open carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : open carry

Oscar60
10-02-2011, 15:21
I have a question about ''open carry'' and hope I'm in the right forum.Some states allow open carry,some don't.If you're in an open carry state,can you still carry anywhere ? Can you be arrested because of a public complaint because somebody doesn't like that you have an unconcealed weapon and it bothers people ? How does all this work for those of you that open carry ? I'm really curious about all that,thanks.......Oscar60

Jerry
10-02-2011, 16:34
You can carry wherever it is legal to be in possession of firearm. Not in court houses or police station or etc. Can they arrest you? They can arrest you for anything they want to. Will it stand up court? Maybe yes maybe no. That’s the chance you take carrying openly. Sometimes you have to pay to play.

RGbiker
10-02-2011, 18:31
In Arizona where OC is accepted by law, there will be some areas posted no guns/weapons.

Some businesses will be posted and if not posted and managers tells you to leave, you must do so or risk a trespass charge by police.

Oscar60
10-03-2011, 08:46
Thank you guys so far.Now for the big question,and I'm not trying to be funny.If you can open carry a pistol,what about a rifle or shot gun ? Again,I'm quite serious..........

Gunnut 45/454
10-03-2011, 09:26
Oscar60
I live in ID -yes you can OC a rifle or shotgun. I wouldn't make it a everyday thing walking around town. But you could I guess. Kind of hard to convince the LEO it's for protection though and I'm sure it will get you alot more attention. If your thinking about OC just do a pistol. Leave your shoty and AR/AK at home. Now that hunting season is on I usually have either a rifle or shoty in my truck anyway.:supergrin:

Jdog
10-03-2011, 09:40
I live in the state of Utah which has legal open carry

so I was taking my kids wilderness backpacking the other day & brought my g20. We had to stop for gas on the way and I wanted a drink.
I didn't want to leave my glock in the car w/my kids while I went in to pay.. so I just put it on my waist and went inside.

Well the idiot clerk says "are you a cop" and I said "no"
then he says "then why are you carrying that?"
I said "because I want to" (I didn't feel like it was any of his business to explain myself)
then he yells "PLEASE DON'T SHOOT ME SIR" !!! right in front of other people in line and the other employee. (sort of half serious and half joking)

and I'm like "wtf?" and gave him a strange look, paid and left

Always an uninformed idiot in every bunch I guess

Oscar60
10-03-2011, 10:00
Jdog....That's kind of what I had on my mind.Uninformed people,asswipes,and those who complain to the police because their feelings are hurt.I kind of understand it though.I'd hate to walk in town and see some of the local thug types carrying a weapon.It's one hell of an issue !

Jdog
10-03-2011, 10:16
I'd hate to walk in town and see some of the local thug types carrying a weapon.It's one hell of an issue !

I have a problem with this as I might be considered a local thug type because I "look" like a scary guy. I think every law abiding citizen ought to carry a gun !
I believe the gun crime rate would go WAY down if everyone carried. Bad guys & robbers would no longer have the surprise advantage.

Jdog
10-03-2011, 10:40
If you're in an open carry state,can you still carry anywhere ?

yep absolutely!!!
unless the private property owner says you can't like if a store has a sign on the front door saying no firearms or like my church has a policy that says no firearms in the church
Before I got my CCW license I open carried to restaurants and public library and on university campus... all legal!! I haven't done it often because I haven't felt the need and I think it's a bit mall-copish... but I have and nobody cares because as far as I know they're carrying too!..
The threat of having a mass killing at a local college university is almost zero in my state because all students and faculty can carry. It's a very safe feeling actually knowing that someone's watching your back and you theirs.

Can you be arrested because of a public complaint because somebody doesn't like that you have an unconcealed weapon and it bothers people ?
Nope absolutely not. That would be silly.
.... people will get offended over a lot of things. Can you imagine getting arrested for wearing a tanktop shirt showing off your bulging arm muscles with tattoos because someone feels threatened you might punch them?
I think armed crime in my state is low because criminals never know if a law abiding citizen could quickly draw and blow the criminals head off. If I were a criminal I'd rather move to your state and rob you because I know you obey your laws & have no defense. You're easy picking and I can intimidate you not with violence.. .but with the mere presence of something that even looks like a firearm.

-jd

Oscar60
10-03-2011, 10:41
Jdog.......I hear what you're saying,though........When we as an intelligent person see something potentually dangerous or troublesome coming up,we should have enough sense to avoid it,right ? If you see a dog turd in your path you just don't step on it ,you avoid it.What I'm getting at is open carry might be ok some places,but how do you feel walking in the mall for some shopping and having to pass thru a couple of thug looking guys open carrying ? The odds are that if you encountered that crew in the parking lot,the movies,outside your favorite restraunt,you'ld avoid them,carrying or not.You see what I'm getting at,legal or not,open carry does bring a set of problems with it.And,why let the thug looking types even know that you have a little something for their asses ? Somebody has to try and get me to understand the reason for open carry ? Thugs are probably carrying their weapons concealed anyhow.....

kirgi08
10-03-2011, 10:51
NC is OC,I exercise that right.Granted,I'm west of Charlotte.If'n one is east of Charlotte,GATTTOTP is a very likely end.'08.

