First Suppressor Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First Suppressor Questions

BKG-22
10-02-2011, 16:53
Have done a fair amount of research on suppressor purchase, ownership, and cost. Looking to move forward here shortly. Have several questions. I don't have a specific application for the suppressor yet - more of a curiosity at this point.

1. To maximize suppression effect, sounds like subsonic ammo is the way to go. .22 and 45acp seem to be the natural fit. 9mm subsonic ammo is not as readily available and 40SW/10mm pressures seem to minimize the perceived suppressor capability. Is this an accurate assessment? Are there other considerations?

2. Assuming you are legally permitted, does anyone conceal carry with a suppressor? Just seems it would be really difficult.

3. Looking at AAC, Thunder Beast, or Silencerco as my top three. Am open to experiences with these - good or bad, or another I should look at.

Thanks!

chemcmndr
10-02-2011, 20:54
I only have one suppressor at the moment (TAC65 in .22LR). Do your homework and buy the suppressor that you want and one that will last a lifetime. The re-sale on suppressors is almost non-existant unless you want to take a severe beating on the price. I've talked to people that literally gave the suppressor away when they sold the gun it went to.

If you're getting into them as a curiosity, go with a quality .22LR suppressor. They aren't too terribly expensive, and they're cheap to shoot. Once you play with that, then you will get a feel for whether or not you want to go with the larger caliber suppressors.

PlasticGuy
10-03-2011, 14:02
The .45 ACP is the most difficult of the common pistol calibers to suppress, due to the large bore diameter. The .40 is better, and the 9mm is better still. Subsonic 9mm is not hard to find. Anything 147 grain is subsonic.

Would I conceal a pistol with a suppressor? No. It adds a lot of weight and length, and really serves no purpose in ccw. The one exception might be a .22lr pistol.

If you are not 100% sure what you want to get, or even if a suppressor is a worthy addition to your collection, buy a .22lr suppressor. They are cheap, light, and very practical. Imagine practice and even small game hunting without needing hearing protection. If you're in the county, you can shoot in your back yard without bothering the neighbors. a bolt action .22lr rifle with a can is my choice for the most useful Class 3 set up. Everybody should have one.

Glockdude1
10-03-2011, 14:10
www.silencertalk.com

:thumbsup: