NYC Officer's Actions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NYC Officer's Actions

Triple7
10-04-2011, 09:42
How do you think the Police reacted to the Wall Street Protests?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQW0hHa1WP4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyTGM4iCf08&feature=related
3:00 mins in the the bottom video.....

Not trying to flame....but really what is y'all opinion here?

RVER
10-04-2011, 12:44
How do you think the Police reacted to the Wall Street Protests? Not trying to flame....but really what is y'all opinion here?

How did they react? Better than me.

They were professional and displayed exceptional restraint. Me, I'm not so restrained anymore and probably would have been the topic of a post "How do you think this @#$% reacted to the mob at 3:00 mins - yea the guy choking someone out (or worse)...

They really did a great job.

Ajon412
10-04-2011, 13:41

They reacted as they were trained to do, to keep order and arrest those that need to be arrested / disturbing the peace (disorderly conduct). Trying to arrest someone who's resisting is one thing. Now try arresting someone at the scene of a demonstration, who's resisting AND retreating into an "angry crowd / mob"....:steamed:.. This takes it to an entirely different level... A You Tube video doesn't do it justice. ... You may not realize this, but not only are the Police being at taped by the public, but also by the PD for a review of tactics. I commend them for acting with restraint.

m2hmghb
10-04-2011, 14:03
I saw one TARU officer videotaping. The problem is the dummy was using his strong hand to do it with and his pistol was vulnerable.

Patchman
10-04-2011, 15:14
I think the demonstrators protesting against Wall Street resonates very sympathetically with everyone. Heck, I'd like to kick some Wall Street butt for losing a large chunk of my retirement and investiment monies since 2008.

But as for the NYPD's conduct, that has been for the whole a non-event except what was stirred up by the media.

Mass demonstrations seem to follow a certain characteristic. First they start out as fairly friendly. Then when the demonstrators realize no one is paying attention, or their messages are not resonating, plan B is to incite the police. Works great in getting tea and sympathy, and media attention.

actionshooter10
10-04-2011, 15:34
Didn't see anything inappropiate right off.

Did you have a specific complaint?

Nick.45
10-04-2011, 15:35
At 3:09 the chick in the black shirt and green bag takes a swing/swipe at one of the Sergeants, she is then arrested, I see no "police brutality". She learned that her actions have consequences.

Is it just my computer or is the video put in fast forward at around 2:55?

Mayhem like Me
10-04-2011, 15:58
I Smell patchoulli.....

Ajon412
10-05-2011, 03:42
But as for the NYPD's conduct, that has been for the whole a non-event

......except for all that Oscar Tango the guys and gals are making....Can you say, Ca Ching...:supergrin:

Mayhem like Me
10-05-2011, 13:56
I Smell patchoulli.....

.............and BO

AlexHassin
10-05-2011, 15:05
Most suspicious thing I have seen in the bottom video is the pepper spraying around 4:00. Othere then that, well looks ok to me.

4949shooter
10-05-2011, 15:39
At 3:09 the chick in the black shirt and green bag takes a swing/swipe at one of the Sergeants, she is then arrested, I see no "police brutality". She learned that her actions have consequences.

Then she did something else to the brass in the white shirt, which is what got her arrested, I think.

seanmac45
10-05-2011, 16:50
They're lucky I am retired. My reactions would be a huge YouTube sensation.

Morris
10-05-2011, 17:08
"The whole world is watching! The whole world is watching!"

Well no (poop) sherlock! In the age of YouTube, what the hell do you think?!

Fracking tards . . .

OLY-M4gery
10-05-2011, 23:20
Pepperball, bean-bags, Taser, Taser X-rep, gas grenades, OC, rubber bullets, all not used.

Cochese
10-06-2011, 00:15

Attention whores.

Spit on, or hit police with metal objects, expect to get an ass whoopin'.

:dunno:

Pepper45
10-06-2011, 00:46
I think they needed more fire hose, sting-ball grenades, and 3' sticks used for beating hippies. JMNSHO. What they did probably plays better on the news though.

bccop
10-06-2011, 19:32
I saw one TARU officer videotaping. The problem is the dummy was using his strong hand to do it with and his pistol was vulnerable.

That's kind of harsh calling him a dummy. Only problem is every camera I know of needs to be operated by the right hand (strap to support hand is meant for right handers and the LCD screen is on left side meaning you must carry it in your right). You'll notice there was another similarily dressed officer with the camera operator at all times to watch his back.

I was in our Forensic Identification Unit (just another name for CSI) and part of our mandate was videotaping demonstrations or other public gatherings. We always worked in pairs. One operated the camera and the other would watch his back and that was his only job.

