 22:17

That's not a snitch; that's a life saver. Good on him.

This. I used to have God awful dreams about either 1) the hammer not dropping as I squeeze the living crap outta the trigger on a good shoot, or 2) the rounds having zero effect. Used to freak out my ex girlfriend, cuz I would wake up in a sweat.

I just got out of bed to get ready for midnight shift. I went to bed around 1400. I didn't realize I had fallen asleep and was having a dream I was laying in my bed trying to lepp. I heard someone kick in my front door and come running down the hall toward my room. I grabbed the Sig from under the passenger pillow and moved behind the door just as it was kicked open. I tried to fire and couldn't pull the trigger. When I finally did get the trigger back, the bullets all missed their mark. I remembered our firearms instructor reminding me to focus on the front sight. I woke up after getting a few ineffective shots off; freaked out. It was 1430.

I'd never had a dream I was awake in bed trying to sleep before. Very weird.

When I got back to sleep, I had another dream where I was having firearm issues. I don't remember the specifics of that dream. I was awoken around 1800 when my phone rang.

After that, I got some decent sleep.

I've had dreams involving life threatening scenarios and being equiped with a firearm I actually own, at the time, since I've owned one. Their frequency increased after I started applying at LE agencies. They seem to come in spurts.

Firearm issues include (in order of frequency): trigger too heavy, can't hit target, bullets ineffective after hitting mark, bullets falling out of end of barrel, running out of ammo after no shots and reloads with full mags.

BG's are usually people I can't make out, such as dark figures. Sometimes, the BG is a monster that is not human, but has all the best human qualities for killing me. When the people are recognizable (facial features), they have never been anyone I know.

We've had threads on this in the past, it seems they are quite common.

nikerret
09-29-2011, 22:18
My greatest fear is getting hung out to dry by having to work with cowards who refuse to be on a scene that isn't already firefighter safe; then, being hung out to dry by admin after the fact.

ArmaGlock
09-30-2011, 03:16
My son growing up without a dad and leaving my wife alone. Two reasons I will train on my own time and money and always fight to win.

Kadetklapp
09-30-2011, 07:12
In order-

1. Being sued

2. Being accused of wrongdoing

3. Political pressure to do the wrong thing

4. Leaving my wife behind if something goes stupid wrong.

Sippo
09-30-2011, 09:42
OP, I walk among convicted penitentiary felons all day unarmed. Way ahead of training and situational awareness, I suggest you be sure to make peace with GOD and his prevailing protection. We all need it, and He watches your "6" better than any other partner

4949shooter
09-30-2011, 09:50

This.

On another note, when we carried the H&K P7M8 I used to get the "thousand pound grip cocker" dream. When we switched to the Sig my dream changed to the "thousand pound trigger" dream. When I made sergeant and spent less time on the road the dreams eventually subsided.

Vigilant
09-30-2011, 10:04
OP, I walk among convicted penitentiary felons all day unarmed. Way ahead of training and situational awareness, I suggest you be sure to make peace with GOD and his prevailing protection. We all need it, and He watches your "6" better than any other partner

Amen. :thumbsup:

PROSOUTH
09-30-2011, 13:44
the sudden stop at the end

Defender77
09-30-2011, 14:39
One of my fears is being addressed right now, with an application for an Umbrella insurance policy.

$1 million

ClydeG19
10-18-2011, 23:43
Just saw this thread...I would think that retaliation against my family would be my biggest fear. I'd go full Dexter in that case, but that's beside the point. A lot of the common fears can be limited with proper tactics and preparation in the form of training. However sometimes you can do everything right and still get sued, shot, killed, partner killed, etc.

Kadetklapp
10-19-2011, 07:34
Just saw this thread...I would think that retaliation against my family would be my biggest fear. I'd go full Dexter in that case, but that's beside the point. A lot of the common fears can be limited with proper tactics and preparation in the form of training. However sometimes you can do everything right and still get sued, shot, killed, partner killed, etc.

While it is certainly on the uprise, reprisal against officers and their families, it's still pretty rare.

My dad was a town marshal in a small town. We were always getting threats. A couple of years at Halloween our house got soaped and egged. One year we got paint balled. But one time we came home and our house had been B&E'd. They didn't take anything, not even my dad's guns. But we knew who it was, a punk my dad had been running up against in town, who dad had run before the juvenile judge several times. We never were able to prove it, but we knew it was him.

The stuff does happen....I think more so where there is gang activity or where you are policing rural/small towns.

