Bad habits picked up on the job [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bad habits picked up on the job

CarloTwoGuns
10-04-2011, 04:09
I have picked up a 'bad' habit as of late. Anybody heard of camel Snus? .. Well yea .. I just started doing it .. Seems like with the down time on the job you are bound to either smoke or dip or something of the nature

clancy
10-04-2011, 06:00
I had a cousin who used Copenhagen. After developing mouth cancer, and learning that he would basically have to have his tongue, lower jaw and palate removed, he committed suicide. Another close friend just had all his teeth and a part of his tongue removed due to his addiction to chewing tobacco.

I would recommend finding another bad habit to occupy your time.

JohnnyReb
10-04-2011, 06:10
I have picked up a 'bad' habit as of late. Anybody heard of camel Snus? .. Well yea .. I just started doing it .. Seems like with the down time on the job you are bound to either smoke or dip or something of the nature

I was a light smoker for a few years (like a half pack a day), then began dipping skoal (Vanilla, Mint, Peach), also I've been known to pick up a bag of redman a few times a year.

I believe its like anything else in life, moderation is key.

collim1
10-04-2011, 06:47
Snus wont give you a buzz like a real can of Skoal. Several guys I work with have the Snus to quit dipping, it doesn't really have the juice a real dip does.

Its really a nasty habit, and I am glad I quit cold turkey about 6 years ago.

Now I just drink diet Pepsi like a fool all night long on night shift.

RetailNinja
10-04-2011, 08:59
I've given three guys I work with so much **** that they quit dipping and started chewing gum. I showed one of them that (at his rate) if he put the money he spent on Kodiak into a jar, within two years he could buy an Ed Brown.

Two of them were put in to a street crimes unit together and started dipping again.

Slow nights and peer pressure are a ***** I guess.

DaBigBR
10-04-2011, 09:06
Seriously quit that ****.

bci21984
10-04-2011, 10:16
at the time my wife was still at the girlfriend level and I used to Dip. I was informed that I had a choice to make, sex or copenhagen. going on 8 years without a dip now. I used sunflower seeds to help kick that habit.

RVER
10-04-2011, 14:13
Anybody heard of camel Snus? ..

Carlo,
Never heard of it. Really, what is it? Doesn't sound too healthy for ya, stick to Newports if you want to commit an expensive suicide.
:cool:

rudeboy3
10-04-2011, 17:43
After chewing over a can of Copenhagen a day I finally quit cold turkey in June :wave:

collim1
10-04-2011, 17:59
After chewing over a can of Copenhagen a day I finally quit cold turkey in June :wave:

Did you put in a requisition for your new pants yet?

I gained about 20lbs after giving up tobacco, that was over 6 years ago and I am still carrying it.

packsaddle
10-04-2011, 18:05
enjoyed copenhagen for 14 years.

quit for 8 years after first son was born.

picked up copenhagen again in the academy.

quit after graduation.

started chewing levi garrett.

still chewing levi garrett.

thinking about quitting again.

work with a couple of guys with 40+ years of copenhagen each and still dipping.

to each his own.

bccop
10-04-2011, 19:28
Seriously quit that ****.

No kidding. Only a handful of co-workers up here dip and I think it is fu&$ing disgusting.

We also have very few smokers on our job.

blueberry1177
10-04-2011, 19:58
whoops I was thinking this thread would relate more to bad habits on traffic stops or catching yourself in the fatal funnel once or twice....

anywho I don't see the need to smoke or chew I have been around it my whole life so I guess I don't feel the pressure.

As one of our SWAT/former marine guys always says, "smoking is a sign of weakness" and for that I have been able to find other things to do keeping his voice in the back of my mind

Bullman
10-04-2011, 20:31
I have given up real ciggies for the e cigarettes. I was up to about a pack of Camel mentol silvers a day when I was at work ( don't smoke at home) and my old friend the hack was coming back. Now a filter lasts me about a week, I have that whole hand to mouth thing going on to occupy my time at night doing business checks. I don't cough, still get some nicotine and thinking of giving it all up here soon. Maybe.

