Lightening A 1911 Recoil Spring? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lightening A 1911 Recoil Spring?

doc540
09-29-2011, 18:58
Combat Commander in .45

new, Wolf recoil spring, 22 Lb

Apart from buying additional, new springs, can one reduce a spring by removing a coil?

If so, how much would it drop from 22 Lb?

thnx

Tom in Arizona
09-29-2011, 19:38
Combat Commander in .45

new, Wolf recoil spring, 22 Lb

Apart from buying additional, new springs, can one reduce a spring by removing a coil?

If so, how much would it drop from 22 Lb?

thnx
Not only will you change the weight of the spring but other properities of the spring. You did not say if your Wolff spring was a conventional or progressive. The best way to adjust it is to buy a recoil spring calibration pack in progressive and conventional and experiment to get the results you are after.

I like to change the relationship of the springs by installing a lighter main spring taking less force cocking the hammer and heavier recoil spring to control the slide. It's just a balancing act.

doc540
09-29-2011, 19:43
Not only will you change the weight of the spring but other properities of the spring. You did not say if your Wolff spring was a conventional or progressive. The best way to adjust it is to buy a recoil spring calibration pack in progressive and conventional and experiment to get the results you are after.

I like to change the relationship of the springs by installing a lighter main spring taking less force cocking the hammer and heavier recoil spring to control the slide. It's just a balancing act.

Yep, good sense dictates doing it right.

thnx

NMPOPS
10-02-2011, 04:13
Springs are cheap buy several of different weights and see what works best.

Sent from my Ally

EOD3
10-02-2011, 21:39
Tom gives good advice. Are you shooting softball-loads or are you having FTF/FTE problems with standard loads?

PS: Is the 22 a commander spring or ???