Has anyone seen one of these yet? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen one of these yet?

Detectorist
10-03-2011, 22:52
Kid will be kids, Right.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/bottlebomb.asp

Whatever happened to the old diet cola and Mentos trick? I guess kids need more excitement today or something.

scrapinby
10-03-2011, 23:38
They've been doing those since I was a high schooler in the mid 90's. I've heard that dry ice works good too. Rumor has it if you lock said dry ice bomb in the trunk of your car, it will blow your rear speakers.

DoogieHowser
10-04-2011, 08:01
Get them all the time on the campus, the fire marshal got involved and charged them when we find em.

bccop
10-04-2011, 18:53
We dealt with a few of those about 3 years ago.

Cav
10-04-2011, 19:16
In 1989 I had a class at Fort Ord CA that teached us how to make devices like that, only on a bigger scale (about the same things used).

In the mid 90's the MRE's bombs came around with the heater.

About 9 years ago we started dealing with MRE bombs and dry ice. We charged for an explosive weapon. Felony just like a short barrel firearm or a machine gun. Kids stopped making them rather fast once word got out.

rookie1
10-04-2011, 21:05
Back in high school I made one. The bottle just swelled up and stayed like that for 2 days until I threw it into a barrel with a fire and it popped. Didn't do it again, wasn't that fun. I guess I did it wrong.

nursetim
10-04-2011, 21:34
the formula is old, so old my step father taught it to me in the 70's, I would think that the lye would eat through a plastic bottle. we used to mix it in a glass coke bottle attach a balloon with a cloth "fuse", light and release, fire would ignite the hydrogen.

93GT
10-05-2011, 10:24
Yeah some "people" I knew in middle school and highschool used to make these. It works with a lot of other things than Draino, but I won't go into details. They seem harmless enough as most dangerous things do to teenagers. I don't recall anyone doing anything malicious with them, just making them to see if they worked. I would imagine they have been around for a long time, but the earliest I remember seeing them was probably in the mid 90's. No one got arrested, they just turned 16 and started driving and chasing girls for excitement instead.

trifecta
10-06-2011, 23:32
I regularly, but not often work one of these or similar cases involving regular fireworks. Never had anyone hurt by them, but the mailbox never survives.

I've seen devices that completely destroyed a heavy galvanized trash can and bent the lid in half, sending it 205 feet. Would not have been a good day if they timed it wrong.