Does anyone else carry this in their GET HOME BAG? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else carry this in their GET HOME BAG?

TunaFisherman
09-30-2011, 22:18
I carry a few things I think people tend to forget...I never see this on any list

5 HOUR ENERGY DRINK.. Small and easy to carry.
http://www.5hourenergy.com/index.asp

Who can carry a thermos of coffee if you need to stay alert and awake to get home which could mean hours/days of walking...

comments?

G29Reload
09-30-2011, 22:39
I am sick of their ads, actually.

Lots more talk of the Gatorade pouches for your water bottle.

I tried one of those so called energy drinks, didn't really do much. Bigger buzz out of a cup of coffee.

Bushflyr
09-30-2011, 22:44
Caffeine Pills. Cheaper, lighter, better.

ETA: Or Go Pills, if you can get them.

TunaFisherman
09-30-2011, 22:47
I dont drink coffee. Never have. Caffeine pills make me sick.
I have found these work well for me. Try staying on wheel watch at night on a black ocean...
And I have enuff gatorade pouches.
But thanks for the comments.
Any other alternatives to pills or the drink?

MadMonkey
09-30-2011, 22:56
If the situation was THAT bad, I'm pretty sure I could stay awake. I'd stick to water.

Snaps
10-01-2011, 00:28
those things are disgusting.

TangoFoxtrot
10-01-2011, 04:46
No, they never worked for me. I carry whey protein powder mix in my GHB and BOB.

bdcochran
10-01-2011, 06:00
You are probably better off carrying a small vial of potassium and magnesium tablets.

Gatorade - developed by Florida scientist with taxpayer money. After suit, you, the taxpayer got some money back. Electrolitic solution.

banger
10-01-2011, 06:40
Actually....

For most people the problem is just the opposite.

In times of high stress, it can be difficult to impossible to fall asleep.

Sleep deprivation causes both mental and physical problem all by itself.

Consider, the last time you were involved in an argument, did you fall asleep?

Now, magnify this by many factors.

EDIT: Simply to make my point, have you ever talked to a "speed freak" after being awake for several days?

That sir, is an experience.

Lugi
10-01-2011, 13:03
It's all bull****...these ENERGY DRINKS are crap, look at the warning labels. They ain't no good for ya at all....

And these damn people that drink are wacked out of their mind...people at work are like "didn't have time to eat so I'll drink a 5 hour and be fine"... they think it's a substitute for eating right and taking care of them selves.

cowboy1964
10-01-2011, 14:47
If it's going to take days of walking to get to your destination, an energy drink isn't going to make any difference.

Water with some Gatorade packages and appropriate food is much better.

Aceman
10-01-2011, 15:27
I actually have some ginko/ginseng/vitamin energy drink mix for general alertness improvement. Nothing as hokey as 5 hour energy though.

I also carry allergy meds as a bonus sleep product.

PlasticGuy
10-01-2011, 15:34
I work rotating shifts, and I work armed nuclear security. I spend a lot of lonely nights in sniper towers. While I try to limit myself to 6 or so energy drinks per month, I do use them. I use the extra strength 5 Hour Energy drinks in particular. They are the same as the normal ones, but with a little more caffeine.

When you need to stay awake during a long boring night, and the reason you are there is to keep bad guys outside the wire, you do whatever you need to. Sound like a role you could see yourself in?

TunaFisherman
10-01-2011, 19:45
I assume most of my replies work normal 9 to 5 jobs. I work nights/days/weekends....
I dont use them alot, maybe 3 times a month. but when your totally exhausted after being up for 36+ hours they help. Some of the guys drink coffee,I dont. I can use one and when its time to sleep, I can.
Even in a stressful situation your body can only run so long before it crashes.
I keep a couple in my bag just in case.

Bushflyr
10-01-2011, 21:08
I get my wings from Red Bull. Well that, SKP, and Ozone. http://vimeo.com/24198210 :rofl:

mac66
10-02-2011, 07:52
My generation gap is showing here. I've never tried any energy drink. So I guess I have to ask if any of them actually do anything or are they basically just sugar and caffeine?

sebecman
10-02-2011, 08:59
Try staying on wheel watch at night on a black ocean...

Been there done that in spades.

I did it with coffee and cigarettes.

I would suggest learning to like (or dislike less) coffee.....and not use energy drinks, no science backing me up just my personal experience.

PlasticGuy
10-02-2011, 09:12
My generation gap is showing here. I've never tried any energy drink. So I guess I have to ask if any of them actually do anything or are they basically just sugar and caffeine?

It depends on which kind. Some are little more than Coca-Cola with a few vitamins in them. Others are the biological version of jet fuel, with some high doses of "supplements". The good ones are just a caffeine delivery system.

I like the 5-Hour Energy extra strength. They do have some supplements and preservatives, but not as much as many others. They work because they have as much caffeine as 1.5 cups of coffee. They are only an ounce, so you don't need empty the bladder 10 minutes after you drink it. Keeping a couple in my pack at work takes up almost no space, adds almost no weight, and can be a life saver when staring at a dark fence at 3:30am.

