Lonewolf Glock barrel issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lonewolf Glock barrel issue

arodgers
10-02-2011, 12:11
I've been running 125gr LRN's from Missouri Bullet Company with Titegroup out of an STI 9mm 1911 with success, but recently picked up a Lonewolf 9mm barrel for my Glock 23 and the rounds I was loading for the 1911 are too long for the Glock. I measured it out, and it looks like 1.070-1.075 is the longest I can go without hitting the rifling, but I'm worried about running Titegroup with that short an OAL. Anyone have any suggestions for powder grain within my parameters? All Titegroup loads I've seen are around 1.150 OAL.

If I can't go that short, I guess I'll switch back to Unique. Seems to have been a little more accurate for me anyways.

FLSlim
10-02-2011, 12:49
Lyman suggests a start load of 3.2 for a 120 gr. lead RN with an OAL of 1.065. I don't use TG, so I can't vouch for the Lyman load, but it looks like a decent starting point for you.

ColoCG
10-02-2011, 12:55
You might also contact Lonewolf about returning you barrel with a dummy load, loaded at your normal length and having the barrel throat opened up.

arodgers
10-02-2011, 13:32
Lyman suggests a start load of 3.2 for a 120 gr. lead RN with an OAL of 1.065. I don't use TG, so I can't vouch for the Lyman load, but it looks like a decent starting point for you.

I'll cook up a couple and see how it runs.

You might also contact Lonewolf about returning you barrel with a dummy load, loaded at your normal length and having the barrel throat opened up.

I didn't think about that option. They run fine in my buddies stock Glock 19 barrel. Not sure why the rifling would be so much closer on the Lonewolf barrel...

Thanks to both of you for the ideas.

Tombo 65
10-02-2011, 17:17
I have the same problem with 45gap loads in my 37. I got a Lone Wolf barrel for it and reloads that work fine in the factory barrel hit the rifling and won't allow the gun to go into battery with the LW barrel installed. I'm using Titegroup for my loads and would probably have a problem if I seated the bullets deep enough to work with the LW barrel. I've stopped using it and stick with the factory barrel. The factory barrel actually doesn't lead using hardcast bullets (21 bn hardness) while the LW barrel leads after only a few rounds.

I'm more concerned about trying to maintain case capacity with the bullet loaded than OAL. If you start crowding the powder using a fast powder like Titegroup, you could get into trouble.

Good luck. If you end up sending your barrel back for adjustment, let me know what it costs, and how it comes out. I might try the same thing if it works for you.

Thanks
Tombo 65

squirreld
10-02-2011, 17:55
I had the same issue with my 40 loads.
I sold the LW bbl.

Colorado4Wheel
10-02-2011, 18:14
Most aftermarket barrels have a short throat. I hear LW will lengthen it for free. I would call them.

cole
10-03-2011, 01:47
I had to run 9mm LRN down to <1.035" in my LWD barrel. Also, depends on if it was .355" or .356" LRN. And, I used TG at times. No big deal. But, I no longer bother with lead in my 9mm Glocks. I now run 9mm LRN @ 1.140" in a CZ. And, Unique instead of TG. I run plated or FMJ in my 9mm Glocks.

Even in my .45acp Glocks w/ LWD I have to run LRN down to <1.140". Shorter throat = shorter OAL needed.

I've also had Glock KKM and Storm Lake barrels. Throats were shorter there too (vs. OEM), but not as much as the LWD. Chambers were tighter as well vs. Glock OEM but not as much as LWD.

Good luck.

freakshow10mm
10-03-2011, 08:54
LWD barrels usually have to be sent back for lead bullets. KKM barrels are good to go right out of the box.