Jdog
10-03-2011, 12:05
...When we as an intelligent person see something potentually dangerous or troublesome coming up,we should have enough sense to avoid it
yes but you have to define to yourself what "dangerous & troublesome" is to you. I think your definition is wrong. You're the type that would probably see me and put me in that dangerouse and troublesome looking category even though I'm not. You have to change your way of thinking. It would just be easier to get your CCW then you wouldnt be as afraid as you are.

What I'm getting at is open carry might be ok some places,but how do you feel walking in the mall for some shopping and having to pass thru a couple of thug looking guys open carrying ?

just fine. No reason to worry for some law abiding citizen wants to protect their own life and possibly yours also. You need to be not quit so scared. Chances are they wouldnt be just hanging out while open carrying. Never seen that. Public loitering could be a cause to inform local law enforcement.

The odds are that if you encountered that crew in the parking lot,the movies,outside your favorite restraunt,you'ld avoid them,carrying or not.
true

legal or not,open carry does bring a set of problems with it. I don't agree there's a whole set of issues... but only if the person open carrying is a total idiot like when a guy in my area carried an AR-15 rifle on his back when he was at the mall. It was legal but the cops told him to go home and not be an idiot or he was going to ruin the right for everyone else. Annoying laws are only passed because somebody abuses their rights and pushes it to the limit. That's why we have so many amendments and little nit-picky laws the democrats anti-rights activists have passed.

And,why let the thug looking types even know that you have a little something for their asses?
They don't even have to know. But if they know anything about their own area, they'll probably know if there's a chance you can protect yourself or not. That's why most people conceal carry instead. Just tuck your shirt in to expose your gun if you want. That way they'd know you have the means to protect yourself. Suddenly they don't appear so "thugly" afterall. They might suddenly be on the same level as you.
Let's say if the libertards of this country banned all guns and knives... then you'd be open carrying a sharp fork or brass knuckles instead. An eye for an eye.... but nobody should not be able to defend themselves.
Gradually your particular geographic area doesnt have so many thugly looking people in it anymore. Why bother trying to intimidate if it doesnt work anymore. The act of intimidation is greatly diminished and the local society doesnt have quite so many "segregated" looking crowds and everyone starts getting along better and trusts and respects people more in my opinion.

Somebody has to try and get me to understand the reason for open carry ? what you're saying is for us to come up with a reason why you shouldn't take our rights to defend ourselves away from us. There doesn't have to be a good enough reason for you. (you'd be a good democrat) As a U.S. citizen you should have the right to keep and bear arms as a law abiding citizen period. To protect the life of yourself and your fellow citizens is a privilege we've fought for since we divorced the king of england in 1776. Those poor people in england that can't even discuss a firearm without being prosecuted are at the whim of any criminal and are subject to anyone who even brandishes any type of firearm. (bunch of suckers)

Thugs are probably carrying their weapons concealed anyhow.....yep... but if those thugs have any reason to suspect their intended victims have the same thing then those thugs usually think twice (or just move to your state)

barstoolguru
10-03-2011, 13:41
What is the sense of open carry if you can't have a loaded gun? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Jdog
10-03-2011, 13:47
What is the sense of open carry if you can't have a loaded gun? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

why couldnt you ?

RGbiker
10-03-2011, 16:14
why couldnt you ?

California law.

Oscar60
10-03-2011, 16:49
Jdog........Somewhere along the line you said I was afraid,scared,probably a democrat and other incorrect assumptions. I retired out of state prison,worked the worst area's of prison,been carrying a pistol for over 40 years and have a combat action ribbon.Don't think because a guy is coming to a forum without a loudmouth, toughguy manner that he is a wimp asking for assistance from John Wayne.All my questions and comments were meant to receive an intelligent and reasonable response.I don't even know if my state has open carry but was trying to understand the reason for it when I think you are better served being concealed.For a while there I thought you might enlighten me with your reasoning and experience,but you're not the knowledge base I was looking for................:steamed:

RGbiker
10-03-2011, 18:00
Jdog........Somewhere along the line you said I was afraid,scared,probably a democrat and other incorrect assumptions. I retired out of state prison,worked the worst area's of prison,been carrying a pistol for over 40 years and have a combat action ribbon.Don't think because a guy is coming to a forum without a loudmouth, toughguy manner that he is a wimp asking for assistance from John Wayne.All my questions and comments were meant to receive an intelligent and reasonable response.I don't even know if my state has open carry but was trying to understand the reason for it when I think you are better served being concealed.For a while there I thought you might enlighten me with your reasoning and experience,but you're not the knowledge base I was looking for................:steamed:

Relax and take a deep breath.

