Gun Rights Policy Conference [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun Rights Policy Conference

Bob45acp
09-27-2011, 21:50
I just attended the Gun Rights Policy conference in the anti gun city of Chicago this past weekend. While there, I experience some very highly energetic and organized supporters of the 2nd Amendment. Most notably, Alan Gura, lead counsel in the McDonald vs. City of Chicago Supreme Court decision. Very powerful and the Second Amendment Foundation, in my opnion is one of the top 2 organizations actually getting things done to advance the 2nd amendment.

I captured some excellent audio interviews while there, so if you weren't able to make it, let me invite you to listen to part of it here, www.handgunworld.com

Mark your calendar for the next one in Orlando, next September, details to follow later.

Gunnut 45/454
09-28-2011, 07:39
Bob
Not to rain on your parade ,but lets put this where it needs to be. We do not need conferences. What we need is the SCOTUS to define "Shall not be Infringed". Then this anti gun BS will end once and for all! Cause we all know what the definition is! The question you need to ask Gura when you see him next is why haven't they wanted the SCOTUS to rule on that? I know the answer - NRA will go away if and when thats done -think about it!:whistling:

Bob45acp
09-28-2011, 10:42
Alan Gura answered this at the conference because your comment was brought up by someone else. This is why we do need conferences because these open discussions take place there. Gura's explanation in short was "one step at a time." The McDonald case was actually a Huge step in the right direction. Major gun rights battles cannot be won overnight and there's a very specific process that needs to followed to win in the Supreme Court and in lower courts. Gura and the SAF have an excellent plan and guess what? They are winning! It has nothing to do with the NRA. In fact the NRA also offers the benefit of training which is how they got their start. There are numerous lawsuits Gura and the SAF are working on right now Be patient we will get closer to "shall not be infringed" sooner than you might think. This is exactly what is discussed at conferences such as these. I wish you could have been there, but for those interested, my latest podcast contains some audio of what was discussed.

RGbiker
09-28-2011, 12:21
....I would go one step further..... Why have a Gun Rights Conference in a city that refuses to allow citizens to own/carry a handgun?

Hotel/conference room fees, food, fuel expenses of conference attendants spent in an anti-gun city?

Not good planning, IMHO.

Bob45acp
09-28-2011, 13:11
I disagree. Why not hold it in Chicago? We were able to show them that gun owners are usually very civil and law abiding citizens. And we can peacefully assemble and advance our rights, in their (anti gun) territory. That speaks loudly. After all, Otis McDonald (McDonald vs Chicago) is from Chicago. That's where his complaint was. And it resulted in a major Supreme Court victory for gun rights! Last year it was held in San Francisco. Maybe there is a strategy that works, here? Why not go into enemy territory if you eventually want to defeat them? Obviously the 2nd Amendment Foundation has been very successful lately, so I don't think their choice of venue hurts their cause. By the way, I don't represent them in any way.

RGbiker
09-28-2011, 14:14
Since last year conference, has San Francisco issued one more CCW permit?

Will Chicago now allow second amendment rights to city residents?

"CASH" is king in this down economy. Threatening to NOT hold a large conference in an anti-gun city will get their attention.

Berto
09-28-2011, 14:23
Since last year conference, has San Francisco issued one more CCW permit?

Will Chicago now allow second amendment rights to city residents?

"CASH" is king in this down economy. Threatening to NOT hold a large conference in an anti-gun city will get their attention.

IMO, that is nonsense.
The most certain way to empower people and generate any grass roots movement is to show them they have a voice, that people with the same viewpoint exist in their locale.
The City of Chicago could give two ****s about an insignificant revenue, but agitated voters will make waves and threaten political futures.

Bob45acp
09-28-2011, 16:15
Absolutely correct berto

Chicago's handgun ban was overturned as a result of the SAF's work. If people want to argue with their success go ahead. I think the joke will be on those who argue and nitpick an organization helping gun owners in a big
way!

So RGbiker, what would you have done differently?

RGbiker
09-28-2011, 16:28
Absolutely correct berto

Chicago's handgun ban was overturned as a result of the SAF's work. If people want to argue with their success go ahead. I think the joke will be on those who argue and nitpick an organization helping gun owners in a big
way!

So RGbiker, what would you have done differently?

As I legally CC/OC with AZCCW permit which is recognized in 38 states but is not valid in the state of Illinois I would not attend the conference.

But, then I'm in Arizona where CC and OC of handguns is as common as wearing shoes.

Good luck with your efforts in Chicago. Like DC, Chicago city fathers will be dragging their feet to comply.

RGbiker
09-28-2011, 16:34
IMO, that is nonsense.
The most certain way to empower people and generate any grass roots movement is to show them they have a voice, that people with the same viewpoint exist in their locale.
The City of Chicago could give two ****s about an insignificant revenue, but agitated voters will make waves and threaten political futures.

Agitated voters in Chicago, where the dead often vote for repeat corrupt officals? ...:rofl:

Cue me when Chicago allows legal CC, when Illinois goes "Shall Issue".

IMHO, your efforts could be more usefull in Texas and Florida where state officials are undecided about legal Open Carry.

TexasFats
09-28-2011, 16:38
It doesn't matter how well-behaved gun owners are at the conference in Chicago. The ban there has nothing to do with crime, accidents, or anything else, rhetoric to the contrary notwithstanding. The bans there are about keeping the peasants in their place--unarmed and defenseless. Anybody who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. Weapons control laws were about that even before there were guns.

Bob45acp
09-28-2011, 16:50
Well you are correct but guess what? The ban has been overturned and so has the ban on gun ranges. Who would have thought Wisconsin would be a shall issue state? On Nov 1, 2011 they will be. Progress is being made. We're winning.

Bob45acp
09-28-2011, 16:53
Agitated voters in Chicago, where the dead often vote for repeat corrupt officals? ...:rofl:

Cue me when Chicago allows legal CC, when Illinois goes "Shall Issue".

IMHO, your efforts could be more usefull in Texas and Florida where state officials are undecided about legal Open Carry.

Next year it's in Orlando so you will have your wish. Will you be there to help out?

RGbiker
09-28-2011, 17:12
Next year it's in Orlando so you will have your wish. Will you be there to help out?

Wish I could help out, but as a life member of AZCDL we are still doing damage control over the Giffords shooting.

A new round of pro gun bills are being drafted as we speak, with College campus concealed carry with AZCCW permit in the forefront.

Some "fine tuning" with Restaurant CC is in the works.

Best of luck in your up coming efforts in Orlando. I lived in South Florida when CC/OC was the norm.

Jerry
09-28-2011, 18:36
I don’t believe gun conferences or any gun related event should be hosted in anti gun cities. They should be avoided like the plague, i.e. boycotted by all good gun owners and organizations. When are the movers and shakers in the gun community going to understand that “those people” don’t care how good gun owners are? All they want in to take our right and the only way to win is through the courts and elections. Until a city proves it is gun friendly gun related events should stay away. Not only should they stay away, they should send a spreadsheet of how much money was spent in gun friendly cities to the mayor, chamber of congress and the tourist commission of every anty gun city after every event that is hosted in other cities. This is how much money your anti gun ways have cost your city.

:director: Reward the gun friend cities/states and punish the antis.