Tactical flashlights: need to purchase one ASAP and am a newb in this area. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tactical flashlights: need to purchase one ASAP and am a newb in this area.

TsunamiMike
09-29-2011, 09:03
Alright so I am taking a low light defensive pistol training class and a prerequisite for the class is a tactical flashlight. I asked of course what he meant by that and he said well one that is a little longer than a typical highlighted with the on and off settings on the bottom of the light so you could click it on and off with your thumb.

He mentioned a few brands but said most people purchase surefire as they are durable and the best flashlights out there. I started looking at them at the local range last night and was slapped in the face with a 189 dollar price tag....

Anyhow The instructor was surprised to hear that I don't have one currently but he said no worries just go get one before the class.

I know there are led options or incandescent, which are better?

I like the clip on some of them and like the beveled front for defending on some...

So the model numbers I am looking at are:

G3 w/xenon bulb
C2 centurion w/ xenon bulb
E2d
6pd

Again I need this thing for a class but something is telling me that I should carry one with me...

BailRecoveryAgent
09-29-2011, 09:06
http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88850-Polytac-Flashlight-Batteries/dp/product-description/B001S0IN46

Great little "Tactical" light for under $40. I work mostly evenings and at night and the PolyTac LED has been nothing but flawless.

sigchaser723
09-29-2011, 09:46
First let me say that I am admitedly hard on gear and if locked in an empty room with a rubber ball could probably manage to break the ball. I have given poytechs to my GF and she likes hers mine on the other hand lasted about a month before I ran into issues. The main problem was and still is the tail cap. The switch just isn't durable and failed on me sometimes it turns on sometimes it doesn't. Your instructor realy hit the nail on the head for you surefire is the best out there and you pay for that quality. My suggestion to you would be to look at the G2 LED its under $80 if memory serves and has lasted a year of daily carry and abuse by me with no ill effects. The LED is a much better route to go since the bulb last pretty much forever, while the traditional incandecent xenon bulbs will burn out and need to be replaced after hard use. Really it sucks but spend the money a flashlight is something you should always have on you if you plan to carry a gun because target identification is a must, and everyone goes to dark places sometimes. A great exampe is going to a daytime movie, its bright outside but inside that theater is black as night and people don't always think about that so having a flashlight all the time solves the problem of thinking about when you may need it.

RobG
09-29-2011, 10:02
I also have 2 Surefire G-2 LED lights and IMO work just fine...they sell for about $50.00. The second one I purchased is a OD and my local gun shop had it on sale for $38.50.

arushus
09-29-2011, 10:22
Like sigchaser said, LED's last a very long time, AND they arent hard on batteries at all! If you are really interested at having an advantage over the bad guy, you might consider getting one with a strobe function, if you arent already...

HOTHEAD
09-29-2011, 10:29
Fenix pd30 $65

http://www.fenixgear.com/flashlight/Fenix_PD30_R5.html?gclid=CMeJjoLwwqsCFUTBKgod6Vjyvg#catalog/img/PD30_R5.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOPlziTDodM&feature=fvst

http://www.fenixgear.com/flashlight/catalog/img/PD30_R5.jpg

Bren
09-29-2011, 10:37
Alright so I am taking a low light defensive pistol training class and a prerequisite for the class is a tactical flashlight. I asked of course what he meant by that and he said well one that is a little longer than a typical highlighted with the on and off settings on the bottom of the light so you could click it on and off with your thumb.

He mentioned a few brands but said most people purchase surefire as they are durable and the best flashlights out there. I started looking at them at the local range last night and was slapped in the face with a 189 dollar price tag....

Last time I looked, I could by a Surefire anywhere in town for $40 or less.

Walmart has similar CR123-battery Streamlights for about the same. My streamlight on my pistol is so good, I intend to buy and LED streamlight soon.

LED is great, because it lasts longer (bulb and batteries), but they cost a lot more.

John Rambo
09-29-2011, 10:44
Maglight XL50 or one of their other lineups.

If you want brighter, the XL200 is even brighter.

BailRecoveryAgent
09-29-2011, 10:54
I also have 2 Surefire G-2 LED lights and IMO work just fine...they sell for about $50.00. The second one I purchased is a OD and my local gun shop had it on sale for $38.50.

If you can find the G2 LED's at that price, thats a good deal. They've been discontinued and replaced by the G2-X/6P-X "Tactical" and "Pro" series, http://www.surefire.com/G2X6PXCampaign, for you guessed it, same features and a steeper price tag. Slap the word "Tactical" on something and paint it black and you can charge more!

My PolyTac replaced a G2 LED that was "misplaced" by one of my kids when I didn't have time to turn the house upside down looking for it. Still haven't found it.:dunno:

tango44
09-29-2011, 10:58
Fenix TK10 is all you need!

up1911fan
09-29-2011, 10:58
I carry a Surefire LX2 or E1B daily.

John Rambo
09-29-2011, 11:02
^ That LX2 is a bright flashlight.

cowboy1964
09-29-2011, 11:04
Realistically a light needs to be pretty small if someone is going to be vigilant in carrying it.

