Anamosa Officer Found Dead [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anamosa Officer Found Dead

Nick.45
10-03-2011, 15:00
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20111003/NEWS/111003010/UPDATE-Anamosa-police-officer-was-found-dead-on-a-bridge

The officer was found dead in the middle of a pedestrian bridge with his car nearby. No other details have been released other than he died early Monday and it is not considered suspicious.

FiremanMike
10-03-2011, 15:07
Another one slips through the cracks :(

rookie1
10-03-2011, 15:25
http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Anamosa-Officer-Killed-While-On-Duty-130966423.html

This report states they think he took his own life.

I hate a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Detectorist
10-03-2011, 15:28
R.I.P. Officer David S. Riches.

Patchman
10-03-2011, 17:33
Condolences to his family. May they eventually find closure.

IGotIt
10-03-2011, 17:39
Sorry to hear this. R.I.P Officer, and condolences to the family, friends, and co workers.

IndyGunFreak
10-03-2011, 18:13
RIP... I hate hearing this.

NoGlamour229
10-03-2011, 18:29
All around bad deal, for everyone involved. Prayers for everybody.

4949shooter
10-03-2011, 19:51
I hope his demons are no longer haunting him.

Hack
10-03-2011, 20:16
Suicide. Terrible for the victim, and worse for the family, and friends left behind. It is not a good solution. Prayer for those whom he left behind.

mikegun
10-03-2011, 23:33
RIP, now at peace...prayers

Goldendog Redux
10-03-2011, 23:56
Dude shoulda gone to a different jurisdiction. Condolences to his family and coworkers who responded.

NoGlamour229
10-04-2011, 00:30
http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Anamosa-Officer-Killed-While-On-Duty-130966423.html

This report states they think he took his own life.

I hate a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Did KCRG disable the link?

blueiron
10-04-2011, 01:13
Please keep on top of this and don't assume it is a suicide until it has determined beyond the reasonable shadow of a doubt.

Many of us are still waiting for resolution about Sergeant Sean Drenth of the Phoenix, AZ PD.

Ajon412
10-04-2011, 03:53
Prayers....

Deployment Solu
10-04-2011, 04:16
RIP Brother.

DaBigBR
10-04-2011, 09:04
Please keep on top of this and don't assume it is a suicide until it has determined beyond the reasonable shadow of a doubt.

Many of us are still waiting for resolution about Sergeant Sean Drenth of the Phoenix, AZ PD.

FWIW they have released the basic following chain of events:

-Officer goes on duty.
-Officer sends text message to his brother. Contents of message not released.
-Within 15 minutes of sending the text message, the dispatch center dispatches another officer to the location where the officer died.

The department has all but said that it was suicide, and the text message certainly supports that.

banger
10-04-2011, 09:17
We've got to do a better job of screening these people out before hiring.

The "problem" has always been with us to some extent, but seems much more prevalent now.

DaBigBR
10-04-2011, 09:22

The "problem" has always been with us to some extent, but seems much more prevalent now.

Screening them out how? What tools do we have to detect that a person, after seeing years of tragedy or experiencing whatever personal life issues, will eventually take their life?

banger
10-04-2011, 13:49
Screening them out how? What tools do we have to detect that a person, after seeing years of tragedy or experiencing whatever personal life issues, will eventually take their life?

Perhaps, a more complete psychological evaluation before the hiring process begins.

Perhaps, relieving an officer of duty when he displays symptoms of being self destructive.

Perhaps, allowing those he works with to anonymously submit names for extra scrutiny.

We might not like these ideas, but there are things we can do.

Ajon412
10-04-2011, 14:08
Perhaps, a more complete psychological evaluation before the hiring process begins.

Perhaps, relieving an officer of duty when he displays symptoms of being self destructive.

Perhaps, allowing those he works with to anonymously submit names for extra scrutiny.

This isn't alway the case. I've worked with and have know several in LE that chose this path after being hired and spent anywhere from 10-15- 20 years on a department before taking their own lives. Some chose to seek professional help and some did not. It's not always that "cut and dry"...As I've said before, a struggle with personal demons is not an easy thing to live with or overcome....Just my .02

This precisely....

DaBigBR
10-04-2011, 15:07

Psychological exams are commonplace in LE agencies, as are early intervention programs. In this case we are talking about a very small agency where officers would not have contact with as many other officers on a day-to-day basis. To be honest, I'm a little surprised that they even had two cars out, and would not be surprised if one of them was a reserve officer or they were working an overlapping schedule.

2-8 Marine
10-04-2011, 16:06
:thumbsup:

misunderestimated
10-04-2011, 16:30

I think they need a way for a person having troubles to be able to get help for there troubles with out putting there career in jeopardy. Walk it off,Buck up, Don't be a sissy, It is what it is . Is not the type of counseling that's needed

Unfortunately they suffer alone until they cant cope and we end in a situation like this.

As the other fellow stated I hope he found peace

I will say a prayer for him and his family tonight

Hack
10-04-2011, 21:51
I think they need a way for a person having troubles to be able to get help for there troubles with out putting there career in jeopardy. Walk it off,Buck up, Don't be a sissy, It is what it is . Is not the type of counseling that's needed

Unfortunately they suffer alone until they cant cope and we end in a situation like this.

As the other fellow stated I hope he found peace

I will say a prayer for him and his family tonight

We actually have that in the form of an EAP. Unfortunately not all departments are able to afford that due to financial considerations. However there are counsellors; ministers; and so on who are willing to be of some help. Also, if it can be determined who has too much on the plate to handle maybe a fellow officer can help somehow. There are police and law enforcement organisations that may be of help. But, best of all it is us keeping notice of each other and being there for each other, without judging each other. We're all human, humans have failure points. Once some see and experience enough of the suck it can get pretty hard to deal with.

Hack
10-04-2011, 21:54

Don't misunderstand me, as I believe you have good intentions. But, humans being humans don't always show readily visible signs of doing themselves or others into a dirt nap. Also, not all departments have the resources to deal with these things, operating on a shoestring budget.