Glock Front sight tool availability [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock Front sight tool availability

Shadow106
09-29-2011, 18:37
I spent most of today, wandering from gun shop to gun shop in Boise, Idaho today (and a few adjacent communities). I was looking for the hex socket to change the front sight on my Gen 3 G23 and a bud's Gen 3 G22. I was doing this because the one I had has magically disappeared into the block hole that surrounds my work bench. I was in nine (9) different shops and totally surprised about some of the reactions to my request. (These are well established shops with knowledgeable operators, not Walmart, K-mart, etc.)

1st shop: "Oh sure. I have one but you can't buy it. It's only for dealer use.

2nd shop: "Ya mean this one? (He's holding the drifting vice for the rear sight).

3rd shop: "Well, two of us are Glock armorers and WE have them, of course. I can order one for you. Runs about $28.95 + tax"

4th-6th shops: "Sorry, we send our repairs out to a gunsmith so we don't have a source for tools to sell over the counter."

7th & 8th shops: "So that's how the danged thing come off. I'll have to order some of those."

9th shop: The guy said there was no such thing. All Glocks have "staked" sights. When I suggested he pull the 23 he was carrying, break it down and look at the mount, he called me an f___ing know-it-all and told me to leave the store.

So I went home, went on line and ordered the dang thing, and will be patient for a couple of days 'til I can switch out to the new sight. $12.95 +4.00 shipping. And $50 for gasoline and Pepcid.

Remember where I said, "Knowledgeable operators" up at the top? Erase that for me, please.

emore
10-01-2011, 11:12
The little 4-in-1 tool from LWD is nice as it gives you a good grip to loosen but not so strong as to strip the threads on installation. It also ain't cheap.
Sounds like you have a string of winning "gun" shops.

imaguy3
10-01-2011, 11:17
ameriglo has a simple tool for 5 bucks (ships in package free with front site purchase)... http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/sight-tools/glock/front-sight-tool

kbandy
10-08-2011, 02:47
midwayusa.com 22.00 bucks got it in 3 days. good quality too.

Hobnob
10-08-2011, 18:52
Brownell's sells a Glock front sight tool that also has a punch, and it's made of steel. Not sure of price.

VN350X10
10-08-2011, 19:04
any good 3/16" 6 point socket can be transformed into a front sight tool for Glocks with about 5-10 minutes on a lathe.
And even a Snap-On socket shouldn't run over about 15 bucks....and they think quite highly of themselves when it comes to price.
A Craftsman will do as well for under 5 bucks !

need to add here, make sure it's a 1/4" drive.

uncle albert

baddean
10-10-2011, 19:04
I realize that I'm showing up at the dance a little late but a Craftsmen 3/16 socket driver works great.