Winchester PDX-1 .38 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Winchester PDX-1 .38

Andy W
09-28-2011, 16:25
Mas, I might be purchasing a Smith & Wesson 442 in the near future and I was wondering what you thought of the Winchester PDX-1 130gr .38+p for use in this weapon? I've seen denim tests where it has performed poorly but I know nothing of actual street results. I know the best load for a .38 snub is probably the Speer short-barrel Gold Dot but, unfortunately, they seem to be really hard to find right now. However, Winchester PDX-1 is widely available. I believe a lot of local stores also stock 125 grain+P Remington Golden Sabers in .38 special.

Mas Ayoob
09-29-2011, 22:26
Andy, I've run across only one verifiable report of a shooting with the PDX .38. It worked well in that incident. However, one shooting does not a track record make, and as you've noted, the Gold Dot 135 grain +P short barrel load DOES have a splendid track record in snub-nose .38s.

If you can't find it locally, call ProArms at 386 364 GUNS. I know for a fact they have that particular Gold Dot load in stock, and also have a UPS station next door for immediate shipping. I hang with the ProArms folks and shoot with their pistol team, and can vouch that they'll take good care of you.

best,
Mas

Andy W
09-30-2011, 11:54
Thanks mas. I will check that out.

Also, if you will permit me to ask another question, how do you think the old FBI load, especially as loaded by Remington and Federal, stack up against more modern .38 defensive loads? Are there enough people still using it for it's track record to be compared with more modern loads?

Mas Ayoob
09-30-2011, 21:07
However popularity waxes and wanes, what was proven effective will always have been proven effective. While the 135 grain Gold Dot +P is my default load these days for .38 snubs, the 158 grain FBI load -- particularly with the softer lead in the Remington version -- was and is a damn good round. I have a substantial quantity of the Remington lead semi-wadcutter hollow point +P .38 Special on hand, and would be happy to load it in any Airweight or heavier .38 snub.

best,
Mas