Polishing brass [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Polishing brass

jerzeydevil77
10-02-2011, 08:16
I just started reloading again after a decade long hiatus. I've always just used corn cob and some Dillon rapid polish. This go round, someone gave me the used dryer sheet tip. I was surprised what a difference adding a used dryer sheet made to the sheen of my brass. So, it got me thinking, there must be more "home remedies" out there to polishing brass. What do you use?

BK63
10-02-2011, 08:24
This has been discussed to death in the past if you do a search. I gave up on the corn cob because of the dust. Dryer sheets did not impress me. I go to the pet store and buy crushed walnut media in the bird section. For me it polishes just as good and zero dust like corn cob. I don't add anything else to it. Been using this for many years. I should add it's very cheap in the pet store vs buying media labelled as for polishing brass.

unclebob
10-02-2011, 08:47
What I do is when I come back from the range I put the brass in one tumbler with walnut and cut up dryer sheets. The dryer sheets just help removing the crud and the media last longer.
When Iím ready to load I then put the brass in the other tumbler with corn cob. I have no problem with dust with corn cob. I mix 50/50 mixture of mineral spirits and NU Finish car polish in a squirt bottle. I put a couple of table spoons of this in the corn cob and run the tumbler for about 5 to 10 minutes to let it mix in with the corn cob. If you donít the media well clump up inside the case. The mineral spirits helps in removing carbon off the case that the walnut did not take off. The corn cob and NU Finish put a real nice shine on the case. It also helps I think when sizing the case.
Walnut media cleans the brass.
Corn cob shines the brass.
Some people mix walnut and corncob together 50/50 and add the dryer sheets and NU Finish and mineral spirits all at the same time.
I get the walnut media from Pet Smart. What I have found you do not want to get the stuff from Wal-Mart. Way way to dusty.
It also helps to put the tumbler on a timer. The security timers for about 5 to 10 dollars work great.

sig357fan
10-02-2011, 14:07
I always deprime before tumbling my brass, clean primer pockets make for easy priming with a Lee hand primer.

I use Harbor Freight fine blast media,

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-fine-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92155.html

I add used dryer sheets cut into strips and a cap full of mineral spirits and a cap full of Nu Finish car wax, let the tumbler run for 5-10 minutes before adding brass and run on a timer for 2 hours.

Brass comes out nice and clean, makes for easier priming and sizing and Iíve never had a problem with the media getting stuck in the flash hole, though I do check each piece of brass before I prime.

sig357fan

arodgers
10-02-2011, 14:25
I also run the Harbor Freight fine walnut media. I don't add anything to it and it works great. Brass comes out nice and shiny. Works a lot better than the Lyman green stuff I was using that came with my tumbler.

A6Gator
10-02-2011, 14:30
This has probably been discussed before, but, when you get back from the range, drop your brass in a gallon of water with a cup or two of white vinegar (I buy mine in bulk from Walmart). Leave it in for two hours and then rinse. Nice shiny brass.

dukeguy
10-02-2011, 14:39
Harbor Freight walnut + NU Finish = Shiny Brass!

jerzeydevil77
10-02-2011, 14:43
Thanks for the helpful responses. I have a lot of new tricks to try!

Fwdftw
10-02-2011, 15:00
I just use walnut meadia and a cap full of nu finish, let it run 10 minutes before u add brass

RustyFN
10-02-2011, 17:17
I use 50/50 pet store walnut and 14/20 corn cob. I add 1/2 cap full of Nu Finish and a paper towel cut into 8 or 10 pieces.

rpgman
10-03-2011, 09:26
after you let it run in the tumbler, I'm using that Lyman crushed nuts media, what do you do to rinse off the cases.

I did a batch last night, and they have that red dust all over them from the media....Should I just rinse them under hot water and let dry?

thanks,
Greg

Tpro
10-03-2011, 10:58
Seems like a lot of monkey motion to me. I bought the Stainless Steel media system. It's Much more simple than all that. It is more expensive initially, but the end result is much better, takes less time and cleans the ENTIRE case and primer pocket.

unclebob
10-03-2011, 11:41
Seems like a lot of monkey motion to me. I bought the Stainless Steel media system. It's Much more simple than all that. It is more expensive initially, but the end result is much better, takes less time and cleans the ENTIRE case and primer pocket.

First you have to deprime all the ammo. Other than rifle I donít care if the primer pocket gets cleaned or not. Then you have to dry the brass. I have tried different wet cleaning. No thanks. The only time I wet clean and then itís just to get all the sand etc. off the brass after I have been shooting in the rain.

Tpro
10-03-2011, 11:51
First you have to deprime all the ammo. Other than rifle I donít care if the primer pocket gets cleaned or not. Then you have to dry the brass. I have tried different wet cleaning. No thanks. The only time I wet clean and then itís just to get all the sand etc. off the brass after I have been shooting in the rain.

Yup. But I do deprime all my brass first. I just don't like working on dirty parts, no matter what the part is. And, it is a PITA to dry the brass if you don't have compressed air. I clean my brass at the shop, so I have compressed air. That makes the whole thing much easier.

As a side note...with the relatively inexpensive compressors you can get nowadays, I don't know why more people don't have compressed air in the home garage. 110v and a 10 gallon tank (or so) and you could find a lot of uses for it. Couldn't run air tools or paint a car but most other jobs it would handle.

unclebob
10-03-2011, 12:42
Yup. But I do deprime all my brass first. I just don't like working on dirty parts, no matter what the part is. And, it is a PITA to dry the brass if you don't have compressed air. I clean my brass at the shop, so I have compressed air. That makes the whole thing much easier.