Hack
10-04-2011, 21:36
I admit it, I use snus. Tobacco is an old thing with me, that I give up and finally it seems like it comes back again. It helps me to stay awake, when that is needed. I also occasionally smoke a tobacco pipe.

ateamer
10-04-2011, 21:52
I dipped Cope from 14 to 21 (I'm 44 now). I was never hooked on it, and never finished a can before it went dry, but I am still glad that I quit it. Probably would puke if I tried it now. Oh, and we were allowed to dip in class in high school. There was also a designated smoking area on campus.

Hack
10-04-2011, 21:55
I dipped Cope from 14 to 21 (I'm 44 now). I was never hooked on it, and never finished a can before it went dry, but I am still glad that I quit it. Probably would puke if I tried it now. Oh, and we were allowed to dip in class in high school. There was also a designated smoking area on campus.

I think I would be showing my age if I said we had a designated smoking area. The funny thing, no age restrictions were enforced.

ateamer
10-04-2011, 22:31
Heck, my mom knew I dipped and was okay with it. She later said that she knew I wasn't dipping all that much and knew that it wasn't something that I'd be doing for life. She actually even bought me a can once when the clerk at the local Quik Stop refused to sell because I was under age. (Probably shouldn't have been as much of a smartass and gone out of our way to annoy him and he wouldn't have looked twice at who was trying to buy a can.)

msu_grad_121
10-04-2011, 23:22
whoops I was thinking this thread would relate more to bad habits on traffic stops or catching yourself in the fatal funnel once or twice....

This.

I'm glad I never got into the tobacco thing (although I have been known to enjoy a cigar from time to time). I did however, pick up a caffeine addiction working midnights. Between the coffee, pop and Monster energy drinks, I'm sure I aged my body a ton, and did it no favors in the process.

Although I will say that a triple dose of creatine washed down with a Monster is like jet fuel for those physical agility tests. And bonus, you don't puke very much from it! :supergrin:

JohnnyReb
10-05-2011, 00:40
I have given up real ciggies for the e cigarettes.

What's that like? I've been a litttle curious about it.

I've tried this http://www.dissolvabletobacco.com/main-w.html it was different, but not bad.

scottydl
10-05-2011, 07:38
I believe its like anything else in life, moderation is key.

Most folks have a pretty hard time moderating a chemical/physical addiction. You gotta make the decision to quit.

Glad I never started on tobacco and it always seemed fairly disgusting... many guys I know on the job use it in some form or another. I feel bad for their families, who will eventually be the long-term innocent victims.

I drink a 1/2-full Mountain Dew per overnight shift, that keeps me interested and awake enough most nights. I used to get caffeine withdrawal headaches on my days off, but that doesn't happen anymore thankfully.

CAcop
10-05-2011, 09:57
Many years ago I smoked a few cigs a day on my own time. As soon as I did it on a long shift I realized I was hooked. After a few stops and starts I quit. I smoked cigars but quit that almost a decade ago.

buddah
10-05-2011, 10:10
Here's a bad habit myself and just about every LEO I know acquired or has gotten worse since they have been on the job: CUSSING like a F------g truck driver.

msu_grad_121
10-05-2011, 10:52
Here's a bad habit myself and just about every LEO I know acquired or has gotten worse since they have been on the job: CUSSING like a F------g truck driver.

Absolutely. The funny thing is, do you notice you can turn it off "just like that?" Women, children, my holy roller friends, if I'm around anyone that I shouldn't swear near, it just sort of goes away.

scottydl
10-05-2011, 11:00
The funny thing is, do you notice you can turn it off "just like that?"

Exactly, it IS one of those things you can choose not to do anytime. Very easy to stop, and generally there is little reason for swearing. Everything that needs to be said can be relayed just as effectively (and often in a more intelligent fashion) using "standard" English words.

Panzergrenadier1979
10-05-2011, 11:06
I don't smoke or dip.