Stevekozak
10-02-2011, 09:18
I think it is a fine idea. They do work. I think alot of the ppl replying here think you are talking about an energy beverage like Red Bull or Rockstar or Monster, and not the energy shot you are talking about. I have used the shots from time to time to stay awake and get through late night on-call situations. Like you, they kept me alert for the time I needed them too, but allowed me to sleep when I needed to. Coffee jangles my nerves and makes me piss like a racehorse. Not great when you need to concentrate!!

Drjones
10-02-2011, 11:29
I think it's very important to carry caffeine - but preferably in pill form, or those little instant coffee packets you can get from Starbucks & similar.

Apart from the obvious uses of keeping awake, alert & more energized, for anyone who is used to caffeine on a regular basis, suddenly being without it can be debilitating. Been there, done that. The headaches and slugishness are just brutal and can last for days.

And guess what the only real remedy is?

Yep, caffeine.

Sure you can wean yourself off - and will have to if you bug out, but going cold turkey off caffeine can be nasty.

For that reason alone, I consider caffeine a must in anyone's kit.

Drjones
10-02-2011, 11:31
Actually....

For most people the problem is just the opposite.

In times of high stress, it can be difficult to impossible to fall asleep.

Sleep deprivation causes both mental and physical problem all by itself.

Consider, the last time you were involved in an argument, did you fall asleep?

Now, magnify this by many factors.

EDIT: Simply to make my point, have you ever talked to a "speed freak" after being awake for several days?

That sir, is an experience.

Good point, which is why you should also carry melatonin or Advil/Tylenol PM or something similar to help you sleep when needed.

TunaFisherman
10-02-2011, 19:30

5 hour gives u a massive dose of vitimins and the same mg of caffiene as a cup of coffee.
I dont rely on these and I dont drink coffee or smoke (never have& nvr will) or energy drinks(never)
I go on pure will power and so far it works most of the time. I have tried Red Bull, makes me jittery and mean.
I know several boats that stock up on cases of Red Bull for the crew,plus coffee.
The point of this thread was I would use it as a temporary energy booster. I dont think if you are a heavy coffee drinker these will work for you,,not sure but its basically the caffiene of one 4buck cup of joe
They work for me so thats all that counts in my book.

Here is a ingredient list
http://www.5hourenergy.com/ingredients.asp

Bushflyr
10-02-2011, 23:27
Interesting, while surfing off on various tangents from this thread I found 5150 Juice (http://www.5150juice.com/index.html). Basically the straight energy blend from many/most of the energy drinks with no sugar or other crap. I had to give it a try. At $25 per quart (equal to 200 Red Bulls) I just couldn't resist. :supergrin:

http://a3.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/127/6fc7c7cbb4334ef5bcc8bf1f7bce2a11/l.jpg

Javelin
10-02-2011, 23:40
I have a case of them in my SHTF supply but not in a carry bag.

MedicOni
10-03-2011, 00:32
Interesting, while surfing off on various tangents from this thread I found 5150 Juice (http://www.5150juice.com/index.html). Basically the straight energy blend from many/most of the energy drinks with no sugar or other crap. I had to give it a try. At $25 per quart (equal to 200 Red Bulls) I just couldn't resist. :supergrin:

http://a3.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/127/6fc7c7cbb4334ef5bcc8bf1f7bce2a11/l.jpg

Since I can't get my hands on IV caffeine, I'm gonna have to try that :p
As to the OP, I don't have a BOP or Get Home Pack, but I do carry two of those and usually 1 Monster Khaos in my pack that stays in the bus at work. Great for those long 48s where I seem to run the entire shift, or for driving to and from medic school (4 hours each way) after said shift.

Bilbo Bagins
10-04-2011, 08:28
I carry a few things I think people tend to forget...I never see this on any list

5 HOUR ENERGY DRINK.. Small and easy to carry.
http://www.5hourenergy.com/index.asp

Who can carry a thermos of coffee if you need to stay alert and awake to get home which could mean hours/days of walking...

comments?

I do.

The SHTF never happen on your schedule. Rioting usually does not stop at night. You may have to evacuate at 2am or drive 24 hours straight to get away from some event.

5 hour energy has a good shelf life, is compact, and seems to work for me.

pugman
10-07-2011, 06:20
I've tried it.

I seem to get the smallest amount of alertness from it; I notice it but its no better than a cup of coffee to me.

I will retest it though. Driving a coworker to the west coast in a few weeks...Milwaukee to Seattle nonstop (we are trading off driving). Will throw a few in the backpack and see how they work.

lawman800
10-07-2011, 08:35

Does it work?

TunaFisherman
10-08-2011, 17:43
Seems like a lot of xtra work with the 5150. And the ability to over use the stuff

schild
10-08-2011, 19:01
I've got a couple bottles of 5 hour energy extra strength and a pack of caffeine gum in my GHB.

I have enough caffeine gum at home to be able to ween myself off caffeine if coffee is unavailable.