40 help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 40 help

declinetostate
09-29-2011, 19:33
I'm trying to load some lead tcfp bullets for both a kahr cw40 and a conversion barrel for my glock 33. I'm having issues with chambering and OAL. The bullets are missouri 180gr and the data I'm seeing is OAL @1.125. At that OAL there is still a shoulder past the case and I cant get it to chamber in either gun. I pulled both barrels and they wont move freely. I changed crimp, I've used a bulge buster, I've used a factory crimp die and it's not the case. I can drop a case in and out freely. I started setting the bullet until I can get it to function and rotate and that's using an OAL of 1.100. Now I need help on whether I can use this OAL and if I can what powder charge should I use? I'm using bullseye and At 1.125 I see 4.2 to 4.5 gr. I have no idea where I should start. Any pointers would be great. I cant get it figured out and I'd like a safe starting point or direction to head in. By the way I've tried chey cast bullets with the same weight and shape and same issue. At first I thought it was just the bullet itself but it's not. Thanks for the help.

GioaJack
09-29-2011, 19:50
Published OAL's are next to worthless, they intimate to a newb that if they don't load to that length they're doing something wrong. Nothing could be further from the truth.

You need to load your OAL to your specific barrel or cylinder... to a degree they will all be different.

If your barrel/cylinder calls for a shorter OAL than the published data and you are concerned about higher pressure simply lower your charge, around 10% and rework it up from there.

Jack

Steve Koski
09-29-2011, 20:00
Your lead bullets are too big for your barrels. You can cheat around this a little by using a shorter COL, as you found. Work up your loads carefully!

PCJim
09-29-2011, 20:16
Lyman 48 lists a 175gr TCFP over A range of 4.0 to 5.0 BE, 1.10 COL. Your 180 is only slightly heavier, but enough to not be able to fully interchange data. The additional weight will generally equate to a slightly longer bullet and when loaded to the same COL as a 175gr, the available case volume will be slightly less.

All that having been said, I would use the starting load for the 175gr at 1.10 COL and work up if you don't get reliable cycling or accuracy. Watch for cratering on the primers as you work up the loading, also note how far the cases are being ejected compared to factory rounds. I personally think you'll be fine even at 4.5gr.

declinetostate
09-29-2011, 20:42
Thanks for the help guys. I've worked around some 9mm and 45 loads but was very hesitant to try the 40 without some input from others. From what I've read it's not a very forgiving round and I didn't want to be foolish and mess around without getting some input. I'll load some up and take them to the range monday.

fredj338
09-29-2011, 21:08
The other guys have it right. OAL is very bullet & gun specific, probably the most diff thing for noob reloaders to wrap their heads around. Regardless of what any manual or other reloader tells you, the OAL MUST FIT YOUR GUN. SImply seat deeper & reduce the powder charge. Seating the bullet another 0.015" isn't going to affect pressure much, even in the 40. A wise move would be drop the charge wt would be 0.1gr. Yes that is arbitrary, but that is my exp for such a small decrease in OAL & fast burners like BE (not my first choice by a long ways for the 40 BTW).

Colorado4Wheel
09-30-2011, 06:15
I'm trying to load some lead tcfp bullets for both a kahr cw40 and a conversion barrel for my glock 33. I'm having issues with chambering and OAL. The bullets are missouri 180gr and the data I'm seeing is OAL @1.125. At that OAL there is still a shoulder past the case and I cant get it to chamber in either gun. I pulled both barrels and they wont move freely. I changed crimp, I've used a bulge buster, I've used a factory crimp die and it's not the case. I can drop a case in and out freely. I started setting the bullet until I can get it to function and rotate and that's using an OAL of 1.100. Now I need help on whether I can use this OAL and if I can what powder charge should I use? I'm using bullseye and At 1.125 I see 4.2 to 4.5 gr. I have no idea where I should start. Any pointers would be great. I cant get it figured out and I'd like a safe starting point or direction to head in. By the way I've tried chey cast bullets with the same weight and shape and same issue. At first I thought it was just the bullet itself but it's not. Thanks for the help.

You need to be looking at Lead data. Lyman shows a Lead 175 gr bullet at 1.100 OAL with a 4.0 gr starting load for Bullseye.

ColoCG
09-30-2011, 12:29
You need to be looking at Lead data. Lyman shows a Lead 175 gr bullet at 1.100 OAL with a 4.0 gr starting load for Bullseye.

I agree with steve of a starting load of4gr.of Bullseye for your loads.

I ran into the same problem with my CW40, I can load my 180gr. fmj bullets at 1.125" but have to shorten this to 1.095" with a 180gr. cast TC bullet. I adjust my load accordingly. From 6.2gr. Unique for the fmj to 5.1gr. for the cast.

Colorado4Wheel
09-30-2011, 13:28
Let us know if they even work in the Kahr. Mine didn't even like plated bullets.

cowboy1964
09-30-2011, 13:34
If you want to drop charge just to be safe I would do it more than .1. That equates to only about 2% or so. Won't change anything.

WiskyT
09-30-2011, 14:41
3.5 Bullseye and a 180 lead bullet runs every 40 I own and is very accurate. At that low of a charge, you don't need to worry much about pressure and oal.

fredj338
09-30-2011, 15:16
If you want to drop charge just to be safe I would do it more than .1. That equates to only about 2% or so. Won't change anything.

It actually can running uberfast powders in small cases @ the top end. A 0.1gr up or down plays into pressure quite a bit. Look at the Hogdon site w/ something like Clays, very narrow charge range, so 0.1gr can matter, just depends.:dunno:

ColoCG
09-30-2011, 16:37
Let us know if they even work in the Kahr. Mine didn't even like plated bullets.

The 180gr. cast TC bullets work fine in my Kahr cw40 although not my bullet of choice in that gun. I usually load 155gr. or 165gr. Berry's plated FP and they work fine also.:dunno: