Blueray burners... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Blueray burners...

pal2511
10-03-2011, 17:50
You guys think Blueray burners are worth it yet?

How many of you guys /gals have one?

Any models to stay away from?

I would like a new dvd-r drive that took SATA instead of IDE so I'm in the market for a new optical drive.
I figured in another year the blueray writers will be $50 so I might as well get one now instead of waiting a year and spending $50 in addition to the dvd-r drive this week.

srhoades
10-03-2011, 20:51
Price doesn't seem too bad. Between $90-$130 bux, depending on the amount of cache.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=600&name=Blu-Ray-Burners&Order=REVIEWS

srhoades
10-03-2011, 20:52
However a SATA burner is $20. So if you don't really need blue ray now, I say just wait.

TknoGeek
10-03-2011, 21:16
Yeah, I have a Pioneer BDR-206 that works well for me. I typically use BDs for archiving video files. If you don't need large storage on disc or Blu-Ray movie burns, DVD drives - and media - are less expensive. On the other hand, BD drives are not a whole lot more and can handle burning CDs, DVDs, and BDs.

CitizenOfDreams
10-03-2011, 21:57
I have been thinking about buying a BD drive for data backups, but external hard drives are still cheaper and more convenient.

JimmyN
10-04-2011, 03:38
I have an LG Bluray burner, works fine. The problem with burning Bluray's is the cost of the blank media. In bulk packs you can get blank DVD's in the 15~18 cent range, single layer Bluray blanks will run about a dollar each if you shop some, but dual layer Bluray blanks are still 5~10 dollars each.

But the price will continue to drop. I remember when blank dual layer DVD's were running $5 each.

GIockGuy24
10-10-2011, 07:54
The blanks cost too much for me. I haven't checked the price of dual layer DVD's lately but regular DVD's are plenty cheap and I think dual layer DVD's are likely still more than twice the price. Last time I checked they were 5 times the price.

handyman
10-10-2011, 19:23
Last year got a sony laptop and it had one, tried burning to discs and having tons of problems getting then to play on different players.