Bullman
10-19-2011, 20:00

Not too far from Buchanan County myself. All our tac guys went to a school on rural ambush training.

But what I really worry about is my poor career moves, will I be the oldest patrol deputy in SW Virginia by the time I reach retirement age or will something nice in Civil open up for me.

kpuscg04
10-19-2011, 20:13
1) Not reacting fast or aggresive enough and getting a fellow officer injured or worse because of that.

2) I work plain clothes, I am always concerned about being mistaken for for a suspect should I ever respond to an active shooter...

Agent6-3/8
10-19-2011, 21:32
Beyond all the crap than can happen when you do everything right is getting hemmed up in someone else's mess. Truely my biggest fear at this point is finally getting back into LE only to find I'm back with a department/coworkers that have a warped sense of right and wrong and that make up the rules as they go. Once that demon is put to rest I'll start worrying about being ambushed, having my family attacked, etc.

Its a damn sad commentary that we have to worry more about our own departments than we do the turds on the street. I swear to god sometimes it makes you want to get a job on the trash truck... :shakehead:

PROSOUTH
10-20-2011, 07:46
. Truly my biggest fear at this point is I'm back with a department/coworkers that have a warped sense of right and wrong and that make up the rules as they go. Its a damn sad commentary that we have to worry more about our own departments than we do the turds on the street. I swear to god sometimes it makes you want to get a job on the trash truck... :shakehead:

I feel your pain, as I'm sure many of us here do.

I was reading this thread again and was thinking that most officers today are afraid to react to incidents in a proper manner because of fear of their own department not backing them in their actions. This all because of the Monday morning quarterbacks, political appeasement, racial tensions or just the usual media attack to make headline news.

The bad part of all this is that these mentalities may be responsible for deaths of our officers due to their hesitation of response to the offender's actions. This because we are not responding properly to a gun etc because the mentality of the public or department's liabilities has them thinking that we are supposed to have the incident on film portraying the subject in motion of pulling the trigger, make correct calculations as to weather the subject is going to shoot or not and that for some reason TV News portrays proper SOP to be that we attempt to talk the POS-SOB out of this all the while he is pointing a gun at us prior to our proper response.

I wonder how many of us have died, not from the hesitation of fear of pulling the trigger but fear of the Departments support of our actions and or the innuendo of don't shoot until you are shot at like they portray on TV being proper response............................... :dunno:

Like I said, I feel your pain :steamed:

cowboywannabe
10-20-2011, 08:17
comp-stat meetings.

Agent6-3/8
10-20-2011, 09:35
I feel your pain, as I'm sure many of us here do.

I was reading this thread again and was thinking that most officers today are afraid to react to incidents in a proper manner because of fear of their own department not backing them in their actions. This all because of the Monday morning quarterbacks, political appeasement, racial tensions or just the usual media attack to make headline news.

The bad part of all this is that these mentalities may be responsible for deaths of our officers due to their hesitation of response to the offender's actions. This because we are not responding properly to a gun etc because the mentality of the public or department's liabilities has them thinking that we are supposed to have the incident on film portraying the subject in motion of pulling the trigger, make correct calculations as to weather the subject is going to shoot or not and that for some reason TV News portrays proper SOP to be that we attempt to talk the POS-SOB out of this all the while he is pointing a gun at us prior to our proper response.

I wonder how many of us have died, not from the hesitation of fear of pulling the trigger but fear of the Departments support of our actions and or the innuendo of don't shoot until you are shot at like they portray on TV being proper response............................... :dunno:

Like I said, I feel your pain :steamed:

Such things always make me think of Kyle Dinkheller. His death was most certainly a product of this mentality... :sad:

OfficerChris
10-20-2011, 10:12

-> officer from Austria/europe

same kind of dream, and talked to another officer a couple of days ago.. also same dream.

definitely a police thing

PROSOUTH
10-20-2011, 14:54
Such things always make me think of Kyle Dinkheller. His death was most certainly a product of this mentality... :sad:

:crying:, that was the exact incident I was thinking of when I wrote the above post. That incident is the poster child for us all to realize that we are in a sinking boat and can't swim for fear of drowning.

bccop
10-20-2011, 21:46
comp-stat meetings.

No kidding. I've had to go to enough of those meetings as an acting supervisor. I have no interest in getting promoted and dealing with more meetings and HR related issues.

3000fps
10-21-2011, 15:51

It's performance anxiety. If you're having nightmares, or bad dreams about it, that's a good thing.

An officer that didn't care about his training and skill wouldn't have those reservations.