But.... I have fallen back into an old habit of drinking fast food sweet tea. I really don't need the sugar night after night but it is soooo comforting to have a large sweet tea sitting in the cup holder during patrol. I just can't seem to stop cold turkey.

ateamer
10-05-2011, 12:56
Exactly, it IS one of those things you can choose not to do anytime. Very easy to stop, and generally there is little reason for swearing. Everything that needs to be said can be relayed just as effectively (and often in a more intelligent fashion) using "standard" English words.
Throwing in a few well-placed swear words, especially in imaginative combinations, makes the language more colorful.

scottydl
10-05-2011, 15:47
Throwing in a few well-placed swear words, especially in imaginative combinations, makes the language more colorful.

While I don't disagree with that along with the fact that sometimes certain language is downright entertaining, most of the time it's unnecessary and I still try to personally avoid it. ;)

Bullman
10-05-2011, 16:17
What's that like? I've been a litttle curious about it.

I've tried this http://www.dissolvabletobacco.com/main-w.html it was different, but not bad.

Not too bad, it isn't like a real cigarette, but we are trying to get away from that aren't we. :supergrin: I have heard tell that the regular ones are horrid, but the menthol ones that I am using aren't too bad. I can charge batteries for it off the MDT USB port so it has been working out pretty well for me. I bummed a real one the other day and it was horrible. I might be on the road to quitting, again. Need to stay that way.

msu_grad_121
10-05-2011, 16:37
While I don't disagree with that along with the fact that sometimes certain language is downright entertaining, most of the time it's unnecessary and I still try to personally avoid it. ;)

There have been times when I've found a well placed f-bomb will get someones attention with the quickness, but of course, just like anything, going over the top makes you look stupid and unable to communicate without them.

Bullman
10-05-2011, 18:18
And as I tell everyone.... sometimes you got to know when to say "I don't give a *******"

blueberry1177
10-05-2011, 21:25
well I kno that on the streets people don't understand a word your saying when trying to explain something until you drop a F bomb and street slang then they seeem to wake up. its funny really like speaking another language for some people

ateamer
10-05-2011, 21:44
well I kno that on the streets people don't understand a word your saying when trying to explain something until you drop a F bomb and street slang then they seeem to wake up. its funny really like speaking another language for some people
Like the trainee who asked a gangbanger "With whom do you prefer to associate?" Banger looked at him like he had a dick growing out of his forehead until I rephrased it as "who do ya kick it with, yo?"

blueberry1177
10-05-2011, 21:47
Like the trainee who asked a gangbanger "With whom do you prefer to associate?" Banger looked at him like he had a dick growing out of his forehead until I rephrased it as "who do ya kick it with, yo?"

couldn't of said it better brother. book smart is nice until you have to deal with people "whom" are barely even street smart

Agent6-3/8
10-05-2011, 21:48

This is exactly what came to mind when I saw the thread title!

As unpleasant as it may be, a profanity laced tirade is occasionally needed to make a point to the heatherns we deal with. Some folks jsut don't understand polite...

Gotta agree with scotty, however, I try to avoid using such language as much as I can. Overuse just makes you look plain stupid.

msu_grad_121
10-05-2011, 22:00

Funny you mention that, because at my worst, I'd catch myself in my personal life asking someone "where you stay, yo" instead of "where do you live" or whatever. :rofl:

Some years ago, the agency I was working for at the time put out a list of officers that can act as translators, along with what languages they spoke. Some smart aleck added my name to the list saying I could translate "ebonics and jive." :supergrin:

Pepper45
10-06-2011, 01:04
Used to dip, from about 16-21, switched to smoking. Dipping took up too much time on breaks at work, and the boss didn't want me getting chew spit on the side of a semi. Quit smoking for good this last June. Used Chantix, and I know I couldn't have done it without it. It still sucked, just not quite as much. Put on 20 pounds in about a month and a half. Now I'm eating healthier, almost no fast food. I'm slowly losing weight, and I feel better. I can run now and not sound like a wounded buffalo.

One step to life improvement at a time. Quitting smoking was #1, healthier eating habits is #2, exercise regimen will be #3. Might give up coffee for #4, but I doubt it.

Hollywood D
10-07-2011, 18:05
Only bad habits I have are hookers and blow.

