How does a wireless printer work? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How does a wireless printer work?

ClydeG19
09-29-2011, 20:55
Do you plug it into your router via an ethernet cable or is it completely wireless and can communicate with your computer through the router? Does it vary from model to model?

Detectorist
09-29-2011, 21:00
Do you plug it into your router via an ethernet cable or is it completely wireless and can communicate with your computer through the router? Does it vary from model to model?

It communicates through your router with your computer. It is assigned an IP just like any computer.

srhoades
09-29-2011, 22:56
And it is completely wireless (except for the power cord), only needs to be able to pick up the wireless signal from the router.

Drjones
09-30-2011, 11:52
First, it can be a big pain in the rear is what.

Next, it usually communicates through a router, but I've set up a few HP P1102w printers that can communicate directly with your computer, wirelessly.

GAFinch
09-30-2011, 19:36
In general, a networked printer plugs into a network, which may or may not be wireless. A wireless printer would have a wifi card built in, so no ethernet cable is needed.

Green_Manelishi
10-01-2011, 07:07
That's the quesion, innit?

A truly wireless printer would need wireless capability built in to itself, much like a wireless 'puter.

A computer on a wireless network can communicate with the printer "wirelessly" (i.e. the puter has no physical connection to the printer, or even a/the router) but the printer itself might be physically connected to the router.

Such is the case in my wee cabin.

The printer is connected via ethernet to the router. But the computers; an old Dell running Ubuntu, a Mac running OS X, a Compaq Presario running Vista, an Acer netbook running XP, and an Asus desktop running Win7 all communicate wirelessly with the printer through the router.

I hope that answers your question.

And I agree with the good Dr; sometimes a wireless is a PITA. Funny thing is that my Asus desktop has a wireless but I was forced to run a few feet of ethernet to the router, which is less than 5 feet away, because there was some interference. None of the other 'puters, which are further away, have any issues.

handyman
10-02-2011, 11:01
My HP once you set it up it was good to go. Sometimes you have to turn it off than on for the computer to see it.

solomansousana
10-03-2011, 12:54
I currently have three printers connected via my wireless router.

1. Brother Multi-function Copy/Print/Scan/Fax
2. HP 1022 wifi
3. HP Officejet pro 8500a
4. Dell 1350cnw color laser

Simply follow directions loading software, then connect to router via cable to establish IP, then unhook and use at will. I have mine inside an enclosed printer cabinet in the climate controlled electronics room of our home. The only thing I need to remember is to turn them on and off when finished with them as I don't like leaving them on when not in use.