Little help for a newb [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Little help for a newb

09-28-2011, 23:09
I am about to order a Lee 4 Hole Turret Press w/ Auto Index kit from Midway. I chose this kit because it seems to have pretty good reviews and a very good price.

Besides dies, what else do I need to order to load 9mm?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Zombie Steve
09-28-2011, 23:44
Powder, brass, primers, bullets, calipers, scale (if it doesn't come in your kit), tumbler, media, a few reloading manuals and some thick skin for when Jack and Fred chime in this thread. :supergrin:

freakshow10mm
09-29-2011, 00:00
Check with Kempf's Gunshop (.com) first and compare prices versus Midway.

I like Midway and their spirit of business, but Kempf's was the #1 place for the Lee Classic Turret press kit. It's $200 plus shipping.

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=26&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

Boxerglocker
09-29-2011, 01:46
Get the classic kit from Kempfs best deal around the net.

Colorado4Wheel
09-29-2011, 06:50
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1027887

That should answer the majority of your questions.

ColoCG
09-29-2011, 10:24
As others have said, get the Lee Classic Turret press kit from Kempf. It costs a little more but is a much better press. It includes a set of dies, the Lee Safety Prime, and can be upgraded if you choose. You will be much happier.

jeffreybehr
09-29-2011, 11:27
For the press alone, Natchez is $14 less expensive than Kempf's. You might look for the Classic kit there.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=LE&prodID=LEE90064&prodTitle=Lee Classic Turret Press

Colorado4Wheel
09-29-2011, 12:23
For the press alone, Natchez is $14 less expensive than Kempf's. You might look for the Classic kit there.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=LE&prodID=LEE90064&prodTitle=Lee Classic Turret Press

I didn't see Carbide Die sets from Lee on the site. You also don't get the MtM boxes like you do from Kempfs. With the free boxes the price is pretty much even.

noylj
10-02-2011, 23:37
Dear Posters: The question was what else does he NEED.
Expendables: cases (not really expendable, per se), bullets, primers, powder.
At least two manuals. In your case, probably Richard Lee's Reloading Manual and any of:
Lyman #49/ Hornady 8th/Speer/Sierra. If you like a certain company's bullets, buy their manual.
The powder companies have a lot of load data on the 'net.
Recommend you get the Lee Classic Turret.
Buy a Lee die set (generally the four die set). This will give you the dies you need, a shell holder, a dipper, and die instructions with load data for use of the dipper.
With just the dipper and the load data, you can find a weight of bullet and a powder that can use the dipper to create perfectly safe starting loads.
You will, however, WANT to get a balance (beam or digital). You can buy a $10 powder trickler and the dipper and, with the balance, get the "exact" weight of powder you want.
For bulk loading, you will WANT a powder measure. With the turret and auto-indexing, you can use Lee's Pro Auto-Disk powder measure or get the Hornady, Dillon, or RCBS powder measure with case-activated linkage and powder-through inserts (to expand, flare/bell the case and drop the powder charge).
You will need to wipe off the exterior of your cases before you size them to remove any dirt/grime/ash that could scratch the case during sizing. Any cleaning beyond this level is simply a WANT by the reloader to have cleaner/shinier brass.
You will NEED a pair of calipers to measure the Cartridge Overall Length (COL). You should make up one or two dummy inert rounds and slowly seat the bullet deeper and deeper until it fits the magazine and feeds and chambers easily. This is an important number to record and keep the dummy rounds in case you ever need to re-set the seating and crimp dies for that same bullet.
You will WANT to have some ammo boxes to store your loads, including a piece of paper referencing the bullet, bullet weight, powder, powder weight, primer, COL, and possibly case mfg. and any notes about the loads. This information also needs to go into a reloading log with notes about how the load performed at the range.
You DON"T NEED everything to start out and you are better off to start small and learn what you WANT and not be stuck with equipment you're not happy with.

IndyGunFreak
10-03-2011, 03:37
I am about to order a Lee 4 Hole Turret Press w/ Auto Index kit from Midway. I chose this kit because it seems to have pretty good reviews and a very good price.

Besides dies, what else do I need to order to load 9mm?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Don't get that kit.

1. the scale is an absolute piece of crap
2. the press isn't much better.

Read C4W's thread, and follow it to the letter, and get the Lee CLASSIC Turret, not the 4 hole auto turret.

RTL-G22
10-03-2011, 10:09
First of all, thanks to all the members of this forum who provided the stickies and all who regularly post to answer questions for new reloaders. In addition to watching lots of youtube videos, all of your advice has been extremely helpful.

To the OP:
I'm going to be setting up to reload in the next month or so with the Lee Classic Turret Press as suggested to you above. I was able to put together the same kit that Kempf offers minus the 6 ammo boxes, but with the Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure ($12 upgrade with the Kempf's kit) for $180.32 before shipping at factorysales.com. I will use old ammo trays for my loaded rounds for now. I don't know anything about this company's reputation and would love for the reloading vets to chime in with their opinions. If everything is on the up and up with them, then some may find this to be a slightly better deal.

I was planning on starting my own thread asking people's opinion on this once I finished some more reading and was actually ready to buy. However, this kit is recommended so often to new, low volume reloaders that I thought I should at least get the info out there. Hopefully, factorysales.com is legit.

Thanks again to all of you.

RTL

IndyGunFreak
10-03-2011, 11:24
First of all, thanks to all the members of this forum who provided the stickies and all who regularly post to answer questions for new reloaders. In addition to watching lots of youtube videos, all of your advice has been extremely helpful.

To the OP:
I'm going to be setting up to reload in the next month or so with the Lee Classic Turret Press as suggested to you above. I was able to put together the same kit that Kempf offers minus the 6 ammo boxes, but with the Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure ($12 upgrade with the Kempf's kit) for $180.32 before shipping at factorysales.com. I will use old ammo trays for my loaded rounds for now. I don't know anything about this company's reputation and would love for the reloading vets to chime in with their opinions. If everything is on the up and up with them, then some may find this to be a slightly better deal.

I was planning on starting my own thread asking people's opinion on this once I finished some more reading and was actually ready to buy. However, this kit is recommended so often to new, low volume reloaders that I thought I should at least get the info out there. Hopefully, factorysales.com is legit.

Thanks again to all of you.

RTL

Can you post links to exactly what you're getting.. My first guess is you're missing a few things, but... who knows.

RTL-G22
10-03-2011, 11:51
Can you post links to exactly what you're getting.. My first guess is you're missing a few things, but... who knows.

I don't have the links readily availabe, but can post later in the evening if necessary. I do however have the prices of each item written down.

LCT Press: $84.48
Lee Deluxe 4 Die Set: $33.28
Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure: $33.98
Lee Auto-Disk Riser: $7.60
Lee Safety Prime (Large and Small): $20.98

Total: $180.32 (before shipping)

For anyone interested, just go to factorysales.com and click on the CATALOG button on the left. As you scroll down the page the items are divided into categories (dies, priming tools, powder measures, etc.) If you find the individual items that I listed above the prices should be the same.
If anyone needs the actual links, I'll be happy to provide later on in the evening.

RTL

IndyGunFreak
10-03-2011, 13:26
I don't have the links readily availabe, but can post later in the evening if necessary. I do however have the prices of each item written down.

Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure: $33.98
Lee Auto-Disk Riser: $7.60

For anyone interested, just go to factorysales.com and click on the CATALOG button on the left. As you scroll down the page the items are divided into categories (dies, priming tools, powder measures, etc.) If you find the individual items that I listed above the prices should be the same.
If anyone needs the actual links, I'll be happy to provide later on in the evening.

RTL

Not bad... As long as they don't completely tear you a new one on the shipping, that looks good to me (some of those uber cheap places, tag you on shipping, as I'm sure many of us have experienced)...

As long as shipping charges aren't out of line, looks like you found a decent deal.

RTL-G22
10-03-2011, 14:22
Not bad... As long as they don't completely tear you a new one on the shipping, that looks good to me (some of those uber cheap places, tag you on shipping, as I'm sure many of us have experienced)...

As long as shipping charges aren't out of line, looks like you found a decent deal.

Links as promised: Scroll down linked page to find individual item(s)

https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/catalog/classic.html#50BMG

https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/catalog/dies-p7.html

Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure: $33.98 and Lee Auto-Disk Riser: $7.60
https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/catalog/powhan1.html

https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/catalog/primtool.html

As far as shipping goes, I just went through the process of putting together an order on the website and this is what I came up with. This place is located in Hartford, Wisconsin and I am in South Carolina, so your numbers will probably be slightly different:

USPS Priority Mail (7 days): $37.60--bringing total to $217.92
UPS Ground (5 days): $19.20--bringing total to $199.52
UPS 3 day Select: $40.08--bringing total to $220.40

They also offer UPS 2 day and UPS next day, but I didn't even bother to do calculations for those. I personally don't want to spend more than 25% of my actual purchase on shipping costs.