Best setup is a small light for carry and a large light for home.

jwhite75
09-29-2011, 11:04
The Olight T25T and the Fenix LD20 both on Amazon relatively cheap...great lights with multi functions and settings and run on AA batteries.

seanmac45
09-29-2011, 11:32
Here is my suggestion;

Buy this;

http://www.lapolicegear.com/surefire...-closeout.html

Mod WithThis;

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/cree-dr...p-2-9v-9v-6076

and you are good to go.

It's the setup I run and it is phenomenal.

Wolf Spyder
09-29-2011, 12:30
TsunamiMike

I will start by saying my brother and I are Volunteer Fire Fighters.

I have been using Surefire Flashlights for years. Do Not buy the lights with a xenon lamp head (bulb). The bulb will break from recoil or rough handling, and they are horrible for battery life. In most cases the battery life from a xenon lamp head is around 45 minutes.

I have used LED lamp heads with great success. Battery life is almost 11 hours using the Surefire LED lamp head. The LED bulb is very durable.

I started carrying a Surefire G2 years ago. When the lamp head burned out, I switched to an aftermarket LED lamp head and instantly reduced my battery consumption 11 fold. So at about $9 for a pair of CR123A batteries that was a savings of $100 every time I changed batteries in my flash light. Also keep in mind if you buy CR223A battery packs, you can break open the plastic housing and find two CR123A batteries inside. Two or three years ago a local store was selling all of their Duracell CR223A battery pack on clearance for about $1.15 each. So I now have a box of batteries...

On the Fire Department my younger brother kept asking to use my Surefire flash light. After a stop on eBay, we were set. Now, we both have a Surefire G2 LED in our Bunker gear. I also figured out a very inexpensive way to mount a pair of them under the brim of our Cairns 1010 Fire Helmets, one on each side. We have not had any problems with them at all. Being mounted up under the brim of the helmet next to our ears, if it is hot enough to hurt to flash light... we would be toasted as well.

I use to have a G2 LED mounted on my M4 and it did just fine. Later I purchased several Surefire M951-XM07 Weapons lights to take over that duty.

I loved Surefire lights because allot of the parts would interchange like Lego's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/IMG_0311SurefireCloseup.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/IMG_0326Small.jpg

However, Surefire has changed their design so folks can no longer swap out the lamp head for an aftermarket unit. This new design makes the Bezel and lamp head a single piece.

You mentioned the following lights;

G3 w/xenon bulb Not a good choice because of the P90 Xenon lamp head.
C2 centurion w/ xenon bulb Not a good choice because of the P60 Xenon lamp head.
E2D Not a good choice because of the Xenon lamp head.
6PD Not a good choice because of the P60 Xenon lamp head.

I would suggest any of the older model Surefires as good lights from eBay or other on-line store;

G2 LED
G3 LED
6P LED
6P-Defender LED
9P LED
9P-Defender LED

They are bomb proof and you can find them far cheaper then the newer crap coming form Surefire.

As an after thought, a few of the older lamp heads are as follows;

P60 Xenon bulb = 2 CR123A batteries
P61 Xenon bulb "Hi Output" = 2 CR123A batteries
P60L LED = 2 CR123A batteries
P90 Xenon bulb = 3 CR123A batteries
P90L LED = 3 CR123A batteries

There are other lamp head assemblies for the bigger lights, but that is for another lesson...

There are other lights out there, but Surefire is by far the best in my opinion.

John Biltz
09-29-2011, 17:54
Here is something to think about. Do you need something for forever or just something to get you through the class? If the Later go to Wal-Mart and get something for about $40 that has a cap switch and is about 80 lumens. It doesn't sound like you are a fireman or cop so I don't think you are going to be using it much nor do you need the best. Once you have it then it can sit beside your bed.

Wolf Spyder
09-29-2011, 18:16
Here is something to think about. Do you need something for forever or just something to get you through the class? If the Later go to Wal-Mart and get something for about $40 that has a cap switch and is about 80 lumens. It doesn't sound like you are a fireman or cop so I don't think you are going to be using it much nor do you need the best. Once you have it then it can sit beside your bed.

TsunamiMike, I think John Biltz has a very sound and valid point. Wal-mart offers the RayOvac 3 watt flash lights for about $20.oo out the door. They run on 2 AA batteries and would work for your class. I have one for when I want a good light sourse but don't need to blind something.

TsunamiMike
09-29-2011, 22:13
How are the stream lights? I am looking at a Streamlight 88031 Protac Tactical Flashlight 2L which is only $39, which isnt that bad. 180 lumens for 2.5 hours, visable up to 126 meters and has an on/dim/strobe and a clip.

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88031-Tactical-Flashlight-Batteries/dp/B00396S1Q2/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1317354600&sr=1-1

What do you think? does this compete with Surefires line? 101 reviews and a 4.5 star...not bad

TsunamiMike
09-30-2011, 07:45
Just to throw out there" nebo lights? The redline and blue line look cool but cumbersome... Thoughts?

sigman69
10-01-2011, 00:01
I have a couple streamlight flashlights and they work real well. Also heard alot of good things about the Fenix E21 35.00 at amazon.com...I have no experience with one though.

TsunamiMike
10-01-2011, 05:38
I ended up purchasing the stream light l2 for only 39....

Thanks for all of you help

TsunamiMike
10-01-2011, 05:39
I ended up purchasing the stream light l2 for only 39....

Thanks for all of you help