CarloTwoGuns
10-10-2011, 05:25
Only bad habits I have are hookers and blow.

hahah love it

ggarciatx
10-10-2011, 09:29
about 15 years ago I worked with one of the biggest, baddest, meanest Deputies in the jail you would ever want for back up. His bad habit was Red Man. One night we got a intoxicated customer in the facility. I was booking him when he decided he did not want to cooperate anymore (our Sgt. wanted everyone booked when they were able to be). Frank came over and tried to convince him to cooperate when this guy rose out of the chair and punched old Frank in the stomach. In the ensuing gasp, Frank swallowed a ripened batch of Red Man chew and immediately turned every color in the rainbow. :ack:He started gagging and made a b-line for the restroom. :puking:The DWI stopped his fighting and burst out in laughter and sat back down and let himself be booked.

Hack
10-10-2011, 09:41
about 15 years ago I worked with one of the biggest, baddest, meanest Deputies in the jail you would ever want for back up. His bad habit was Red Man. One night we got a intoxicated customer in the facility. I was booking him when he decided he did not want to cooperate anymore (our Sgt. wanted everyone booked when they were able to be). Frank came over and tried to convince him to cooperate when this guy rose out of the chair and punched old Frank in the stomach. In the ensuing gasp, Frank swallowed a ripened batch of Red Man chew and immediately turned every color in the rainbow. :ack:He started gagging and made a b-line for the restroom. :puking:The DWI stopped his fighting and burst out in laughter and sat back down and let himself be booked.

Hmm ... did he take a bunch betwixt fore finger and index and place it into a jaw that was being held out by the other index finger and thumb? Too much chew at once makes one vulnerable. Don't ask how I know that.:supergrin:

ggarciatx
10-10-2011, 10:02
Hmm ... did he take a bunch betwixt fore finger and index and place it into a jaw that was being held out by the other index finger and thumb? Too much chew at once makes one vulnerable. Don't ask how I know that.:supergrin:

You got it right on the money.......:rofl:

indigent
10-10-2011, 18:39
I can't say as my bad habit is directly related to the job but my use of sarcasm has worsened exponentially over the years. I'm trying hard to keep it in check as I'm sure it will only haunt me when/if I ever get hired on patrol.

In other words I have no fracking filter.

w01
10-10-2011, 18:59
I can't say as my bad habit is directly related to the job but my use of sarcasm has worsened exponentially over the years. I'm trying hard to keep it in check as I'm sure it will only haunt me when/if I ever get hired on patrol.

Join up!

indigent
10-10-2011, 20:08
Ftw!!!!

vanilla_gorilla
10-10-2011, 21:28

11 years as a dispatcher has made me...caustic to an extreme. I'm so sarcastic that my coworkers always expect it of me. Now I work for a small town where EVERYBODY knows my boss, and I'm on the road, so I've got to really watch myself.

Hack
10-10-2011, 21:31
11 years as a dispatcher has made me...caustic to an extreme. I'm so sarcastic that my coworkers always expect it of me. Now I work for a small town where EVERYBODY knows my boss, and I'm on the road, so I've got to really watch myself.

It's kind of funny. For those whom I have worked with all of my FED CO career they have come to expect certain things of me, and then to occasionally expect the unexpected.

indigent
10-10-2011, 21:56
That's exactly how I am. I have co-workers who say, " we like when you work because you say all the things no one else will". I will admit it's humerous at times but I gotta get the filter working a some point before I hit the street.

Vigilant
10-10-2011, 22:00
I have found that, with the filter intact, it's not as much fun at the time, but there are also fewer rough spots in the road....

nikerret
10-11-2011, 17:40
I'm one of the very few who doesn't dip daily. I have used the Snus a few times, but it's rare. I never finish a tin before I lose interest, again.

Boring midnights, or not, I don't dip, smoke, or drink coffee or pop/soda; except, on rare occassions.

I think dip is discusting and hate when they spit their chaw on the floor or leave their spit cups/bottles laying around.
Have fun with this one: most of the guys I work with swallow.

Metro566
10-11-2011, 18:53
I can count on both hands the number of cops I work with that use dip. I used to in High School then got headaches...figured if I was going to get headaches anyway, might as well get em while I quit the crap.