Pistol Lanyards: Why not? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Lanyards: Why not?

badlands99
09-30-2011, 21:45
I spent some time in parts of Asia recently and I noticed that, in some places, law enforcement officers all have lanyards on their sidearm, like this...

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/221086/221086,1281966766,1/stock-photo-singapore-august-police-officer-pointing-a-revolver-during-singapore-national-day-parade-59361967.jpg

It made me wonder why I don't see that here in The States. I figure there's a reason, and I figure you guys know what it is :cool:

My guess is that maybe it could get hung up on something in your car. I only saw these guys on foot, didn't see any of them working from a car, so maybe that's it?

CAcop
09-30-2011, 22:17
Im left handed. I tear the weatherstripping off a CV with my gun. A right hander at my PD would be getting that cord confused with the mic and the PA cords.

Markasaurus
09-30-2011, 22:36
Lanyard holes are good i think when you are in a situation where the weapon might fall out and get lost. I.e. motorcycle and boat, you name it. If i were on a boat i'd use cord to tie ANY weapon with the cord - the alternative is BLOOP!
If you feel you don't need it just grind it off or forget it.

Patchman
10-01-2011, 04:40
Where I'm at, the motorcycle and horse cops use lanyards. I don't know if that's because it's "traditional" or because it actually fills a function.

kpuscg04
10-01-2011, 08:40
I never used a lanyard when I was on the water. I'd rather the weapon go over the side then be attached to me and wildly flinging around in a fight should I loose it.

Also, we always worked in teams, so if I lost mine there should be plenty of other officers immediately available.

Cav
10-01-2011, 08:58
In the Military at times I used a lanyard (a few types).

My thoughts;

A good holster will hold your weapon.

A lanyard will get caught on things.

You might fall, or the lanyard might break when it gets caught on something.

If the lanyard can break at a set weight, and you drop your weapon, you might still loose the weapon.

Magazine changes will be hampered, the mag might not come out, and new mag might not go in easy.

My thoughts are if you are in a helo or boat it could be a good option. Otherwise it just gets in the way. Based my dealings.

DaBigBR
10-01-2011, 21:15
Not for patrol, in my opinion. It can snag on things, it slows you down when dropping the weapon at a jail, when it does have to be disconnected it leads to a focused, fine motor skill operation to remove it, etc. Working out of a helictoper or on the water it MIGHT be a viable option.

larry_minn
10-01-2011, 21:50
Not a LEO.

I took a carbine course where handgun was used often. We had one person who had trained/often used a lanyard.
I do not recall him ever haveing any issues with reloading. It did get tangled up a couple times during transitions.
At start of day I was thinking "that might be a good idea" by end of 2nd day I had no interest in one.

Patchman
10-01-2011, 22:31
When its a real SHTF event, where every family is for themselves, I can see the usefulness of lanyards on guns you're carrying.

mulletpatrol
10-01-2011, 23:00
I never used a lanyard when I was on the water. I'd rather the weapon go over the side then be attached to me and wildly flinging around in a fight should I loose it.

Also, we always worked in teams, so if I lost mine there should be plenty of other officers immediately available.

What he said. I'm on the water 10 hours a day and have never seen the need for them although we do have a reserve officer that is tacticool enough to sport one. Just one more thing for me to snag on. To each his own I suppose...

OLY-M4gery
10-02-2011, 06:11
Im left handed. I tear the weatherstripping off a CV with my gun. A right hander at my PD would be getting that cord confused with the mic and the PA cords.

I tend to do that too!!

Same reason US police generally don't wear "suicide straps" either.

3Speedyfish3
10-02-2011, 11:26
The only time I saw a pistol lanyard needed was at SWAT Round-Up when one guy's Beretta hit the drink on a water crossing. It popped out of his Safariland 6004. Otherwise, not for Patrol.

Randall

Ajon412
10-02-2011, 11:42
Where I'm at, the motorcycle and horse cops use lanyards. I don't know if that's because it's "traditional" or because it actually fills a function.

It's both (more) traditional and is also functional...I've seen the aftermath of a service revolver skipping down the asphalt....It's not pretty...:crying:

Newcop761
10-02-2011, 12:01
When I was starting to do ship boardings a few years ago I asked the CT brain trust about lanyards. I was advised against it by many on the forum including some Coasties that do enforcement boardings far more frequently than I did.

RVER
10-02-2011, 13:57
PLEASE don't give my agency any ideas or I'm sure that we'll be issued lanyards too... They issue more $*** than I have room to store let alone carry. No I don't want a lanyard.

MakeMineA10mm
10-02-2011, 19:18
OK, I'll go against the grain here. I think Lanyards are a very useful tool for an officer. We had an officer lose his pistol in a foot chase that went several blocks, and the whole shift, including a couple supervisors, spent several hours on foot looking for it before it was recovered.

Horse patrol, motorcycle, maritime, SWAT, aviation, and K9 officers all have a very good argument for utilizing a lanyard, whether it's standard issue or not.

After the incident where one of our officers lost his pistol, it was considered by command whether to issue and mandate using lanyards for all of us. They eventually decided against it, but I'm not sure that was the right call...

There are also advantages to using a lanyard for weapon retention in a grab-situation and it can be used as a point of stabilization while shooting, if it is adjusted right.

Part of the issue of lanyards is that they must be worn, positioned, and adjusted correctly. The old US military lanyard was made to be worn around the shoulder, under the epaulette. THAT would be inconvenient, I'd say...

I really like the GEM-TECH lanyard: Gem-Tech Tactical Retention Lanyard (http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/Tactical-Retention-Lanyard-26p144.htm)

A poster on another board, going by the name "Tweeter" posted this suggestion, which I think is quite good:
I found that if you wear a pigtail on your pistol it's best to get take the slack out.

I wear my pistol on my right hip, the pigtail gets fastened to my belt near the 7 o'clock position. This way, the lanyard can stretch and remain taut and will stay out of my way while I work with the gun.

While holstered, the lanyard will lay flat with my body. While firing, the lanyard will stretch to the length of my arms. While reloading at eye level (the way most shooters are taught) the lanyard remains at or near arm-length.

The effect you want to avoid is creating a lasso with the lanyard.
It might take a while to find a sweet spot with your lanyard, they're not all the same length.

So, with your pistol in the holster at 3:00 o'clock (as looking at your duty belt from above), the belt-attachment-point for the lanyard goes somewhere around the kidney/small-of-back area (depending on how wide you are vs. the length of the lanyard), so that the pigtail is lying horizontally across the top of your belt, as it is being worn. This keeps the lanyard from having slack which can create a situation where the lanyard is lasso-ing anything and everything it can...

I may be testing this idea out in the near future.

rgregoryb
10-02-2011, 19:26
no, for the same reason we wear break away ties, someone could drag your *** around with a cord attached to you.

G21Pro
10-02-2011, 21:08
A guy at my station was assaulted by someone he was attempting to arrest. During the scuffle, the subject used the cord of his radio mic to try to strangle him. The subject was not successful, but it shows that anything you have on you can and will be used against you in the court of SHTF...

Goldendog Redux
10-02-2011, 21:29
I tried on on patrol for a while. More of a PITA than anything. If it doesn't have two quick release points-one at the gun, the other at the belt-then it is a real PITA.

MF