As a side note...with the relatively inexpensive compressors you can get nowadays, I don't know why more people don't have compressed air in the home garage. 110v and a 10 gallon tank (or so) and you could find a lot of uses for it. Couldn't run air tools or paint a car but most other jobs it would handle.

Yep have that also. except 220V 30 gal. tank in the garage. Air tools and spray guns.

bush pilot
10-03-2011, 16:55

If you didn't want to invest a bunch into stainless media would you suggest a red or blue tumbler :rofl:

Tpro
10-03-2011, 17:12
If you didn't want to invest a bunch into stainless media would you suggest a red or blue tumbler :rofl:

Har-dee-har-har.

Good one. Should try late night.

For the record I started out with a Lyman tumbler because the "experts" said it was all you need, even though I said I wanted clean primer pockets. No real reason for it, just what I want.

It wan an icredible waste of time and money. I would have been ahead if I bought the right one to start with. Live and learn.

rockabillyrider
10-03-2011, 17:21
Dried rice works faster and cleans better than anything else I have tried. Cheap and not so darned dusty. Give it a try you may never turn back.

biggun1911
10-05-2011, 08:47
Dried rice works faster and cleans better than anything else I have tried. Cheap and not so darned dusty. Give it a try you may never turn back.

Are you talking about regular white rice form the grocery store?

rpgman
10-05-2011, 10:24
Harbor Freight walnut + NU Finish = Shiny Brass!

how much NU Finish do you use per pound of walnut?
Thanks,
Greg

unclebob
10-05-2011, 11:07
how much NU Finish do you use per pound of walnut?
Thanks,
Greg

You only need about 2 tablespoons full. In the whole tumbler. Put too much and you have a gooey mess.

rpgman
10-05-2011, 11:17
You only need about 2 tablespoons full. In the whole tumbler. Put too much and you have a gooey mess.

thanks

unclebob
10-05-2011, 14:22
Mixing the NU-Finish car polish 50/50 and mineral spirits in a squirt bottle. Empty dish soap bottle works great. The mineral spirits help cut the polish and I think it mixes in better with the media. Also the mineral spirits helps in getting the carbon off the brass.

rpgman
10-05-2011, 14:40
Mixing the NU-Finish car polish 50/50 and mineral spirits in a squirt bottle. Empty dish soap bottle works great. The mineral spirits help cut the polish and I think it mixes in better with the media. Also the mineral spirits helps in getting the carbon off the brass.

so, if I did mix that 50/50, does it still take about 2 table spoons?

oldsoldier
10-05-2011, 14:44
Do you have a Grainger supply store near you. A 40lb bag of 14/20 corncob is about $26. If not maybe you have a Harbor Freight or a sand blasting supplier. I never pay the "gun" prices for corncob or walnut. Add in a little Nu Finish and you're good to go.

unclebob
10-05-2011, 16:36
so, if I did mix that 50/50, does it still take about 2 table spoons?

Yes, Over time you will learn on how much to put. Less is better than too much. If you put too much just take about half of the media out and add fresh. And let that mix. Save the soaked media for the next time you need to change the media.

rockabillyrider
10-05-2011, 17:08
Are you talking about regular white rice form the grocery store?

Yup, You will be amazed with the results.

rpgman
10-05-2011, 20:19
DMixing the NU-Finish car polish 50/50 and mineral spirits in a squirt bottle. Empty dish soap bottle works great. The mineral spirits help cut the polish and I think it mixes in better with the media. Also the mineral spirits helps in getting the carbon off the brass.

Thank for the tip.
Went to petsmart got the crushed walnut
Went to walmart got the. NU Finish n had the mineral spirits
Mix the half n half solution
Ran the tumbler for two hours with 300 9mm cases
Brass came out all shiny

rpgman
10-06-2011, 06:22
btw, how many times can I use a batch?
I did the one batch with 300 9mm, so how many times can I do that with the same media? And, for every batch do I need to put in the two or so table full of 50/50 mix?
Thanks,
Greg

rpgman
10-06-2011, 10:23
Do you have a Grainger supply store near you. A 40lb bag of 14/20 corncob is about $26. If not maybe you have a Harbor Freight or a sand blasting supplier. I never pay the "gun" prices for corncob or walnut. Add in a little Nu Finish and you're good to go.

I have a Harbor Freight distribution center and store right down the street from where I work.

This weekend is their First of the Month Weekend sale.
Greg

ColoCG
10-06-2011, 11:12
btw, how many times can I use a batch?
I did the one batch with 300 9mm, so how many times can I do that with the same media? And, for every batch do I need to put in the two or so table full of 50/50 mix?
Thanks,
Greg

No, you don't have to put it in everytime only when the cleaning process slows down. Try a used dryer sheet cut up in the tumbler every so often also.

I use the Harbor Freight crushed walnut 24 grit. picked up 25# for about $20 on sale, works great.

rpgman
10-06-2011, 11:22
No, you don't have to put it in everytime only when the cleaning process slows down. Try a used dryer sheet cut up in the tumbler every so often also.

I use the Harbor Freight crushed walnut 24 grit. picked up 25# for about $20 on sale, works great.

thanks, I got some at Petsmart last night for about $21.00....don't remember if it had a grit number on it.

but, next time, I'll just go down the road at the Harbor Frieight distribution center/store and get 24 grit when it's on sale.