Here's a link to the Utah subforum on opencarry.org site... Folks there should be able to answer your questions on OC in Utah:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?128-Utah

nastytrigger
10-03-2011, 18:43
I open carry multiple times a week. Mostly on weekends. I carry big pistols, mostly my G21. I've concealed for so long, I'm tired of it.

During the day, at work, I carry concealed, a G19. Boss says I have to keep it concealed.

After work, going out to eat, shopping, library, movies, getting gas, etc, I open carry. I never have any issues, even in posh anti-gun areas. Indiana's a very gun-friendly state. The best part is getting a smile, nod, or meeting a new friend who also open carry's.

Oscar60
10-03-2011, 20:30
RGbiker..............Thanks for the tip,I'm sure I'll get better understanding of the mindset there.....And thanks for the comments on GT also !

Hour13
10-03-2011, 21:06
I retired out of state prison,worked the worst area's of prison

Strange...

If anything, I'd think that you'd understand that even in OC states, the same rules still apply. You have to be legally allowed to have a gun. Violent crime offenders, the diagnosed mentally unstable/chemically dependent... cannot.

As well, not every tattooed, scruffy looking character out there, is a "thug", as you put it. Wearing polos & khakis? Believe me, some of the sickest minds this country has seen, were "such nice young men".

"Thugs" are not going to OC, on the off-chance that this may earn them an unwanted conversation with an LEO.

Oscar60
10-04-2011, 07:40
Hello ! Yes,the same requirements still apply,but when has legallity stopped criminals from doing whatever they want ? They're not allowed to own a gun,but they have them.Nobody is allowed to mug anybody,but so what,the criminal type still does it.Even in prison they robbed each other. And no,clothes do not make a man,but most jitterbugs like to dress ''the thug culture'' style.That style is a heads up for me.Yes,some of the worst crimes come have been committed in a suit.And I never said all scruffy looking guys are thugs...,but LEO's keep that charactoristic in mind.Don't think thugs won't carry OC,if they're in an area where nobody will recognize them,they'll do as they damn well please.After all,doing as they please,despite the law,is part of they're style,and most of them are skilled at it.....Take care and watch you're back....

Oscar60
10-04-2011, 18:32
RGbiker.......I went to that site you showed me,very good ,lots of info.Too bad Penna is soooo different than Utah ? Our crime is very high here and we have tons of wannabe gangsters.You just wouldn't believe their mindset ? Good luck to you and thanks.........Oscar60

Hour13
10-04-2011, 19:35
Hello ! Yes,the same requirements still apply,but when has legallity stopped criminals from doing whatever they want ? They're not allowed to own a gun,but they have them.Nobody is allowed to mug anybody,but so what,the criminal type still does it.Even in prison they robbed each other. And no,clothes do not make a man,but most jitterbugs like to dress ''the thug culture'' style.That style is a heads up for me.Yes,some of the worst crimes come have been committed in a suit.And I never said all scruffy looking guys are thugs...,but LEO's keep that charactoristic in mind.Don't think thugs won't carry OC,if they're in an area where nobody will recognize them,they'll do as they damn well please.After all,doing as they please,despite the law,is part of they're style,and most of them are skilled at it.....Take care and watch you're back....

I'm with you on most of that. My comment was in regards to "thugs" open carrying.

They me be ballsy at times, but they're also paranoid of run-ins with LEOs. A criminal breaks the law, yes. And do criminals who aren't allowed to have guns, get them anyway? Of course.

But you aren't going to see a "real" thug open carrying a gun, any more than you'll see him in the mall, with a bag of crack-rocks hanging on a chain around his neck.

The people you see openly carrying a gun, regardless of attire, are the ones you DON'T need to fear.

With the possible exception of the "mall ninjas".
:rofl:
Those guys worry me a bit.

Oscar60
10-04-2011, 20:17
Some thugs don't want a run in with the law,but you're under the assumption that they think like most people ? They're daring,ballsy and do all the stupid stuff they do to ''up'' their rep.You know they're going to carry like everyone else because ''why should the popo come down on them when they're behaving''? In my state there was an officer who killed a man at a gun range to steal his 308 auto and silencer.People do some real criminal stuff when they're feeling ballsy and being stupid ! Don't count out anybody on your ''assumption'' list.Kind of like the Marines say,"Be friendly to everybody,but also be prepared to kill them". Carrying a gun is real serious business....:upeyes:

Jerry
10-05-2011, 09:53

In Louisiana it is legal to OC. Thugs don’t! They know better than to give an LEO a reason to start asking questions. LEO’s do not need probable cause to ask questions only to search. They do “ILLEGALLY” carry canceled guns.