I can't think of any other way to carry the camera properly but perhaps you could suggest a better way.

m2hmghb
10-06-2011, 20:07
That's kind of harsh calling him a dummy. Only problem is every camera I know of needs to be operated by the right hand (strap to support hand is meant for right handers and the LCD screen is on left side meaning you must carry it in your right). You'll notice there was another similarily dressed officer with the camera operator at all times to watch his back.

I was in our Forensic Identification Unit (just another name for CSI) and part of our mandate was videotaping demonstrations or other public gatherings. We always worked in pairs. One operated the camera and the other would watch his back and that was his only job.

I can't think of any other way to carry the camera properly but perhaps you could suggest a better way.

If you watch the video there are several times where his side is to the crowd and he's within spitting distance of the crowd. In addition if you look at his hand the videocam is synched down tight on the back of his hand so he can't drop it in a hurry. I'll rephrase what I said, he's not a dummy, but some of his actions weren't the wisest.

RocPO
10-06-2011, 20:25

It's still going on. Thus, I think NYPD should step up their game and collar EVERYONE who fails to comply the first time.

There was a time that I've heard of that there would be charges of mounted cops to clear such a scene.

3.slow
10-06-2011, 20:30
Don't eff with the police, even if you are right or wrong because you will receive an ass beating

bccop
10-06-2011, 20:37
If you watch the video there are several times where his side is to the crowd and he's within spitting distance of the crowd. In addition if you look at his hand the videocam is synched down tight on the back of his hand so he can't drop it in a hurry. I'll rephrase what I said, he's not a dummy, but some of his actions weren't the wisest.

I'll agree that he shouldn't be getting so close to the crowd. That is not his job. I also disagree with their choice of uniform. We wore level 3 holsters and regular uniform like everyone else. I wouldn't want to stand out with what they were wearing and have a plainclothes holster on a regular belt. At the very least I would be putting on a duty belt with a proper holster and other equipment for a situation like that.

bccop
10-06-2011, 20:39
I think they needed more fire hose, sting-ball grenades, and 3' sticks used for beating hippies. JMNSHO. What they did probably plays better on the news though.

Those sting ball grenades work very well. Especially if they are deployed just before an advance. You can take a lot of ground that way. :devildance:

Sharky7
10-06-2011, 21:33
I think any little snot who tries and fights the police at these events just show up to look for trouble and cause havoc. If you are really there to protest - go ahead and protest - it is your protected right to assemble in a peaceful manner. Don't start breaking laws or attempting to instigate fights with the police. The police are 3rd parties...they are not there to "protect" the 1%ers as they call it. If the 1%ers were out in your front yard with a large crowd disrupting traffic and breaking other laws, the police would be there as well to ensure safety and make appropriate arrests.

I didn't see anything wrong about the video. Real life police work is not always as "pretty" as the movies.

m2hmghb
10-06-2011, 21:59
Am I the only ones getting Deja Vu flashbacks to the 60s? I wasn't born then, but I have watched a lot of documentaries with footage from the protests and read up on it. It has the same kind of feel as the beginning of the Vietnam protests did.

Ajon412
10-06-2011, 22:47
There was a time that I've heard of that there would be charges of mounted cops to clear such a scene.

Watching Mounted Coppers clearing a street is a beautiful thing.....:whistling:

Dexters
10-07-2011, 06:24
No inappropriate action I could see.

I really hope those arrested and convicted get stiff fines.

evilwill
10-08-2011, 23:52
the OP of the video had an agenda..surprise, surprise. Here's an unedited version of the video. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6f0_1318015121The guys working were clearly provoked. Hell, the hippies were even counting down to when they would surge.
When the orders come down to take back the park and the streets these hippies are going to be in for a rude awakening.

MakeMineA10mm
10-09-2011, 06:17
I never second guess guys who were on scene. Too much peripheral stuff out of camera's eye, and/or background stuff that started before the video started rolling, etc. for me to make a judgement call about someone who was actually there.

RVER
10-09-2011, 07:07

Academia is best left in the classroom to be debated by intellectuals . The officer is doing his job under circumstances that "intellectuals" may discuss but most have never experienced, and if experienced (purely by accident might I add), would cause them to piss their pants (yes pants not trousers).

RVER
10-09-2011, 07:13
Am I the only ones getting Deja Vu flashbacks to the 60s? I wasn't born then, but I have watched a lot of documentaries with footage from the protests and read up on it. It has the same kind of feel as the beginning of the Vietnam protests did.

Me too. If only the music was so good... War is coming to a close, Hippies are speaking their mind, but where's the free "love"... I want the free love man...

RVER
10-09-2011, 07:19
It's time to break out the SOUP. What's SOUP? Well, a little bit of everything. You want to rock their world. OC + Flash Bang (or Sting Ball) + Bean Bag = SOUP.
You know that you got it right when their legs get all rubbery and their eyes are spinning.
:cool:

Mayhem like Me
10-09-2011, 07:53
two words "pepper fogger"