Struggling to pick the right small 9mm for me [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Struggling to pick the right small 9mm for me

markrb
09-30-2011, 17:10
I need some advice and I would appreciate your personal feelings with this as I trust your opinion. I am struggling to decide on which of the many choices in a small 9mm I will end up with. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to shoot any of these before I make my final choice. I have been reading everything I can find and have held all, but one.

I am looking at the Ruger LC9, Kel-Tek PF9, Taurus 709 slim and the Kahr CW9.

I like the Ruger and Taurus because the both have safeties which I personally like. (I know not for some).

You gave the Kahr a very good review and have publicly stated you didn't like the Ruger trigger.

I know of another well respected reviewer that uses the Kel-Tek for their personal CCW.

Cost is another consideration as the Kahr is the most expensive, followed by the Taurus, then the Ruger and the cheapest being the Kel_Tek. I know cost shouldn't be consideration number one in this case, but there is over a $250 difference between the highest and the lowest cost.

I guess what I am asking is that would you trust all of these and in what order from best to lowest would you choose to carry?

Does having a safety on a "pocket gun" sway your opinion either good or bad?

I know the way a trigger feels and the way it shoots is a personal opinion and may not reflect my preferences, but I would still like your opinion as I trust it far more then most.

Thanks,
Mark

Mas Ayoob
09-30-2011, 21:03
Mark, of the guns you mention, I'd go with the Kahr. That new economy model you mention is $220 cheaper than my "old," reliable PM9 that never failed me.

Pricing out of the catalog touches dollars, size and weight specs, round count, and cetera. What's missing is the critical factor of "shootability." The Kahr in my personal experience gets the nod on that.

One way to look at the cost effectiveness is this: remember that guns are the ultimate "durable goods." They last a lifetime, and then we put them in the will for our children, for whom they'll work just as well.

In the old revolver days, it was assumed that a rookie's new service revolver would last him 20 years until he was eligible for retirement. Look at the gun you're thinking of buying, sit down with a pocket calculator, and figure out for yourself what it will cost you per day if you keep it in for two decades.

All of a sudden, the added cost of the gun you'll be able to shoot better seems very, very reasonable in terms of "price of safety per day for the next 20 years."

Nothing against the other guns you mentioned, just sharing what would be my personal choice.

Best,
Mas

markrb
10-01-2011, 08:30
Thanks for the advice. 3 other quick questions if you don't mind.

Do you have any issue NOT having a safety on a gun a man would carry in his pocket or a women would carry in her purse?

If you could chose any gun (not restricted to the ones I previously listed) that sells for the price of the CM9 or less in the size range of the ones I listed which would it be?

I have a friend that lives in Massachusetts and has a CCW permit. He is looking into the same size gun as I am, but has State law limitations and cannot get the CM9. Which gun would you pick that is in this size range and costs around the CM9 or less.

Thanks,
Mark

Mas Ayoob
10-01-2011, 12:12
So long as the gun is in a pocket HOLSTER and not loose in the pocket, I don't have a big problem with the lack of a manual safety.

Ain't nothin' wrong with a J-frame snub...

best,
Mas

markrb
10-01-2011, 15:34
So for my friend in Mass you would go with a J-Frame snub nose revolver over any of the available semi-auto pistols?

I am convinced the CM9 is the right choice for me. Now time to save my pennies.

Thanks,
Mark

Mas Ayoob
10-01-2011, 19:58
I'd recommend that he TRY a J-Frame, AND that he try every locally available subcompact 9mm, and see what's going to work best for his particular balance of abilities and needs.

best,
Mas

markrb
10-02-2011, 17:38
Thanks for the advise. I ordered the CM9 today.