My '09 Hemi Charger has drawn first blood... and it was MINE!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My '09 Hemi Charger has drawn first blood... and it was MINE!!

nitesite10mm
09-30-2011, 09:57
Was exiting my patrol car on a traffic stop, and just as I tugged on the open drivers door to shut it and move to make contact I sensed what I thought was a fast moving car fairly close behind me. Speed limit where I was is 65 and most folks are exceeding that.

So my attention was diverted to looking rearward, and my right hand stayed holding on to the rear vertical edge of the Charger door longer than normal as I "rode" the door shut thinking I might re-open it and re-enter my ride.

And that's when the jolt of pain interupted all my other thoughts. The damn door shut on my fingertips. In most cars and trucks it's a squeezing/crushing type of event (I guess, I did it once like 15-years ago without much aftermath). Usually there is metal on the door and a thick rubber weatherstrip in the door opening. But the Charger has an outer steel applique running vertically behind the front door windows, and where it turns 90-degrees around the back edge it is then cut off like a knife blade instead of being folded over flush and smooth! Worse, there's no weatherstrip there to act as a cushion, it's a sharp metal edge on the door and a painted steel door frame and maybe 1/4" space between them!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/nitesite9/dooredge.jpg

That sum-bissh had me almost on my knees in pain and I couldn't pull my hand out until I lifted the door handle and opened the door. It cut me real good, down to bone. That stupid design needs to be re-invented so that its 3/16" protruding steel edge is rolled over flat.

Just saying, learn from my experience and don't get cut! I now have scar tissue forming and numbness in at least one fingertip on my right hand.

DaBigBR
09-30-2011, 10:09
Ouch.

There are easier ways to get a couple days off.

Dalton Wayne
09-30-2011, 10:15
So did you write a biscuit or let the driver go?

ryanm
09-30-2011, 10:33
The driver was probably wondering why you were hopping around and yelling.
Sorry, dude!
That's a new item to check on my patrol vehicles. I never considered to look for that.

nitesite10mm
09-30-2011, 10:35
Honest to god, this is what happened when I made contact. I was holding my right hand in a tight fist and blood was dripping off my elbow. Told the driver to please understand that needed to walk to the gas station that we were in front of and stop the bleeding. Driver said, "No problem, I'll wait."

Went in and ran hand under cold running water, an ABC (Alabama Beverage Control) cop was auditing the convenience store and he offered me some really good flex-strip wide band-aids from his never-used first aid kit and then I walked out to talk to driver.

He asked if I was OK, and he said that I wouldn't have gotten hurt if he hadn't been driving like a bonehead, and said to "go ahead and write me the ticket, I deserve it."

So I did. One handed. And Left handed. Typing was slow but I found out that I can't sign my name worth schidt doing it left handed.

Told him that my right hand never touched the cite and not to worry about body fluids being on it.

True story!

nitesite10mm
09-30-2011, 10:42
Ouch.

There are easier ways to get a couple days off.

I was fifteen minutes into a NAHSO (North Alabama Highway Safety Office) Traffic Enforcement Overtime Grant shift, six hours worth. It was literally the last afternoon to pull off those 6-hours, right down to the wire, before the midnight deadline to file for the hundred hours and they wanted all hours filled. My six would finish it.

So I just pressed on and finished the OT. Changed band-aids three more times. Not that big a deal. :yawn:

nitesite10mm
09-30-2011, 10:47
Hey, this isn't about me, or what I did, or anything like that.

I just don't want anybody else getting caught by one of these things cuz it could really cause some permanent damage. I was fortunate. After two weeks only my middle fingertip is numb. I'm hoping that picking at all the scar tissue near the last joint will eventually make it more fleshy and return some feeling to my finger. Had I gotten stitches I would still be dealing with the scar tissue and numbness.

I wonder if the 2012 Charger has solved the issue.

DaBigBR
09-30-2011, 11:51
I was fifteen minutes into a NAHSO (North Alabama Highway Safety Office) Traffic Enforcement Overtime Grant shift, six hours worth. It was literally the last afternoon to pull off those 6-hours, right down to the wire, before the midnight deadline to file for the hundred hours and they wanted all hours filled. My six would finish it.

So I just pressed on and finished the OT. Changed band-aids three more times. Not that big a deal. :yawn:

Well then the true question is: how many tickets did you write?

We just finished our GTSB (Governor's Traffic Safety Bureau) year today, too. I'm guessing all the money is coming from the same place.

nitesite10mm
09-30-2011, 12:03
Well then the true question is: how many tickets did you write?

We just finished our GTSB (Governor's Traffic Safety Bureau) year today, too. I'm guessing all the money is coming from the same place.

You don't really want me to state on a public forum what that productivity ought to be, do you?

Productivity....

I just made that up. There is no such thing. For real.

IGotIt
09-30-2011, 12:16
Sorry to hear about the mishap, did you send a letter to, or call Chrysler?

nitesite10mm
09-30-2011, 12:46
No. I didn't.

What say all you coppers out there... should I mention this to Chrysler/Dodge to see if they'll look into this?

I'm only interested in keeping you LEOs from having the same thing from happening to you.

wprebeck
10-02-2011, 06:18
You don't really want me to state on a public forum what that productivity ought to be, do you?

Productivity....

I just made that up. There is no such thing. For real.

Locally, the fed OT calls for what has been termed "contacts". A friend does a lot of it, usually fills his requirements early on.

On a related topic, LMPD uses COMSTAT. People are being punished for not having "enough stats". And here I thought quotas were illegal. Hear that, ACLU? A major departments is requiring officers to get a certain amount of stats, or get into trouble......of course, no one sets a specific number, they just say you don't have enough.
:whistling:

CJStudent
10-02-2011, 08:08
Locally, the fed OT calls for what has been termed "contacts". A friend does a lot of it, usually fills his requirements early on.

On a related topic, LMPD uses COMSTAT. People are being punished for not having "enough stats". And here I thought quotas were illegal. Hear that, ACLU? A major departments is requiring officers to get a certain amount of stats, or get into trouble......of course, no one sets a specific number, they just say you don't have enough.
:whistling:

And they wonder why nobody wants to work for that agency......

DoogieHowser
10-04-2011, 08:38
I did that with my blazer once, I was at a gas station. My cpl was across the other side looking right at me and (wasn't married at the time) there was a convertible with a few extremely 'fit' (as my friends across the pond would say) women in it. I had the windows down and cupped the door and slammed it, apparently I forgot to let go. I slammed the door shut and started walking towards my Cpl and was stopped by my arm, I looked back and was very confused as I could see my fingers on the inside of the car and my hand on the outside. I tugged at it and it wouldn't let go, then it dawned on me what I had done, and the pain kicked in. I couldn't get to the door handle fast enough, all the while trying to play it off. I never uttered a sound till I got back in my car and rolled the windows up...

nitesite10mm
10-04-2011, 09:14
So, does anyone else's Charger exhibit the same sharp edge of steel running the same height as the window? Or is my car the only one?

DoogieHowser
10-04-2011, 09:16
So, does anyone else's Charger exhibit the same sharp edge of steel running the same height as the window? Or is my car the only one?

We've got some 08's I'll check later on if I get a chance.