I will be going with the UPS Ground (5 days) when I place my order. The only problem I can forsee is determining whether all items are in stock and can be shipped at the same time. I plan on calling to verify this before placing my order.

Again, if anyone has any negative experiences with this company, please chime in.

RTL

WiskyT
10-03-2011, 16:38

Again, if anyone has any negative experiences with this company, please chime in.

RTL

I have made a couple of small orders of spare parts from them with no trouble. I am pretty sure they are the retail arm of Lee.

freakshow10mm
10-03-2011, 22:05
They are a company that is not associated with ownership of Lee Precision. Just a factory direct distributor that also sells retail.

WiskyT
10-04-2011, 13:16
They are a company that is not associated with ownership of Lee Precision. Just a factory direct distributor that also sells retail.

I don't really follow that. If they are "factory" and "direct", with Lee being the factory, how could they not be part of Lee?

freakshow10mm
10-04-2011, 13:45
I don't really follow that. If they are "factory" and "direct", with Lee being the factory, how could they not be part of Lee?
It's called marketing. They are factory direct SUPPLIED. You are not ordering from Lee Precision or a company owned nor operated by them. Factory Sales is a DISTRIBUTOR of Lee Precision products.

https://factorysales.com/html/company.html

OK, Factory Sales LLC owns and operates the factorysales.com website. He has no other ties to Lee Precision Inc other than being a distributor for them. He is supplied factory direct. You buy from him.

Lee Precision's website takes retail orders direct from Lee Precision.

Factory Sales' website takes retail orders direct from Factory Sales.

Lee Precision is NOT Factory Sales.

Clear enough now?

WiskyT
10-04-2011, 16:59
It's called marketing. They are factory direct SUPPLIED. You are not ordering from Lee Precision or a company owned nor operated by them. Factory Sales is a DISTRIBUTOR of Lee Precision products.

https://factorysales.com/html/company.html

OK, Factory Sales LLC owns and operates the factorysales.com website. He has no other ties to Lee Precision Inc other than being a distributor for them. He is supplied factory direct. You buy from him.

Lee Precision's website takes retail orders direct from Lee Precision.

Factory Sales' website takes retail orders direct from Factory Sales.

Lee Precision is NOT Factory Sales.

Clear enough now?

Yeah, it's clear that they are not "direct" and they have nothing to do with the "factory".

freakshow10mm
10-04-2011, 22:21
Yeah, it's clear that they are not "direct" and they have nothing to do with the "factory".
What is implied is you are ordering factory direct. That's not the case.

Put this as an analogy (I'm terrible at these though). Order a Dillon press from Dillon or order a Dillon press from Graf's. Same product, different companies. Is Graf & Son's a factory direct distributor (sells to retailers/dealers) and retailer (sells to consumers)? Yes and yes.

Now replace Dillon with Lee and Graf's with Factory Sales. Same thing.

The "Factory Sales" is misleading hence the confusion.

Not trying to be a prick, just trying to spread facts.

WiskyT
10-05-2011, 19:11
What is implied is you are ordering factory direct. That's not the case.

Put this as an analogy (I'm terrible at these though). Order a Dillon press from Dillon or order a Dillon press from Graf's. Same product, different companies. Is Graf & Son's a factory direct distributor (sells to retailers/dealers) and retailer (sells to consumers)? Yes and yes.

Now replace Dillon with Lee and Graf's with Factory Sales. Same thing.

The "Factory Sales" is misleading hence the confusion.

Not trying to be a prick, just trying to spread facts.

You're not at all being a prick, and I'm glad you clarified the situation. I had just figured that it was like an outlet of Lee's. Kind of like how in the old days factories had retail area by the front door. I used to buy coffee at a roaster. They had about a 500 square foot counter area in the front of the place where you could get whatever they had too much of or didn't meet whatever their specs were for a batch on the cheap.

freakshow10mm
10-05-2011, 22:16
Whew! Cool. I didn't want to get the wrong tone across. It seems like a factory outlet store/website but it's not, which leads to confusing the public.